Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 246 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #7351 of 7515 Old 06-27-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 328
Look closely at Sharpness with a sharpness pattern - should be at or very close to 0
vega509 likes this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7352 of 7515 Old 06-27-2014, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
Look closely at Sharpness with a sharpness pattern - should be at or very close to 0
I have gone over the setting several times using several different source discs, and continue to get a setting between 15 and 17. The pattern on the AVS disc has no moire or edge enhancement visible on any of the areas.

The same pattern on any of my other sets (plasma, led, lcd) usually nets 0 to 3.

Is there something I'm not looking for when setting sharpness?

thanks
post #7353 of 7515 Old 06-27-2014, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post

Is there something I'm not looking for when setting sharpness?

thanks
No, not at all. I find that sometimes I need a magnifying glass to see the subtle changes in luminance on the edges of the black lines. Ted's Disc has an Advanced Sharpness Pattern that uses the primaries and secondaries as well as B&W. This pattern may help.

According to calibration certification training, years ago one manufacturer came up with the Sharpness control. The next year they all had it, mostly placebos. As I recall, there were three makers whose control would actually soften the picture. LG was one of them. Panasonic and Samsung are not.

Buzz

post #7354 of 7515 Old 06-27-2014, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
No, not at all. I find that sometimes I need a magnifying glass to see the subtle changes in luminance on the edges of the black lines. Ted's Disc has an Advanced Sharpness Pattern that uses the primaries and secondaries as well as B&W. This pattern may help.

According to calibration certification training, years ago one manufacturer came up with the Sharpness control. The next year they all had it, mostly placebos. As I recall, there were three makers whose control would actually soften the picture. LG was one of them. Panasonic and Samsung are not.
I'll find a magnifying glass and look again. I'll also try Ted's Disc.
thanks
post #7355 of 7515 Old 06-27-2014, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vega509 View Post
I'll find a magnifying glass and look again. I'll also try Ted's Disc.
thanks
I admit being a bit anal. If ya can't see it ya can't see it. Just don't brighten up the edges so that intended content is covered up.

Buzz

post #7356 of 7515 Old 06-27-2014, 01:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post
I've complained for months about this very issue and just gave up talking about it. There will never be a fix for auto motion plus. It's beyond repair. I get all the same issues you mentioned on my FiOS. Custom is unusable, including clear motion. Any combination of settings makes everything choppy. This is with blu-ray as well, not just FiOS. Clear is the only AMP mode that is usable. I tend to hate the soap opera effect but at times I do wish to enable it for some content, and I've given up long ago on hoping there would be improvements. In fact I have no idea what the updates even do because after a year of updates I have seen no improvements or tweaks, even in areas I have called Samsung and mentioned (like the fact that the tv forgets your 3D brightness setting every time you turn the tv off - incredibly annoying and I asked Samsung if they could fix it to remember the last setting - they said they have no plans to change it).

The F8000 had an updated processor too, compared to the previous models, but that didn't help AMP one bit. The F8000 is just as choppy with AMP as the ES7500 was.
glad it wasnt just me as i posted about this a few pages back with no response from what i remember. none of the recommended AMP custom settings worked but i only tend to notice it during sports, replays and older broadcasting playing seinfeld and such...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy1988 View Post
Does anybody know exactly where i can find the UN65F8000 model in stores...I live in NY and it seems nobody is carrying them anymore due to the updated version model H8000 which is curved.
yea, they are getting harder to find which was the case around Memorial Day when i bought mine. i almost missed out then too and had to buy from a third party on amazon who were down to 3 sets left when i bought... started at 7 just that day too

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboy1988 View Post
I think I'm pretty much settled on purchasing the UN65F8000 but the only problem is that nobody is really carrying them anymore. Amazon is selling it but thru a third party. It's either from Beach Camera or U.S. Appliance. It say's NEW and that they use Amazon's Refund & Return Policy, but I'm not sure if it's 'safe' to order thru them from Amazon. The price is $2700 for the 65 model. I have to make a decision soon before they run out I think because the F8000 series from last year is being discontinued from my understanding due to samsung recently releasing their new tv's. You can't find them anywhere locally. So my question is do you think it's ok to purchase through Amazon using either seller and that i will be receiving a 'NEW' package, and not a used or refurbished item.

