Originally Posted by buzzard767
My F8000 is only 20 miles away but delivery isn't going to happen until tomorrow. Bummer
For the owners thread only I'll be posting the following as I get to them.
1. Black and white levels and the effects on them selecting various menu options
1B. Settings for non calibrators
2. Flashlighting and screen uniformity (measured)
4. Calibration differences if any among Custom, Cal Day, & Cal Night. The latter two will be enabled in the service menu
5. 2D and 3D calibration reports
6. External 3D LUT calibration with LightSpace professional software and the eeColor Box as the LUT container/processor
This is one of the few TVs that has red whites from the factory. Usually they're very blue to make them look brighter on the BestBuy wall of glass.
I'll start out with the best news first - black levels are deeper than we've been lead to believe. It turns out that the backlight not only controls the top end but is heavy into the bottom as well. With Brightness properly set I got On/Off Contrast Black at .006 FtL. and ANSI .011 to .012.
For you non calibrators here's an initial setup that won't get you into trouble:
Turn everything off that has an Auto function except Color Space
Pic Size - screen fit
Color temp - Warm 2
Film Mode Auto 2 - haven't checked it yet
Auto Motion Plus > Custon > Blur = 10, Judder = 0, Clear = off
Color Space - Auto
10 point WB - Off
Those few numbers lead to this (nice TV)
Naturally I couldn't stop there so I jumped into the Service Menu....
....and enabled Cal Day & Night
I'll be watching some content tonight with a fully calibrated Cal Night mode.
Enough for now....