Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 67 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1981 of 7660 Old 07-20-2013, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
This is incredibly frustrating... I love everything about the f8000 except for the black level and input lag. unfortunately it's a deal breaker it seems and now I'll have to return it before it's too late. I guess I'll be getting the Sony. I guess this is good because for some reason I have a somewhat irrational loyalty to Samsung. Hopefully the Sony will hit the right notes with me. How will you resell your F8000 come later this year?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1982 of 7660 Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

This is incredibly frustrating... I love everything about the f8000 except for the black level and input lag. unfortunately it's a deal breaker it seems and now I'll have to return it before it's too late. I guess I'll be getting the Sony. I guess this is good because for some reason I have a somewhat irrational loyalty to Samsung. Hopefully the Sony will hit the right notes with me. How will you resell your F8000 come later this year?

The Samsung F7100 has a very good black level and 38-40ms input lag.

http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/samsung-f7100-review/the-science

http://www.displaylag.com/introducing-2013s-best-hdtvs-for-gaming-part-1/
post #1983 of 7660 Old 07-20-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Not sure if this is old news..."Asset UPnP (DLNA compatible) "... http://www.dbpoweramp.com/asset-upnp-dlna.htm

OLED Panels/ 4K Ultra HD TV... Redefining an Imperfect World

post #1984 of 7660 Old 07-20-2013, 03:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRN94 View Post

The F8000 is indeed a fine set, although i too find some aspects hard to accept...

- I've noticed some uniformity issues, yet i decided it was acceptable given the tech
- I've noticed the flashlighting especially at night, and decided this too was acceptable given the tech
- i've noticed some playback hickups, and managed to fix during specific movies by setting motion plus to "clear"; keeping it off whenever needed... This to i deemed acceptable given the tech.
- now i'm faced with vertical banding (5 bands, top to bottom across the entire screen with differing width), especially noticeable during grayish scenes, again due to the tech and size of 65".
I'm struggling to accept this one, and the only argument that makes me doubt is the fact that i will only notice this in some specific scenes.

Still its a damn shame that we need to "accept" or compromise across so many aspects when paying this amount of money.
post #1985 of 7660 Old 07-20-2013, 05:20 PM

I think Samsung should be able to do a panel replacement or something for you if you were to contact them about it, I mean my unit has no clouding issues that are very noticeable even on an all black screen with no dimming. There is a slight almost shiv head shape thing in the bottom left corner and there is a slight drop in brightness along the bezel but it's totally acceptable since it's mainly edge lit. What you have though, I think I would disagree. If you're outside of the exchange period with the retailer, I'd contact Samsung.

But pertaining to my concern with input lag. I set it to PC input and I used my Nvidia Control Panel to give extra dynamic contrast and also over saturated the colors just a bit and now, to my eyes, the PC mode is very close to the reference standard mode I was using but now I get the benefit of the PC mode's lower input lag but retain most the image quality of the Standard mode minus the Clear Motion. So I've decided to keep this over getting the Sony W900A.

I would recommend doing this to any PC gamer out there who wants the fastest input lag time this TV can offer without compromising too much on the picture quality this TV is capable of delivering. Very pleased with the TV having adjusted the settings not only on the TV but on the source (Nvidia Control Panel) as well.

FYI, if you ever want the benefits of clear motion for single player PC games, you can always check the box to use standard settings in the Nvidia Control Panel (which by the way has custom outputs for each individual display rather than a general setting for all monitors) and then switch off PC mode on the TV and you're back to the great picture quality and clear motion. Not too much of a hassle given the compromises of PC mode can be somewhat negated by adjusting Nvidia Control Panel's picture output.
post #1986 of 7660 Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to play camera raw files without converting it to jpg?
post #1987 of 7660 Old 07-21-2013, 07:41 AM

Liked: 10
Hello folks. I am new to the world of Samsung, having just taken delivery of a UN65f8000 on Friday. All seemed well (picture quality, functionality, etc.) until last night when I noticed a horizontal line of discolored pixels a little more than half-way up the screen.

I tried to find reference to this kind of problem online and thought I had discovered "banding", but all the references I have found to banding are for vertical lines.

If you look very closely, you can see that the band appears to just be the right colors, but slightly washed out.

Unfortunately, I bought the set from an online seller -- had it been from Best Buy I would have packed it up and brought it right back.

