Forum Jump: 
post #6211 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 09:15 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

The European version of the F8000 appears to have slightly different settings menus. As far as "more details" are concerned you can raise Sharpness if you'd like, but again, you're adding fake detail to the image when you do that. What you're seeing with Sharpness at 0 is what your cable box or BluRay player is actually sending to the TV.

People's faces in real life at the equivalence distance/zoom look like Sharpness 0. Sure a higher Sharpness will make pours and facial hair and wrinkles more obvious but that is not how a face looks like in real life. In real life, a person's facial details are subtle and are only truly apparent if you're less than 10cm from their face. In close ups on movies and TV shows, those details will become apparent but at normal distances, faces don't look nearly that sharp in real life and neither should they on a television. Thus, Sharpness at 0 is the most realistic setting and most faithful to your source materal despite the impression of facial details being "smeared."

Color Space may be else where in your settings menu but there should be an option for it, perhaps it's named something else. Smart LED, as far as I know, should be available on the European version but it may be named differently as well. It's the local dimming of the LEDs which is the main feature of the F8000 over the other LED TV's in the Samsung lineup. Color Tone should be Warm2 if you want realistic flesh tones but if you truly prefer Standard then so be it. Cinema Black is best at the Darkest setting for the European version. It will only engage when widescreen bars are present and it should dim the bars to near pitch black which should make the picture pop more, especially when watching the TV at night in a dark room.

And no problem. Always here to help people get the most out of their F8000's picture.

WoW, looks like you really know alot about how the picture should really look like. I will have to listen to your comments, and try to get used on the settings that you wrote. Maybe we at home don't have setted the TV's correctly, we usually set them just by the eye and and some preferences... But if you're saying that the settings you wrote are close to the optimal settings of what the picture should really look like, I will try to get used to that settings. :)

Thank you many times for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

The stuttering you are experiencing is likely dealing with the AMP settings which a few people have mentioned before. Goto menu>picture>picture options> Auto Motion Plus....try "Clear" first instead of the custom recommended below.

UE has less control than UN...stupid regional settings biggrin.gif It seems like you are getting set in and enjoy standard but here is what I reccomend to people to try as a 'base' to start adjusting their panel too(I now use the boosting trick that DRN talks about...save some energy and looks amazing!):

Movie Mode
BL 10 (16 only if during day in a super bright naturally lit room...10 should be plenty otherwise)
Cont 90 (try 95, user preference)
Bright 45
Sharp 0 (NO MORE THAN 20!)
Color 50
G/R 50/50
Pic Size - screen fit

Advanced Settings
Dynamic Contrast - Off (using it can crush blacks too if not careful)
Black Tone - Off
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode- Off
Color Space - Auto works well but if unhappy these:
Color Space Auto (you might prefer native)

White Balance:
ro 23
go 23
bo 25
rg 16
gg 25
bg 27

10p White Balance Off

Gamma- 0
Expert Pattern- Off
Motion Lighting- Off

Picture Options
Color temp - Warm 2
Digital Clean View - Off
Mpeg Noise Filter - Off
HDMI Black Level - Low
Film Mode Auto 2 (if available, otherwise off)
Auto Motion Plus > Custom > Blur = 10, Judder = 0, Clear = off (NOTE: if you get stuttering, try turning it from custom onto Clear, the clear option in custom can be "on", user preference)
Smart LED - Standard
Cinema Black - On

System, Eco Solution, Eco Sensor: OFF

Thank you very much too! I will try it today and will let you know how I like it. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6212 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 09:20 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post

Man, I can't seem to get a replacement power supply board for my dead UN55F8000!!!!

Part # BN44-00649A

Samsung is out of stock, but they charge almost $300 anyway. I see them online for $80-ish, but NONE of the companies seem to actually be in business! Either their phone numbers don't work or they work but nobody answers. I got up at 6am (opening time for one of them) to get on this ASAP and its been 2 hours and I haven't gotten through to anyone.

There are a few on ebay but they're higher priced AND no guarantees.

This sucks ass.

Since it seems you're running out of options, it may be worth taking the PS to an electronics repair shop and see if they can fix it.
post #6213 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 09:22 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellest View Post

Since it seems you're running out of options, it may be worth taking the PS to an electronics repair shop and see if they can fix it.

