Forum Jump: 
post #5491 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 03:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsva View Post

That probably won't tell you much, since the camera may choose an exposure value that exposes the brights at a middle exposure level and "crushes" the blacks, or vice versa, has too bright a picture so the blacks are lighter than you would see them with your eyes compared to what the camera picks up. It's actually very difficult to match a camera's exposure to the way you see a scene, both in terms of brightness and white balance. The best chance would be by using a DSLR or other camera with manual exposure settings, by matching the camera's middle level exposure ("centered" meter reading) to a middle level tone in the scene (the hard part there is properly identifying, by eye, what constitutes a middle level tone in the scene; it might be possible by setting the camera's exposure using the "expert pattern" grayscale and setting the middle gray tone as a centered exposure in the camera, then shooting an actual scene from the blu-ray using those settings). Even then, what the camera records is not necessarily what you would see, since the camera's method of and capability for dealing with light-dark contrast in a scene is different than the method and capability of your eyes-brain.

I have one but I need to charge the battery. I am very busy so I am doubtful I have time to get this done. There is someone else that posted up pics with a DSLR 10-20 pages back...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5492 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 03:04 PM

Liked: 10
this is excellent. I have just learned about this AMP, I will follow your setting steps and confirm.

Thanks very much!
post #5493 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Real rudimentary question, once I enable Cal Day and Cal Night, do I have to switch between the two modes manually or does the TV do this automatically. I often watch the tv with the lights at the half way point, Is there a way to choose a middle setting?
post #5494 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 03:46 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by baltik View Post

Real rudimentary question, once I enable Cal Day and Cal Night, do I have to switch between the two modes manually or does the TV do this automatically. I often watch the tv with the lights at the half way point, Is there a way to choose a middle setting?

you could use 'eco' mode and it uses a light sensor BUT many do not use this as this will mess with the white scale.

Cal-Day and Cal-Night have to be manually switched over.
post #5495 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 05:14 PM

Liked: 22
Well my decision is made on whether or not to return my TV because of the white strip. I came home tody, turned on the TV and it has gotten much worse. Brighter and bigger. Guess I will keep my exchange date of 7 march. Hope the QC gets better!
post #5496 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 05:30 PM

Liked: 24
Maybe a good thing, huh? I mean, at least now you're sure it needs to go back. And look at it this way, now you get to look forward to your new set all over again! wink.gif
post #5497 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 05:50 PM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelt2000x View Post

Well my decision is made on whether or not to return my TV because of the white strip. I came home tody, turned on the TV and it has gotten much worse. Brighter and bigger. Guess I will keep my exchange date of 7 march. Hope the QC gets better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Maybe a good thing, huh? I mean, at least now you're sure it needs to go back. And look at it this way, now you get to look forward to your new set all over again! wink.gif

Dude, how many sets you gone through ?  But I think a wise decision, to return it.

Looking forward to get new set all over again, I would be dying.  Guess I hit the lotto, I wanna get my set, once, and enjoy.  Which I did/am....

Positive thoughts for you, Thelt...  Your next panel is gonna be the bomb.  Oh, wait, I didn't mean like it is going to blow up or anything...

Good luck with your next set, Thelt

post #5498 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout99 View Post

Dude, how many sets you gone through ?  But I think a wise decision, to return it.
Looking forward to get new set all over again, I would be dying.  Guess I hit the lotto, I wanna get my set, once, and enjoy.  Which I did/am....
Positive thoughts for you, Thelt...  Your next panel is gonna be the bomb.  Oh, wait, I didn't mean like it is going to blow up or anything...
Good luck with your next set, Thelt

Lol thanks. This will be my third set. First one was delivered and wouldn't turn on. This one has the strip. I really like this TV. I would be ok with some clouding or whatever but a strip that's getting worse? I can't deal with that especially since I can see it all the time. Like I said, hope the QC gets better
post #5499 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy12 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Unless a firmware update has changed something, read the following about the Natural picture mode.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/300#post_23163014