Samsung said a local technician would get in touch with me shortly, but the retailer (East Coast TV) has a 5 business day return policy and I could easily see it taking longer than that to get a resolution from Samsung.

Any advice for a (relative) newbie? I seem to spend a lot of time on this site for brief bursts every time I get something new, so I am a little out of the loop.

Thanks!

A noble spirit embiggens even the smallest man. -- Jebediah Springfield
post #1988 of 7660 Old 07-21-2013, 08:45 AM

First off, NEVER buy from an unauthorized dealer. Any store with a lower price than Best Buy and Amazon are NOT authorized dealers. Technically, Samsung can deny your warranty if it's bought from an unauthorized dealer. The only benefit from an unauthorized dealer is getting an authorized dealer like Best Buy or TigerDirect to price match if you nag them and threaten to take your business else where enough because even then price match policies only price match with other authorized competitors which will almost always have the industry MSRP for the TV. Which kinda makes the price match a very good marketing gimmick. But still, ALWAYS buy from authorized dealers.
I am near TigerDirect's store front in Naperville IL, and I got it from them and got 100 bucks taken off a 3 year extended warranty. My first UN55F8000 had pixel blemishes, basically tiny air pockets in the panel. Brought it back the next day, manager lifted the Styrofoam to make sure the TV was in the box, helped me load another one off the shelf into my car and that was that, didn't even scan my receipt or anything just looked at it and matched the model number on the box. He even apologized and joked around and said "I told you, you shoulda gotten the Sony." He even gave me his phone number to text him if anything was wrong with this second TV.

Got home and the second TV was pristine and keep in mind, after that point I still had 29 more days on my return/exchange period. So even if this one messed up I could go back. and because TigerDirect is a store/warehouse, they had TEN of the UN55F8000 in stock, where as Best Buy would only have one in stock and they would have to order another one and that eats into your return/exchange period. Always make sure there is at least 3 extra units besides the one you're picking up in the event an exchange needs to be made.

I could have gone online and gotten the TV for 500 bucks less, YES. But you are taking a HUGE gamble because of issues like the one you're experiencing. I always recommend spending the extra few hundred bucks just for the peace of mind that you can easily exchange it within a months time AND Samsung will 100% honor their 1 year warranty. And if THAT wasn't enough to convince you to go with an authorized dealer, you get face to face customer support and RESPECT with store fronts if gosh forbid an issue comes up.

I really hope Samsung takes care or you, but from my experience, what customers say, and what salesmen say ALWAYS go with authorized store fronts whenever possible. Online retailers are a huge pain in the arse to do exchanges/returns with.
post #1989 of 7660 Old 07-21-2013, 10:53 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico-Jones View Post

Hello folks. I am new to the world of Samsung, having just taken delivery of a UN65f8000 on Friday. All seemed well (picture quality, functionality, etc.) until last night when I noticed a horizontal line of discolored pixels a little more than half-way up the screen.

I tried to find reference to this kind of problem online and thought I had discovered "banding", but all the references I have found to banding are for vertical lines.

If you look very closely, you can see that the band appears to just be the right colors, but slightly washed out.

Unfortunately, I bought the set from an online seller -- had it been from Best Buy I would have packed it up and brought it right back.

Samsung said a local technician would get in touch with me shortly, but the retailer (East Coast TV) has a 5 business day return policy and I could easily see it taking longer than that to get a resolution from Samsung.

Any advice for a (relative) newbie? I seem to spend a lot of time on this site for brief bursts every time I get something new, so I am a little out of the loop.

Thanks!

Five days isn't up yet. Call East Coast and tell them you want a replacement or a refund. Your problem sounds like a defect... banding is usually a wide band of pixels, not a single row.

In the meantime, unplug the TV for a few minutes, then plug it back in to see if that resolves the problem. Also, re-seat the HDMI cable from your box to the TV. When I first got my set five years ago, there were a few times I got a broad random grid of lines a few times, but it went away and never came back. If that fixes it, watch it quite a bit and turn it off and on several times today and this evening and tomorrow morning to see if it is really resolved.
post #1990 of 7660 Old 07-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Hey guys! I just bought a new UN55F8000BFXZA the other day. I actually bought the UN55F7100AFXZA first, but was having an issue with the TV turning off an hour into watching anything, whether it's through Netflix (through the tv app), through my ps3, xbox, or just regular cable. It just shuts down and turns right back on. Like it reboots. I thought this was just an error with the 7100 series, but I'm having this error now with the 8000 series. It's really frustrating to say the least. It seems like it's an hour on the dot too. I'm going to be calling Samsung support tomorrow, but thought I'd post here and see if anyone knows anything further about this issue. i have the latest firmware updates and all that jazz. It almost seems like an overheating issue, but it's well ventilated and seems a little "warm", but not "hot". If anyone has any ideas or anything I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!
post #1991 of 7660 Old 07-21-2013, 01:49 PM