Ahhh... but I'm *#$(ed on that front too! The component that blew is completely unidentifiable! I don't know if Samsung has a habit of using custom labelled parts or what, but no electronics supply searches come up with anything for the markings on the bad component.
post #6214 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 10:03 AM

Quote:

Ahhh... but I'm *#$(ed on that front too! The component that blew is completely unidentifiable! I don't know if Samsung has a habit of using custom labelled parts or what, but no electronics supply searches come up with anything for the markings on the bad component.

I "think" this is a pic of your PS:

https://www.shopjimmy.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/h/shopjimmy-bn44-00649a-top.jpg

If so, you may be able to pull the entire board and take it to a repair shop. It sounds like you have nothing to lose at this point...
post #6215 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 10:14 AM

Sure, but to repair what? If the part is unidentifiable, then a repair shop is going to be just as lost as I am. Unless you mean an authorized Samsung repair shop.... already tried that. 1) They told me they can't get the part because its for a US model; 2) They don't "fix" boards, they replace them. 3) "it would be cheaper to buy a new TV" ($3000 TV vs $80 part... thanks buddy).

You are correct about that being the right board.
post #6216 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:

Sure, but to repair what? If the part is unidentifiable, then a repair shop is going to be just as lost as I am. Unless you mean an authorized Samsung repair shop.... already tried that. 1) They told me they can't get the part because its for a US model; 2) They don't "fix" boards, they replace them. 3) "it would be cheaper to buy a new TV" ($3000 TV vs $80 part... thanks buddy).

A reputable repair shop will have the the equipment needed to identfy the failed component(s). I was a controls engineer and maintenance manager at a large automotive manufacturing facility. I cant tell you how many times I sent obsolete, complex electronic components out for repair and these guys would save the day, without diagrams or documentation!
It's definitely worth a few phone calls if you have anyone in the area, to see if they're up for the task!
post #6217 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
hi guys how can I remove the "flash" effect which happens when a bright object(eg mouse cursor) is introduced in a completely dark screen....i understand its when the LED turn on.Its noted when the tv is watched in complete darkness. But is there a way to minimize it? By increasing the brightness to 48(from 45...in Natural mode) appears to get rid of it but the picture looses its black level
post #6218 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 03:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hello I normally dont reply(lurker of sorts),but I am a retired certified electronic technician .TV's was my speciality.Repaired too many to count..What you need to do is find a Samsung authorized repair shop .They will have a service manual with pictures and identifable part .Hope this helps.Good luck
post #6219 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdigitalman View Post

Hello I normally dont reply(lurker of sorts),but I am a retired certified electronic technician .TV's was my speciality.Repaired too many to count..What you need to do is find a Samsung authorized repair shop .They will have a service manual with pictures and identifable part .Hope this helps.Good luck
I see ebays has the board you aare looking for.The seller has 100% feedback and 14 day return policy.http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAMSUNG-POWER-BOARD-BN44-00649A-UN55F8000BFXZA-UN55F8000BF-UN55F8000-/171269582384
bellest likes this.
post #6220 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 07:09 PM

Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammiesamson View Post

WoW, looks like you really know alot about how the picture should really look like. I will have to listen to your comments, and try to get used on the settings that you wrote. Maybe we at home don't have setted the TV's correctly, we usually set them just by the eye and and some preferences... But if you're saying that the settings you wrote are close to the optimal settings of what the picture should really look like, I will try to get used to that settings.

I would say either you have a faulty TV, or you are being too critical of the picture. A good picture doesn't take prolonged "getting used to". One of the different groups of settings given in this thread should provide a very good picture for almost anyone. Have you compared this set to another high quality TV?
sammiesamson likes this.
post #6221 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 08:19 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 64
I tried the various settings mentioned here under movie, natural, and standard. All different settings. Now, I am more confused.. smile.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #6222 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdigitalman View Post

That's who I WAS talking to... the authorized Samsung repair shop.

I'll just buy that over-priced one off ebay.
post #6223 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 11:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

I would say either you have a faulty TV, or you are being too critical of the picture. A good picture doesn't take prolonged "getting used to". One of the different groups of settings given in this thread should provide a very good picture for almost anyone. Have you compared this set to another high quality TV?

I hope it's just me... Well my uncle has an LG, I think it's some 6000 series, but the picture looked nice. I didn't see any stuttering. And it's more than a half cheaper than mine. But it's 40 or 42".
Then I visited a neighbour which has a Sony W9 and the picture was even worst than on mine. But I think he doesn't have a clue either how he should set it... Basically I can say that I didn't see much of the new high tec. TVs. Only in the store but I mainly watched just an F7000 there.

