Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 223 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6661 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Before asking here a day ago, I had turned Contrast way down (I think to 36) soon after receiving the set on Friday. In the CRT world high Contrast is generally a bad thing, leading to burn-in and other issues. After seeing DRN94's post I tried his settings which started with Standard mode. But the Contrast just seemed way too much (to me). I had been generally pleased with the settings I had come up with on my own, except that the dark/black items in the image tended to disappear into a black hole. That is the main thing I was trying to rectify.

If your issue is with shadow detail then that is more likely an issue with the source. TV providers compress their HD feeds and their compression algorithms and protocol sacrifice shadow detail to conserve bandwidth. I can tell you that the darkest shades are distinguishable with my settings; if it appears that shadow detail is still non-existent or a "black hole" as you describe then it may be your TV provider's compression causing loss of shadow detail and not the TV.

The black level of Samsung's high end LED sets have gradually increased over the years for that very reason, to preserve shadow detail and have proper 2.2 to 2.4 gamma. So I can say confidently that the F8000 can produce very good shadow detail so I would blame the source before pointing fingers at the TV.
DRN94 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6662 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 02:36 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

If your issue is with shadow detail then that is more likely an issue with the source. TV providers compress their HD feeds and their compression algorithms and protocol sacrifice shadow detail to conserve bandwidth. I can tell you that the darkest shades are distinguishable with my settings; if it appears that shadow detail is still non-existent or a "black hole" as you describe then it may be your TV provider's compression causing loss of shadow detail and not the TV.

The black level of Samsung's high end LED sets have gradually increased over the years for that very reason, to preserve shadow detail and have proper 2.2 to 2.4 gamma. So I can say confidently that the F8000 can produce very good shadow detail so I would blame the source before pointing fingers at the TV.

Ok, and I hear you, and I'm not doubting what you say in the slightest. But my source is (mainly) CBS broadcast OTA from my local station. It is normally about 17.8 Mbps, so not terribly compressed. Given the choice, we always watch OTA rather than Cable . . .

Maybe my descriptive term is incorrect, maybe it's not "shadow detail". Just picture this.. if there's a guy wearing a black suit, you're gonna struggle to see the pockets and buttons. It may be the source, but then my Mits would have had to be much more forgiving of that source. Maybe I'm hoping for too much.. I was hoping for everything I had image-wise with the Mits, but without overscan issues or the need to adjust convergence. And with much improved off-axis viewing.

I'm hoping to get there, and that's why I'm here looking for suggestions. Thanks! smile.gif

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #6663 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Ok, and I hear you, and I'm not doubting what you say in the slightest. But my source is (mainly) CBS broadcast OTA from my local station. It is normally about 17.8 Mbps, so not terribly compressed. Given the choice, we always watch OTA rather than Cable . . .

Maybe my descriptive term is incorrect, maybe it's not "shadow detail". Just picture this.. if there's a guy wearing a black suit, you're gonna struggle to see the pockets and buttons. It may be the source, but then my Mits would have had to be much more forgiving of that source. Maybe I'm hoping for too much.. I was hoping for everything I had image-wise with the Mits, but without overscan issues or the need to adjust convergence. And with much improved off-axis viewing.

I'm hoping to get there, and that's why I'm here looking for suggestions. Thanks! smile.gif

No problem.

You appear to be receiving MPEG4 if your OTA bit rate is 17.8 Mbps. MPEG4 deals very well with shadow detail compared to MPEG2. Perhaps you're not used to the deep blacks of the F8000. Each program and commercial differs in how they handle contrast. If shadow detail is lacking on literally every program and commercial then there may be a problem.

Commercials are known to exaggerate contrast and crush shadow detail so you may just be noticing that now that you have a set the can produce very deep blacks. Some other commercials can appear greyish with high black levels as well which is even more obvious a high end, high contrast set like the F8000.

