Forum Jump: 

post #7411 of 7653 Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing4funn View Post
1st post 1st page had a few links and one I'm interested in is the enable cal-day and cal-night settings. The link takes me to a whole page of posts. I've searched that whole page three times over. If I'm missing it could some tell me the posting number?
The links got messed up when they made the recent site mods.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1463286-official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread-7.html#post23142413
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7653 Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I recently had my new 75" f8000 calibrated in Cal-day + Cal-night modes.

Because i do not like to manually switch from day to night mode, I was wondering whether there are any reasons why I should not enable Eco sensor to automatically dim, let's say, a Cal-day or a bright Cal-night?

Also if I may ask... can the Cal settings be locked to avoid accidents (like in isf...)?

Thank you
post #7413 of 7653 Old 07-10-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Locking the Cal Day / Night settings is easy enough but requires accessing the service menu with a traditional remote (ie with number buttons).

To be honest the calibrator should have done this for you and if they were from a big box store then there service may well carry a 1 year warranty which would cover a return visit.

As for activating Eco mode I'd say it's up to you but it will mess up the black levels of your calibration. If you're okay with that then do it.
post #7414 of 7653 Old 07-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenPK View Post
Locking the Cal Day / Night settings is easy enough but requires accessing the service menu with a traditional remote (ie with number buttons).

To be honest the calibrator should have done this for you and if they were from a big box store then there service may well carry a 1 year warranty which would cover a return visit.

As for activating Eco mode I'd say it's up to you but it will mess up the black levels of your calibration. If you're okay with that then do it.
Thanks for your reply.

I which way the Eco mode messes up the black level? Coming from a Kuro, I sure care about the black level.

I noticed that in night mode, with Eco off, on dark images the screen gets darker to a point that it doesn't make sense. I can see the screen getting gradually darker or lighter before my eyes... I copied the settings to the movie mode, and I think it's the same quality picture (at first glance), where there is no artificial darkening.

Anyway, I'm amazed that the calibrator didn't know about the lock, he said it's not possible.... he is actually a reputable guy around here.
post #7415 of 7653 Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 PM

Eco mode will 'intelligently' dim the panel according to the brightness of your room, but a calibrated picture mode has already done that. Furthermore if Cal Night uses a different Gamma setting as Cal Day, then it likely has different White Balance settings too. So while Eco may simulate the effect of Cal Night while watching Cal Day, I doubt it would match an accurate Cal Night calibration.

As for the dimming you are seeing, my Canadian F8000 doesn't have micro dimming. If yours is a US model it probably does. If so, is it switched on? That's all I can think of. Sorry.

I'm wary of broadcasting the service menu fix but if you'd like it then feel free to PM me.
post #7416 of 7653 Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Eco mode will 'intelligently' dim the panel according to the brightness of your room, but a calibrated picture mode has already done that. Furthermore if Cal Night uses a different Gamma setting as Cal Day, then it likely has different White Balance settings too. So while Eco may simulate the effect of Cal Night while watching Cal Day, I doubt it would match an accurate Cal Night calibration.

As for the dimming you are seeing, my Canadian F8000 doesn't have micro dimming. If yours is a US model it probably does. If so, is it switched on? That's all I can think of. Sorry.

I'm wary of broadcasting the service menu fix but if you'd like it then feel free to PM me.
Thanks so much for your kind reply.

I'm somewhat nervous to fiddle with service menu. I'll ask again to the calibrator. Thanks again.
post #7417 of 7653 Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I was wondering if your Canadian Model has Cal DAY and Cal Night grey out or blocked in the service menu. Mine is from South America and I could not enabled CAl Day and Cal Night.... Do you know if I could unblock that option ????

Thank you
post #7418 of 7653 Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeat2000 View Post
You can count me in as having the power cycle issue while watching TV through a FIOS box. I have the 65F8000 model. It's random, but I have noticed most of the time it can happen after 45mins-1 hour of the TV being on; the TV will go black for 2 secs, then the HDMI1 banner shows up and the program picture comes back. I swapped the HDMI cable and updated to the latest firmware. It still happens.