Interesting. Now that you mention heat, the bottom left and right part of the bezel get's VERY hot for me. I mean so hot that if you keep touching it for 2 seconds or more it starts to feel like it's burning me. Never had an issue with the TV turning itself off but I'm not kind of concerned with the longevity of the TV if it's not supposed to be this hot. I may contact Samsung to see if this is normal.
post #1992 of 7660 Old 07-21-2013, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
One thing I'm really not happy with is the free to air viewing. It is simply horrible. I turned of all the filters and that didn't change a thing. Watching the footy yesterday provided almost unwatchable results, as the ball wold be almost invisible when being kicked and all channels seemed generally blurry. I remember on my plasma 58" that the full HD channels actually looked good sometimes, but not on this set. Has anyone else had any better luck?
post #1993 of 7660 Old 07-21-2013, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoxxxkid View Post

Hey guys! I just bought a new UN55F8000BFXZA the other day. I actually bought the UN55F7100AFXZA first, but was having an issue with the TV turning off an hour into watching anything, whether it's through Netflix (through the tv app), through my ps3, xbox, or just regular cable. It just shuts down and turns right back on. Like it reboots. I thought this was just an error with the 7100 series, but I'm having this error now with the 8000 series. It's really frustrating to say the least. It seems like it's an hour on the dot too. I'm going to be calling Samsung support tomorrow, but thought I'd post here and see if anyone knows anything further about this issue. i have the latest firmware updates and all that jazz. It almost seems like an overheating issue, but it's well ventilated and seems a little "warm", but not "hot". If anyone has any ideas or anything I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks!

I have a F7100 and this issue has been discussed in the UNXXF7100 forum in detail beginning with this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1470900/official-samsung-unxxf7100-owners-thread/510#post_23405548

It could be a firmware issue....
post #1994 of 7660 Old 07-22-2013, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I'm experiencing a problem with a European UE55F8000 turning itself off and and on again.

The problem occurs when watching letterbox films while Cinema Black is enabled and Motion Plus is set to 'custom' with LED Clear Motion turned on.

Every 10 or 15 minutes, the TV reboots, but is fine by either disabling Cinema Black or switching Motion Plus to 'off' or 'clear'.

Is anyone else aware of this specific strangeness? Also, I'm still seeing very slight brightness fluctuations when Cinema Black is set to Medium, although I thought this problem had been sorted with a software update? (I'm on 1103.5)

Thanks,

Desk
post #1995 of 7660 Old 07-22-2013, 09:11 AM

Liked: 20
Samsung ships $15K curved OLED TV to U.S. this week...
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57594817-221/samsung-ships-$15k-curved-oled-tv-to-u.s-this-week/

OLED Panels/ 4K Ultra HD TV... Redefining an Imperfect World

post #1996 of 7660 Old 07-22-2013, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desk. View Post

I'm experiencing a problem with a European UE55F8000 turning itself off and and on again.

The problem occurs when watching letterbox films while Cinema Black is enabled and Motion Plus is set to 'custom' with LED Clear Motion turned on.

Every 10 or 15 minutes, the TV reboots, but is fine by either disabling Cinema Black or switching Motion Plus to 'off' or 'clear'.

Is anyone else aware of this specific strangeness? Also, I'm still seeing very slight brightness fluctuations when Cinema Black is set to Medium, although I thought this problem had been sorted with a software update? (I'm on 1103.5)

Thanks,

Desk
This also happens with the f7100. I just turned cinema black on low and it never returned.
post #1997 of 7660 Old 07-22-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by digimat View Post

Turn automotion to clear or off

Thank you digimat and eagle. Turning Auto Motion to off worked perfectly.