If you notice a lack a shadow detail here and there, it's most likely just how the content was mastered and what the director intended. A very black suit in a commercial for example would be attractive to the eye despite it being hard to make out the pockets and buttons.
DRN94 is offline  
post #6664 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Member
 
geekparrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post


I had some issues with sound like you mentioned with my older Samsung. I turned off SRS Tru-Surround and just kept it on Standard with no extras and it fixed it. You may just have a defective speaker(s) though.

Thanks.  Yeah it sounds broken.  I'll try the SRS Tru-Surround setting first.

geekparrot is offline  
post #6665 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

..... Oh, I also have a separate issue with the current set besides the pixel. There is a strange, yet faint line on the left and right edges when TV is in "screen fit" (full pixel) This I don't even know how to describe to BB. I'll post a pic . . .


I tried "Screen Fit" for the first time a few minutes ago. I see the faint line on left and right sides just like you do. So either it's "normal" or else my set is broken too . . . eek.gif

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #6666 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I tried "Screen Fit" for the first time a few minutes ago. I see the faint line on left and right sides just like you do. So either it's "normal" or else my set is broken too . . . eek.gif

We need to get everyone else to check for this to see if it's "normal" lol
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6667 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 04:17 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientAlien View Post

Isn't that called CE Dimming? It is annoying but I thought there was a way to disable it even in Standard or Dynamic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

Not on ANY mode but movie... I think that dimming comes from Smart LED. I think.

My set does let me disable Smart LED in Standard mode. If your doesn't maybe your firmware is different? My firmware update to the latest Friday afternoon.

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #6668 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post


My set does let me disable Smart LED in Standard mode. If your doesn't maybe your firmware is different? My firmware update to the latest Friday afternoon.

I can turn off Smart Led, but the picture will still dim, depending on the image, regardless of that. Except when its in movie mode.
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6669 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 05:23 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

No problem . . .

Just an update... Tonight I'm "just watching" and not making any further changes from the settings I ended up with last night. Although I'm sure there's still room for improvement, I'm feeling pretty good about the way things are looking right now. In fact, some scenes are looking pretty fantastic. smile.gif

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #6670 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Member
 
s_mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

We need to get everyone else to check for this to see if it's "normal" lol

OK, so I just checked. At first I was going to say, "me too" but then it disappeared. Then came back. Then gone. It became obvious pretty quick that it was with the source, not the TV. I could rewind and see the exact same pattern of on/off as it played. Some content has it, some doesn't.

But I had to go stand 1 foot from the screen to see it regardless. From a reasonable viewing distance, there's no chance at all I'd ever see it.
s_mack is offline  
post #6671 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 05:40 PM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post

OK, so I just checked. At first I was going to say, "me too" but then it disappeared. Then came back. Then gone. It became obvious pretty quick that it was with the source, not the TV. I could rewind and see the exact same pattern of on/off as it played. Some content has it, some doesn't.

But I had to go stand 1 foot from the screen to see it regardless. From a reasonable viewing distance, there's no chance at all I'd ever see it.

No... That sounds about right. I don't always see it either. Just annoying when I do see it. But when it's there for me, I see it from the couch, which is about 10 feet away.
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6672 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 05:47 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

.... You appear to be receiving MPEG4 if your OTA bit rate is 17.8 Mbps. MPEG4 deals very well with shadow detail compared to MPEG2 . . .

I dunno, but I'm almost positive that OTA is mpeg2 not mpeg4. The 17.8 number I mention was obtained from kmttg as shown in the picture attached. I interpret the number to be the broadcast Mbps, but I could be wrong.


I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #6673 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 07:27 PM
Advanced Member
 
NickTF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 554
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well i've had this t.v. up now for just shy of a week. I swear today for a few hours earlier tonight the image seemed to be riddled with lots of clouding/flashlighting for the first time since my short time viewing the tv. I am using DN94 (not exact name)'s natural settings. From a few posts here it seems as if the panel will change a bit in this regard during the initial portion of the tv's life. Can folks confirm or refute this as an old wive's tale? I have a US02 version panel and want to make sure I didn't end up with a questionable set. Thanks. BTW my tv is the 75" model.

