Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 280 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!



Forum Jump: 
 114Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #8371 of 8510 Old 12-27-2015, 07:07 PM
Newbie
 
jdmst71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Long time lurker here. Thanks for all the knowledgeable people that contribute.

I'm having a picture problem with my 65f8000 and don't see anything quite like it in my search.

There is 3 inch wide vertical band just left of screen center that is having an intermittent picture issue. In this 3 inch wide vertical strip there will be horizontal stripes that appear and dissappear quickly in different vertical locations in this one segment of the screen. It happens mostly during bright scenes and fast video. I know it's not an hdmi cable since I reproduce this in the smart hub apps like YouTube and netflix.

This issue cropped up about a year ago but the whole band went crazy with weird colors or something like that. Samsung tech support had me update the firmware and reset and that seemed to have mostly helped....but I'm not sure this issue hasn't been there since that point. I have had this set for a year and a half total. Did anyone have anything similar happen that gets corrected with resets and updates?

I have one other older samsung lcd tv that had an extended warranty and was fixed twice due to not turning on and then the traditional light and dark vertical banding that developed.

Wish I would have bought one on this set but my credit card company offers an extended warranty if samsung won't help.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
jdmst71 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #8372 of 8510 Old 12-28-2015, 12:37 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmst71 View Post
Long time lurker here. Thanks for all the knowledgeable people that contribute.

I'm having a picture problem with my 65f8000 and don't see anything quite like it in my search.

There is 3 inch wide vertical band just left of screen center that is having an intermittent picture issue. In this 3 inch wide vertical strip there will be horizontal stripes that appear and dissappear quickly in different vertical locations in this one segment of the screen. It happens mostly during bright scenes and fast video. I know it's not an hdmi cable since I reproduce this in the smart hub apps like YouTube and netflix.

This issue cropped up about a year ago but the whole band went crazy with weird colors or something like that. Samsung tech support had me update the firmware and reset and that seemed to have mostly helped....but I'm not sure this issue hasn't been there since that point. I have had this set for a year and a half total. Did anyone have anything similar happen that gets corrected with resets and updates?

I have one other older samsung lcd tv that had an extended warranty and was fixed twice due to not turning on and then the traditional light and dark vertical banding that developed.

Wish I would have bought one on this set but my credit card company offers an extended warranty if samsung won't help.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
Hi & Happy New Year

Do you have your F8K wall mounted ?

If so check to be sure there is no warpage going on ( if there was you probably would see it all the time. ).

If all is good or stand mounted , the only thing I can think of is to unplug it from the wall , and using the remote push and hold the power button until the red light stops flashing or the solenoid stops clicking ( that discharges the power-on cap ).

Wait about a minute , them plug back in and see what happens.

I have had my F8K since April of 2013 (early adopter ).

So far this is the only device on the planet that that reset actually works , from time to time !!

If that does not work and you can`t or don`t want to hold out for a new model , it might need repair.

Good luck ,

Gary 
jedi29 is offline  
post #8373 of 8510 Old 12-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 90
jdmst71,

I did extended warranty TV troubleshooting and diagnosis a couple years ago. Any intermittent vertical line/stripe issues are typically an indication of a bad T-Con board. The T-Con and the respective connectors are responsible for synchronizing the vertical lines of the panel. If the T-Con board is intact sometimes a connector can get pinched or under heavy use can melt the rubber coatings and introduce shorts/crosstalk. Both of which can manifest as entire vertical sections of the screen displaying incorrect or corrupted data or even noise.

I've never had a customer with anything higher than a 7000 series from Samsung so I think hardware failures on the higher end models especially in recent years is actually very rare. I take that back, I think a had a customer with a D8000 that had a bad mainboard. Over the thousands of customers I had high end models rarely popped up.

Fortunately these TVs are engineered modular-ly almost like a desktop computer making repair relatively inexpensive. As long as your panel is good any hardware fault isn't going to cost more than 1 or 2 hundred bucks at most for parts (this applies to higher end TVs which have much higher end internals) and if you're good with a screw driver and have steady hands you can do the 'labor' (I like to call fun) yourself.

