Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 187 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5581 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LOL, I finally got a 2 min time according to the tv which translates to 20 min real time lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5582 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 11:37 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by stsva View Post

I've tried it - it's pretty easy to use, and has a lot of good reviews on Amazon, etc. It's good for getting the most important settings in the ballpark (obviously not as precise as instrumented calibration, but good enough), especially brightness and contrast, although I've recently been using the grayscale expert pattern in the TV's menu as my main method of tweaking white balance.

can the disney wow be used for the greyscale?

TV; samsung 65F7100
AVR: Sony 7.2 1040
Blu Ray: Oppo 103D
post #5583 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 11:51 AM

Liked: 12

Hello guys.

I just created a new account on AVS Forum, because I would like to ask a few things about Samsung F8000. Hope that you won't be too mad because I'm interrupting the debate.

I'm going to buy a new TV, hopefully in the next month or so, and because I'm planning to have it for at least 5 years, I really wouldn't like to buy anything wrong and throw alot of money away, so I would ask you owners a few qestions.

Somehow from all of the TVs available on the market I "fell in love" the most with the 55" F8000 and my friend can get it for a really cool price, so that's why I am planning to get it, but still I would like to ensure myself if it will be good for my needs and requirements. 

Here are the main things that I want from/on the new TV:

- great picture quality ofcourse (not just on Blu-Ray's and on high quality movies, but also on the standard cable channels; and good 3D quality also)

- as much Smart features as possible (the F8000 wins there for me, from all of the others on the market)

good connectivity with other smart devices like smartphone, tablet, PC...
- it must have Picture in Picture option
- option to record anything from a TV channels on USB or external disk
- thin edge/bezel

And the other thing that I would like to ask is, if it is true that this TV has a huge input lagg for gaming like they write in few reviews that I read on the web? With the new TV I'm also planning to play some games via PC connected to the TV, and I really wouldn't like to have any bad lagg issues or anything like that.

So I would really appreciate if you guys could tell me if the F8000 should be good for me, or should I choose something different?

Like I said, that's alot of money for me, and I really don't want to shoot away, so please understand all those questions. :)

Thanks alot for any help!

Kindest regards,

Sam.

post #5584 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 12:08 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
well, i can only comment on the below.

"- great picture quality ofcourse (not just on Blu-Ray's and on high quality movies, but also on the standard cable channels; and good 3D quality also)"

I have no complaints.
Blu ray Movies look great and of course high def channels (1080i) look great.
3d movies are great as well. The TV comes with 4 3d glasses.
SD channels are all dependent on the signal. Some look better then others but I don't blame the F800, it is the source.

"- as much Smart features as possible (the F8000 wins there for me, from all of the others on the market)"

I picked the F8000 since it had the most smart apps from all the reviews so you are fine here.

"- good connectivity with other smart devices like smartphone, tablet, PC..."

I have youtube on my ipad and iphone and I can click on the share and it shows up on the TV within a second and no issues.

I can also select pictures/video's from my PC on the TV just fine when I go to the network option on the TV.

"- it must have Picture in Picture option"

It does have PnP. I don't use it but I see it in the menu.

"- thin edge/bezel"

yes, it is very thin.
[URL=http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201312/20131223184830406/[ENG_US]FPATSCF-4.103.pdf]
You can get more from reading the manual[/URL].
sammiesamson likes this.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #5585 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

well, i can only comment on the below.

"- great picture quality ofcourse (not just on Blu-Ray's and on high quality movies, but also on the standard cable channels; and good 3D quality also)"

I have no complaints.
Blu ray Movies look great and of course high def channels (1080i) look great.
3d movies are great as well. The TV comes with 4 3d glasses.
SD channels are all dependent on the signal. Some look better then others but I don't blame the F800, it is the source.

"- as much Smart features as possible (the F8000 wins there for me, from all of the others on the market)"

I picked the F8000 since it had the most smart apps from all the reviews so you are fine here.

"- good connectivity with other smart devices like smartphone, tablet, PC..."

I have youtube on my ipad and iphone and I can click on the share and it shows up on the TV within a second and no issues.

I can also select pictures/video's from my PC on the TV just fine when I go to the network option on the TV.

"- it must have Picture in Picture option"

It does have PnP. I don't use it but I see it in the menu.