As a side note, my local Best Buy is still selling the UN60F8000 model for $2000. From day one, I've had my sights set on the 65 inch version. But if can somebody can tell me any significant differences where I should lean towards the 60 inch version, I'm all ears. What do you guy's think...Thnx.
sorry for not coming sooner, but the 3rd party i bought from mentioned above was Beach Camera, 60 inch. everything came packaged correctly and had the film covering at the botom of the TV.....

either way, you got one from best buy, so enjoy!
post #7357 of 7515 Old 06-27-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I wouldnt freak out over the warranty. You can buy any major brand and never have a problem and you can buy a major brand and have nothing but problems. Thats why you want a repuatble brand from a repuatable dealer and use a credit card as they will help back up the purchase. (Also the better cards give you extended warrantys).
Samsung would not be the best seller if it had 'so many issues'. Overall, whether its a forum like this or any other blog, remember that the people with issues are going to post and post and post while the people without issues usually dont. But if you read across the entire thread I think you will see more positive postings that negatives.

As for the major brands..I work with TV Stations on a daily basis so we get feed back from stations that use them internally for quality control and their viewers that call in with issues. Samsung is by far noted for the best picture and purchased by more professionals than any. Sony used to be very good but they have cut back in R&D and the brand has fallen by the wayside. LG is the probably the next choice to Samsung however they have some issues in their tuners and processing. I can say that when issues are discovered (in my case issues with the transmitted signal either to air or cable which manafests themselves on the viewers settops) I can tell you we have the least issues with Samsung and if we do, Samsung is usually first in line to issue software patches. But dont get me wrong, LG is a good second. The only issue there is (in my opinion) is they are still on the cheap side. Upgrading the name on the outside from Goldstar to LG didn't mean they upped the quality on the inside. My only personal advice..stick with Samsung or LG...use caution with Sony..run away if you see a name starting with a V. As for the store brands..go ahead with a 27 inch for the bedroom but any large screen thats going to magnify every glitch, stick with your major brands.

Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
All these post about poor warranty coverage by Samsung has me very concerned about buying one. I've always had Panny or Pio plasmas.

Thanks for that info. I was looking for a higher number to denote a new model.
StevenPK likes this.
post #7358 of 7515 Old 06-27-2014, 02:37 PM
Thread Ender

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoTech View Post
..... Samsung would not be the best seller if it had 'so many issues'. Overall, whether its a forum like this or any other blog, remember that the people with issues are going to post and post and post while the people without issues usually dont. But if you read across the entire thread I think you will see more positive postings that negatives. . .
Anyone reading the entire thread would see that I had good things to say in April when I received the set. Things (the image) have changed, and I'm certainly not going to hide the fact that Samsung is telling me that what I see on the screen is "normal".

Don't ever make the MISTAKE of buying a Samsung TV..
They consider THIS
normal on a two month old set..
post #7359 of 7515 Old 06-27-2014, 06:23 PM

Not knowing the entire story and not to be flipant...I would only say: You got it in April. Take it back..call your credit card company. Call a local shop for warranty service and let them decide if there really is a problem. A few months is within the time frame that you should be able to get satisfaction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WS65711 View Post
Anyone reading the entire thread would see that I had good things to say in April when I received the set. Things (the image) have changed, and I'm certainly not going to hide the fact that Samsung is telling me that what I see on the screen is "normal".
post #7360 of 7515 Old 06-27-2014, 06:49 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Not knowing the entire story and not to be flipant...I would only say: You got it in April. Take it back..call your credit card company. Call a local shop for warranty service and let them decide if there really is a problem. A few months is within the time frame that you should be able to get satisfaction.
You're right.. you don't know the entire story. The TV was purchased from Amazon. No one in my area had one in stock when I bought it in April. Amazon return policy is 30 days. I contacted Samsung earlier this week for warranty service. A technician came out on Tuesday. He told me the screen irregularity was bad enough that the panel should be replaced, but he also said that Samsung has been choking lately about panel replacements. He took pictures and sent them to Samsung for approval to replace. Request denied. It's within "normal" tolerances as far as they're concerned. I have submitted another service request, sending MY picture as I posted here two days ago. I posted the picture here so the world (at least this forum) can see what Samsung considers "normal".