Next time the lines/stripes appear apply some pressure around the front and back of the panel and pinch around the bezel, see if it responds to physical disturbance. If it does, likely a connector issue. If not likely a bad T-Con board (thermal expansion likely causing the failure to occur).

Last edited by DRN94; 12-28-2015 at 06:23 AM.
DRN94 is online now  
post #8374 of 8510 Old 12-28-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hi DRN94 ,

My Main Board failed after about 6 months , since then it has looked A-OK !! ( Oa geez , now I have to keep my fingers crossed for an hour !! )

Later

Me 
jedi29 is offline  
post #8375 of 8510 Old 12-28-2015, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hi DRN94 ,

My Main Board failed after about 6 months , since then it has looked A-OK !! ( Oa geez , now I have to keep my fingers crossed for an hour !! )

Later

Me 
jedi29 is offline  
post #8376 of 8510 Old 12-28-2015, 07:34 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Not again , I am seeing double and it`s only 10:35 am !
jedi29 is offline  
post #8377 of 8510 Old 12-28-2015, 06:30 PM
Newbie
 
jdmst71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It is wall mounted and hanging about 10 degrees slightly downwards so I guess a pressure issue could have caused this. Pressing around the panel bezel didn't help nor did torquing on it at the free edges.

I am good with fixing things and have disassembled a lot of electronics before but none as expensive as this set!

If it is a tcon board that would be awesome since it's easy. I was/am afraid it's a panel issue which would be a big undertaking.

As I type this I am on hold with Samsung's lovely tech support. I will let their repair recommendation come out and look it over. I found out today that I have a 1 year extended warranty through my credit card company so I going to exhaust these sources before I DIY. Since I am 1.5 years owned I doubt samsung will do it for free.

Thanks for the insight that the higher models usually hold up well.

Does anyone else have this wall mounted and should I be worried?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
jdmst71 is online now  
post #8378 of 8510 Old 12-29-2015, 05:40 AM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,971
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmst71 View Post
...... I was/am afraid it's a panel issue which would be a big undertaking.

...... Does anyone else have this wall mounted and should I be worried?
The panel is not difficult to change. I didn't do it myself, but I watch while the repair technician changed mine. Basically the panel is the TV. Everything else attaches to the back side of the panel, except for the metal strip that attaches around the edge. It took less than an hour to swap out.

Yes, my set is wall mounted, but that had nothing to do with the issue I had with my panel.


To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #8379 of 8510 Old 01-05-2016, 11:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Firmware version 1211 available for download now. Seems like the LEDs are being driven higher on the new update. My ambient light sensor on my phone says the brightness has increased about 6 to 7 percent since the new firmware. Could be a placebo though.

Call me a conspiracy theorist but I think Samsung engineers found a way to overdrive the edge LEDs considering their latest edge-lit HDR KS9500 model. I wonder if they pushed the trick, at least to some extent, to previous models. Or maybe LED brightness is strickly hardware dependent and I'm just dreaming the PQ on the F8000 has improved :T

Last edited by DRN94; 01-06-2016 at 01:21 AM.
DRN94 is online now  
post #8380 of 8510 Old 01-06-2016, 04:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hi DRN94 ,

It is a not a placebo effect , the LED`s have brightened. I did the update very early yesterday morning but was busy most of the day and did not notice the increased output of the LED`s , until last night.

Strange they went from 1209 to 2111 , like when they passed over "G" series and went straight to "H".

The "Smart Hub" is just about gone now , if you want it to be (WTF is he talk`n about )

Yes the SH is still there , however once you setup your mostly used apps , you no longer have a need to go to the old smart hub.

Did you notice this ? If not :

New Visuals for your App`s:

Open an app you use often , then close it. Hit the SH button and select "recent" , your app should be there. Move cursor over the app and on the upper right side you should see this symbol ^ , press "Up" arrow on IR remote or slide up on touch remote and select the symbol that looks like a pin.

