Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 285 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 115Likes

post #8521 of 8530 Old 09-07-2016, 10:22 AM
JFK

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Apologize for asking but my google-fu is not producing the results I'm looking for. I have had my F8000 since 2014 and love it. However, yesterday I wanted to make some changes based on the wonderful settings I found in this thread.

Long story short, my lovely wife has misplaced the F8000 remote. I downloaded an Android app and once installed, the F8000 requested that I give permission to the Android app for control. Needless to say that without the F8000 remote, I couldn't do a thing to grant that permission.

Question. Do any of you use an Android TV remote app to run your F8000 and if so, which? I do not have an IR Blaster on my Note 5, so I'll have to go IP based/Wireless and I know quite a few on Google Play will do that. But would love to hear from you all!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #8522 of 8530 Old 09-14-2016, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Hi All,

Apologize for asking but my google-fu is not producing the results I'm looking for. I have had my F8000 since 2014 and love it. However, yesterday I wanted to make some changes based on the wonderful settings I found in this thread.

Long story short, my lovely wife has misplaced the F8000 remote. I downloaded an Android app and once installed, the F8000 requested that I give permission to the Android app for control. Needless to say that without the F8000 remote, I couldn't do a thing to grant that permission.

Question. Do any of you use an Android TV remote app to run your F8000 and if so, which? I do not have an IR Blaster on my Note 5, so I'll have to go IP based/Wireless and I know quite a few on Google Play will do that. But would love to hear from you all!

Thanks

I read that a number of people got 2 remotes with their F8000s, the pad and a standard type remote. I was jealous so I bought the standard
too. :P They both have their advantages/disadvantages. ...anyway, what i'm getting at is you should still be able to find it. You want model
"BN59-01054A". As of this writing I see one in stock at amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-BN59-...ds=BN59-01054A

It's not cheap, but the quality is top notch. There are cheaper generic copies, but I don't know how well they work.
post #8523 of 8530 Old 09-14-2016, 05:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Hi All,

Thanks
Hi ,

Go to your local Best Buy , and pick up the cheapest RCA universal remote they have , that should help.

Gary
post #8524 of 8530 Old 09-18-2016, 11:52 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post
TS01 is the original panel that got rave reviews from critics. I have a TS01 panel as well so our picture characteristics should be fairly similar.

Sorry again for that mix up, I cannot believe that went over my head for so long. Your picture should look stellar.

You'll probably notice the white balance values changed, after doing further experimenting it appears Red is the most adjustment sensitive and clips after 30, while green is slightly less sensitive and clips after 35-40 and blue is the least sensitive and doesn't clip at all. So for the contrast ratio boosting trick setting blue to 50 and red to 30 gives the absolute highest contrast ratio possible on the F8000. Then of course you adjust the green accordingly until white is "pure" and close to the D6500K (this is in side by side comparison to the factory calibrated 2014 F8500, Tom's Hardware found this to be nearly perfectly calibrated out of the box, one of the most accurate factory calibrations from Samsung ever).

Keep in mind that with the contrast ratio boosting trick gamma drops on the higher end lending to slightly brighter than normal white detail. To my eye and I would think many others this slight brightening makes the picture have an HDR like pop to it. If you want true reference gamma then you'll have to invest in a meter.

One thing I should point out, my F8000 has a slight greenish/yellowish tint in the center portion of the screen and a reddish tint on the left and right sides. This is normal for edge lit displays as the yellow phosphor'ed LEDs diffuse across the screen. The affect is less pronounced on most TVs but for me the center portion of the screen is what was "calibrated" and the peripheral sides are not. Unfortunately I discovered this tint a couple years after I got the F8000 so I couldn't do anything about it and since I went that long without noticing it goes to show that it's probably not anything to worry about anyways.

The point is you will need to adjust green accordingly to your F8000's tint uniformity. If you don't have the green tint in the center you may need to increase the green gain.

After that your picture should look stunning and almost "mimic" HDR with the added pop on the bright end of the picture.

I will recheck the green tint issue, but haven't noticed anything overly obvious. Thanks for the heads up.

On another note, I meant to mention this a while back, but as I only recently updated my firmware I noticed some peculiar things associated with it.

As of the latest firmware update ( I had not updated for a year or so prior to this ) I've noticed several substantial changes to my picture settings.

1: game mode used to have many of the processing features greyed out and disabled. But now game mode retains "smart led" to "high" from our movie mode settings. I now have to always disable this.

Also game mode allows for auto motion as well as Color space control. It used to default to native.