But on none of those I didn't see anything like it. frown.gif
post #6224 of 7870 Old 03-24-2014, 11:57 PM

what is the best calibration to get rid of flashlighting from the corners?

post #6225 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by romito442 View Post

You'll want to try the contrast ratio boosting trick. I recommend using these Standard Mode settings during the day and the Movie Mode settings at night. Push the backlight as high as you can before noticing any flashlighting.

Picture preset: Standard
Backlight 8
Contrast 100
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 0 (20 max)
Color: 50
Tint: G50/G50
Picture size: Screen Fit
Dynamic Contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh Tone 0
Color space Native
Gamma 0
Color tone Warm2
Digital Clean View Off
MPEG noise filter Off
HDMI Black level Low
Film Mode Auto1
Auto Motion Plus On (LED Clear: On, Anti-Blur 10, Anti-Judder 0)
Smart LED High
Cinema Black On

White Balance:
R-Offset 23
G-Offset 24
B-Offset 24
R-Gain 0
G-Gain 15
B-Gain 50

Picture preset: Movie
Backlight 5
Contrast 95
Brightness: 46
Sharpness: 0 (20 max)
Color: 50
Tint: G50/G50
Picture size: Screen Fit
Dynamic Contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh Tone 0
Color space Native
Gamma 0
Color tone Warm2
Digital Clean View Off
MPEG noise filter Off
HDMI Black level Low
Film Mode Auto1
Motion Plus On (LED Clear: On, Anti-Blur 10, Anti-Judder 0)
Smart LED High
Cinema Black On

White Balance:
R-Offset 25
G-Offset 25
B-Offset 25
R-Gain 32
G-Gain 42
B-Gain 50
post #6226 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 01:08 AM

I agree warm 2 is just a little to much my skin tones look amazing on warm 1 or standard just my pref.... I'm just glad it only took one replacement to get my TV US02 , question is the calman 5 enthusiast calibration equipment (1000 dollars) set up worth it would like to learn how and help some of my friends here in alaska cal there sets looks like fun and interesting I'm a geek anyway....
post #6227 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 01:57 AM

hey guys wanted to share some pics of 720p movie played using tweaked potplayer from laptop. Highly recommend this software for quality video

since our tvs like "the croods" dont like the darkness, I have positioned the light behind the tele to improve the perceived black levels
post #6228 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 03:36 AM

Will my F8000 connect to my Logitech Bluetooth speakers? If so, can I still control the volume from the Samsung remote?
post #6229 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 06:36 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by ftimster View Post

I agree warm 2 is just a little to much my skin tones look amazing on warm 1 or standard just my pref.... I'm just glad it only took one replacement to get my TV US02 , question is the calman 5 enthusiast calibration equipment (1000 dollars) set up worth it would like to learn how and help some of my friends here in alaska cal there sets looks like fun and interesting I'm a geek anyway....

I agree the skin tone may look a little off in Warm2, but the other colors pops lot more in Warm2 compared to Warm1 and Standard. Did u try watching in a dark room with Warm2, the skin tone is not as bad in a dark room with Warm2.
post #6230 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 07:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:

That's who I WAS talking to...
Been reading your story. We sell on e-bay as well, as long as you get a receipt from a valid company your warranty is in effect. We always e-mail invoices to our clients, even if an item is bought thru us on e-bay. See and e-bay invoice or a paypal invoice is a receipt of money transfer it is not an invoice, as the manufacturers know e-bay and pay pal "technically" sell NOTHING ! Big loop hole. We do not put Samsung's on e-bay as Samsung does not like it, otherwise we would.

Did you take your TV in the repair shop yet ? Did this private individual give you a receipt from where he bought it from ? Can you contact him to get this receipt ? Did you pay with Pay Pal or a credit card ? If you would just drive the unit over the border and get it fixed for free, Samsung Canada does not honor Samsung USA warranties, and vise versa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bslep View Post

I'm thinking about getting the UN75F8000. I currently have a Sharp LC-80LE632U. I'm wondering if anyone on this thread has made a similar move and what your thoughts are between the two. Any other advice is welcome. Thanks. Bob
Saw there was all ready some good comments on this topic, however in all fairness this is the low end Sharp compared to the High end Samsung. To compare a Samsung 8000 to the high end sharp you would find the picture quality is much closer, the Sharp still has a semi gloss screen compared to a glossy Samsung screen. The 75" has fallen in price last week but is still pricy compared to the Sharp. The semi gloss screen on the sharp helps with reflection big time, however the trade off is the picture not being as good, ever wonder why the manufacturers about 3-4 years ago switched to a glossy screen ? You guess it, throw a glossy screen on an older semi gloss screen and watch how much better the picture looks, but now you have glare. How do I know this you may ask, I used to do picture framing. They make non-glare glass and boy does it work, but the picture is muffled behind the glass ...........
post #6231 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJMAYE View Post

Will my F8000 connect to my Logitech Bluetooth speakers? If so, can I still control the volume from the Samsung remote?