"- thin edge/bezel"

yes, it is very thin.
[URL=http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/201312/20131223184830406/[ENG_US]FPATSCF-4.103.pdf]
You can get more from reading the manual[/URL].

Thank you very much for those answers!

I think that it's gonna be a F8000. :P

post #5586 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 12:22 PM

Don't qoute me on this but the pip may be 2 different sources, not 2 different cable channels. Anyone confirm?
sammiesamson likes this.

TV; samsung 65F7100
post #5587 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 12:50 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray0414 View Post

Don't qoute me on this but the pip may be 2 different sources, not 2 different cable channels. Anyone confirm?
I believe you are right. I did a quick scan on the manual and it said 1 channel is tv show and 1 is blu ray movie.
sammiesamson likes this.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #5588 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 12:54 PM

Liked: 14
Someplace earlier in the thread (I think, maybe the other F8000 thread), there was discussion of this and it seems that two different sources are needed to put two channels in PIP. Whether you could split input from cable (e.g., use both hdmi and coax or some kind of splitter) to accomplish that wasn't discussed.
post #5589 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stsva View Post

I've tried it - it's pretty easy to use, and has a lot of good reviews on Amazon, etc. It's good for getting the most important settings in the ballpark (obviously not as precise as instrumented calibration, but good enough), especially brightness and contrast, although I've recently been using the grayscale expert pattern in the TV's menu as my main method of tweaking white balance.

can the disney wow be used for the greyscale?

Only if grayscale is way off. Grayscale, gamma, and color management all require a meter. One thing I truly like on the WOW disc is the advance brightness pattern (with the stars). I think it's the best and easiest to use of all the various discs.
aizen79 likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #5590 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 02:07 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by m6speed View Post

i tried to update yesterday and it said it would take 2 hours, after 2 hours it timed out, tried again later it said 4 hours, I canceled, tried a few min ago and now it's 6 hrs, guess i'll wait a few days

Same here.  I would up just getting it via the Samsung website and using a USB stick.  Took 2 mins to download, 2 mins to upgrade the TV.  I thought it was just me having issues, but my UN60F8000 is on a wired connection and all speed tests were fine.  Glad to know I wasn't missing something!

post #5591 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow201 View Post

Mine is set to manual too, but I periodically go and check, ie. I must have missed 1118 :P

Same here. Is the update being available the reason why the red light in the right hand corner blinks three times before the set powers on now? I feel like power on and off takes longer now... does this sound possible, or is my mind playing tricks on me?

post #5592 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
The built in Expert Pattern 1 in the Advanced Settings menu on the Picture settings is great for adjusting greyscale as well. Very easy to get a linear greyscale with Expert Pattern 1 by eye for those who don't have meter. I was able to get my greyscale impeccably linear. It may be the wrong temperature by a little but as long as it's linear you get the "looking through a window" effect.
post #5593 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm in need of some professional help with setting my Dune Media player to my F8000 set. I have some options on my Dune player that I have no idea what they are. Maybe someone knows can help me out here. These are all settings obviously in the "video" section of my Dune player.

Framerate - options are
disabled
50/60Hz
24/50/60Hz
24/60Hz

HDMI color depth: options are
Auto (EDID)
8bit
10bit
12bit

HDMI CEC: options are
Disabled
Enabled

Output Colorspace: options are
Auto
BT.601
BT.709
RGB-FULL
RGB-LIMITED

Default decoder colorspace: options are
Auto
BT.601
BT.709

I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the most out of my media player. A lot of content I watch is MKV files, which I know are compressed and won't have a stunning picture like a bluray but the TV shows I download with Sickbeard all come down in MKV format. I try to get as many in 1080 mode, but to save on space I sometimes grab 720 content as well. I have 22 terabytes on my media server and 7 terabytes left, so I'm always checking up on space.

Also, how the heck do you take a picture of the TV without getting a flash in the picture? I have an old Nikon D70 camera, which can take awesome pictures but I guess I should learn how to use it, right?

Thanks
post #5594 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiesamson View Post

Hello guys.

I just created a new account on AVS Forum, because I would like to ask a few things about Samsung F8000. Hope that you won't be too mad because I'm interrupting the debate.