Attachment 135521 Attachment 135529 Attachment 135537

They consider THIS

Last edited by WS65711; 06-27-2014 at 07:00 PM.
post #7361 of 7515 Old 06-28-2014, 07:20 AM

That showed up after 30 days? Dam. Odd as most screen defects show up right away. Almost looks as if someone pushed on that spot (NO, I'm not saying you did...just saying it looks like it).
In either case..you have a tech verifing its bad. I assume when you called and got your answer you went up the ladder to manager..managers manager...managers managers manager? Hell, I'd even call customer service in Seoul.
As for the purchase...I assume it was a branded credit card? I have a drawer full and they all have some sort of buyer protection, extended warranty etc. You should be able to leverage that.
Lastly, as you a social media type? Start posting..everywhere. No company or seller likes bad press and if there is enough, someones gonna help just to shut you up. Even your local newspaper might take the store..the angle, "Consumer beware". You might have to spin it a bit but you'll get someones attention. You might also try your homeowners insurance. And call another tech shop. They might have connections to a different parts supplier.

My only jab..and I know it doesn't help and I feel bad for you...but as I said, a 'reputable' dealer. Amazon is a volume warehouse. Good for little cables, DVD's etc. On-line is not the place for anything expensive. There is always be room for local retailers (National chains included) and this is a great example. On-line cuts their price cuz they know they don't have to try and support a long term customer. My local branded store for example didn't have my set either..so I ordered it with their website and they sent it from another location. Took an extra 2 weeks but I would have waited at least a week for an on-line only retailer. But I know I have their support as well as the manufacturers.

Hope the suggestions above help.I don't mean to flood the board with a personal issue but I feel bad for you and there has got to be a way to resolve this.

Quote:
You're right.. you don't know the entire story. The TV was purchased from Amazon. No one in my area had one in stock when I bought it in April. Amazon return policy is 30 days. I contacted Samsung earlier this week for warranty service. A technician came out on Tuesday. He told me the screen irregularity was bad enough that the panel should be replaced, but he also said that Samsung has been choking lately about panel replacements. He took pictures and sent them to Samsung for approval to replace. Request denied. It's within "normal" tolerances as far as they're concerned. I have submitted another service request, sending MY picture as I posted here two days ago. I posted the picture here so the world (at least this forum) can see what Samsung considers "normal".

Attachment 135521 Attachment 135529 Attachment 135537
post #7362 of 7515 Old 06-28-2014, 07:50 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
That showed up after 30 days? Dam. Odd as most screen defects show up right away. Almost looks as if someone pushed on that spot (NO, I'm not saying you did...just saying it looks like it).
In either case..you have a tech verifing its bad. I assume when you called and got your answer you went up the ladder to manager..managers manager...managers managers manager? Hell, I'd even call customer service in Seoul.
As for the purchase...I assume it was a branded credit card? I have a drawer full and they all have some sort of buyer protection, extended warranty etc. You should be able to leverage that.
Lastly, as you a social media type? Start posting..everywhere. No company or seller likes bad press and if there is enough, someones gonna help just to shut you up. Even your local newspaper might take the store..the angle, "Consumer beware". You might have to spin it a bit but you'll get someones attention. You might also try your homeowners insurance. And call another tech shop. They might have connections to a different parts supplier.

My only jab..and I know it doesn't help and I feel bad for you...but as I said, a 'reputable' dealer. Amazon is a volume warehouse. Good for little cables, DVD's etc. On-line is not the place for anything expensive. There is always be room for local retailers (National chains included) and this is a great example. On-line cuts their price cuz they know they don't have to try and support a long term customer. My local branded store for example didn't have my set either..so I ordered it with their website and they sent it from another location. Took an extra 2 weeks but I would have waited at least a week for an on-line only retailer. But I know I have their support as well as the manufacturers.

Hope the suggestions above help.I don't mean to flood the board with a personal issue but I feel bad for you and there has got to be a way to resolve this.
The issue was probably present, ever so slightly, from the beginning. As I stated earlier, currently it is barely perceptible in brighter scenes and with certain colors/backgrounds. From the beginning, it was barely perceptible with all colors and backgrounds. It has become much worse over the past several weeks. BLUES, GREENS, GRAYS, darker colors and backgrounds are the worst of all.

There are no small children in my house, no wild parties, no physical damage to the screen. If someone pressing on it caused this, I will gladly press on the remainder of the screen to make it uniform. Are you willing to back me up with this in case it doesn't work?

As I have stated (you obviously do not read, or do not comprehend) no retailer in my area had this model in stock when I purchased it in April. Got it?

Also as I have stated, I first contacted Samsung earlier this week. I first exhausted all other options, settings, more settings, still more settings.. to see if I could get back to having the defect be much less obtrusive, as it was when I first received the set.

