Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MO12 View Post

Here are couple shots, not in complete darkness though if this helps:

http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/173512/width/350/height/700/flags/LL

http://www.avsforum.com/content/type/61/id/173518/

And No, you are not being rude. I am still learning a lot from this great Forum

BTW, does anyone know where I can buy longer power cords for the TV.

Is that corner flashlighting I see?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 7470 Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattoc59 View Post

Is that corner flashlighting I see?

Whatever it is, those two shots certainly are not promising considering neither was in a completely dark room and both appear to have either flashlighting or edge bleed. I guess cinema black/precision black can darken the bars when turning off the top and bottom zones, but for full screen material, it will still be an issue.

I just watched Pi, so I went back to those same two scenes and they should not look like the pics that were posted.
post #93 of 7470 Old 03-25-2013, 09:07 PM

Liked: 36
I actually just finished watching Life of Pi and never saw that. It could just be the camera. My cell phone doesn't exactly take a great photo of the television, either.
post #94 of 7470 Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 PM

Liked: 23
my 60" panny ST30 looks better then that when watching life of pi
post #95 of 7470 Old 03-25-2013, 09:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGuy01 View Post

I actually just finished watching Life of Pi and never saw that. It could just be the camera. My cell phone doesn't exactly take a great photo of the television,
Aguy, would you be able to post screen shots of those same two scenes in a completely dark room? Would like to see comparisons between yours and MO12s sets.
post #96 of 7470 Old 03-25-2013, 11:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSIG1001 View Post

my 60" panny ST30 looks better then that when watching life of pi

Oh, please...

Like you can tell from a tiny image of a cell phone shot what a TV looks like. rolleyes.gif

That's ridiculous. eek.gif

Some people around here are being anal to the point of absurdity. tongue.gif

I'm not aiming this comment at anyone in particular. But you know who you are... biggrin.gif
gregleg likes this.

Dave

post #97 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 01:17 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwood View Post

here is the opening credits of pans labyrinth

i dont see any clouds ..

I see some clouding/bleeding going on in the text picture on both right & left sides.nothing really bad, might be the angle of the shot.
would like to see the same shot in a dark room thx.

SEK-2000/ZA....Any GOOD ?
post #98 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 27
A lot of assuming from just a photo of questionable quality.
post #99 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh00ter View Post

First post for me. I bought this TV on 3/16. It has been great so far. I can't believe how black the blacks are. Really happy with my purchase.

I am debating if I should update my FW though. I am on 1012 and I see that 1015 is out. I do have the issue that some others have had where voice req comes on by itself. I guess i could turn that off since i don't ever use it to see if still comes on by itself.

Try running the voice recognition set-up. Since I've done that I haven't had any random activation of the voice input.
post #100 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetjocky View Post

A lot of assuming from just a photo of questionable quality.

It could be the camera but the two bottom shots don't look as good as the top. One would think the black level should look just as good as the top picture.

LL
post #101 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Got my F8000 last night (my Panasonic GT30 was replaced under the GS extended warranty due to irreparable burn-in).

So far I really like it a lot - but I'm having a heckuva time with my Logitech Harmony One remote and trying to get it work well with the TV and still try to use some of the features of the Samsung TouchPad remote.

Also - is there any way to get the TV to go directly to TV rather than the Smart Hub with the TV picture in a little box when I first turn it on?

Finally - how do I display Input info on the screen (that shows what resolution the TV is getting)? There is no "info" button anywhere that I've noticed.

I'll be sure to report further on my findings, likes and dislikes. But so far it's really a nice TV to replace my GT30 (I also have a Pioneer Elite 940 that's in my garage).

~Bill
post #102 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Sullins View Post

It could be the camera but the two bottom shots don't look as good as the top. One would think the black level should look just as good as the top picture.