I'm going to buy a new TV, hopefully in the next month or so, and because I'm planning to have it for at least 5 years, I really wouldn't like to buy anything wrong and throw alot of money away, so I would ask you owners a few qestions.

Somehow from all of the TVs available on the market I "fell in love" the most with the 55" F8000 and my friend can get it for a really cool price, so that's why I am planning to get it, but still I would like to ensure myself if it will be good for my needs and requirements. 

Here are the main things that I want from/on the new TV:
- great picture quality ofcourse (not just on Blu-Ray's and on high quality movies, but also on the standard cable channels; and good 3D quality also)
- as much Smart features as possible (the F8000 wins there for me, from all of the others on the market)
good connectivity with other smart devices like smartphone, tablet, PC...
- it must have Picture in Picture option
- option to record anything from a TV channels on USB or external disk
- thin edge/bezel

And the other thing that I would like to ask is, if it is true that this TV has a huge input lagg for gaming like they write in few reviews that I read on the web? With the new TV I'm also planning to play some games via PC connected to the TV, and I really wouldn't like to have any bad lagg issues or anything like that.

So I would really appreciate if you guys could tell me if the F8000 should be good for me, or should I choose something different?

Like I said, that's alot of money for me, and I really don't want to shoot away, so please understand all those questions. smile.gif

Thanks alot for any help!

Kindest regards,
Sam.

I did not see anyone comment on your requirement to be able to record TV via USB flash drive or hard drive. You cannot do that with the US version of this TV. Everything else you want is there. I believe you can only do that with older models and service providers have stopped tv manufacturers from being able to provide that functionality.

It is a awesome tv and you will probably love it. Just make sure you at least use a calibration disk like Spears & Munsil to get the black levels where you want them. The default settings are very bright and you will see banding or blooming when in torch mode.
sammiesamson likes this.
post #5595 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 04:05 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode11 View Post

I did not see anyone comment on your requirement to be able to record TV via USB flash drive or hard drive. You cannot do that with the US version of this TV. Everything else you want is there. I believe you can only do that with older models and service providers have stopped tv manufacturers from being able to provide that functionality.

It is a awesome tv and you will probably love it. Just make sure you at least use a calibration disk like Spears & Munsil to get the black levels where you want them. The default settings are very bright and you will see banding or blooming when in torch mode.

I wanted to here more about the direct record to thumbdrive as I read this in the manual or 'features' when I first purchased the TV. So the US tv model has this blocked even for OTA signals?
post #5596 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

I wanted to here more about the direct record to thumbdrive as I read this in the manual or 'features' when I first purchased the TV. So the US tv model has this blocked even for OTA signals?

Yup. It is not in the US manual or the PDF manual on the US Samsung website. I don't know about other countries. When you use the guide for OTA TV, you can only set the TV to view a future show. There is no record option. Cable and Satellite companies want you to rent a DVR. You can always set up a HTPC if you want a work around.
post #5597 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 04:51 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

I went to the tv and did the download. No issues for me.

post #5598 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 05:31 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Samsung or Sony for gaming PQ, any1?

post #5599 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 05:50 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:

it must have Picture in Picture option

Beware, HDMI is the Main picture and the RF coax input is the Sub picture; they can't be swapped, although for some strange reason, audio can be swapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmode11 View Post

Yup. It is not in the US manual or the PDF manual on the US Samsung website. I don't know about other countries. When you use the guide for OTA TV, you can only set the TV to view a future show. There is no record option. Cable and Satellite companies want you to rent a DVR. You can always set up a HTPC if you want a work around.

Even beyond service providers, it's probably an HDCP requirement so you can't get a bit-for-bit digital copy to bootleg. Also probably why the set's optical digital audio out will only output 2.0 PCM for an HDMI source. Only internally decoded signals like antenna and streaming sources can be set to output DD5.1, DTS, etc.
sammiesamson likes this.
post #5600 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

The built in Expert Pattern 1 in the Advanced Settings menu on the Picture settings is great for adjusting greyscale as well. Very easy to get a linear greyscale with Expert Pattern 1 by eye for those who don't have meter. I was able to get my greyscale impeccably linear. It may be the wrong temperature by a little but as long as it's linear you get the "looking through a window" effect.