Sorry to have caused such an uproar with my post about liking Natural better than Movie. I copied your Movie setting exactly including your changes but I still seem in my minds eye have a picture that is just what I would call mellower and not as crisp as Natural. I certainly bow to your expertise and your points and others which make a lot more sense than anything I can say or know. I would like to follow where the expertise goes but the picture just isn't to our liking in Movie mode. My nieve expertise question is are there any setting in Movie I could adjust one way or the other to get that crisper picture that Natural has while still keeping the other good setting the posters talk that Movie has. Our room in daylight is what I would consider to be a little above average as fas a natural lighting....thank you sammy12

I wouldn't expect my display's settings to do any more than enhance some of the basics on someone else's. That, combined with personal preferences, can lead to a bad looking picture based on previous experiences. The best thing you can do short of a complete calibration with a meter is to set brightness, contrast, color, and tint with a "calibration" disk like the free AVSHD. If the resulting picture looks dull, turn up the backlight a bit and maybe the color control. They both increase color luminance and that may be more to your liking.

A few people wouldn't watch their TV in anything but the Vivid mode because of the way it "pops". I say have at it. I also say, "Turn your head and look around your house. That's the real world. If you want to watch cartoons then be my guest." THX enthusiastically requires us to have customers present when we calibrate so that they know what is going on, why, and what should be expected. The more education, the more they appreciate excellent flesh tones and other memory colors as well as detail in both the dark and light ends of the luminance scale. Unfortunately, much of this cannot be obtained without the proper equipment but you can get your display in the ball park with a disc.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #5500 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

I wouldn't expect my display's settings to do any more than enhance some of the basics on someone else's. That, combined with personal preferences, can lead to a bad looking picture based on previous experiences. The best thing you can do short of a complete calibration with a meter is to set brightness, contrast, color, and tint with a "calibration" disk like the free AVSHD. If the resulting picture looks dull, turn up the backlight a bit and maybe the color control. They both increase color luminance and that may be more to your liking.

A few people wouldn't watch their TV in anything but the Vivid mode because of the way it "pops". I say have at it. I also say, "Turn your head and look around your house. That's the real world. If you want to watch cartoons then be my guest." THX enthusiastically requires us to have customers present when we calibrate so that they know what is going on, why, and what should be expected. The more education, the more they appreciate excellent flesh tones and other memory colors as well as detail in both the dark and light ends of the luminance scale. Unfortunately, much of this cannot be obtained without the proper equipment but you can get your display in the ball park with a disc.

thanks for the advice. I moved backlight up to 18 and color to 52 and got a picture in Movie mode while keeping the rest of your settings that is significantly more to our liking. Picture seems pretty good to our eyes now so thanks again.
post #5501 of 7878 Old 02-24-2014, 11:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsva View Post

He's referring to the brightness level that's usually somewhere around 45. Adjustments to that setting establish the darkest gray/black tone that still retains detail with anything darker being totally black without detail.

To illustrate this, see measurements from my previous post.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4890#post_24332331

brightness 0IRE 1IRE 2IRE 3IRE 4IRE
44 0.043 0.043 0.057 0.082 0.114
45 0.043 0.05 0.068 0.102 0.142
46 0.043 0.056 0.081 0.113 0.168
47 0.049 0.066 0.099 0.139 0.209
post #5502 of 7878 Old 02-25-2014, 08:37 AM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by V_Pl_a View Post

I have a REQUEST for you!
Any owner of this HDTV, who also happens to have HD Video camera or hi-end smartphone, can you shoot your TV in absolutely dark room while your TV is playing The Dark Knight or Harry Potter series movie Blu-Ray? I want that TV is in the center of the focus to compare the display with surrounding darkness. Then upload the video to YouTube in HD quality. I just want to know how good is the black levels on these TVs. wink.gif
Anyone please post a video!
post #5503 of 7878 Old 02-25-2014, 08:42 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I can try later tonight. Can't promise the video quality. I have a SLR camera (Nikon) that does high def video.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #5504 of 7878 Old 02-25-2014, 03:33 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

Anyone please post a video!