29 Litres of Infinite Baffle Bliss. Oh, and the rest of the setup isn't too shabby either!
NickTF is offline  
post #6674 of 8255 Old 04-15-2014, 07:33 PM
Member
 
Scott Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i guess i can officially participate in the 'owners thread' now, as i just purchased a 65F8000. i returned an F8500 for the center position screen buzz (awesome picture, but the i couldn't live with the buzz). i was going to wait on the H series tv's, but while checking out the H8550 at a local retailer - incredible picture - i was offered what i thought was a pretty good deal on a 65F8000. it's apparently it is the last F8000 the chain has in their entire inventory, so i guess for at least this retailer, the door has closed on this model.

price is $2200 delivered and set up with a 3 year warranty included. the panel is the US02 revision, which i think was the least issue prone, at least from what i can gather on the panel revision thread. is this a safe panel?? does this seem like a good deal - i haven't been tracking pricing recently. the catch is that it's a floor model, which i usually would never consider, but i was told it wasn't on the floor the entire year. i checked for stuck pixels and very closely examined the screen - seems to be in perfect working order with no cosmetic issues either. i've got until friday to change my mind - any red flags here? are there other issues i should specifically look for?

i appreciate any recommendations...
Scott Rosenberg is offline  
post #6675 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 04:14 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member
 
HPQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTF View Post

Well i've had this t.v. up now for just shy of a week. I swear today for a few hours earlier tonight the image seemed to be riddled with lots of clouding/flashlighting for the first time since my short time viewing the tv. I am using DN94 (not exact name)'s natural settings. From a few posts here it seems as if the panel will change a bit in this regard during the initial portion of the tv's life. Can folks confirm or refute this as an old wive's tale? I have a US02 version panel and want to make sure I didn't end up with a questionable set. Thanks. BTW my tv is the 75" model.

congrats! I also have the 75 and the tv is great. I have reduced the backlight to 3 in the evenings and 6 in the daytime. smile.gif

Can you take some pictures?

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
HPQ is offline  
post #6676 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 04:16 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member
 
HPQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 749
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post

i guess i can officially participate in the 'owners thread' now, as i just purchased a 65F8000. i returned an F8500 for the center position screen buzz (awesome picture, but the i couldn't live with the buzz). i was going to wait on the H series tv's, but while checking out the H8550 at a local retailer - incredible picture - i was offered what i thought was a pretty good deal on a 65F8000. it's apparently it is the last F8000 the chain has in their entire inventory, so i guess for at least this retailer, the door has closed on this model.

price is $2200 delivered and set up with a 3 year warranty included. the panel is the US02 revision, which i think was the least issue prone, at least from what i can gather on the panel revision thread. is this a safe panel?? does this seem like a good deal - i haven't been tracking pricing recently. the catch is that it's a floor model, which i usually would never consider, but i was told it wasn't on the floor the entire year. i checked for stuck pixels and very closely examined the screen - seems to be in perfect working order with no cosmetic issues either. i've got until friday to change my mind - any red flags here? are there other issues i should specifically look for?

i appreciate any recommendations...

Congrats! Nothing wrong with a display model as long as you have the warranty in case of issues.

I think you got a good deal. Apply Buzz or other settings and sit back and enjoy!

Take some pics as well. smile.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
HPQ is offline  
post #6677 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jkozlow3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

I wish I knew to look for that beforehand... Still though, 3 with dead pixels. It's a first for me. My previous set was a XBR55HX950.... GREAT contrast ratio. BAD DSE.

Still not sure what to do here. Ever seen the "line" thing before? None of the others had that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

I tried "Screen Fit" for the first time a few minutes ago. I see the faint line on left and right sides just like you do. So either it's "normal" or else my set is broken too . . . eek.gif

If you guys are only seeing the line in "screen fit", then the problem is with the broadcast - not your display. A lot of TV broadcasts on certain channels contain "crap" (technical term) around the edges of the broadcast which is visible when overscan is disabled (aka "screen fit" on the Samsungs). If you disable screen fit and enable overscan (i.e. by selecting 16:9 for the picture size) the lines should go away immediately. This points to the broadcast being the issue - not your TV.
jkozlow3 is offline  
post #6678 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 07:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 4,309
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked: 1075
Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

Ok, I gotta ask, as I've seen countless posts. So many of you are using "standard" picture mode. Doesn't the "dimming" effect drive you nuts? Even if you turn off smart led, it dims. Like when it goes from a full picture to some text, the text dims. The only mode I don't notice that is movie, and that's with smart led set to standard even.

