Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - Page 76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2251 of 7420 Old 08-09-2013, 07:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry to post this again. Looking for some feedback.

I just set up my 65F8000 and although it looks much better than my old 6500 series, I do see white bleeding/flashlighting along all the edges and corners and inwards for about 10 inches everywhere. It's faint but surely there. The middle is pitch black. Is this normal is are all your f8000s completely pitch black (equally) everywhere. My other concern may be the panel number. I have attached my sticker below - July 2013 Build with TD02 panel. It seems no one else has this panel and the preferred one appears to be TS01? Does anyone know what the TD02 Panel is? Also, I noticed that my Model number ends with "AF" and not "BF" - what does that signify?
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

[/quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2252 of 7420 Old 08-10-2013, 06:39 AM

Liked: 12
I took delivery of my UN75F8000AFXZA yesterday.

I updated the firmware and started taking the TV through its paces

I have noticed a potentially significant flaw. While watching 1080p content on both Cable and Bluray through both the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 ports there is slight stuttering as the pictures switches scenes.

I switched between a few different modes and it did not help.

The stuttering did NOT occur while watching Netflix content or low resolution content.

Has anyone had this issue?

I will play around with it some more today and post results.
post #2253 of 7420 Old 08-10-2013, 01:23 PM

Liked: 36
Well this is disappointing:

I've never seen that in any other film or game content before. Smart LED is on, too. Maybe this TV just dislikes brightly colored games.
post #2254 of 7420 Old 08-10-2013, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I don't know if it's this particular game the TV is having trouble with or if something is now borked.

AGuy, Is this happening on other content like OTA??? It does look terrible.

This update was crap: It un-synced all my devices and the TV keeps telling me that my server is not responding. Now I'm having trouble connecting to the net. After I re synced everything the TV just stays in black screen for literally 2-3 minutes while the receiver plays. The receiver is not connecting properly to HDMI now. Also the damn set turned off on its own twice now. It's the first time it has ever turned off by itself and everything was working perfectly before the update. Just now while watching NetFlix it seemed like the signal kept cutting in and out. I'm watching a film and the volume would drop out for a second and picture would skip. It happened through the whole movie and again I've never had any of this. Methinks it might have something to do with the receiver + horrible update. confused.gif
post #2255 of 7420 Old 08-10-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

AGuy, Is this happening on other content like OTA??? It does look terrible.

This update was crap: It un-synced all my devices and the TV keeps telling me that my server is not responding. Now I'm having trouble connecting to the net. After I re synced everything the TV just stays in black screen for literally 2-3 minutes while the receiver plays. The receiver is not connecting properly to HDMI now. Also the damn set turned off on its own twice now. It's the first time it has ever turned off by itself and everything was working perfectly before the update. Just now while watching NetFlix it seemed like the signal kept cutting in and out. I'm watching a film and the volume would drop out for a second and picture would skip. It happened through the whole movie and again I've never had any of this. Methinks it might have something to do with the receiver + horrible update. confused.gif

I put in The Last of Us, a generally dark game, and it still looks fine. But the game in the above screenshots, Tales of Xillia, just looks awful. It's generally more colorful than The Last of Us, though, so I suppose it has to push out more light. But it's only occurring on that lower strip of the screen. The rest? No issues.
post #2256 of 7420 Old 08-10-2013, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
The input lag was bad enough, but this just really makes me want to ditch it in some unused room and try to forget I spent so much money on it. I am really bummed out.

You can still get your money back from Samsung.
Quote:
And then I see someone in the W900A thread go, "I spent 100 hours with the F8000, returned it and bought this and now I'm so happy! The colors and uniformity are so much better!" and I get even more depressed.