There are two icons , a trash can and a pin , chose pin and the app will stay there until you trash it.

In a small round-a-bout way Samsung has made using the apps you want to use 75% easier , I have several apps I use on a daily basis and now all I have to do is it the SH button and scroll to find my app , just make sure once you set this up , use recent and not featured , which will be to the far left. When you want to rearrange , on the far right there is a trash can , just highlight it and trash your apps. Now featured becomes the dominant.

Personally , I like it much easier and faster and you don`t have to worry about seeing apps you will never use !!

It only took nearly 3 years , but Samsung just may have done something right , of course they can always muck it up if they chose to do so.

O____ Happy days

Later

Gary 

Last edited by jedi29; 01-06-2016 at 04:21 AM. Reason: added more words !
jedi29 is offline  
post #8381 of 8510 Old 01-06-2016, 11:52 AM
Member
 
arrow201's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ugh ...I like my brightness setting with v1209 ...anyone bothered to fiddle with the
brightness/contrast settings to bring it back down after this latest update ? ...or you
find the amount of brightness increase ok to leave it ?

>The "Smart Hub" is just about gone now ...
Should be called just "Hub" now
arrow201 is offline  
post #8382 of 8510 Old 01-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 90
They also skipped the "I" series and went to the "J" series. Wouldn't be surprised if they skip the "L" series and go to the "M" series.

Arrow201, the increase in brightness is very minimal. According to my phone's light sensor the increase of brightness is about 3/4 of a Backlight notch. So basically the new maximum of 20 on the new firmware is 20.75 on the previous firmware. I'm not sure if this scales linearly though so the differences may be even less the lower the Backlight setting.

I welcome the slight boost in brightness, I found highlights and light sources in the source material to pack a little extra punch just enough to make it seem more realistic without dilating/straining your pupil.
DRN94 is online now  
post #8383 of 8510 Old 01-06-2016, 01:10 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,971
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post
..... I found highlights and light sources in the source material to pack a little extra punch just enough to make it seem more realistic without dilating/straining your pupil.
HDR!!

It's HDR I tell you!!!

The F8000 can do HDR!!!!!



To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #8384 of 8510 Old 01-06-2016, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 90
I wish the F8000 was capable of HDR but at least we get a noticeable improvement!

As far as the update goes for user interface changes it looks like they've gotten rid of the traditional Smart Hub altogether and now have a "Tizen-like" interface for the 2013 models! I have the original TS01 F8000 from 2013 and on my screen the Smart Hub is gone and there is an in screen menu across the bottom like on the new Tizen platform. Nice to see them continue to support the older models.

PiratesCove likes this.

Last edited by DRN94; 01-06-2016 at 01:31 PM.
DRN94 is online now  
post #8385 of 8510 Old 01-06-2016, 06:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
PiratesCove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Homestead, FL
Posts: 4,269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 176
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

As far as the update goes for user interface changes it looks like they've gotten rid of the traditional Smart Hub altogether and now have a "Tizen-like" interface for the 2013 models! I have the original TS01 F8000 from 2013 and on my screen the Smart Hub is gone and there is an in screen menu across the bottom like on the new Tizen platform. Nice to see them continue to support the older models.

+1, the F7100 also got the "Tizen-like" Smart Hub Menu in our recent firmware update.


BFJ 96 likes this.
PiratesCove is offline  
post #8386 of 8510 Old 01-07-2016, 05:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
******** CURE FOR BRIGHT LIGHTS ********


Hi Guy`s ,

I can understand how an increased lumens of the LED output would bother just about everybody , I know it bugged me.

Real simple fix:

Lower the LED - Backlight setting by 2 and that should bring you back to 1209 brightness.

If you have individual setting for each input , just do the same !!

Later ,

Me 
jedi29 is offline  
post #8387 of 8510 Old 01-07-2016, 10:38 AM
Member
 
arrow201's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Thanks for the replies ...ya ...I'll give it a little more time to see if the brightness bugs me
or not ...so far, it's ok.... I think.... ...thanks Jedi ! ...I'll try those settings.