Also, can someone please explain why "film mode" is grayed out, no matter what mode you choose? Why even have it if I can NEVER access it?

I've seen post's that mention "dimming effect", but I can't say that I've noticed it. But then I've only had the set for a few days.

My F8000 will be in storage for another month so can't test with the latest FW yet. If nothing has changed, Standard mode is inadequate, at least for static images. See this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/300#post_23163014

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is offline  
post #6679 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 07:12 AM
Member
 
s_mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Well, it does say right ON SCREEN beside Standard mode that it is the EnergyStar setting. Of course its going to have energy saving elements. That's how they get the rock-bottom energuide ratings. I wouldn't say that's "inadequate"... its responsible.

I watch on Standard *because* of that dimming feature. I appreciate it. And before someone gives me the garbage argument about "it only being a few cents"... its not about the money. Saving energy should never be about the money (though it usually is, sadly).
s_mack is offline  
post #6680 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 07:29 AM
Member
 
Beefwahl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City, MO
Posts: 34
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Rosenberg View Post

i guess i can officially participate in the 'owners thread' now, as i just purchased a 65F8000. i returned an F8500 for the center position screen buzz (awesome picture, but the i couldn't live with the buzz). i was going to wait on the H series tv's, but while checking out the H8550 at a local retailer - incredible picture - i was offered what i thought was a pretty good deal on a 65F8000. it's apparently it is the last F8000 the chain has in their entire inventory, so i guess for at least this retailer, the door has closed on this model.

price is $2200 delivered and set up with a 3 year warranty included. the panel is the US02 revision, which i think was the least issue prone, at least from what i can gather on the panel revision thread. is this a safe panel?? does this seem like a good deal - i haven't been tracking pricing recently. the catch is that it's a floor model, which i usually would never consider, but i was told it wasn't on the floor the entire year. i checked for stuck pixels and very closely examined the screen - seems to be in perfect working order with no cosmetic issues either. i've got until friday to change my mind - any red flags here? are there other issues i should specifically look for?

i appreciate any recommendations...


Sounds like a nice deal, especially with the set-up and warranty. I too, returned a 60f8500 because of center buzz. I finally ended up with a 65f8000. I immediately applied Buzz's settings to the new set and I have been slowly fine-tuning for the last couple of weeks. Coming from the few days of f8500, I was, at first, kinda disappointed with the black levels of the f8000. I have, however, been able to make some nice adjustments (Cinema Black:On, Smart LED, backlight) for my viewing environment and I am now really pleased with the outcome. The best part? NO BEEHIVE BUZZ PULSING INTO MY BRAIN! And that's a real positive!
Beefwahl is offline  
post #6681 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 AM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post


If you guys are only seeing the line in "screen fit", then the problem is with the broadcast - not your display. A lot of TV broadcasts on certain channels contain "crap" (technical term) around the edges of the broadcast which is visible when overscan is disabled (aka "screen fit" on the Samsungs). If you disable screen fit and enable overscan (i.e. by selecting 16:9 for the picture size) the lines should go away immediately. This points to the broadcast being the issue - not your TV.

No. Not the "broadcast" as it shows on TV signal, Xbox, blu-ray...
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6682 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 07:41 AM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,563
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post


If you guys are only seeing the line in "screen fit", then the problem is with the broadcast - not your display. A lot of TV broadcasts on certain channels contain "crap" (technical term) around the edges of the broadcast which is visible when overscan is disabled (aka "screen fit" on the Samsungs). If you disable screen fit and enable overscan (i.e. by selecting 16:9 for the picture size) the lines should go away immediately. This points to the broadcast being the issue - not your TV.

