Forum Jump: 

post #6931 of 7589 Old 05-02-2014, 10:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulgolgiman View Post

Uggh I just noticed a stuck pixel that is blue. Any way to try to fix this. Also noticing led flickering/black artifacts in upper left corner when picture size is screen fit. Hopefully this can be resolved, otherwise exchanging for the 5th time!

The stuck pixel...  Try rubbing it GENTLY, maybe with your finger with a micro fiber cloth.  You can Google fixing stuck pixel.

Your other issue I have no idea.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 7589 Old 05-02-2014, 09:50 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

I'm curious though, the American F8000 can only turn Cinema Black to On or Off and Smart LED can be turned on from Off, Low, Standard, and High. I'm wondering if Cinema Black controls both Cinema Black and Smart LED under one setting for the other models.

So I did some testing of the Cinema Black function on my Canadian F8000, which has Low, Med and High settings for Cinema Black. (And no Smart LED option.)

We've been told that Cinema Black is supposed to darken the top and bottom areas of the screen, to make the black bars blacker when watching 2.35/2.4:1-ratio films. But it seems to be doing more than that -- in my test, it's affecting the brightness of the entire screen.

My test:

- Windows computer plugged into the TV (PC mode is off, Game mode is off.)

- desktop background is set to solid black

- no icons on the desktop, save for the Recycle Bin in the upper left corner

- the taskbar at the bottom of the screen

- and a small window in the middle of the screen.

With Cinema Black set to low, if I resize the window to increase the whitespace on the screen, the entire screen goes brighter. I can actually see the entire panel's black level go up. When I resize that window to reduce the whitespace, the brightness of the entire panel goes down.

Funny enough, if I set Cinema Black to medium or high, the change in brightness is much less pronounced. The screen is always brighter and never gets very dim, which is counterintuitive (you would think that more Cinema Black should mean that it darkens more).

So for Canadian F8000 models, at least, Cinema Black is not just controlling the top and bottom parts of the screen.

I uploaded a video of my test here, though it's hard to see the changes in brightness since my phone's camera is auto-adjusting the brightness, but hopefully you get the idea.

post #6933 of 7589 Old 05-03-2014, 05:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfsax View Post

So I did some testing of the Cinema Black function on my Canadian F8000, which has Low, Med and High settings for Cinema Black. (And no Smart LED option.)

We've been told that Cinema Black is supposed to darken the top and bottom areas of the screen, to make the black bars blacker when watching 2.35/2.4:1-ratio films. But it seems to be doing more than that -- in my test, it's affecting the brightness of the entire screen.

My test:

- Windows computer plugged into the TV (PC mode is off, Game mode is off.)

- desktop background is set to solid black

- no icons on the desktop, save for the Recycle Bin in the upper left corner

- the taskbar at the bottom of the screen

- and a small window in the middle of the screen.

With Cinema Black set to low, if I resize the window to increase the whitespace on the screen, the entire screen goes brighter. I can actually see the entire panel's black level go up. When I resize that window to reduce the whitespace, the brightness of the entire panel goes down.

Funny enough, if I set Cinema Black to medium or high, the change in brightness is much less pronounced. The screen is always brighter and never gets very dim, which is counterintuitive (you would think that more Cinema Black should mean that it darkens more).

So for Canadian F8000 models, at least, Cinema Black is not just controlling the top and bottom parts of the screen.

I uploaded a video of my test here, though it's hard to see the changes in brightness since my phone's camera is auto-adjusting the brightness, but hopefully you get the idea.

I also have only Cinema Black in my Brazilian TV model, although my TV was made in Mexico, but model number is different from USA , Mexico and Europe. I have just wondered also if Cinema Black controls bot Smart LED and Cinema Black - on - off - options that USA firmware model have. What I have discovered is that if I switch Cinema Black to medium or High and I am at Picture mode Standard I have like brightness fluctuation , so I have to set it to low. That situation do not happen if I am in Movie Mode, so I am wondering if Standard mode enables micro dimming in our TV sets that only have Cinema Black...(Micro dimming and smart LED for me is the same)

post #6934 of 7589 Old 05-03-2014, 12:08 PM

You could be right about that. My tests were done in movie mode. I'll have to try in standard mode and see if there's any difference.
post #6935 of 7589 Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)

Has anyone ever tried loosening screws in the back of your f8000 to reduce flashlighting in the corners?

post #6936 of 7589 Old 05-03-2014, 03:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by konigsberg7 View Post

Has anyone ever tried loosening screws in the back of your f8000 to reduce flashlighting in the corners?
I read somewhere that it helped with buzzing plasmas, I could see it possibly helping with flash-lighting.
If the screws were tightened unevenly or out of sequence, I imagine it would put stress or torque on certain areas of the panel. Much the same as the lug nuts on a wheel...
post #6937 of 7589 Old 05-03-2014, 04:17 PM