I echo the thoughts on the updated in-her-face; much cleaner/easier to get to your fav app... me like


So are we going to have a pool how many more updates it takes before the "Smart Hub"
button doesn't do anything ?
arrow201 is offline  
post #8388 of 8510 Old 01-07-2016, 04:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
"So are we going to have a pool how many more updates it takes before the "Smart Hub"
button doesn't do anything ? "

LOL

Well it better at least give me AIV & VUDU !!

Later

Gary 
jedi29 is offline  
post #8389 of 8510 Old 01-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Advanced Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post
******** CURE FOR BRIGHT LIGHTS ********

Real simple fix:

Lower the LED - Backlight setting by 2 and that should bring you back to 1209 brightness.
Yikes! Your LEDs must have brightened up more than mine. Mine only increased by about 1 Backlight notch. Which panel version do you have?

Last edited by DRN94; 01-07-2016 at 07:23 PM.
DRN94 is online now  
post #8390 of 8510 Old 01-07-2016, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post
Yikes! Your LEDs much have brightened up more than mine. Mine only increased by about 1 Backlight notch. Which panel version do you have?
Hi ,

I have the 46" F8000 series , I bought it from Amazon back in late April of 2013.

Yes , just about 2 down , it was set at 10 now its at 8 with "Eco" on 4 min for when the lights are off.

Standard setting , after main board was replaced in Sept. `13 , white balance adjustment was not needed only have done minor tweaking from factory settings !!

Later ,

Gary 
jedi29 is offline  
post #8391 of 8510 Old 01-08-2016, 12:56 PM
Member
 
EHSTEINERT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: St. Louis area
Posts: 23
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Firmware update; Evo kit

OK, I was scared ****less but I bit on the firmware update. I only did it because I checked here first. Other than the app interface I must admit I don't notice anything. My UN75F8000AFXZA has been calibrated and working great since I burned it in after delivery two years ago. I have a lot of hours on it with no complaints. I can park my keester in a bean bag 5' away and enjoy my own private 3D Imax.


I'm in no hurry to spring for 4K OLED.


Two questions:


1. What was the intent of this firmware update?


2. I was promised an Evolution Kit when the time was right to bring one out for this set. I ain't seen one... am I wrong?


Thanks much.


E
(Laservue survivor)
EHSTEINERT is offline  
post #8392 of 8510 Old 01-08-2016, 02:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 90
EHSTEINERT,

As far as I can tell the update is intended to update the Smart Hub in design (the new quick access on screen menu) and scale back the features to what is now supported. I'm assuming the "On TV" feature contract with TV providers expired and Samsung's data indicated that users are under using the feature to the point where it's not worth the cost of renewing.

It is also clear that some minor picture quality improvements have been made in terms of higher light output from the LEDs and from what I can tell a better local dimming algorithm. It seems that with every new trick Samsung's engineers learn with the local dimming with newer models they trickle those improvements down to the older models. I'm getting noticeably deeper blacks with less blooming since the new firmware. Again, could be a placebo but I watch this panel very closely and I believe there is a difference (and for the better). Higher brightness from LEDs and deeper blacks from the improved dimming means greater contrast ergo an improvement in picture quality.


As far as the Evolution Kit is concerned I am not qualified to really say. I'm very happy to see them update the older OS to somewhat resemble the Tizen OS like the quick access on screen menu. I'm not sure what the motive of the Evolution Kit is for if the software is more or less the same. All you're getting is a fractionally better processor (unless they drop in an octo-core beast but for 1080p it's not necessary) and reskin of the same menu system essentially. Without the One Connect Box I'd imagine it's very hard for Samsung to create an Evolution Kit that provides a distinct advantage over pushing software updates. From what we've seen they can change quite a bit via software updates, this latest firmware proves that. Perhaps they are realizing that the current processing power is sufficient to support future updates and what would have been an Evolution Kit purchase can now be mostly achieved with a free software update.
DRN94 is online now  
post #8393 of 8510 Old 01-08-2016, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Hi EHSTEINERT ,

1211 also did away with social TV app , it got terminated !!