The problem with that is the exposure and ISO and aperture and sensor differences on the camera(s) will not give a true representation of what the TV, more specifically the black level, looks like in person. Your only bet is to go to a local BB that has an F8000 in the dimmer Magnolia Home Theater show room.

I suppose we could try to take some picture or videos of the black level but I personally haven't been able to get my camera settings just so for it to give an accurate representation of what the TV looks like in person. I think the F8000 is best meant for daytime bright room viewing because that is where the contrast really is above the competition (including plasmas). The F8000 is absolutely stunning during the day because the black depth during the day appears darker than the black bezel. I've started turning on my living room lights when watching the TV at night and it does a lot to make the black level appear as deep as it does during the day.

The artistic show room shots of Top Gear's McLaren P1 review looked BRILLIANT on the F8000. I mean mind blowingly brilliant. The blackness of the car and shadows and the peak whites of the studio lighting and reflections and the beautiful geometries and materials of the car looked fantastic. The F8000 flawlessly renders the different deep shades of black and subtle coloring of the glossy orange brake calipers and brilliantly bright red LED taillights. The inner scene contrast while maintaining shadow detail and peak white detail is truly a sight to behold on the F8000. Such rich, details, subtle, natural images. You really do feel like you're looking at real objects with your own eyes at times. Very few TV's can reach the lofty heights of cutting out the middle man (camera and display) and displaying near true to life visuals. The F8000 during the day in a bright room is one of the best out there.

Enough sensationalism but I could honestly write a book about all the things that I enjoy about my F8000. I've had the F8000 since July of last summer and I still get ecstatic when I'm watching it. I could not be any happier with choosing the F8000. I expect to enjoy my F8000 for many years until OLED is matured and affordable. Anyways, happy watching!
post #5505 of 7878 Old 02-25-2014, 05:59 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

I tried to capture the video but it isn't perfect representation as DRN94 mentioned above. I can't post a clear enough capture to give the F8000 it's accurate representation.

Even getting a picture is kind of difficult due to all the dark scenes.

However, I can tell you that the black is black.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #5506 of 7878 Old 02-25-2014, 06:10 PM

Nice pic, HPQ, but unfortunately, like all photos posted here, it can only look as authentic as the viewer's monitor can display. On mine, it looks very good.
post #5507 of 7878 Old 02-25-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Nice pic, HPQ, but unfortunately, like all photos posted here, it can only look as authentic as the viewer's monitor can display. On mine, it looks very good.

Camera has to be calibrated for the room conditions as well. I'm curious though, is your computer screen calibrated?
post #5508 of 7878 Old 02-25-2014, 06:37 PM

No, it is not calibrated. I made no comparison to the F8000. I simply said on my monitor, it looks very good. Without an A/B or side-by-side comparison with the same program material, I don't think a valid comparison can be made. From my viewing experience though, I can assure V_Pl_a and you that to better this set's black level, you'll have to go top-of-the-line plasma or possibly the W900A. Check out the reviews. They're not wrong.
post #5509 of 7878 Old 02-25-2014, 06:43 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

I agree. Plasma would have a lot more black level then LED. Regardless, I am happy with the F8000. It's black level is acceptable to me.

post #5510 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 12:31 AM

Liked: 18
Thanks for suggestion to visit BB, but I live in Europe and the stores here don't have cinema-like show room to demonstrate TVs in darkness. So the video demonstration from you would help me greatly to be sure that it doesn't show grey tints in darkness. I know that plasmas have better black levels, but plasmas have several issues too like more power consumption and burn-in, so I want to be safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

I tried to capture the video but it isn't perfect representation as DRN94 mentioned above. I can't post a clear enough capture to give the F8000 it's accurate representation.

Even getting a picture is kind of difficult due to all the dark scenes.

