Forum Jump: 

post #7411 of 7421 Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by racing4funn View Post
1st post 1st page had a few links and one I'm interested in is the enable cal-day and cal-night settings. The link takes me to a whole page of posts. I've searched that whole page three times over. If I'm missing it could some tell me the posting number?
The links got messed up when they made the recent site mods.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1463286-official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread-7.html#post23142413
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7412 of 7421 Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I recently had my new 75" f8000 calibrated in Cal-day + Cal-night modes.

Because i do not like to manually switch from day to night mode, I was wondering whether there are any reasons why I should not enable Eco sensor to automatically dim, let's say, a Cal-day or a bright Cal-night?

Also if I may ask... can the Cal settings be locked to avoid accidents (like in isf...)?

Thank you
post #7413 of 7421 Old 07-10-2014, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Locking the Cal Day / Night settings is easy enough but requires accessing the service menu with a traditional remote (ie with number buttons).

To be honest the calibrator should have done this for you and if they were from a big box store then there service may well carry a 1 year warranty which would cover a return visit.

As for activating Eco mode I'd say it's up to you but it will mess up the black levels of your calibration. If you're okay with that then do it.
post #7414 of 7421 Old 07-10-2014, 06:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenPK View Post
Locking the Cal Day / Night settings is easy enough but requires accessing the service menu with a traditional remote (ie with number buttons).

To be honest the calibrator should have done this for you and if they were from a big box store then there service may well carry a 1 year warranty which would cover a return visit.

As for activating Eco mode I'd say it's up to you but it will mess up the black levels of your calibration. If you're okay with that then do it.
Thanks for your reply.

I which way the Eco mode messes up the black level? Coming from a Kuro, I sure care about the black level.

I noticed that in night mode, with Eco off, on dark images the screen gets darker to a point that it doesn't make sense. I can see the screen getting gradually darker or lighter before my eyes... I copied the settings to the movie mode, and I think it's the same quality picture (at first glance), where there is no artificial darkening.

Anyway, I'm amazed that the calibrator didn't know about the lock, he said it's not possible.... he is actually a reputable guy around here.
post #7415 of 7421 Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 PM

Eco mode will 'intelligently' dim the panel according to the brightness of your room, but a calibrated picture mode has already done that. Furthermore if Cal Night uses a different Gamma setting as Cal Day, then it likely has different White Balance settings too. So while Eco may simulate the effect of Cal Night while watching Cal Day, I doubt it would match an accurate Cal Night calibration.

As for the dimming you are seeing, my Canadian F8000 doesn't have micro dimming. If yours is a US model it probably does. If so, is it switched on? That's all I can think of. Sorry.

I'm wary of broadcasting the service menu fix but if you'd like it then feel free to PM me.
post #7416 of 7421 Old 07-10-2014, 07:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Eco mode will 'intelligently' dim the panel according to the brightness of your room, but a calibrated picture mode has already done that. Furthermore if Cal Night uses a different Gamma setting as Cal Day, then it likely has different White Balance settings too. So while Eco may simulate the effect of Cal Night while watching Cal Day, I doubt it would match an accurate Cal Night calibration.

As for the dimming you are seeing, my Canadian F8000 doesn't have micro dimming. If yours is a US model it probably does. If so, is it switched on? That's all I can think of. Sorry.

I'm wary of broadcasting the service menu fix but if you'd like it then feel free to PM me.
Thanks so much for your kind reply.

I'm somewhat nervous to fiddle with service menu. I'll ask again to the calibrator. Thanks again.
post #7417 of 7421 Old 07-11-2014, 04:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

I was wondering if your Canadian Model has Cal DAY and Cal Night grey out or blocked in the service menu. Mine is from South America and I could not enabled CAl Day and Cal Night.... Do you know if I could unblock that option ????

Thank you
post #7418 of 7421 Old 07-11-2014, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeat2000 View Post
You can count me in as having the power cycle issue while watching TV through a FIOS box. I have the 65F8000 model. It's random, but I have noticed most of the time it can happen after 45mins-1 hour of the TV being on; the TV will go black for 2 secs, then the HDMI1 banner shows up and the program picture comes back. I swapped the HDMI cable and updated to the latest firmware. It still happens.

I have done a search through this thread and there doesn't appear to be a solution in place. Anyone know of any information on a fix?
Since it has been a month I thought I would update everyone on the screen going black for a couple of secs then turning back on problem. Unplugging the power cord and waiting for 1 min. then plugging the power back in has helped but only for a couple of days. Now the problem happens at least once an hour while watching TV. I know it's not the FIOS box as it happened when I was watching a DVD.
post #7419 of 7421 Old 07-11-2014, 02:07 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by smeat2000 View Post
Since it has been a month I thought I would update everyone on the screen going black for a couple of secs then turning back on problem. Unplugging the power cord and waiting for 1 min. then plugging the power back in has helped but only for a couple of days. Now the problem happens at least once an hour while watching TV. I know it's not the FIOS box as it happened when I was watching a DVD.
How long have you had your set? It sounds like a pretty straight-forward warranty issue...

Last edited by bellest; 07-11-2014 at 02:45 PM.
post #7420 of 7421 Old 07-11-2014, 03:13 PM

mruschetti - my models Cal Day and Night definitely isn't blocked or greyed out inside the service menu nor has any other Canadian Samsung I have so far encountered. But it maybe that I am misunderstanding your question. If you're asking whether Cal Day / Night individual picture settings are themselves greyed out in the TVs picture menu (eg brightness contrast etc) after a calibration, then yes, they would be if the settings were 'locked' or set to "Fix" inside the service menu. If this second answer refers to what you describe then this can be unlocked inside the service menu. If my first response more accurately refers to your problem then I wouldn't want to risk a guess for fear that it may lead to further service menu problems.
post #7421 of 7421 Old Today, 06:58 AM

New purchase and SOE ruining it

I just bought a UN60F8000 from BB. Got a good deal on it too. But I'm having issues with the video processing and am leaning towards returning it. I see SOE on most of the FIOS movie channels regardless if Auto Motion is on or not. Most of the HBO HD channels have it. Wolverine had it big time. Some shows were bad too. Falling Skies just looked totally fake and phony. Under the Dome was watchable, though. It was also bad on a few blu rays I tested including Star Wars. Just looked awful.

My old Vizio LCD did not have this problem unless i turned the motion processing on. I also have glitchy/jerky video on a number of other channels, and some of the SD stuff just looks terrible as well. About the only channel that looks great so far is ESPN HD. I'm pretty bummed about this. Do I just have a bad video board or something? I shouldn't be seeing any SOE if Auto Motion is completely off, right?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread