Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 7586 Old 05-08-2013, 09:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
stupid question i'm sure but brand new owner here and i swear i got the tv to turn ON via voice control but i cannot get it to do it anymore, turning off is fine. Anybody know what the voice command to turn the thing on is? or even like a cheat sheet of voice commands?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 7586 Old 05-09-2013, 12:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by mranbel View Post

stupid question i'm sure but brand new owner here and i swear i got the tv to turn ON via voice control but i cannot get it to do it anymore, turning off is fine. Anybody know what the voice command to turn the thing on is? or even like a cheat sheet of voice commands?

"Hi TV" (pause) "Power On"

"Hi TV" is the keyphrase to get the tv to listen to your voice commands. A guide would be nice actually. I just discovered the other day you can say "volume up 20" for instance and it will jump up 20 notches in volume. I wish you could just say a channel and it would go to it but it doesn't work that way.

I can't get it to understand me saying "Power Off" - it just keeps thinking I'm saying something else. I've been leaving it off since the other day - we were watching "Poseidon" and a character says "Hi, it's me" over his cell phone and the tv heard him say it but thought he said "Hi TV" and then the voice pop-up came up - it's been off ever since.
RadioWonder likes this.
post #993 of 7586 Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

This makes me a little nervous actually. I'm waiting for my replacement due on Friday from Best Buy. My current F8000 has a dead pixel. Otherwise it looks fantastic with zero clouding and only very minor flashlighting. The fact that these panels still vary means that maybe the new one I get will look worse. I'm really hoping that's not the case, because I won't settle for a panel that looks worse than one I already had.

Glad to hear you got a good one.

I think mine was damaged, not an issue of quality control. I actually think the trucking company stored it horizontally. The set had a curve to it that the be one didn't. From the side u could actually see it (ever so slightly) curved in near the center. The new one is flat. I originally thought it was supposed to be slightly curved, but apparently not.
post #994 of 7586 Old 05-09-2013, 04:17 AM

Quote:

"Hi TV" (pause) "Power On"

"Hi TV" is the keyphrase to get the tv to listen to your voice commands. A guide would be nice actually. I just discovered the other day you can say "volume up 20" for instance and it will jump up 20 notches in volume. I wish you could just say a channel and it would go to it but it doesn't work that way.

I can't get it to understand me saying "Power Off" - it just keeps thinking I'm saying something else. I've been leaving it off since the other day - we were watching "Poseidon" and a character says "Hi, it's me" over his cell phone and the tv heard him say it but thought he said "Hi TV" and then the voice pop-up came up - it's been off ever since.

Just to let you know Eagle I can get mine to change channels by voice by saying change channel 424 and then boom it does it. You have to say change channel then the numbers. any other phrase wont work. Also if you say last channel it will go back to the last channel it was on. However since the latest update the voice command seems worse. It will take last channel as weather channel about 80% of the time now.

Whats funny is that I say last really slowly now and it only lists that I said last so I have to say the phrase again a little quicker and then it says I said weather channel. So that last channel function might be a no go for now until they fix what they broke. Change channel command followed by the numbers works fine though.
post #995 of 7586 Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 AM

yep, me too. this is quite annoying. I contacted samsung, and they advised me to use the anynet+ function

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/supportOwnersHowToGuidePopup.do?howto_guide_seq=1060&prd_ia_cd=N0000058&map_seq=38573

I haven't tried it yet, but this might work if your external sound device is compatible.
post #996 of 7586 Old 05-09-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeso View Post

I think mine was damaged, not an issue of quality control. I actually think the trucking company stored it horizontally. The set had a curve to it that the be one didn't. From the side u could actually see it (ever so slightly) curved in near the center. The new one is flat. I originally thought it was supposed to be slightly curved, but apparently not.

My current set that's waiting for a replacement for a dead pixel also has a slight inward curve. I believe this may be normal for these sets. I've seen this curve mentioned previously with the F8000 and somebody even posted pictures where you could see it (can't remember if it was this forum or the UK one).

Regarding horizontal transport, is this a real thing? So if Best Buy or Sears or Amazon temporarily sets these boxes down horizontally they're all ruined? That seems rather unlikely to me - I would imagine these things are packed to withstand shipping as long as they aren't kicked around or otherwise abused. I've read in the past about plasmas needing to be kept in an upright position, but why would it matter for LCD?
post #997 of 7586 Old 05-09-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben818 View Post

Just to let you know Eagle I can get mine to change channels by voice by saying change channel 424 and then boom it does it. You have to say change channel then the numbers. any other phrase wont work. Also if you say last channel it will go back to the last channel it was on. However since the latest update the voice command seems worse. It will take last channel as weather channel about 80% of the time now.

Whats funny is that I say last really slowly now and it only lists that I said last so I have to say the phrase again a little quicker and then it says I said weather channel. So that last channel function might be a no go for now until they fix what they broke. Change channel command followed by the numbers works fine though.

Thanks for the tip - I wasn't aware of that channel command. How are we supposed to know these things? Is there a voice guide or something? It's too bad that the speakers themselves can trigger the voice commands - like I mentioned earlier, we were watching a movie when a character on-screen said something that triggered the voice command icon. Makes me wonder if I'll just be leaving it off so that doesn't happen again while we're watching movies.
post #998 of 7586 Old 05-09-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:

My current set that's waiting for a replacement for a dead pixel also has a slight inward curve. I believe this may be normal for these sets. I've seen this curve mentioned previously with the F8000 and somebody even posted pictures where you could see it (can't remember if it was this forum or the UK one).

Regarding horizontal transport, is this a real thing? So if Best Buy or Sears or Amazon temporarily sets these boxes down horizontally they're all ruined? That seems rather unlikely to me - I would imagine these things are packed to withstand shipping as long as they aren't kicked around or otherwise abused. I've read in the past about plasmas needing to be kept in an upright position, but why would it matter for LCD?

Side pressures on LCD definitely affect it. Press your finger onto and LCD and you get the same effect as what I saw on my tv. Pile other objects on it for a week as you drive from Phoenix and I can see real problems developing. They're packed in styrofoam and cardboard, not steel.
post #999 of 7586 Old 05-09-2013, 02:32 PM

Liked: 11
There is quite a bit on Voice Recognition in the manual. Starts on page 60, or use Find and put in "Voice Recognition".

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN60F8000BFXZA#

Manuals, User Manual in the drop-down.
post #1000 of 7586 Old 05-09-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have been reading over the thread and can't seem to find a Samsung UN75F8000 owner....I may have missed one....but I am curious of their impressions.

Does anyone own the UN75F8000? I am thinking of getting but none that size are displayed in my area to look at. I have only seen the UN60F8000 and it looked quite good. The black levels were surprising good as well as the detail. However it was at a sears store and they had it mounted about 10ft up so I really couldn't get a good look.

I am coming from a Sharp Elite 70" but if the black levels come even close I would be interested in buying. I am also exploring the LG 4K 84' but it maybe a bit early to buy a 1st generation 4K. Also looked at the Sony 4K 84", terrific up scaling but the price is way out there.

So if I were to buy the Samsung F8000 75" I might be forced to possibly buy it sight unseen. So any impressions would be valued.
post #1001 of 7586 Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I have been reading over the thread and can't seem to find a Samsung UN75F8000 owner....I may have missed one....but I am curious of their impressions.

Does anyone own the UN75F8000? I am thinking of getting but none that size are displayed in my area to look at. I have only seen the UN60F8000 and it looked quite good. The black levels were surprising good as well as the detail. However it was at a sears store and they had it mounted about 10ft up so I really couldn't get a good look.

I am coming from a Sharp Elite 70" but if the black levels come even close I would be interested in buying. I am also exploring the LG 4K 84' but it maybe a bit early to buy a 1st generation 4K. Also looked at the Sony 4K 84", terrific up scaling but the price is way out there.

So if I were to buy the Samsung F8000 75" I might be forced to possibly buy it sight unseen. So any impressions would be valued.

That's because it's not available yet...

Dave

post #1002 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok thanks. However it is available at the Magnolia store I go or they say they can get it but they just don't have it on display. I am thinking of getting it. Perhaps I will be the first to review it then.
post #1003 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Please do...but I bet you have a bit of a wait, as I pre - ordered one from Robert at VE two months ago...

Magnolia can say what they like. "Proof's in the pudding..."

Dave

post #1004 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

I will let you know. They said they had it in a warehouse in Va. But who knows for sure, maybe they were just saying that for hopes of a sale.

I am still trying to decide between the F8000 75" and the LG 4K 84". Looked at a the F8000 55" today and it looked really good. The black levels and PQ was outstanding. If the 75" looks as good as the 55" I may be buying.
Still trying to get a look at the LG 4K but can't seem to find it around where I live, just have the Sony 4K 84".

I talked to Robert yesterday about the LG but didn't ask about the F8000. He was getting ready for the shootout.
post #1005 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 12:52 PM

Has anyone notice what changes has been made to the F8000 with the last three updates?