Later ,

G.  
jedi29 is offline  
post #8394 of 8510 Old 01-08-2016, 04:10 PM
Member
 
arrow201's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I have to go with DNR94 re: background brightness, at least for my panel ...2 down is a tad much, I found 1 notch down to be closest to the level before the update.
arrow201 is offline  
post #8395 of 8510 Old 01-08-2016, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Yup ,

Somehow my "Eco Sensor" got turned off after the update , that is why mine was so bright. It is still brighter than 1209 , but you guy`s are right so I increased my backlight setting to 9 ( down 1 from 1209 ) after I turned on the eco sensor.

With eco sensor on it was getting to dark , so up from 8 , noticed when I watched with lights off , it was still bright , this morning ( after coffee ) I came back to life and reset things !

OK ,

Just wanted to let you guy`s know !!!

Later

Me 
jedi29 is offline  
post #8396 of 8510 Old 01-08-2016, 04:43 PM
Thread Ender
 
WS65711's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Covington, LA OTA & Charter CableCard
Posts: 4,971
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Quote:
Originally Posted by EHSTEINERT View Post
2. I was promised an Evolution Kit when the time was right to bring one out for this set. I ain't seen one... am I wrong?
Link copied from post 2204 in the Evo Kit Thread...

No new Evo Kit

To anyone interested in a Google Chromebox or Chromebook..
Be aware that these boxes run a variant of Linux and DO NOT support HDCP!!!
This means no support for HD on most streaming services. I wish I would have known this beforehand....

Blu-rays & DVD's
WS65711 is offline  
post #8397 of 8510 Old 01-09-2016, 08:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Anyone Notice A Degrade of PQ From the SH Update?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post
EHSTEINERT,

As far as I can tell the update is intended to update the Smart Hub in design (the new quick access on screen menu) and scale back the features to what is now supported. I'm assuming the "On TV" feature contract with TV providers expired and Samsung's data indicated that users are under using the feature to the point where it's not worth the cost of renewing.

It is also clear that some minor picture quality improvements have been made in terms of higher light output from the LEDs and from what I can tell a better local dimming algorithm. It seems that with every new trick Samsung's engineers learn with the local dimming with newer models they trickle those improvements down to the older models. I'm getting noticeably deeper blacks with less blooming since the new firmware. Again, could be a placebo but I watch this panel very closely and I believe there is a difference (and for the better). Higher brightness from LEDs and deeper blacks from the improved dimming means greater contrast ergo an improvement in picture quality.


As far as the Evolution Kit is concerned I am not qualified to really say. I'm very happy to see them update the older OS to somewhat resemble the Tizen OS like the quick access on screen menu. I'm not sure what the motive of the Evolution Kit is for if the software is more or less the same. All you're getting is a fractionally better processor (unless they drop in an octo-core beast but for 1080p it's not necessary) and reskin of the same menu system essentially. Without the One Connect Box I'd imagine it's very hard for Samsung to create an Evolution Kit that provides a distinct advantage over pushing software updates. From what we've seen they can change quite a bit via software updates, this latest firmware proves that. Perhaps they are realizing that the current processing power is sufficient to support future updates and what would have been an Evolution Kit purchase can now be mostly achieved with a free software update.

Since I updated my F7100, I have been searching forum(s) for feedback on actually a decline in PQ clarity/sharpness. I updated the F7100 (in our case Ver 2210 to 2211 to update the Smart Hub) and I noticed a distinct pic quality drop. It may be true black levels have been increased (one can notice this in the Menu Transparency mode - On Medium behind pic is barely visible as before it was). Perhaps blacks were increased at the expense of other color gamut and sharpness? I've done a system reset with no improvement IMO. Motion blur seems to be back as well that was noticeably gone in V 2210.