I may be wrong but I believe most of these if not all were disabled to decrease input lag. Especially smart LeD and the fAct that the setting is not exclusive to the input mode.

2: "natural" picture mode used to be much brighter than movie mode and second only to dynamic. Now I find that natural is very dark , even darker than standard.

Also I did a browser check to test black levels and it appears "natural " is crushing the black levels badly even with the correct hdmi settings.

Not sure what these changes were for but if you have a chance I'd appreciate a comparison.

Also, my tv's picture quality is better than ever. Your settings combined with a great tv have kept me a happy customer. I've also got media player home cinema switching the f8000 to 23.676 (24p mode) anytime I watch a movie on my PC. And the "clear" setting takes care of the motion blur without the induced judder nicely.

I'd like to get a brand new 4K TV but honestly I'm having trouble justifying it with as good as the 8000 is, even 3 years later.
post #8525 of 8530 Old 09-19-2016, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi ,

FYI :

4K`s are ok , but think about source material , not that much , some yes , more tomorrow , yes.

Now think of all the sub formats like :

HDR needs 10bit panel

HDR10 needs 10bit panel and high color gambit ( software upgradable )

DolbyVision , a whole other deal that is hard wired to the main board and is not HDR10 compatible , so you throw all that into the mix and it starts to look like HD-DVD versus Blu-Ray all over again

Will I buy , yup , not because I want to , but because all electronics are a ticking failure.

Sad , but true , look at the K8000 compared to the F8K , it`s like the "K" is missing all the good stuff that makes the F8K special , 3D , animated menus , has camera ( albeit a bad camera ). and HDR10 , but no DolbyVision.

I just not sure , but I know I will someday have to make a choice.

O___well as always !! LOL

Later

Me 
post #8526 of 8530 Old 09-21-2016, 07:35 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 91
The F8000 represents the pinnacle of 1080p televisions. We have not seen the pinnacle of 4K HDR TVs just yet, we've seen great TVs but by no means pinnacle ones.

I have a rough prediction that we won't see a 4K HDR TV that hits the entire rec.2020 color space as well as hit 4000-10,000 nits for several years. When that pinnacle 4K HDR TV or the generation after drops then there will be a compelling reason to replace or displace the F8000. Until then, happy viewing on the F8000!
HPQ likes this.
post #8527 of 8530 Old 09-21-2016, 10:22 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
The F8000 represents the pinnacle of 1080p televisions. We have not seen the pinnacle of 4K HDR TVs just yet, we've seen great TVs but by no means pinnacle ones.

I have a rough prediction that we won't see a 4K HDR TV that hits the entire rec.2020 color space as well as hit 4000-10,000 nits for several years. When that pinnacle 4K HDR TV or the generation after drops then there will be a compelling reason to replace or displace the F8000. Until then, happy viewing on the F8000!

Agree 100% ! I was at Best Buy and looked at their 4K sets while passing by, sure they look great ...with their 4K content demos! A friend of mine recently bought a LG 4K (55UH6550 ...ok not top of the line but still ), when hooked up to every day cable, it still doesn't look as good as a F8000. Plan to hold on to the F8000 for a number of years
post #8528 of 8530 Old 09-21-2016, 11:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Hi Guy`s ,

Count me in on that 100% agreement

They have a long way to go , 4K is so convoluted right now with HDR / HDR10 and DolbyVision , it is hard to keep up.

What we stocked a few months ago 'is already getting long -in-the tooth , so to speak.

I believe this years Black Friday & Cyber Monday , will be looked back upon as the 2 days that sold the most TV`s ever and >90% will be 4K`s.

Of course that statement is just a very wild guess on my behalf , we might have a run on toasters instead !!

Later

G. 
post #8529 of 8530 Old 09-21-2016, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 71
Quote:

werd

my stuff:

Harman Kardon AVR 3600

Emotiva XPA-3

OPPO BDP-103

Klipsch RF-82II Mains

Klipsch RC 62II Center

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Surrounds

Klipsch SS.5 L&R Rear Surrounds

HSU Research VTF2-MK4 Subwoofer

Samsung UN65F8000 LED Monitor

post #8530 of 8530 Old 09-22-2016, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
The only current 4K TVs I'd be really inclined to splurge on would be LGs OLED. But knowing that (as many of you said) there are some technologies that haven't had time to mature as well as high costs-- will keep me from buying.

The HDR format war is an issue, even though with Dolby you have a bit more flexibility assuming your panel supports it.

I also find it extremely annoying that none of these displays support native display port that I'm aware of. It's time for HDMI to go.

Did anyone notice the picture changes I listed to the f8000 in my last post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page