I am "running it up the ladder" as we speak. If you can name names as of who to contact at Samsung that would be most helpful. Extended warrantys by credit card or other (as I stated previously I bought the Square Trade warranty) can be great. But I'm no where near the "extended" timeframe yet. The TV is TWO MONTHS OLD.

The other thing the technician that saw the set said is that this issue is somewhat unusual in that it becomes much more visible with darker/bolder scenes. He said generally these problems show up more on lighter/brighter backgrounds.

They consider THIS

Last edited by WS65711; 06-28-2014 at 07:56 AM.
post #7363 of 7515 Old 06-28-2014, 08:03 AM

Links to Buzz's instructions for enabling CalDay/CalNight dont point tou to the correct post anymore....anyone have the instructions or correct post...I dont remember how to do it and am setting up an F8000 for my parents.....

FOUND IT! LOL
Post #184

Last edited by MaceFremonti; 06-28-2014 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Found what I was looking for!
post #7364 of 7515 Old 06-28-2014, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaceFremonti View Post
Links to Buzz's instructions for enabling CalDay/CalNight dont point tou to the correct post anymore....anyone have the instructions or correct post...I dont remember how to do it and am setting up an F8000 for my parents.....
Post 179
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1463286-official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread-6.html

Power off tv, using the standard remote press mute, then 1,8,2 then power on.

Last edited by bellest; 06-28-2014 at 01:59 PM.
post #7365 of 7515 Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
The issue was probably present, ever so slightly, from the beginning. As I stated earlier, currently it is barely perceptible in brighter scenes and with certain colors/backgrounds. From the beginning, it was barely perceptible with all colors and backgrounds. It has become much worse over the past several weeks. BLUES, GREENS, GRAYS, darker colors and backgrounds are the worst of all.
Not the best solution but is it possible that if you wait another month or two that the problem will worsen to the point where Samsung would consider it to be outside "normal screen variations"?
post #7366 of 7515 Old 06-29-2014, 08:47 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeDoctor View Post
Not the best solution but is it possible that if you wait another month or two that the problem will worsen to the point where Samsung would consider it to be outside "normal screen variations"?
Yes. The technician that Samsung sent to look at the set said as much when he called to tell me that they rejected the panel replacement. He said it may continue to get worse, or it could possibly diminish. Diminish would be the best scenario for me.. then no one needs to take the set apart. But it is unacceptable to me as it is now, and people that have seen it (including the technician) agree. The best I think I can do now is keep hounding Samsung, and also give them THIS type of publicity.

They consider THIS
post #7367 of 7515 Old 06-29-2014, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Does the SEK-2000 worthy of an upgrade for F8000? Have a F8000 coming this Wednesday and wondering whether I should go for an evo-kit upgrade or just wait out for 2015 evo-kit.
dvdmd1 likes this.
post #7368 of 7515 Old 06-29-2014, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivor View Post
Does the SEK-2000 worthy of an upgrade for F8000? Have a F8000 coming this Wednesday and wondering whether I should go for an evo-kit upgrade or just wait out for 2015 evo-kit.
I would wait,I tried 2 SEK-2000 kits and it just screwed up my picture,no 3D,AMP and white balance adjustments.I hav a 60F8000
post #7369 of 7515 Old 06-30-2014, 08:41 AM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Yes. The technician that Samsung sent to look at the set said as much when he called to tell me that they rejected the panel replacement. He said it may continue to get worse, or it could possibly diminish. Diminish would be the best scenario for me.. then no one needs to take the set apart. But it is unacceptable to me as it is now, and people that have seen it (including the technician) agree. The best I think I can do now is keep hounding Samsung, and also give them THIS type of publicity.
Well.. I just heard back from Samsung by telephone. This is definitely NORMAL with their top-level highest-quality sets. They don't appear to be budging from their opinion.

They consider THIS
post #7370 of 7515 Old 06-30-2014, 08:52 AM
HPQ
Advanced Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 60
That is too bad they consider that normal. If you were to get the panel replaced, how much would it cost? Wonder if the cost would justify fixing it?

Worse case, maybe donate the unit to charity and have a tax writeoff? (just thinking outloud)..