This may very well be, but, I follow the Sony thread closely and if you look at some of the pictures you can see problems. One user stated he had no banding then posted a picture for a different issue and you can clearly see vertical banding in the picture (albeit the pic was taken from an extreme angle). There is a youtube video on the thread with bad vertical banding and other pictures with what looks like horizontal banding that nobody brought up. Maybe Samsung users are picky? Then again, I haven't seen pics on the Sony thread like some of the horror stories posted here re flashlighting/clouding. There are a few really bad ones, and admittedly, had I kept reading the thread before I bought my set I probably wouldn't have. After the crap I've been through since November this TV is a dream to me. Not perfect, but it did meet my expectations.

Are you sure that's not mood lighting? Are you on the Talys highroad?
post #2257 of 7420 Old 08-10-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

You can still get your money back from Samsung.
This may very well be, but, I follow the Sony thread closely and if you look at some of the pictures you can see problems. One user stated he had no banding then posted a picture for a different issue and you can clearly see vertical banding in the picture (albeit the pic was taken from an extreme angle). There is a youtube video on the thread with bad vertical banding and other pictures with what looks like horizontal banding that nobody brought up. Maybe Samsung users are picky? Then again, I haven't seen pics on the Sony thread like some of the horror stories posted here re flashlighting/clouding. There are a few really bad ones, and admittedly, had I kept reading the thread before I bought my set I probably wouldn't have. After the crap I've been through since November this TV is a dream to me. Not perfect, but it did meet my expectations.

Are you sure that's not mood lighting? Are you on the Talys highroad?

I had some very obvious vertical banding on the Sony HX850 I returned. Maybe there is no perfect TV out there.

Regardless, I think you might be right about mood lighting! I looked up what you had mentioned and it turns out other people thought their TV may have been at fault, too, when in fact it's the game. The video I found of the Talys Highroad explicitly shows that effect. It looks just like flashlighting. What the heck, Namco? I'm relieved now that I can direct my frustration at the game instead of the TV.
post #2258 of 7420 Old 08-10-2013, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1MM View Post

I just tried it on my iPad, and there's no videos, so there's definitely no videos in the smart hub.

Thanks for checking and confirming my findings. smile.gif

Later ,

G. 
post #2259 of 7420 Old 08-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Liked: 31
Guys, did I read correctly that all content streamed via Smart Hub is 480p? The reason I ask is, on the Samsung official Smart Hub webpage, they claim they can stream in "HD" (make the claim for the Cineplex app). I'm confused.
post #2260 of 7420 Old 08-10-2013, 03:13 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjvnyc View Post

Guys, did I read correctly that all content streamed via Smart Hub is 480p? The reason I ask is, on the Samsung official Smart Hub webpage, they claim they can stream in "HD" (make the claim for the Cineplex app). I'm confused.

Smart hub is 720p info is right at top of documentation under general specs.
Netflix/Vudu/Amazon/Youtube etc, can theoretically do 1080p depends on internet connection speed.
http://www.samsungdforum.com/Devtools/Spec
post #2261 of 7420 Old 08-10-2013, 08:10 PM

Liked: 12
Spent about 4 hours resetting to factory defaults and then adjusting various setting and no luck

From motion control to game mode, etc, I still have stuttering - I will try my luck with Samsung support, but given the posts here I am not holding out a lot of hope

I will update if anything changes
post #2262 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 01:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I'm facing a difficult decision this weekend. This is about the last weekend we still have the option of buying a squaretrade warranty directly from squaretrade for this set. I wanted to buy it from Costco last moth but money is extremely tight right now. So the Costco option expired. Squaretrade offered an extension on buying the plan, but they said 3 months is the longest they will allow you to wait to purchase the plan.

But we really can't afford this. It will hurt if we do this. But I'm extremely concerned about not having any protection on this set. I tend to avoid these plans, but with a Samsung tv, I don't feel comfortable with no safety net. The hell I went through last year with my ES7500 was a nightmare, and if it wasn't under warranty still we would have been screwed and never would have gotten the F8000 as a replacement. I just got something in the mail last week from Samsung, thinking I still had the ES7500, and they wanted to sell me a 3-year extension on the warranty for over $350! Insane! The squaretrade is around $120.