I believe the only bluetooth speaker support is with Samsung soundbars via "SoundShare". The only way to find out for sure is enable soundshare and see if it discovers your speakers...
post #6232 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

If you would just drive the unit over the border and get it fixed for free

Simple as that smile.gif Its a 6 hour round-trip drive and explaining why I have a big TV in the back to two border guards... no thanks. Not unless it was absolutely necessary or saved a ton of money (like the $700 I saved on the TV in the first place vs. buying it here)

I've ordered the power board off eBay for $120. I found it for as little as $75 on one site but after two days there's been no return to my phone call, their "online chat is available" never gets answered and they haven't responded to my email.

If swapping the power board doesn't resolve it, then I'll probably try the main board. If that also doesn't fix it, then I'll discuss things with Samsung USA.

WHO, by the way, I should mention, also have been less than stellar at returning calls. On Friday I contacted them via chat and they opened a case for me and said someone would get back to me by phone or email on Monday (yesterday). As of now (Tuesday morning) I haven't heard from them either.
post #6233 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 09:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Saw there was all ready some good comments on this topic, however in all fairness this is the low end Sharp compared to the High end Samsung. To compare a Samsung 8000 to the high end sharp you would find the picture quality is much closer, the Sharp still has a semi gloss screen compared to a glossy Samsung screen. The 75" has fallen in price last week but is still pricy compared to the Sharp. The semi gloss screen on the sharp helps with reflection big time, however the trade off is the picture not being as good, ever wonder why the manufacturers about 3-4 years ago switched to a glossy screen ? You guess it, throw a glossy screen on an older semi gloss screen and watch how much better the picture looks, but now you have glare. How do I know this you may ask, I used to do picture framing. They make non-glare glass and boy does it work, but the picture is muffled behind the glass ...........
.[/quote]

Thanks for your reply. I know the F8000 has a better picture, but $5k better? Anyway, I think I'm going to wait until the Samsung U8550 comes out before I make any purchasing decisions. Bob
post #6234 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 538 Post(s)
Liked: 707
Quote:

Not unless it was absolutely necessary or saved a ton of money (like the $700 I saved on the TV in the first place vs. buying it here)
The point is, you could have a valid warranty from a reliable dealer for about the same price. We ship to the border all the time, then people pick up in the US, then load up and take back to Canada. Not to mention you could have bought a warranty from Mack for about $200 and have in home warranty in your country for a total of 3 years.

Contact us if you go the Samsung USA route...........
post #6235 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The point is, you could have a valid warranty from a reliable dealer for about the same price. We ship to the border all the time, then people pick up in the US, then load up and take back to Canada. Not to mention you could have bought a warranty from Mack for about $200 and have in home warranty in your country for a total of 3 years.

Contact us if you go the Samsung USA route...........

I'm unclear. Are you telling me you can help me?

I don't know who "Mack" is.
post #6236 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by romito442 View Post

hello
DRN94 already showed some settings with contrast boosting.
I did the same , but pushed it a bit harder. But I used a meter to calibrate , so my settings are still OK for me.
Here is a link to the posts where I reported that.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4830#post_24328419

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/4890#post_24332331
post #6237 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

I tried the various settings mentioned here under movie, natural, and standard. All different settings. Now, I am more confused.. smile.gif

You too?!? eek.gif No, I know better. But, fact is, the eyes do have a short memory, and since you can't switch all settings instantaneously, it can take awhile to decide which is truly better.
post #6238 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 05:36 PM

What is the best panel on this model? just had to exchange my 55f800 to best buy seemed like there was a hot spot in the lower left corner. was like a white line always showing even showing up on the letter box during movies unless i turned on cinema black i think the panel i had was a tso1 was built in november 2013

post #6239 of 7870 Old 03-25-2014, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just ordered a un75 anything I should be looking for in the 30 day return period? Thanks!
post #6240 of 7870 Old 03-26-2014, 03:09 AM

How to view the total number of running hours on Samsung F8000 ? I may need to know this before purchasing a used/refurbished unit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page