LL

I think the thing to remember is that one can't expect any edge lit to be perfect uniformity wise. To many anomalies can pop up. The F8000 certainly looks like it has corrected many issues of the ES8000 by enabling full user control over dimming features. But anyone expecting it to equal a full array local dimming like the HX950 or Elite in regards to black levels is going to be disappointed. Anyone looking for an improvement over previous edge lit technology will be satisfied.
post #103 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

I think the thing to remember is that one can't expect any edge lit to be perfect uniformity wise. To many anomalies can pop up. The F8000 certainly looks like it has corrected many issues of the ES8000 by enabling full user control over dimming features. But anyone expecting it to equal a full array local dimming like the HX950 or Elite in regards to black levels is going to be disappointed. Anyone looking for an improvement over previous edge lit technology will be satisfied.

I was just trying to suggest it's NOT the camera and in fact the tv since the top image looks fine and the bottom two clearly show some issues. I don't know if the OP has or doesn't have the proper settings activated but clearly after seeing those images I'm kind of thinking of snatching up a 950 again and wait for 4k/UHD to become more reasonable in price.
post #104 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Got my F8000 last night (my Panasonic GT30 was replaced under the GS extended warranty due to irreparable burn-in).

So far I really like it a lot - but I'm having a heckuva time with my Logitech Harmony One remote and trying to get it work well with the TV and still try to use some of the features of the Samsung TouchPad remote.

Also - is there any way to get the TV to go directly to TV rather than the Smart Hub with the TV picture in a little box when I first turn it on?

Finally - how do I display Input info on the screen (that shows what resolution the TV is getting)? There is no "info" button anywhere that I've noticed.

I'll be sure to report further on my findings, likes and dislikes. But so far it's really a nice TV to replace my GT30 (I also have a Pioneer Elite 940 that's in my garage).

I'm not at home right now, so can't tell you the exact steps, but if I remember correctly, you can set it so that it doesn't go to Smart Hub upon startup. Try looking in the Smart Hub section of the settings. I think it's towards the bottom of the settings.

I think the input resolution can be found in the Picture menu of the settings.
post #105 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonhawk View Post

Oh, please...

Like you can tell from a tiny image of a cell phone shot what a TV looks like. rolleyes.gif

That's ridiculous. eek.gif

Some people around here are being anal to the point of absurdity. tongue.gif

I'm not aiming this comment at anyone in particular. But you know who you are... biggrin.gif

Gotta agree here. People need to keep in mind that crappy photos from a cel phone do not provide any accurate indication of how the image actually looks in the room. A photo can certainly show if there is extremely bad clouding or flashlighting, but to judge the quality of how an image is displayed on a particular screen based on a cel phone picture is crazy.

Do people not understand that every time you snap a shot with your cel phone (or any camera for that matter), the camera is making all kinds of automatic decisions about how long to expose the image and at what brightness, which can totally affect the image and cause it to look quite different from how you're actually seeing it?
post #106 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OugaBooga View Post

I see some clouding/bleeding going on in the text picture on both right & left sides.nothing really bad, might be the angle of the shot.
would like to see the same shot in a dark room thx.

Looking at these panels from off-center can cause the image to very quickly lose contrast, which can appear to start from the outer edges. I noticed it all the time last year on my old ES7500. You just can't judge a display based on on these kind of pictures.
post #107 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was just trying to suggest it's NOT the camera and in fact the tv since the top image looks fine and the bottom two clearly show some issues. I don't know if the OP has or doesn't have the proper settings activated but clearly after seeing those images I'm kind of thinking of snatching up a 950 again and wait for 4k/UHD to become more reasonable in price.

You can take 2 different pictures of virtually the same thing with just slight changes in where the camera is pointing or other factors. and the 2 images will come out differently.
post #108 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Just bought the tv from best buy, price matched. Amazon wouldn't price match it.

Super excited to get home tonight and start tinkering with it. I will be trying out settings people post up in here and tinker from there for personal preference. I do not plan on getting it professional calibrated. I moved up frmo the LN52A50 from 2009(LCD). Hopefully I will appreciate the new PQ as that is all I care about..not the apps.

Question: I am looking at getting one of those low profile mounts from monoprice. Will that be a problem for plugging in HDMI's do you guys think? I'm condsidering purchasing one of the redmere hdmi's to get a thinner HDMI cord though. I had my last tv mounted but it wasn't low profile...and it still was a PITA to plug things in..had to use an HDMI angle adapter.
post #109 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 01:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

You can take 2 different pictures of virtually the same thing with just slight changes in where the camera is pointing or other factors. and the 2 images will come out differently.

