Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 226 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #6751 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 03:17 PM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, 6th TV came today... No dead or stuck pixels! Yay! Worse banding then any of the others, but screw it, moving on with my life. My question is, why do certain objects "flicker"? Not the whole screen mind you, just certian objects. eg. A striped tie. Digital Clean View is on auto. Any other setting distorts the image clarity. Any help here would be great.
Joseph Kerr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #6752 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Member
 
bellest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LaSalle, IL
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

Hey guys, 6th TV came today... No dead or stuck pixels! Yay! Worse banding then any of the others, but screw it, moving on with my life. My question is, why do certain objects "flicker"? Not the whole screen mind you, just certian objects. eg. A striped tie. Digital Clean View is on auto. Any other setting distorts the image clarity. Any help here would be great.

Wow, I consider myself dedicated to Samsung, but going thru 6 TVs would definitely test my resolve lol!
Not sure what settings you're using, but I suggest trying Buzz's settings found on the first page of this thread, it might even help with your banding issues. Also, check your AMP setting, I'm using "clear" with good results.
bellest is offline  
post #6753 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 03:42 PM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellest View Post

Wow, I consider myself dedicated to Samsung, but going thru 6 TVs would definitely test my resolve lol!
Not sure what settings you're using, but I suggest trying Buzz's settings found on the first page of this thread, it might even help with your banding issues. Also, check your AMP setting, I'm using "clear" with good results.

lol... I know right? But for what's out there right now I still think this is the picture to get. I'm not jumping on 4k yet. I see no reason. Yet. I'll check out those settings though. Thanks. You understood what I meant by "flickering objects" then?
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6754 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Member
 
bulgolgiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 89
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
^^whats your currents set's version #?

Im on my 4th set. First 3 were a TS01. Current set is a TH02 with a Mar 31 2014 manufacturing date, but I haven't powered it on yet.
bulgolgiman is offline  
post #6755 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 03:51 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post

I figured out how to change the labels:

1. Press Source
2. Move the cursor to the source you change
3. Slide up on the remote pad to be able to select the tools menu.
4. Select Edit Name

I know this is an old post....
But I just got around to trying to rename Inputs today. But is there any way to type-in whatever name you want? This dropdown list of names doesn't include some obvious choices.. like "DVR" eek.gifconfused.gif

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
post #6756 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 04:01 PM
Member
 
bellest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LaSalle, IL
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

lol... I know right? But for what's out there right now I still think this is the picture to get. I'm not jumping on 4k yet. I see no reason. Yet. I'll check out those settings though. Thanks. You understood what I meant by "flickering objects" then?

Yep, I've seen the same thing with striped ties as you mentioned and vertical blinds, etc. I don't recall for sure what setting resolved it, but I think it was AMP.
bellest is offline  
post #6757 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 04:23 PM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellest View Post

Yep, I've seen the same thing with striped ties as you mentioned and vertical blinds, etc. I don't recall for sure what setting resolved it, but I think it was AMP.

That's in the service menu stuff right? I'm way too afraid of bricking or making things worse. I do plan on having it cal. once I break it in. But I'm happy to hear it is a solvable problem.
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6758 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 04:30 PM
Member
 
bellest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LaSalle, IL
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

That's in the service menu stuff right? I'm way too afraid of bricking or making things worse. I do plan on having it cal. once I break it in. But I'm happy to hear it is a solvable problem.
Nope, it's in the regular menu, under picture options.
bellest is offline  
post #6759 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Member
 
doyoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

My question is, why do certain objects "flicker"? Not the whole screen mind you, just certian objects. eg. A striped tie. Digital Clean View is on auto. Any other setting distorts the image clarity. Any help here would be great.
You may be describing a moire pattern that's caused by the interaction between a pattern in the source material and the pixels in the display. If that's what it is, it's a normal issue.
bellest likes this.
doyoid is offline  
post #6760 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 04:39 PM
Member
 
bellest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LaSalle, IL
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyoid View Post

You may be describing a moire pattern that's caused by the interaction between a pattern in the source material and the pixels in the display. If that's what it is, it's a normal issue.
That's what I meant to say lol!!
bellest is offline  
post #6761 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 04:42 PM
Member
 
konigsberg7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10

From where are you getting your TVs from?

konigsberg7 is online now  
post #6762 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 04:45 PM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigsberg7 View Post

From where are you getting your TVs from?

Best Buy. This one seems fine no dead pixels... They figured it was a bad batch.
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6763 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 04:48 PM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyoid View Post

You may be describing a moire pattern that's caused by the interaction between a pattern in the source material and the pixels in the display. If that's what it is, it's a normal issue.

****. :-\ was hoping it was something I could fix. Is this more common in edge lit? Cuz my full array didn't seem to suffer from this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellest View Post

That's what I meant to say lol!!

Of course you did! lol
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6764 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 04:50 PM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Oh... And there isn't any "AMP" setting in my menues... :-\
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6765 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Member
 
konigsberg7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I cant find this calibration disc someone mentioned earlier. I ordered a UN65F8000 off Amazon which directly gets it from Samsung just like Best Buy, I suppose. 