However, I can tell you that the black is black.
It seems that your set has dead pixels. I see several colored dots on your display. Can you replace it under warranty?
post #5511 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 05:06 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quote:

It seems that your set has dead pixels. I see several colored dots on your display. Can you replace it under warranty?

What you are see is from my camera trying to capture details on a moving picture. The representation is not very accurate. Thanks for your concern. The TV doesn't have any dead pixels that I can tell. I have put on test patterns as well as solid colors and so far no issues from what I can tell. I am good with the TV. If any issues, I will check with my dealer but for now, I am good. smile.gif

For black levels, plasma is hard to beat but of course you have burn in and more electricity use and heavier set of course. I guess no TV is perfect. All has some flaws .. just a matter of how much of those flaws you can live with. smile.gif

update: The "dead pixel" is not from the TV, it is from the camera lens. My DSLR camera has some issues. I took pictures of empty walls in the house and the "spots" were very evident. Took several pictures and upon closer inspection, same spot. In some ways, I am happy it is not the TV but sad that it is the lens. Anyways, thought to update. smile.gif

post #5512 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 11:17 AM

Uh, where is the 3d button on the non-touch remote? Right now I have to keep going into the picture menu and turn it on from there. I thought there was a one button push solution.

post #5513 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by krekc View Post

Uh, where is the 3d button on the non-touch remote? Right now I have to keep going into the picture menu and turn it on from there. I thought there was a one button push solution.

Only the Smart Remote has a dedicated 3D button. The regular IR remote was a bit of an afterthought considering I had to go to Samsung to have one shipped to me for free. Fortunately I never use 3D for it to be bothersome.
post #5514 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

Only the Smart Remote has a dedicated 3D button. The regular IR remote was a bit of an afterthought considering I had to go to Samsung to have one shipped to me for free. Fortunately I never use 3D for it to be bothersome.

Or, get this remote...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0099CHEAY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

post #5515 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 04:06 PM

Liked: 11

Hi all,

Just got my UN60F8000 and am mostly thrilled.  However (and I hate to ask this), I think I am seeing spotlights from the 4 corners of the screen.  Is this something I can correct, or do I have a bad model?

post #5516 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekparrot View Post

Hi all,

Just got my UN60F8000 and am mostly thrilled.  However (and I hate to ask this), I think I am seeing spotlights from the 4 corners of the screen.  Is this something I can correct, or do I have a bad model?

pretty much either live with it and hope it goes down over time, or exchange it until you get one that isnt as bad. this is a major problem on edge lit LED tvs. some people will recommend turning down your backlight/brightness but to me that totally defeats the purpose of having a beautiful tv. thats like buying a race care but not being able to drive it fast once in a while because of an internal engine problem and people saying "just drive it slow and the problem will go away".

TV; SONY XBR65X850B 4k, previous was SAMSUNG 65 7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #5517 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

pretty much either live with it and hope it goes down over time, or exchange it until you get one that isnt as bad. this is a major problem on edge lit LED tvs.

One of the reasons I went with this model was that the edge lighting issues were supposed to be much better.  Just wondering if I have a bad one, or if I can expect this from any replacements

post #5518 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:

Hi all,

Do you have Smart LED on ?

Backlight not too high ?

post #5519 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout99 View Post

Do you have Smart LED on ?

Backlight not too high ?

Oh I didn't check those.  I used Buzz's settings, mostly, but I did turn the backlighting on.  I'll give that a try...

post #5520 of 7878 Old 02-26-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:

Oh I didn't check those.  I used Buzz's settings, mostly, but I did turn the backlighting on.  I'll give that a try...

You want Smart LED on, I set mine to High.  It helps with black levels, not sure if it helps with flash lighting.

I used to like my backlight around 10 - 13 during the day, maybe 8 at night.  Lately I tried 6 at night and like it.  Now, daytime BL around 8 or 9.  Experiment with the various Picture Options and Avdvanced setting. 

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page