Would welcome any feedback from others that have noticed the change.
LOOK4PQ is offline  
post #8398 of 8510 Old 01-09-2016, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member
 
DRN94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 539
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOOK4PQ View Post
Since I updated my F7100, I have been searching forum(s) for feedback on actually a decline in PQ clarity/sharpness. I updated the F7100 (in our case Ver 2210 to 2211 to update the Smart Hub) and I noticed a distinct pic quality drop. It may be true black levels have been increased (one can notice this in the Menu Transparency mode - On Medium behind pic is barely visible as before it was). Perhaps blacks were increased at the expense of other color gamut and sharpness? I've done a system reset with no improvement IMO. Motion blur seems to be back as well that was noticeably gone in V 2210.


Would welcome any feedback from others that have noticed the change.
I'm not seeing any difference in sharpness. The only way I could see a drop in sharpness occurring is if your picture size has defaulted to 16:9 rather than screen fit for 1080p inputs. Sharpness is still razor sharp on the 0 setting for me (55" TS01 F8000).

Make sure the color space is where it should be (I have mine on Native to get a slightly higher color gamut than rec.709, Auto will give you a factory calibrated rec.709 gamut). Again, no loss in color saturation/accuracy after the latest update for me.

The improvement in black levels only occurs when there is a very low brightness level in the scene being displayed. This is when the F8000's local dimming is engaged by dimming individual parts of the image and it's doing it more aggressively leading to deeper black levels in darker scenes which is a good thing. The F7100 does not have this feature (although it may have the Cinema Black feature which dims the letter box bars to near black). If the transparency of the menu is crushing more detail to black then perhaps a change in brightness/gamma, which effects shadow and near black detail, has occurred. The ideal setting that I have found, at least for the F8000, is brightness 46 (makes level 1 grey visible but doesn't raise the black level) and gamma -1 (raises to 2.4 leading to a higher contrasting image and better inner scene color saturation).

My picture settings were left unchanged after the update but I've had instances on my 2012 model ES6100 where picture settings defaulted after an update. I would double check your settings and perhaps compare them with other F7100 users who have noticed a negative impact on picture quality.
DRN94 is online now  
post #8399 of 8510 Old 01-09-2016, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member
 
jedi29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,641
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 57
A-Ok , here too .

G, 
jedi29 is offline  
post #8400 of 8510 Old 01-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post
I'm not seeing any difference in sharpness.

Make sure the color space is where it should be (I have mine on Native to get a slightly higher color gamut than rec.709, Auto will give you a factory calibrated rec.709 gamut). Again, no loss in color saturation/accuracy after the latest update for me.

The improvement in black levels only occurs when there is a very low brightness level in the scene being displayed. This is when the F8000's local dimming is engaged by dimming individual parts of the image and it's doing it more aggressively leading to deeper black levels in darker scenes which is a good thing. The F7100 does not have this feature (although it may have the Cinema Black feature which dims the letter box bars to near black). If the transparency of the menu is crushing more detail to black then perhaps a change in brightness/gamma, which effects shadow and near black detail, has occurred. The ideal setting that I have found, at least for the F8000, is brightness 46 (makes level 1 grey visible but doesn't raise the black level) and gamma -1 (raises to 2.4 leading to a higher contrasting image and better inner scene color saturation).

My picture settings were left unchanged after the update but I've had instances on my 2012 model ES6100 where picture settings defaulted after an update. I would double check your settings and perhaps compare them with other F7100 users who have noticed a negative impact on picture quality.

Thanks for your detailed response, DRN94... Yes, as you rightly point out, the F7100 does not have local dimming but it does appear to have more black crush as you suggest. I too keep brightness at near your number (45) but still have gamma at 0... My settings are identical prior to the update (I always keep a record) and re-entered following a system reset thinking the Firmware may have somehow changed settings without actual visible number setting changes. For now, I will play with the backlight, gamma, sharpness, etc.
Increased motion blur does seem to have increased on the F7100 as well (at least mine)... Not much I can do here as I dislike (and disable) the Auto Motion features.


Anyways, it appears all good on the F8000 front... Thanks again for the reply...
LOOK4PQ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off