 

So is there some sort of software to calibrate it?

konigsberg7 is online now  
post #6766 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 05:23 PM
Member
 
doyoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 56
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

****. :-\ was hoping it was something I could fix. Is this more common in edge lit? Cuz my full array didn't seem to suffer from this.
The kind of backlighting shouldn't make a difference regarding the production of moire patterns. However, a sharper image may make the moire pattern more noticeable. It's possible that you're seeing more detail in the image produced by the F8000 compared to your previous TV. If you've increased the sharpness setting on the F8000, try lowering it to zero. It's also possible that moire becomes more noticeable by going to a larger display with the same number of pixels, but I'm sure that TV manufacturers have addressed this to some extent since TVs have become so large. The opposite is true also. For example, in a digital camera, increasing the number of pixels on a sensor, but keeping the same sensor size, reduces the moire effect. Most digital cameras also have anti-aliasing filters that soften the moire effect, at the cost of losing some detail in the image. it's always a trade-off.
doyoid is offline  
post #6767 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyoid View Post

The kind of backlighting shouldn't make a difference regarding the production of moire patterns. However, a sharper image may make the moire pattern more noticeable. It's possible that you're seeing more detail in the image produced by the F8000 compared to your previous TV. If you've increased the sharpness setting on the F8000, try lowering it to zero. It's also possible that moire becomes more noticeable by going to a larger display with the same number of pixels, but I'm sure that TV manufacturers have addressed this to some extent since TVs have become so large. The opposite is true also. For example, in a digital camera, increasing the number of pixels on a sensor, but keeping the same sensor size, reduces the moire effect. Most digital cameras also have anti-aliasing filters that soften the moire effect, at the cost of losing some detail in the image. it's always a trade-off.

Ok, thanks. The sharpness is only at 10 but I'll zero it. For reference sake the previous set was a XBR-HX950
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6768 of 7492 Old 04-22-2014, 05:56 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,124
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigsberg7 View Post

I cant find this calibration disc someone mentioned earlier. I ordered a UN65F8000 off Amazon which directly gets it from Samsung just like Best Buy, I suppose. 

So is there some sort of software to calibrate it?

Look here

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
WS65711 is offline  
post #6769 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 09:53 AM
Member
 
bellest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LaSalle, IL
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Kerr View Post

Oh... And there isn't any "AMP" setting in my menues... :-\
Sorry, Auto Motion Plus.
bellest is offline  
post #6770 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 10:01 AM
Member
 
Joseph Kerr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellest View Post

Sorry, Auto Motion Plus.

Yep... Now I feel stupid. lol I've played with it and CLEAR isn't to bad. No real noticeable soap opera effect. But I only use that for 3D. The rest of the time its off. Messing around I found that turning the MPEG Noise Filter to auto help a bit with "flickering objects" Sharpness is back to 10 as zeroing that made faces too soft, for me anyway.
Joseph Kerr is offline  
post #6771 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 01:43 PM
Member
 
sumik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys, I have a 60'' F8500 Plasma that is really annoying me with the buzzing, even the new replaced panel does the same thing.
Do F8000 LCD's have this issue also ?
I'm staring to consider going LCD route (never had one) because of the annoying sound.
sumik is offline  
post #6772 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 01:56 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member
 
HPQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Buzzing is part of the "feature" you get with plasma. It is not a "feature" with LED displays. smile.gif

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
HPQ is offline  
post #6773 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 02:15 PM
Member
 
Scott Rosenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumik View Post

Hey guys, I have a 60'' F8500 Plasma that is really annoying me with the buzzing, even the new replaced panel does the same thing.
Do F8000 LCD's have this issue also ?
I'm staring to consider going LCD route (never had one) because of the annoying sound.

i went through a few plasmas - two panasonic and finally the F8500... LOVED the image quality, especially on the 8500 (my room is pretty bright) but couldn't tolerate the buzzing. just last week i picked up an F8000 - fantastic set. buzzing is not an issue with LED's and the picture, while perhaps not the equal of the 8500 off axis or for fast motion, is REALLY good. i'm extremely pleased with the move the to F8000.
Scott Rosenberg is offline  
post #6774 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 03:31 PM
Member
 
jpsoutlook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

Buzzing is part of the "feature" you get with plasma. It is not a "feature" with LED displays. smile.gif

I have zero buzzing...Pan 65VT50
jpsoutlook is offline  
post #6775 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 03:34 PM
Member
 
jpsoutlook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumik View Post

Hey guys, I have a 60'' F8500 Plasma that is really annoying me with the buzzing, even the new replaced panel does the same thing.
Do F8000 LCD's have this issue also ?
I'm staring to consider going LCD route (never had one) because of the annoying sound.

Is the buzzing not from the power supply or transformer rather than the panel it self? I had an old Vizo 52" that buzzed and they replaced the main board and some other board maybe power related and the buzzing stopped.
jpsoutlook is offline  
post #6776 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 03:39 PM
Senior Member
 
FltTester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Good point. A buzz or hum is more likely from a transformer's windings and not a characteristic of plasma panels in general. My older TC-P50S1 Panasonic plasma had a faint fan noise that was noticeable with volume turned down, but no other sound.
FltTester is offline  
post #6777 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 04:22 PM
Member
 
bellest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: LaSalle, IL
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by FltTester View Post

Good point. A buzz or hum is more likely from a transformer's windings and not a characteristic of plasma panels in general. My older TC-P50S1 Panasonic plasma had a faint fan noise that was noticeable with volume turned down, but no other sound.
I'm a former electrician and controls engineer and "think" I know a bit about transformers and power supply's: just a theory, but could the buzz be more related to the 600 hz refresh rate rather than the components?
bellest is offline  
post #6778 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
FltTester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 262
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
And that 600Hz refresh rate causes what to make the buzz sound?
FltTester is offline  
post #6779 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 PM
Member
 
sumik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 108
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Well I might think about moving from F8500 to F8000 then.
Are there any issues with this LCD, like F8500 has with buzzing ?
sumik is offline  
post #6780 of 7492 Old 04-23-2014, 06:16 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member
 
HPQ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
No buzzing for the F8000 but off angle isn't best when compared to a plasma set.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
HPQ is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off