I have done a search through this thread and there doesn't appear to be a solution in place. Anyone know of any information on a fix?
Since it has been a month I thought I would update everyone on the screen going black for a couple of secs then turning back on problem. Unplugging the power cord and waiting for 1 min. then plugging the power back in has helped but only for a couple of days. Now the problem happens at least once an hour while watching TV. I know it's not the FIOS box as it happened when I was watching a DVD.
post #7419 of 7653 Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smeat2000 View Post
Since it has been a month I thought I would update everyone on the screen going black for a couple of secs then turning back on problem. Unplugging the power cord and waiting for 1 min. then plugging the power back in has helped but only for a couple of days. Now the problem happens at least once an hour while watching TV. I know it's not the FIOS box as it happened when I was watching a DVD.
How long have you had your set? It sounds like a pretty straight-forward warranty issue...

Last edited by bellest; 07-11-2014 at 02:45 PM.
post #7420 of 7653 Old 07-11-2014, 03:13 PM

mruschetti - my models Cal Day and Night definitely isn't blocked or greyed out inside the service menu nor has any other Canadian Samsung I have so far encountered. But it maybe that I am misunderstanding your question. If you're asking whether Cal Day / Night individual picture settings are themselves greyed out in the TVs picture menu (eg brightness contrast etc) after a calibration, then yes, they would be if the settings were 'locked' or set to "Fix" inside the service menu. If this second answer refers to what you describe then this can be unlocked inside the service menu. If my first response more accurately refers to your problem then I wouldn't want to risk a guess for fear that it may lead to further service menu problems.
post #7421 of 7653 Old 07-13-2014, 06:58 AM

Liked: 11
New purchase and SOE ruining it

I just bought a UN60F8000 from BB. Got a good deal on it too. But I'm having issues with the video processing and am leaning towards returning it. I see SOE on most of the FIOS movie channels regardless if Auto Motion is on or not. Most of the HBO HD channels have it. Wolverine had it big time. Some shows were bad too. Falling Skies just looked totally fake and phony. Under the Dome was watchable, though. It was also bad on a few blu rays I tested including Star Wars. Just looked awful.

My old Vizio LCD did not have this problem unless i turned the motion processing on. I also have glitchy/jerky video on a number of other channels, and some of the SD stuff just looks terrible as well. About the only channel that looks great so far is ESPN HD. I'm pretty bummed about this. Do I just have a bad video board or something? I shouldn't be seeing any SOE if Auto Motion is completely off, right?
post #7422 of 7653 Old 07-13-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryT0025 View Post
I just bought a UN60F8000 from BB. Got a good deal on it too. But I'm having issues with the video processing and am leaning towards returning it. I see SOE on most of the FIOS movie channels regardless if Auto Motion is on or not. Most of the HBO HD channels have it. Wolverine had it big time. Some shows were bad too. Falling Skies just looked totally fake and phony. Under the Dome was watchable, though. It was also bad on a few blu rays I tested including Star Wars. Just looked awful.

My old Vizio LCD did not have this problem unless i turned the motion processing on. I also have glitchy/jerky video on a number of other channels, and some of the SD stuff just looks terrible as well. About the only channel that looks great so far is ESPN HD. I'm pretty bummed about this. Do I just have a bad video board or something? I shouldn't be seeing any SOE if Auto Motion is completely off, right?
Have you tried the "clear" setting? That works perfect for me!
post #7423 of 7653 Old 07-13-2014, 09:29 AM

I've tried clear, smooth, custom, off. Turning off film mode. Doesn't seem to matter. The only channels overall that look good are ESPN. I could live with some glitchy cable channels, but I didn't expect the blu rays to look so bad.
post #7424 of 7653 Old 07-13-2014, 10:02 AM

Odd. I just turned on the set, and the SOE is gone. Popped in Star Wars and it looks fine. Guess I'll give it a week to see if it happens again. Maybe the judder setting was stuck to on, and it's now reset or something.
aukevin likes this.
post #7425 of 7653 Old 07-13-2014, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 497
I recently said I'd re-calibrate my F8000 to see if it had drifted much since the original calibration settings I posted but it would be a waste of time. I had the TV in storage since early January and it saw temps as low as -23F due to a horrible winter in Wisconsin. Anyway, I put a meter on it this morning, color was still excellent, Grayscale and Gamma were pretty good but that was with a setup including Smart LED OFF just as I had it when I posted the settings. I wanted to use the F8000 with Smart LED LOW and the resulting Gamma was the Before in the following graph.