DNR94 Could you be kind enough to explain me in more detail how do you setup the greyscale in order to get perfect whites ??? , with the expert pattern... 

Thank you in advanced for your help

post #5601 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 PM

Liked: 13
Oh man. I've been playing Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition the past few days and HOLY SMOKES, it's beautiful on this set. The blacks, contrast, and detail is amazing. Highly recommended for any Xbox One or PS4 owners here.

Samsung UN46F8000 • Onkyo TX-NR727 • Onkyo 7.1 Speakers • Xbox One • Wii U
post #5602 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mruschetti View Post

DNR94 Could you be kind enough to explain me in more detail how do you setup the greyscale in order to get perfect whites ??? , with the expert pattern... 

Thank you in advanced for your help

Go to the Picture settings, go down into the Advanced Settings, and near the bottom select Expert Pattern 1, hit back button, go up to White Balance, and there you go! You can now adjust the white balance settings while the Expert Pattern 1 is on screen. I don't know how it fully works but the Expert Pattern will sometimes close itself out when you don't want it to but you can easily turn it back on, just a little pain in the arse sometimes.

But the idea is to have a linear shade of grey across all shades. Standard Mode, on many Samsung TV's, tend to have a red hue near the lighter shades of grey which can negatively impact the picture quality. I would write down your current White Balance numbers first and then play around with the RGB gain to see how they visibly affect the greyscale. It's actually quite sensitive and easy for your eye to pick up on green and red bias but I found it tougher for my eye to pick up blue bias. But from what professionals say, blue bias is the best bias to have. I'm no expert either but as long as you can confidently say that your greyscale is at least linear across all shades then you're golden! Even if you're slightly cooler than the D6500K standard, it's better to have a linear greyscale than an uneven one.

If your White Balance needs correcting and you get the greyscale more linear than what you had before you'll instantly notice a "looking through the window" effect that professionally calibrated sets have. It took my 7 months of owning the F8000 to realize this so it's never too late! If you're still feeling like you can't get it by eye then it may be worth it to have a calibrator come out or to purchase a meter and "borrow" software off of some file sharing website tongue.gif Just to save some money where possible wink.gif
adcustom likes this.
post #5603 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

Go to the Picture settings, go down into the Advanced Settings, and near the bottom select Expert Pattern 1, hit back button, go up to White Balance, and there you go! You can now adjust the white balance settings while the Expert Pattern 1 is on screen. I don't know how it fully works but the Expert Pattern will sometimes close itself out when you don't want it to but you can easily turn it back on, just a little pain in the arse sometimes.

But the idea is to have a linear shade of grey across all shades. Standard Mode, on many Samsung TV's, tend to have a red hue near the lighter shades of grey which can negatively impact the picture quality. I would write down your current White Balance numbers first and then play around with the RGB gain to see how they visibly affect the greyscale. It's actually quite sensitive and easy for your eye to pick up on green and red bias but I found it tougher for my eye to pick up blue bias. But from what professionals say, blue bias is the best bias to have. I'm no expert either but as long as you can confidently say that your greyscale is at least linear across all shades then you're golden! Even if you're slightly cooler than the D6500K standard, it's better to have a linear greyscale than an uneven one.

If your White Balance needs correcting and you get the greyscale more linear than what you had before you'll instantly notice a "looking through the window" effect that professionally calibrated sets have. It took my 7 months of owning the F8000 to realize this so it's never too late! If you're still feeling like you can't get it by eye then it may be worth it to have a calibrator come out or to purchase a meter and "borrow" software off of some file sharing website tongue.gif Just to save some money where possible wink.gif

in not sure what u mean by linear across all shades. All mine on standard are set at 25 for each.

TV; samsung 65F7100
post #5604 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 08:04 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Also probably why the set's optical digital audio out will only output 2.0 PCM for an HDMI source. Only internally decoded signals like antenna and streaming sources can be set to output DD5.1, DTS, etc.

Interestingly enough I was able to get xbox 360 to go directly to TV and output to digital audio out AND get 5.1 DD. I sold the xbox 360 for the xbox one, which I am no longer able to get 5.1 via digital audio out. Now I am only able to get internal sources to output 5.1 via digital audio out.
post #5605 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 08:13 PM

Quote:

in not sure what u mean by linear across all shades. All mine on standard are set at 25 for each.