In the end it's our decision of course but I'm curious how many of you trust this set with no warranty. We could never afford to repair this set. If something goes wrong - a blown capacitor, a line on the panel, anything - the tv goes in the garbage I guess because we couldn't spend upwards of $1,000 for repairs. Keep in mind Samsung was sued and lost a few years ago for willingly using defective capacitors in some of their LCD sets. Do you guys feel safe that this set will make it past 4 years? After that it wouldn't matter since the warranty would be over by then anyways, but for the first 4 years, at least I wouldn't have the anxiety of knowing if something went wrong we would have no tv and no money for a new one anytime soon.

How many here have some kind of coverage?
post #2263 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 02:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidz View Post

I'd like to expand on that, which settings do people use that don't make viewers think they are using fogged up glasses while in "movie" mode smile.gif

I posted my settings earlier - they're based on Buzzard's settings, and they look spectacular! Way, way better than my ES7500 looked last year. I was never happy with the color last year. I was always fiddling with it trying to make the color better. This set with Buzzard's settings and my tweaks looks phenomenal. I haven't touched the color settings in like 2 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi29 View Post

Hi Eagle ,

I did find the 3D stuff on YouTube , but a weird thing is happening , I have the YouTube app on my F8000 , works fine, stuff I subscribe to on my computer syncs with the YouTube app on my F8000.

So , after you had mentioned about YT 3D , I went to YT and subscribed to the YT 3D , and it is within the F8000 app , but when I go to that section of the YT app with my F8000 , if says there are no videos.

I have no idea what is going on , do you ?

Thanks for any help you can be.

Later smile.gif

Gary 

No idea on that one. I never went to Youtube with the tv directly. I always just download the Youtube videos and then play them in my media player. Beats the hell out of trying to stream from Youtube, which is always frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GR1MM View Post

Does anyone know what this update did?

I'm not even sure Samsung knows what their updates do. I'm pretty sure they don't. wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by morbidz View Post

register your TV online and Samsung will send you the "dumb" remote for free

Dumb it is. It doesn't even have a 3D button. eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeazeTM View Post

Here's my dialog with Samsung CNET tech concerning the rainbow effect, follow this link:

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-598822/un55f8000-rainbow-from-glare-question/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

They say its normal.

Thanks for the link. According to them, "Yes, the photo you showed me looked like you had an overhead light shining directly onto it, and the bezel reflected some light and the anti-glare dispersed the light into a rainbow.". I guess it's normal and a by-product of the coating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis. S View Post

I took delivery of my UN75F8000AFXZA yesterday.

I updated the firmware and started taking the TV through its paces

I have noticed a potentially significant flaw. While watching 1080p content on both Cable and Bluray through both the HDMI 1 and HDMI 2 ports there is slight stuttering as the pictures switches scenes.

I switched between a few different modes and it did not help.

The stuttering did NOT occur while watching Netflix content or low resolution content.

Has anyone had this issue?

I will play around with it some more today and post results.

If you were watching cable or satellite, yeah, stuttering can be an issue. Mine was doing that badly and I discovered finally I had to unplug the FiOS box and plug it back in - for whatever reason that was causing tons of bad stutter with my set. I still see it happens sometimes, and with Auto Motion Plus activated on the tv, the stutter is very bad. It's been discussed quite a bit and it's been happening for years with Samsung sets. I have seen that stutter 3 years in a row with their sets. If it was happening with blu-ray too, then I'll bet it was your auto motion plus. That tends to cause stutter unless it's either turned off completely or set to "clear". Any other setting tends to cause stutter, which can range from mild to severe.
post #2264 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico-Jones View Post

Hello folks. I am new to the world of Samsung, having just taken delivery of a UN65f8000 on Friday. All seemed well (picture quality, functionality, etc.) until last night when I noticed a horizontal line of discolored pixels a little more than half-way up the screen.