Click image for larger version

Name:	F8000 Gamma.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	159137

To add, the F8000 is now wall mounted in my brightly illuminated office/cigar room with large fluorescents in the ceiling. The TV will never be used for reference (dark room) viewing and the only content source is a cable box. I boosted light output to 62 foot Lamberts and wanted a Gamma of 2.1. In order to do that I had to make some rather large adjustments in the 10 point Grayscale controls and I'm sure they would never work in anyone else's Samsung.

For what it's worth, I'm switching back and forth between Sprint Cup and World Cup this afternoon and the picture in the bright environment is superb.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7426 of 7653 Old 07-13-2014, 11:38 AM

I have a question for Comcast subscribers; do you experience major PQ fluctuations from the various HD channels and/or programs?
For example, watching 1 movie on HBOHD the PQ will be pristine, but the next movie on the same channel will be totally washed out and terrible... Could this be the result from upconverting 720i to 1080i?
I would love to hear some feedback from others with the same issue, this is my only complaint with the set and I would love to resolve it!
post #7427 of 7653 Old 07-13-2014, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellest View Post
I have a question for Comcast subscribers; do you experience major PQ fluctuations from the various HD channels and/or programs?
For example, watching 1 movie on HBOHD the PQ will be pristine, but the next movie on the same channel will be totally washed out and terrible... Could this be the result from upconverting 720i to 1080i?
I would love to hear some feedback from others with the same issue, this is my only complaint with the set and I would love to resolve it!
It's not the TV set, it's the content.

Is your cable box converting 720 to 1080? If so this could be part of the problem. Can you set it to pass content sans conversion?

Remember that with cable, signal compression usually causes some artifacts. At the signal source, every camera is different. They don't pay enough attention to standards.

Buzz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7428 of 7653 Old 07-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
It's not the TV set, it's the content.

Is your cable box converting 720 to 1080? If so this could be part of the problem. Can you set it to pass content sans conversion?

Remember that with cable, signal compression usually causes some artifacts. At the signal source, every camera is different. They don't pay enough attention to standards.
Thanks Buzz, I was pretty confident it was a source issue vs the TV, but never thought to check my cable box settings! I will definitely look into it...
post #7429 of 7653 Old 07-14-2014, 03:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
No, not at all. I find that sometimes I need a magnifying glass to see the subtle changes in luminance on the edges of the black lines. Ted's Disc has an Advanced Sharpness Pattern that uses the primaries and secondaries as well as B&W. This pattern may help.

* Scaled Picturea from Actual 1920x1080 pixel sized Patterns.

Hi, you may find interesting to test your display with this Advanced Sharpness Pattern that is available inside the Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Blu-Ray Disk among with other 150 Color Reproduction Patterns.

This Sharpness Pattern is not limited to typical Black/Gray/White Background that all current calibration disks are using but at 4-Step (25%, 50%, 75%,100%) of 7-Color Amplitude (Gray, Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta, Yellow) Background...

Better View - Part of the Advanced Sharpness Pattern

This Advanced Sharpness pattern is a real challenge for any display, it's will uncloak problems of you current sharpness control setting or from other enabled enhancements that were not visible before.

You can use it to verify your current sharpness setting value that you have set using a pattern generator or other calibration disk pattern since all other sharpness patterns available are based at grayscale lines/backgrounds only.

These multicolored backgrounds and shapes/lines combination maybe some times will make you add 1 or reduce by -1 or more of you sharpness slider setting that you have already set based on other classic grayscale based sharpness patterns.