Yeah man, I'm thinking about returning my f8000 for a f8500 or trying a replacement, but Im scared. I got it from Amazon so replacements with them are easy and fast, but the only thing that seems to be wrong with it is minor flashlighting in a corner you can only see at night on content that doesnt have those movie black bars. Those black bars really make a difference and elminate it with the cinema black feature, Im guessing

post #6938 of 7589 Old 05-05-2014, 05:22 AM

Liked: 12
Does anyone know if this will work with the 60 inch version of f8000

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=108&cp_id=10828&cs_id=1082806&p_id=4562&seq=1&format=2&ref=cj
post #6939 of 7589 Old 05-05-2014, 06:17 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It should be fine. Note the disclaimer in red at the end of the description.
post #6940 of 7589 Old 05-05-2014, 02:58 PM

Is there a way to do a vertical banding test or download a test from an app on the f8000?

Also whats the best way to test it. I feel like Im getting it on GTA 5 when I look at the sky and move side to side I have 65 inch model. 

Alsow whats the comparison on vertical banding vs Plasma even a 65 inch

Honestly, I dont know if its vertical banding, when I google vertical banding it seems to be what it is. I just notice kind of different widths of vertical lines in the sky (varies from 1 1/2 inch to half an inch) on some video games, especially when I move the screen (aka when its not still)

*Yeah im definitely seeing banding, but Im afraid to replace the TV due to it having really no other issues. Is there any thing in the menu that cant diminish it. I know its prevelant in big TVs.  I reffered to this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1502067/samsung-vertical-banding-issue-for-led-tvs ... and one post says sharp make sure there is no vertical banding which is so true because I switched from a sharp to this samsung. All I do is game, but I wanted something to watch movies with and having a big Sharp was just terrible with the flashlighting, trying 5 different replacements.

God, tv's are bothersome

post #6941 of 7589 Old 05-05-2014, 05:21 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Konigsberg7, upload a picture of your potential banding issue.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #6942 of 7589 Old 05-06-2014, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

Konigsberg7, upload a picture of your potential banding issue.

Its quite subtle and my camera isnt good enough to capture it.

Im returning this TV. I'm just going to wait for the 2014 TV reviews and dish out extra cash or maybe go back to the Sharp 650U which is just great for gaming but had flashlighting problems.

post #6943 of 7589 Old 05-06-2014, 08:03 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Best of luck to you Konigsberg7

TV shopping is not easy that is for sure.

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #6944 of 7589 Old 05-06-2014, 08:18 AM

Before I leave you guys. Can I have your opinions on which manufacturers are known for vertical banding on their panels compared to others, I cant find much information on this? 

For gaming, clouding and flash-lighting isn't a big deal, but banding is. 

post #6945 of 7589 Old 05-06-2014, 09:53 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

I don't think there is a specific manufacturer who has banding issues over others. All tv's have flaws unfortunately. It is also a lottery in a way. Even if X manufacturer has good panels, you may get a bad panel.

post #6946 of 7589 Old 05-06-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 34
I found that the movie King Kong ( new version ) is an excellent test.

Right at the beginning when it has the green back ground for the credits.

I had a Sony XBR2 and it really showed the banding , on my F8000 it`s gone smile.gif

Later ,

Gary 
post #6947 of 7589 Old 05-06-2014, 11:47 AM

I issued a replacement instead of a return. This TV is really good and deserves a 2nd chance especially when I gave the 650U by sharp 5 --  for now you guys are stuck with my dumb questions!

post #6948 of 7589 Old 05-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPQ View Post

I don't think there is a specific manufacturer who has banding issues over others. All tv's have flaws unfortunately. It is also a lottery in a way. Even if X manufacturer has good panels, you may get a bad panel.

Yeah,
That is why going from a great plasma to this you have to lower your standards in some areas and truely appreciate the great benefits in lieu of the annoyances.

Perfection is a bitch.
post #6949 of 7589 Old 05-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Liked: 24
^^^Ditto
post #6950 of 7589 Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 AM

Well, as I understand vertical banding is an artifact thing, and plasmas are known for screen uniformity, right?

So wouldnt plasmas also have the same chance of possessing vertical banding as a LCD LED tv?

post #6951 of 7589 Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:

Well, as I understand vertical banding is an artifact thing, and plasmas are known for screen uniformity, right?

So wouldnt plasmas also have the same chance of possessing vertical banding as a LCD LED tv?
From my personal experience and from what I've read, plasmas typically posess better uniformity and better viewing angles. Theee of the biggest knocks against plasmas are bright room viewing, image retention and buzzing.
post #6952 of 7589 Old 05-07-2014, 12:13 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:

Don't know about any of that. I know that my issues with vertical banding were pretty severe and highly noticeable. They were directly related to the LED portion of the TV, not the LCD panel itself apparently. My replacement should be here tomorrow morning, so, I am hopeful to get a good one in the LED lottery. I have been encouraged by others in this forum thread that such a 65F8000 exists with no vertical banding, so fingers crossed. I also hope this one doesn't have as bad corner flashlighting issues.

post #6953 of 7589 Old 05-07-2014, 01:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsoutlook View Post

I have been through 6300, 7100, smh. I have had my UN75F8000 a little while now, first one got returned due to someone tampering with all the screws in the back. This one is now being swapped out by Samsung for a brand new one. Why?