markt
post #1998 of 7660 Old 07-22-2013, 01:20 PM

A little update..... Just called Samsung, talked to a rep that just told me that Firmware would never have anything to do with the TV turning off and turning right back on. She also told me that I should never plug a TV into a surge protector, mind you I live in Florida aka lightning capital. I've lost faith in Samsung support today. Anyways, what the tech told me to do was to unplug the tv for 5 minutes to refresh itself, then to plug it directly into the wall and not through the surge protector. I'm trying this now, but am 100% confident that this WON'T resolve the issue. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go buy the new Sony 4k TV.
post #1999 of 7660 Old 07-22-2013, 02:38 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by emoxxxkid View Post

A little update..... Just called Samsung, talked to a rep that just told me that Firmware would never have anything to do with the TV turning off and turning right back on. She also told me that I should never plug a TV into a surge protector, mind you I live in Florida aka lightning capital. I've lost faith in Samsung support today. Anyways, what the tech told me to do was to unplug the tv for 5 minutes to refresh itself, then to plug it directly into the wall and not through the surge protector. I'm trying this now, but am 100% confident that this WON'T resolve the issue. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and go buy the new Sony 4k TV.

Have you tried a different brand surge protector? I'm not a electrician but...if both tv's did this and you are the first with an f800 of this problem...maybe its a house electrical problem not the tv?
post #2000 of 7660 Old 07-22-2013, 02:45 PM

Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondarenee8 View Post

I just got a Samsung un65f8000 tv as an open box item from Crutchfield. I put in the settings for day that were posted by Buzz. I've also tried other recommended settings. In all cases, I've got this white area with a straight vertical edge on the left of it in the middle of the screen when there is a dark scene. It's worse when viewed from an angle, but it is pretty noticeable even dead center. I'm attempting to attach a picture of it. Is this normal? If not, is there anything that I can do to fix this or do I need to return this tv?

The set also leans back about an inch. That is very noticeable in our entertainment center. We've propped up the back, but that didn't fix it entirely, and I'm worried that it will be less stable because of that.

I also just read on their site that Crutchfield charges $125-$175 to return a large tv set. I'm hoping and praying that that won't be the case if the set is defective.

Any guidance on this is greatly appreciated.

Rhonda

That is not normal. I've gone through a couple tv's and have never had that. I would return it.
post #2001 of 7660 Old 07-22-2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

Have you tried a different brand surge protector? I'm not a electrician but...if both tv's did this and you are the first with an f800 of this problem...maybe its a house electrical problem not the tv?

I've tried 3 different brand surge protectors and just got done testing it plugged into the wall and it's still doing this same thing. I've tried every other tv I've had with this outlet with no problems. I even have a ps3, xbox, wii, and onkyo high powered 7.1 surround receiver on it and no electrical issues at all. I talked with Samsung again and they're sending out a service tech. The service tech called me and thought maybe it had something to do with running wi-fi on it, but didn't freeze up with the tests he had me run through. He said he's going to replace the main board and the power supply on the TV so we'll see what happens after that I guess.
post #2002 of 7660 Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondarenee8 View Post

I just got a Samsung un65f8000 tv as an open box item from Crutchfield. I put in the settings for day that were posted by Buzz. I've also tried other recommended settings. In all cases, I've got this white area with a straight vertical edge on the left of it in the middle of the screen when there is a dark scene. It's worse when viewed from an angle, but it is pretty noticeable even dead center. I'm attempting to attach a picture of it. Is this normal? If not, is there anything that I can do to fix this or do I need to return this tv?

The set also leans back about an inch. That is very noticeable in our entertainment center. We've propped up the back, but that didn't fix it entirely, and I'm worried that it will be less stable because of that.

I also just read on their site that Crutchfield charges $125-$175 to return a large tv set. I'm hoping and praying that that won't be the case if the set is defective.

Any guidance on this is greatly appreciated.

Rhonda

The tv is defective. (Maybe why it was an open box, as in returned)
Sounds like the stand is defective too. (two items you've got that are defective. If it wasn't for bad luck, you'd have no luck at all)
Crutchfield only charges when you choose not to keep a tv. If it's defective and it's going to be replaced, they pay the shipping, both ways.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #2003 of 7660 Old 07-23-2013, 06:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
There's a new update that was released this morning for the f8000. I'm downloading it now.
Does anyone know if this update fixes anything?