S/W: LightSpace CMS, SpaceMan ICC, SpaceMatch DCM, CalMAN 5, CalMAN RGB, ChromaPure, CalPC, ControlCAL
Meters: JETI Specbos 1211, Klein K-10A, i1PRO2, i1PRO, SpectraCAL C6, i1D3, C5
post #7430 of 7653 Old 07-14-2014, 05:08 AM
CO1
Advanced Member

Anyone have links to the settings in the 1st post? For some reason the posted links are not working for me. Thanks!
post #7431 of 7653 Old 07-14-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO1 View Post
Anyone have links to the settings in the 1st post? For some reason the posted links are not working for me. Thanks!
Try page 6 od this thread if you're looking for Buzz's settings.
post #7432 of 7653 Old 07-14-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just got my 75" and while it is a nice tv, I seem to have really bad light bleed. Is this a common problem? It is noticable in dark scenes for sure. And really bad on a dark screensaver like pictured below.

I am thinking about returning the TV.

While this picture makes it look worse than it really is can anyone comment on whether this is considered normal by Samsung?

post #7433 of 7653 Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpectederror View Post
Just got my 75" and while it is a nice tv, I seem to have really bad light bleed. Is this a common problem? It is noticable in dark scenes for sure. And really bad on a dark screensaver like pictured below.

I am thinking about returning the TV.

While this picture makes it look worse than it really is can anyone comment on whether this is considered normal by Samsung?
Knowing Samsung, they would consider that normal. I've seen much worse than that. It doesn't look like you have Smart LED turned on. Turn it on to Standard or High and take another picture of the BluRay disc logo. You should see a huge improvement in person and in the picture you take.
post #7434 of 7653 Old 07-15-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post
Knowing Samsung, they would consider that normal. I've seen much worse than that. It doesn't look like you have Smart LED turned on. Turn it on to Standard or High and take another picture of the BluRay disc logo. You should see a huge improvement in person and in the picture you take.

Doesn't look any better with Smart LED on max. So should I return the TV and take a chance on another unit? Really not looking forward to that after getting it all mounted.

post #7435 of 7653 Old 07-15-2014, 02:06 PM
CO1
Advanced Member

Are there any posted settings that don't require going into the service menu? My brother bought this TV and does not have the standard remote. I'm having a horrible time searching this thread and as I stated earlier links to posts are not working for me. I know other people's settings don't usually transfer over well but I want to give him somewhere to start until I visit him in a couple of weeks. I've got my hand out and need a little hand holding please. Thanks!
post #7436 of 7653 Old 07-15-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by unxpectederror View Post
Doesn't look any better with Smart LED on max. So should I return the TV and take a chance on another unit? Really not looking forward to that after getting it all mounted.

Please post you settings, Backlight, contrast and brightness. also if you are in Movie , Dynamic or Standard mode.
post #7437 of 7653 Old 07-15-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mruschetti View Post
Please post you settings, Backlight, contrast and brightness. also if you are in Movie , Dynamic or Standard mode.
I am using buzz's daytime settings from this thread. Backlight 12, Movie mode.
post #7438 of 7653 Old 07-15-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Are there any posted settings that don't require going into the service menu? My brother bought this TV and does not have the standard remote. I'm having a horrible time searching this thread and as I stated earlier links to posts are not working for me. I know other people's settings don't usually transfer over well but I want to give him somewhere to start until I visit him in a couple of weeks. I've got my hand out and need a little hand holding please. Thanks!
Depending on how much light output you want, try these for reference or the following post for a brighter picture. Put them in the movie mode if you don't want to enable CAL-DAY and NIGHT.

If you want the CAL modes it's easy but requires the older remote control. Borrow one from a neighbor. Here>>>>> Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread

Buzz

Last edited by buzzard767; 07-15-2014 at 03:45 PM.
post #7439 of 7653 Old 07-15-2014, 06:54 PM
CO1
Advanced Member

Thanks Buzz.
What is the model # for the button remote and will the US remote work with the Canadian version? Thanks!
post #7440 of 7653 Old 07-16-2014, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Thanks Buzz.
What is the model # for the button remote and will the US remote work with the Canadian version? Thanks!
You may qualify for a free, standard remote from samsung. Go to their website and navigate to the TV's model number, there will be a link there where you enter some info.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page