1101.2 , 1102.2 , 1103.1
post #1006 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 01:01 PM

i am having a problem, when i enter smart hub and go to the apps section everything is blank except except an ad. there is no app store or anyway of adding any apps. When i click on the ad it and click enter it says something like the smart hub apps have not completed installing yet. what are they taling about. I would live to put hbo go on there but there is no way to access any kind of store. What am i doing wrong?
post #1007 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mranbel View Post

i am having a problem, when i enter smart hub and go to the apps section everything is blank except except an ad. there is no app store or anyway of adding any apps. When i click on the ad it and click enter it says something like the smart hub apps have not completed installing yet. what are they taling about. I would live to put hbo go on there but there is no way to access any kind of store. What am i doing wrong?

Try resetting the smart hub.
post #1008 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 01:47 PM

Liked: 20
http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN75F8000AFXZA
$8,399.99... UN75F8000AFXZA

Also...
This firmware is for TV Model(s): LED F7450/F7500/F7550/F8000
The version is 1103.1
This firmware update will improve the following:

- Solves Brightness Popping issue

- Improves picture quality.

- Supports more MSO in OnTV feature.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature.

OLED Panels/ 4K Ultra HD TV... Redefining an Imperfect World

post #1009 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Nice to see the price has dropped $600 and you can't even get one yet.

Wonder how low it will be by the time they're actually available?

Dave

post #1010 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Nice to see the price has dropped $600 and you can't even get one yet.

Wonder how low it will be by the time they're actually available?

Samsung just put this up in the last 24 hours. I would think it was available... Try adding it to your Shopping Cart and see what happens... biggrin.gif
Sorry I did not see your post... "I pre - ordered one from Robert at VE two months ago..."

post #1011 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 02:54 PM

I have a UN46F8000BF coming at the end of next week from BB. I was reading through the E Manual and was very surprised to find this... " The TV does not support network speeds less than or equal to 10Mbps."
This is the best I can do... http://www.speedtest.net/result/2246033604.png

Has anyone been able to connect with less than 10 Mbps???
I really wanted to try Samsung's Explore 3D App...
http://youtu.be/0nimhvDeZEk
Any help would be very much appreciated... Thanks!!!

post #1012 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 03:01 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioWonder View Post

- Supports more MSO in OnTV feature.
What is this feature??
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeso View Post

On amazon.com I went to the help section and clicked on the "contact us bottom." On vudu.com I went to the support section after I signed in and there is also an option to send your questions to support. These features are part of their website support and use the email address from your account. Thanks by the way. The more complaints the better.

I urge everyone to put in suggestions to amazon/vudo like Keeso and I have!

Amazon Contact US Link
-Add search-ability from video section within Smarthub.
-Add cinema black feature to a

Vudu Contact US link
-Add cinema Black feature support to this app

Also lets keep hassling Samsung to fix game mode! (eagle is there anything else that you've mentioned that samsung needs to hear about from the masses?
post #1013 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 03:14 PM

"What is this feature??"

http://virtualmsosfu.blogspot.com/

post #1014 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

What is this feature??
I urge everyone to put in suggestions to amazon/vudo like Keeso and I have!

Amazon Contact US Link
-Add search-ability from video section within Smarthub.
-Add cinema black feature to a

Vudu Contact US link
-Add cinema Black feature support to this app

Also lets keep hassling Samsung to fix game mode! (eagle is there anything else that you've mentioned that samsung needs to hear about from the masses?

- game mode needs improving because currently input lag is far too high in game mode (close to non-game mode) - only pc mode is effective currently. (you already mentioned this I know)

- Auto Motion Plus - frequent/severe stuttering in custom mode with judder reduction=0, blur reduction = 10 (or any number for blur reduction only really). This means blur reduction cannot be enabled because using this custom setting should enable blur reduction while not introducing motion interpolation, to avoid the soap opera effect while enabling blur reduction - but doing this introduces high amounts of stuttering. ALSO some HDTV channels have the "soap opera effect" when using this custom setting - this shouldn't happen.