It's really hard to explain. Here are some pictures of my set.

Default WB on Standard:

Look's awful right? Notice the red hue on the higher end of the picture. There's also a greenish tinge to the highest shade of grey closest to white but you can't really notice it because of my camera. The middle looks okay but definitely a little too much red in the wrong places. Upon some lowering of the red and a little lowering of the green and a little increase to the blue I was able to get it much more uniform.

Here's my WB settings on Standard:

Much better! The weird yellowish splotch in the middle is from my desk lamp light and camera being weird. But notice how everything is a actually the color grey and doesn't have any weird red or green hues added to it. It's just pure unadulterated grey. This is what you want. So even if your peak white is cooler than the D6500K standard, it's better to have that consistent temperature throughout the entire greyscale. I've noticed that Standard is just a cooler temp than Movie Mode and I was unable to get a warm linear greyscale like Movie Mode can, so I settled on the cooler white but still have that linear greyscale to make the picture look like you're "looking through a window."

I'm doing the contrast ratio boosting trick that turbo found out so my white balance settings are rather absurd compared to conventional settings but I maintain the linear greyscale and have a slightly higher peak white which does noticeably increase the contrast ratio impact of the picture. But it is very hard to get a good balance by eye. I personally think I've gotten the best out of my F8000. It's contrast ratio is as high as the panel can physically go and I have a linear greyscale to give me that "looking through a window" effect. Couldn't be happier with the adjustments I've made by eye and I think the picture of BluRay movies I've posted have proven that my set looks stunning despite being calibrated by eye.

I just encourage experimentation. I've had my F8000 for over 7 months and it wasn't until recently I settled on my current settings. I'm getting miles better picture than what I was when I first got the F8000. It's never too late to adjust minor settings here and there. You'll be happy you spent the time.
adcustom likes this.
post #5606 of 7613 Old 02-27-2014, 09:53 PM

So if I understand right it's not possible to watch two cable channels at the same time with PiP? I liked to do that on our old TVs because I could turn on PiP and until the advertisements were gone I watched some other channel and still see the first one, if you understand.. And so I said that the new TV must have this again (because this TV now doesn't).

And about the recording... I think that in our country (I come from Slovenia - Europe) it is possible to record a channels. Because the guy in a store that I visited two weeks ago, said that it is possible, but he said for F7000. That day I was still more for F7000. smile.gif
post #5607 of 7613 Old 02-28-2014, 04:14 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

I believe you are correct about the picture in picture if I read the manual correctly.
sammiesamson likes this.

post #5608 of 7613 Old 02-28-2014, 04:31 AM

Hmm, then this is a pretty huge minus for me. But I guess if F8000 doesn't have this the others don't have either...

I will read about that in the manuals today.
post #5609 of 7613 Old 02-28-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:

Hmm, then this is a pretty huge minus for me. But I guess if F8000 doesn't have this the others don't have either...

I will read about that in the manuals today.

If you are using a cable box of some sort, you can get a splitter for your cable and run a cable straight to the tv and one to the cable box. You would then connect the cable box to the tv using HDMI if it is HIDEF. Then you can watch your unscrambled channels using the cable connection and scrambled channels using your cable box connection with the PIP functionality.

Don't know if that helps. Some cable boxes have a pass through function which means you would not need the splitter. Check with your content provider.
sammiesamson likes this.
post #5610 of 7613 Old 02-28-2014, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So if I understand right it's not possible to watch two cable channels at the same time with PiP? I liked to do that on our old TVs because I could turn on PiP and until the advertisements were gone I watched some other channel and still see the first one, if you understand.. And so I said that the new TV must have this again (because this TV now doesn't).

And about the recording... I think that in our country (I come from Slovenia - Europe) it is possible to record a channels. Because the guy in a store that I visited two weeks ago, said that it is possible, but he said for F7000. That day I was still more for F7000. smile.gif

PIP is old school and I would imagine wouldn't even be used in newer sets. Given the ability to fast forward/skip content kind of eliminates that. At least that's my opinion. I went from a 52" set to a 60" set and could even go larger, trying to watch two pictures on one set would literally hurt my eyes. You must be sitting very close to the set?
sammiesamson likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page