I hope you're right. I've seen pictures before of other sets taken with a cell phone camera and they look fine. I'm in no way trying to be negative on the F8000 but the pics don't look promising IMO. Let's just leave it at that and hopefully others will take more higher-res pics to prove me wrong.
post #110 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post

I'm not at home right now, so can't tell you the exact steps, but if I remember correctly, you can set it so that it doesn't go to Smart Hub upon startup. Try looking in the Smart Hub section of the settings. I think it's towards the bottom of the settings.

I think the input resolution can be found in the Picture menu of the settings.

Thanks for the reply! By the time I got it set up and got my kids to bed it was late and I didn't have enough to time explore all the options. I'll check there. I also ordered an ES8000 remote from Amazon to use as I find the Touch remote sort of cumbersome when scrolling through all the various setting menus. Take care.

~Bill
post #111 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Just bought the tv from best buy, price matched. Amazon wouldn't price match it.

Super excited to get home tonight and start tinkering with it. I will be trying out settings people post up in here and tinker from there for personal preference. I do not plan on getting it professional calibrated. I moved up frmo the LN52A50 from 2009(LCD). Hopefully I will appreciate the new PQ as that is all I care about..not the apps.

Question: I am looking at getting one of those low profile mounts from monoprice. Will that be a problem for plugging in HDMI's do you guys think? I'm condsidering purchasing one of the redmere hdmi's to get a thinner HDMI cord though. I had my last tv mounted but it wasn't low profile...and it still was a PITA to plug things in..had to use an HDMI angle adapter.

Who'd they price match with if you don't mind me asking?

~Bill
post #112 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Who'd they price match with if you don't mind me asking?

Greystone Appliance for $2329. Still had to pay tax(eh, in colorado I'm technically supposed to claim it on my taxes anyways).

ref this link: http://www.greystoneappliance.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-240Hz-3D-LED-HDTV-p/un55f8000.htm

I know they don't like certain threads to focus much on price so sorry if this steps on anyones toes. I see the initial color reccomendatios people are using for movie mode.

What mode are people watching regular tv shows in? My last tv I just left it in movie mode the whole time and my ole lady woud bitch about it being dark for shows. The only time I would change it would be putting it in "game mode" which made the colors become more blue/green and MUCH brighter.

Also, firmware. I have a feeling when I turn this badboy on tonight there will already be an update. I was able to roll back fw on my A850 as one of the older FW had the best image quality. Is it possible to rollback fw on these newer samsungs? If so...shouldn't one of use start a file library of all the FW's they release to let the user decide?
post #113 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

My F8000 is only 20 miles away but delivery isn't going to happen until tomorrow. Bummer

For the owners thread only I'll be posting the following as I get to them

1. Black and white levels and the effects on them selecting various menu options
1B. Settings for non calibrators

2. Flashlighting and screen uniformity (measured)
3. Motion
4. Calibration differences if any among Custom, Cal Day, & Cal Night. The latter two will be enabled in the service menu
5. 2D and 3D calibration reports
6. External 3D LUT calibration with LightSpace professional software and the eeColor Box as the LUT container/processor

This is one of the few TVs that has red whites from the factory. Usually they're very blue to make them look brighter on the BestBuy wall of glass.

I'll start out with the best news first - black levels are deeper than we've been lead to believe. It turns out that the backlight not only controls the top end but is heavy into the bottom as well. With Brightness properly set I got On/Off Contrast Black at .006 FtL. and ANSI .011 to .012.

For you non calibrators here's an initial setup that won't get you into trouble:

Turn everything off that has an Auto function except Color Space

Movie Mode
BL 10
Cont 94
Brite 45
Sharp 0
Color 50
G/R 50/50
Pic Size - screen fit
Pic Options
Color temp - Warm 2
Film Mode Auto 2 - haven't checked it yet
Auto Motion Plus > Custon > Blur = 10, Judder = 0, Clear = off

Adv
Color Space - Auto
10 point WB - Off
White Balance:
ro 26
go 26
bo 26
rg 16
gg 25
bg 31

Those few numbers lead to this (nice TV)

Naturally I couldn't stop there so I jumped into the Service Menu....