- Auto Motion Plus - again, with the same custom setting - motion interpolation is forced on and causes a rather strong amount of "soap opera effect" with all 25.000 fps material, and all PAL material (like PAL DVD sources). Again, the point of this custom setting with blur reduction on but judder reduction off is to enable blur reduction while keeping the motion free of the unwanted soap opera effect. But with PAL/25.000 content - it always. always forces on frame interpolation. This is a big problem, as I have many PAL/25.000 videos. This is with the US model F8000. This doesn't happen with other framerates that I've tried so far - only PAL/25.000 content. This happens from HDMI input, and even when playing a 25.000fps file off a USB flash stick directly with the built-in media player. These AMP issues really need to be looked at.
post #1015 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I watched the Value Electronics shootout tonight. Long but very interesting and worth it. I'm glad I went with the F8000 and not the Panasonic LED because that set looked awful with everything I saw on it tonight. Worst set by far in the show.

I have a question about something that was touched upon in the shootout: I've mentioned my issue with my last F8000 that when using the white clipping pattern from the WOW disc or the AVS disc, the white screen and even the flashing bars or the stars would turn very pinkish if I turned up the contrast past a certain point. Well at one point in the shootout, when they had the white clipping pattern on, the same thing was happening to their F8000 and their F8500 - and these were pro-calibrated sets. They even discussed it a bit - and said that both Samsungs did this with the white clipping pattern - it would push towards pink/red to the point where it was noticeably pink compared to the other panels.

So then I have to wonder if all Samsung sets will just be like this this year - obviously it wasn't just my set that had an issue - and even through calibration they were unable to correct for this. While they did say it shouldn't be happening, they didn't seem particularly concerned, at least at that point in the shootout.

Does this pink tinting of the white clipping pattern affect the actual color/tint of actual viewing, or would this really only affect the white clipping patterns, but not so much the real-world viewing of the set? This tinting has me wondering if this means all very bright scenes or scenes with bright whites would be tinted pinkish? Is this anything to be concerned over? I certainly don't want all the bright highlights in my viewing to take on this pink tinting.
post #1016 of 7586 Old 05-10-2013, 10:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Another thing they were discussing a bit during the shootout was 3D motion resolution. From what I understood, they said the Samsung plasma was capable of full 1080p 3D motion resolution, as opposed to the Panasonics which cut resolution. I'm not sure how LCD is affected though. Can anybody explain more about motion resolution, and how it affects 3D? I have heard some say that the 3D motion in these sets are only capable of 300 lines, but I thought Samsung was able to produce all 1080 lines during 3D motion? Is this only with motion interpolation on, or would the custom blur-reduction setting make this possible? Can anybody shed some light on this topic? It's a bit confusing to me with how it applies to the F8000.
post #1017 of 7586 Old 05-11-2013, 01:15 AM

Hello everyone, I'm not an owner of an f8000, but I have been following all the news on it since its release and I have a question about the s recommendation feature. Basically, my question is how does it work? I mean how does the tv know what's on the other channels if you use a stb? I know it knows what's on the channel your watching, but how does it know what's on the other channels? Better yet, how can it get clips of the other channels? The reason I'm asking about this is because I have an es7500 model and the evolution kits for these models will be coming out soon and I'm trying to get a little more info on how the new features on the f8000 models work so I can make an informed decision on whether to get the kit or not.
post #1018 of 7586 Old 05-11-2013, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreaux View Post

I saw one at best buy magnolia. Looked Very Nice, not as quite as nice as the Sony 65" 4k for the same price though. Thinking the 4k would be the better buy if you keep tv's for a minimum of a couple of years.
post #1019 of 7586 Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Silly question. I see how to enable Game Mode, but I don't see how to enable PC Mode. I searched the eManual and couldn't find it. I'm sure it's right in front of me, but if someone could let me know that would be great.

Separately, if you are running the sources through and A/V receiver, I assume the only way to use PC (or Game) Mode is to manually switch it on whenever you want to use that source? The reason I'm asking is that I have a Wii U and although I could connect it directly to the Samsung and just keep it on PC Mode, if I do that I lose some sound benefit (2 channel vs 5 channel) since the Wii U doesn't have an digital audio out. Anyone have any thoughts?

Rich S
TiVo since 1999
post #1020 of 7586 Old 05-11-2013, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine Davis View Post

Hello everyone, I'm not an owner of an f8000, but I have been following all the news on it since its release and I have a question about the s recommendation feature. Basically, my question is how does it work? I mean how does the tv know what's on the other channels if you use a stb? I know it knows what's on the channel your watching, but how does it know what's on the other channels? Better yet, how can it get clips of the other channels? The reason I'm asking about this is because I have an es7500 model and the evolution kits for these models will be coming out soon and I'm trying to get a little more info on how the new features on the f8000 models work so I can make an informed decision on whether to get the kit or not.
Basically it pulls this info off of the Internet. I had the same concern but it works perfectly.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page