3d stopped work completely. When you play 3d content screen is black, if its sbs it does not merge the images. Tested with hub content, cox cable 3d content, mkv sbs and also 3d-mvc ts files.

Top half of the screen has motion blur when streaming certain content via Youtube, VEVO, some MKV's and even in the Explore 3d app, which by the way is all black now.

Also for such and expensive TV, the screen is not uniform in black scenes there is light/clouding in the corners even with cinema black on, off it's worse. Using Buzz settings CAL Night, CAL Day (didnt under stand why he put MovieMode in those settings as you can not select that when you select CAL modes)

Anynet+ has never worked, my Pani VT50 works flawless with Onkyo 5009 Sammy does not, but the 6300 did work...weird.

Input Lag on this TV is also horrible evening in gaming mode, I tried the rename trick to PC, but you have to manually name it but from all the tutorials I saw there was a list. Wondering if I should run HDMI direct to TV to HDMI/DVI 2 input then rename to PC by passing Onkyo and using ARC or Optical back to receiver. Tried to Play Team Fortress 2, not possible

What I like:

Size 75 fits perfect, due to the thin bezel

Plex App, incredible

Update: Paul's TV delivered the replacement UN75F8000, which was a Samsung Accommodation as they call it. Great, 3d works now, no motion blur on top half of the screen I was so excited until I saw a bright red pixel starting back at me. Ugh...not to mention on dark screens the screen is not uniform. Anyway, long story short, due to Paul's TV failing to deliver a good working TV with no defects I have been offered a full refund. Clean slate is what they call it. Never have I wanted to love a TV so much, just didn't work out for me. mad.gif
Wish for: 75" 4k with under 20ms input lag time.

Thanks for letting me share my thoughts.
post #6954 of 7589 Old 05-07-2014, 01:43 PM

Liked: 11
My European F8000 has the current software version 1115 inside, now there is online version 1118 available,

Has someone the 1118 allready inside?
What are the benefits and experiences?
Has anyone tried it already?
post #6955 of 7589 Old 05-07-2014, 01:53 PM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellest View Post

From my personal experience and from what I've read, plasmas typically posess better uniformity and better viewing angles. Theee of the biggest knocks against plasmas are bright room viewing, image retention and buzzing.

I decided not to go with plasma due to those negatives!

post #6956 of 7589 Old 05-08-2014, 05:52 AM

Still, as I said earlier, vertical banding, in particular doesnt have anything to do with screen uniformity, correct?

Vertical banding is an artifact on your screen where like uniformity has to do with backlight's spreading across the screen in the appropriate way. 

I was just wondering if plasmas are more proned to the vertical banding artifacts

post #6957 of 7589 Old 05-08-2014, 06:30 AM

Quote:

Still, as I said earlier, vertical banding, in particular doesnt have anything to do with screen uniformity, correct?

Vertical banding is an artifact on your screen where like uniformity has to do with backlight's spreading across the screen in the appropriate way. 

I was just wondering if plasmas are more proned to the vertical banding artifacts
Not that I've ever experienced or heard of.
post #6958 of 7589 Old 05-08-2014, 07:31 AM

I just ordered the 60" F8000 and very excited for it to get delivered next week.

Does anyone have a preference between mounting flat or on an articulating arm? I am going to have it installed on a plaster stud-free wall, so not sure if having an arm would be a good idea.

post #6959 of 7589 Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 AM

Can anyone on here confirm that their F8000 Tv can output DD5.1 through OPTICAL? I am seeing a few people report that with the recent update (EU/AU v1118/1119) it is, but i haven't gotten a confirmation... 

I am only asking as I want the Sonos Playbar setup :D 

Thanks!

post #6960 of 7589 Old 05-08-2014, 09:23 AM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Connor Martyn View Post

Can anyone on here confirm that their F8000 Tv can output DD5.1 through OPTICAL? I am seeing a few people report that with the recent update (EU/AU v1118/1119) it is, but i haven't gotten a confirmation... 

I am only asking as I want the Sonos Playbar setup biggrin.gif 

Thanks!

I can confirm that my (US) version 65" outputs DD5.1 through optical. I have my TiVo connected via HDMI to the TV and TiVo optical to my AVR, for watching OTA and Cable. I also have the TV connected optical into the AVR for watching the "Smart" stuff via the internet. I do get 5.1 from the TV to the AVR with Amazon Prime, and also if I tune OTA with the TV directly.

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page