Samsung UN75F8000 LED TV, NAD T-777 (7.2 Receiver), Oppo 103, Sony PS4, Panamax MR-5100, 7 Paradigm Reference series 8" in ceiling speakers (AMS-150R) - 30 degree tilting speakers, 2 Paradigm SE Sub, universal remote MX-450, universal advanced RF base station MRF-3501. Pics here.
post #7371 of 7515 Old 06-30-2014, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well.. I just heard back from Samsung by telephone. This is definitely NORMAL with their top-level highest-quality sets. They don't appear to be budging from their opinion.

something you may want to try, small claims court. I had a major issue with Pioneer three years ago where my sets blacks were reddish, Pioneer would not budge on their opinion that this was normal. I got 2 independent repair shops opinions, took lots of pictures, and video of the set. Went to small claims court, and in 15 minutes the judge ruled that Pioneer give me a full refund the set.

The funny part was the Pioneer lawyer trying to tell the judge that blacks turning red was normal. Your dark spot would seem to be the same scenario, its not normal, and to quote the judge, "was it like that when it was purchased, do all Pioneer TV's look look that in the showroom?"

best of luck on what I know is a most frustrating experience.
post #7372 of 7515 Old 06-30-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I'm not sure what other pics you provided Samsung, but there apprears to be some irregularity in the top corners of this pic, probably just due to the camera. Maybe take a few pics isolating and emphesizing the issue.
post #7373 of 7515 Old 06-30-2014, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 169
Quote:
The TV is TWO MONTHS OLD.
Assuming you purchased the TV with a credit card contact them. Typically they offer various protection programs that will cover the expensive based on any number of issues. My VoIP got drowned by the washer, the CPU fell on my motherboard, etc. They refunded my purchase amount after filing a couple of forms within a few weeks.

Also, the dealer might step up and be able to help... give them a try.
post #7374 of 7515 Old 07-01-2014, 09:28 AM

Liked: 0
Smile Newbie Question

Not sure if this is the right forum, my apologies if it is not and please chastise/re-direct me if it isn't. I just purchased a floor model UN55F8000 and they did not have the stand. Does anyone have theirs mounted on the wall and want to make arrangements to part with the stand? If not any, recomendations on where I can find one?
post #7375 of 7515 Old 07-01-2014, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
^ @TPR Maxi - here in Canada a floor model sells with the same Manufacturers warranty as a new item (or they do in Best Buy and FutureShop) making the manufacturer responsible for replacing missing parts. I bought my floor model UN65F8000 knowing it had a faulty panel (the store was closing and it was 50% off). 2 days later I called Samsung and 12 days later I had a replacement panel.
post #7376 of 7515 Old 07-01-2014, 12:54 PM
Thread Ender

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenPK View Post
^ @TPR Maxi - here in Canada a floor model sells with the same Manufacturers warranty as a new item (or they do in Best Buy and FutureShop) making the manufacturer responsible for replacing missing parts. I bought my floor model UN65F8000 knowing it had a faulty panel (the store was closing and it was 50% off). 2 days later I called Samsung and 12 days later I had a replacement panel.
Would you mind calling them back for me? They seem to have washed their hands of my two month old set . . .

Attachment 135529

They consider THIS
post #7377 of 7515 Old 07-01-2014, 01:50 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
^ Would if I thought it'd make a difference. I've been following your story with interest and thinking I'm lucky even though my replacement panel has more flash lighting than I'd like. I had been thinking about trying to get a 2nd replacement, but, given the price I paid (half of the then sale price) I think I'll settle.

I can't help wondering if the only reason I got away with it was because I could have easily returned the TV which would then have been returned to Samsung. I also suspect they may be running low on F8000 replacement panels and presumably will not be making another run of them. I feel sorry for you m8 and feel kind of lucky.
post #7378 of 7515 Old 07-01-2014, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Probably a silly question but just purchased F8000 tv and having trouble just getting it on. Mainly confusion with the power cord. I have it running to a surge protector, but the tv side plug i'm confused which way it plugs into the back of the tv. I've tried putting it in both ways, but each way doesn't feel secure into the tv. In a result, the tv is not powering on. I feel retarted lol.
post #7379 of 7515 Old 07-01-2014, 03:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 71
johnnyboy1988, I believe the cable goes in either way. I felt mine and it is very tight and secure. Perhaps you haven't plugged it in all the way? There is a decent amount of travel it has to go through in order to be fully plugged in.
post #7380 of 7515 Old 07-01-2014, 05:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TprMaximus View Post
Not sure if this is the right forum, my apologies if it is not and please chastise/re-direct me if it isn't. I just purchased a floor model UN55F8000 and they did not have the stand. Does anyone have theirs mounted on the wall and want to make arrangements to part with the stand? If not any, recomendations on where I can find one?
I have one. PM me if interested.

Buzz

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page