XBOX: xxx GR1MM xxx
PS3: GR1MM
post #2004 of 7660 Old 07-23-2013, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Hi Guy`s ,

A new up-date , again ! O__well I will have to check it out , some are good some are nasty , so please post ( if you can ) what the up-date does , thanks ! biggrin.gif

Hey RW , Samsung is not the only one , it appears LG is doing the same in a big way with an exclusive BB offering , more info here:

http://www.twice.com/articletype/news/lg-launches-curved-55-inch-oled-tv-through-best-buy/107758

Same price as the Samsung , but without the crazy stand and THX certification ! , Not sure how these are going to work out but 15 Large is too much for a tv , in my book.

Of course the price will come down , would not fit anyway , it would sure be tugging at my bank account if they were making a 46" size eek.gif . LOL

So if anyone does know what that upgrade for the F8000 is , please post !

Later biggrin.gif

Gary 
RadioWonder likes this.
post #2005 of 7660 Old 07-23-2013, 09:35 AM

After finally getting used to touch remote that came with the set, the one I ordered finally came in last night. It seems like to me they had a ton of leftover remotes and just wanted to package them out to people by request.
Anyhoo...

I haven't really messed with it much, but it seems ok. The "light" button on the remote didn't light anything up, but the vol +/- worked. That's all I really tested and then I went to bed...

5-7 day shipping (per the samsung site) took 2.5 weeks just as an FYI guideline for those that are waiting...

Advent H400
Advent Center
Advent H100
Onkyo 504s

Sony Wega III 50" RPLCD KF-50WE610
Yamakawa DVD
Verizon fIOS Motorolla DVr
PS2
Wii
post #2006 of 7660 Old 07-23-2013, 09:38 AM

anyone have any tips/photos for guides/ideas to go with mounting this tv? I'd like to make the mounting as nice and neat as possible. I plan on ditching my STB, so I will have an Xbox, receiver, and an HDMI/optical audio cable from my PC to the receiver.

Advent H400
Advent Center
Advent H100
Onkyo 504s

Sony Wega III 50" RPLCD KF-50WE610
Yamakawa DVD
Verizon fIOS Motorolla DVr
PS2
Wii
post #2007 of 7660 Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by doppleganger View Post

After finally getting used to touch remote that came with the set, the one I ordered finally came in last night. It seems like to me they had a ton of leftover remotes and just wanted to package them out to people by request.
Anyhoo...

I haven't really messed with it much, but it seems ok. The "light" button on the remote didn't light anything up, but the vol +/- worked. That's all I really tested and then I went to bed...

5-7 day shipping (per the samsung site) took 2.5 weeks just as an FYI guideline for those that are waiting...

The light will illuminate more than just the volume buttons, but you have to be in the dark to see that.
doppleganger likes this.
post #2008 of 7660 Old 07-23-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixone View Post

Upgrade File(USB type) (Firmware) (ver.1105.2)

1.This firmware is for TV Model(s): LED F7450/F7500/F7550/F8000
2.The version is 1105.2
3.This firmware update will improve the following:

- Solves Network Connection issue with Wireless router.

- Solves Brightness Popping issue.

- Improves picture quality.

- Supports more MSO in OnTV feature.

- Enhances Voice Recognition feature

At some point they need to fix the Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) connection so it's actually useful. Has anyone been able to consistently get ARC to work with their reciever? If I fight with my TV and receiver I can eventually get it to work, but it's inconsistent.....or it consistently stops working after I turn my system off. I've given up on ARC and now use the optical out for sound from to the tv to the reciever.
post #2009 of 7660 Old 07-23-2013, 02:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioWonder View Post

Samsung ships $15K curved OLED TV to U.S. this week...
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57594817-221/samsung-ships-$15k-curved-oled-tv-to-u.s-this-week/

This TV is a joke. Curved TV? Curved would be great for a computer monitor but not living room or theater set. Only one person can enjoy the damn thing.
That sucks about everyone having uniformity issues such as clouding and flashlighting. Micro Dimming doesn't help that? I don't own this set but was interested until I read through the last few pages of this thread. Cnet stated that Micro Dimming needs to be on it's maximum setting to achieve near perfect screen uniformity. Was that just an overstatement on their part?
post #2010 of 7660 Old 07-23-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1MM View Post

There's a new update that was released this morning for the f8000. I'm downloading it now.
Does anyone know if this update fixes anything?

Just finished a on line chat and a 1-800 call to samsung. NEITHER rep knew anything about the new update (1108). WHAT A JOKE!!!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page