....and enabled Cal Day & Night

I'll be watching some content tonight with a fully calibrated Cal Night mode.

Enough for now....
AGUSTINFOREVER and Pickstv like this.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

post #114 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 03:47 PM

when i get home from work. going to change my source name from games to PC to get the 40ms
post #115 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Greystone Appliance for $2329. Still had to pay tax(eh, in colorado I'm technically supposed to claim it on my taxes anyways).

ref this link: http://www.greystoneappliance.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-240Hz-3D-LED-HDTV-p/un55f8000.htm

I know they don't like certain threads to focus much on price so sorry if this steps on anyones toes. I see the initial color reccomendatios people are using for movie mode.

What mode are people watching regular tv shows in? My last tv I just left it in movie mode the whole time and my ole lady woud bitch about it being dark for shows. The only time I would change it would be putting it in "game mode" which made the colors become more blue/green and MUCH brighter.

Also, firmware. I have a feeling when I turn this badboy on tonight there will already be an update. I was able to roll back fw on my A850 as one of the older FW had the best image quality. Is it possible to rollback fw on these newer samsungs? If so...shouldn't one of use start a file library of all the FW's they release to let the user decide?

i also had BB to price match graystone
post #116 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 03:50 PM

Quote:

This is one of the few TVs that has red whites from the factory. Usually they're very blue to make them look brighter on the BestBuy wall of glass.

I'll start out with the best news first - black levels are deeper than we've been lead to believe. It turns out that the backlight not only controls the top end but is heavy into the bottom as well. With Brightness properly set I got On/Off Contrast Black at .006 FtL. and ANSI .011 to .012.

For you non calibrators here's an initial setup that won't get you into trouble:

Turn everything off that has an Auto function except Color Space

Movie Mode
BL 10
Cont 94
Brite 45
Sharp 0
Color 50
G/R 50/50
Pic Size - screen fit
Pic Options
Color temp - Warm 2
Film Mode Auto 2 - haven't checked it yet
Auto Motion Plus > Custon > Blur = 10, Judder = 0, Clear = off

Adv
Color Space - Auto
10 point WB - Off
White Balance:
ro 26
go 26
bo 26
rg 16
gg 25
bg 31

Those few numbers lead to this (nice TV)

Naturally I couldn't stop there so I jumped into the Service Menu....

....and enabled Cal Day & Night

Enough for now....

i will try these setting when i get home.
post #117 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:

I don't know if the OP has or doesn't have the proper settings activated but clearly after seeing those images I'm kind of thinking of snatching up a 950 again and wait for 4k/UHD to become more reasonable in price.

The 950 is back in the running for me too. I'm thinking it might be wise to wait for the ZT60 too before pulling the trigger. Given some of the #s I'm seeing from the ST60, the ZT might be something to be reckoned with. But every time I see the 950, I'm very impressed. It just reminds me of the Elite.
post #118 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Buzz,,, Thanks for those settings,, U the Man.
post #119 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 552
Quote:

Enough for now....

Enough for now? Not! smile.gif

Buzz, your #s seem to be in the ballpark of those that I saw from Robert (as I recall). I think your ANSI #s were a bit lower, but close.

There's much confusion about what dimming controls are in play in the Movie mode. Did you get a feel for that? I'm assuming the black levels you measured are not those of the native panel...or are they? If so, I'd love to see the #s with Samsung's dimming mode turned on. I still don't know what they call that mode...take your pick of 3 or 4 possible names.

Thanks for the info thus far. I'd love to hear your subjective evaluations. I'm not sure if your familiar with the XBR950, but if so, any thoughts on how the calibrated F8000 compares?
post #120 of 7470 Old 03-26-2013, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

The 950 is back in the running for me too. I'm thinking it might be wise to wait for the ZT60 too before pulling the trigger. Given some of the #s I'm seeing from the ST60, the ZT might be something to be reckoned with. But every time I see the 950, I'm very impressed. It just reminds me of the Elite.

If I was to get another plasma, the 65ZT60 is definitely one I would be considering.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page