Makes sense, because I think I recall noticing the same type of "line" on my 46" Mits at least once in the past. But I didn't see it last night on the Mits so I couldn't prove it.. but I'm not sure if the Mits was set to "screen fit" or equivalent.

I believe it's time to Overthrow VerticalScope..
and Bring Back Huddler!

It's a shame that in the end TCU's playoff chances all came down to this . . .

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #6683 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
stickboy2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
May be a bit early to say, but the PS3 HDMI issue and other "bugs" have not happened since firmware 1120.

Here's hoping!

So I am just going to go out on a limb for anyone experiencing the PS3 HDMI Handshaking issue.
Troubleshooting steps.

1. Verify cable connections.
2. power off the PS3 and any connected devices
3. Power off the TV AT THE SOURCE, meaning power off the TV at the power strip or unplug the TV if you don't use a power strip. (yikes, then go buy a power strip)
4. Wait a minute then turn the TV on.
5. Turn the PS3 on.

If it works Great!
If not:
6. Perform firmware update
7. repeat steps 1-5

8. Pray. Wait, should be step 1. Oh well.
stickboy2k is offline  
post #6684 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jkozlow3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Colorado
Posts: 1,029
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

My F8000 will be in storage for another month so can't test with the latest FW yet. If nothing has changed, Standard mode is inadequate, at least for static images. See this:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/300#post_23163014

I use Standard Mode and it doesn't do any auto-dimming with the Eco-sensor turned off. I have my backlight set to 10 for daytime which yields ~ 70 fL and 6 for nighttime which yields ~ 45 fL according to my meter. These readings are static when measured during the daytime or at night in an otherwise dark room. I verified this recently. I'm on the current firmware and have stayed current throughout each release.
jkozlow3 is offline  
post #6685 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 10:41 AM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkozlow3 View Post

I use Standard Mode and it doesn't do any auto-dimming with the Eco-sensor turned off. I have my backlight set to 10 for daytime which yields ~ 70 fL and 6 for nighttime which yields ~ 45 fL according to my meter. These readings are static when measured during the daytime or at night in an otherwise dark room. I verified this recently. I'm on the current firmware and have stayed current throughout each release.

I've tried those settings. This is not something you would notice most of the time I think. I mentioned the Evil Dead red band trailer because of how often it jumps from scene to text. On ANY mode but movie, when it jumps to text, the text dims a bit. Probable not the biggest deal, just why I keep it on "movie" smile.gif
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6686 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Member
 
JohnnymoZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 163
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 68

I tried these   http://www.avforums.com/pages/pictureperfect/  settings and so far I like the results.


my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

JohnnymoZ is offline  
post #6687 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Member
 
s_mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
That guide basically tells you not to bother buying an 8000 series.... because you're shutting off all the features you just paid for.
s_mack is offline  
post #6688 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member
 
stickboy2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 593
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post

That guide basically tells you not to bother buying an 8000 series.... because you're shutting off all the features you just paid for.

Yeah, I was nervous about all this "smart TV" nonsense. I really just want a monitor for my devices, because I know the more "features" the TV has the more chance something can and will go wrong.
stickboy2k is offline  
post #6689 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 01:12 PM
Member
 
s_mack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
My point was... following that guide (or, frankly, much of the advice on this thread) is admitting to wasted money. It is those features that we're "supposed" to turn off that validates the cost difference between this and the 7100. Ok, you get a camera too. And your remote is silver instead of black.
AncientAlien likes this.
s_mack is offline  
post #6690 of 8255 Old 04-16-2014, 01:42 PM
Member
 
bellest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LaSalle, IL
Posts: 185
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post

My point was... following that guide (or, frankly, much of the advice on this thread) is admitting to wasted money. It is those features that we're "supposed" to turn off that validates the cost difference between this and the 7100. Ok, you get a camera too. And your remote is silver instead of black.

Some of us purchased it for the higher CMR, superior dimming and the evo kit...
bellest is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off