I tried to find reference to this kind of problem online and thought I had discovered "banding", but all the references I have found to banding are for vertical lines.

If you look very closely, you can see that the band appears to just be the right colors, but slightly washed out.

Unfortunately, I bought the set from an online seller -- had it been from Best Buy I would have packed it up and brought it right back.

Samsung said a local technician would get in touch with me shortly, but the retailer (East Coast TV) has a 5 business day return policy and I could easily see it taking longer than that to get a resolution from Samsung.

Any advice for a (relative) newbie? I seem to spend a lot of time on this site for brief bursts every time I get something new, so I am a little out of the loop.

Thanks!

In case anyone was curious, Samsung serviced my tv (replaced the screen) with no hesitation or concern that it was purchased from an unauthorized retailer. in fact, at no point in the process did they actually ask me where I purchased it.

A noble spirit embiggens even the smallest man. -- Jebediah Springfield
post #2265 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 12:09 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ico-Jones View Post

In case anyone was curious, Samsung serviced my tv (replaced the screen) with no hesitation or concern that it was purchased from an unauthorized retailer. in fact, at no point in the process did they actually ask me where I purchased it.
I was curious, because I replied that I thought it was defective. How's the new screen?
post #2266 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey eagle if you don't mind can you please show me the link to your setting? I'm still trying to get mines perfect. I was watching daddy Yankee limbo video on youtube and there's this scene with a black background and him in the middle and I keep seeing this strong blue tint. It has nothing to do with clouding or flashlighting it seems to be the color.
post #2267 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansingh7326 View Post

Hey eagle if you don't mind can you please show me the link to your setting? I'm still trying to get mines perfect. I was watching daddy Yankee limbo video on youtube and there's this scene with a black background and him in the middle and I keep seeing this strong blue tint. It has nothing to do with clouding or flashlighting it seems to be the color.

Here are my 2D settings, based on Buzzard's settings, with a few tweaks:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/1740#post_23487479

And here are my 3D settings:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/1740#post_23490898
post #2268 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Sorry if this is posted somewhere in the previous 75 pages...

Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative stand (VESA mounted)? I'm considering the 46" version, and it would sit on a 24" wide equipment rack in my living room.

Worst case scenario, I could drill some holes in the top of my stand, and secure the back U-shaped base down via some zip-ties. But I would prefer an alternate stand.
post #2269 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 04:47 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaleita View Post

I took delivery of my UN65F8000BF on July 3, 2013. I chose this model in large part because of my past experience with Samsung 3D LED/LCD models, the F8000 promises for an even better 3D experience than in previous models, and the 3D performance I saw in a store demo. So the first thing I did when I got it home was to check out 3D from various sources (a 3D Blu-Ray, a Vudu 3D HDX movie, and the built-in 2D-3D conversion). Unfortunately my family and I noticed a problem right away: when in 3D mode, the image through the left eye is significantly darker than the image through the right eye. The 3D itself looks great- except for the very distracting dimmer image through the left eye than the right.

The set came with 4 pair of "F" (2013) series 3D bluetooth glasses, and the problem ocurrs with all 4 pairs. I also have an older "D" series 40" Smart TV from 2011, and those bluetooth glasses happily work with my new F8000 TV also; I tried all six pairs of the D series glasses and they all exhibit the left eye darkening issue when used with the F8000. As a final test, I tried all ten pairs of glasses with my 2011 set, and they all worked perfectly- with absolutely no detectable difference in brightness between left and right eyes. So clearly the problem is with my new TV, and not the glasses.

Is anybody else seeing this problem?

I called Paul's TV (my dealer) and Samsung service, and they are all telling me they have never heard of a problem like this before. Worse yet, they are telling me that there is no known service procedure that is designed to address this type of problem at this point. Holy cow! Not sure what my next step should be here. I'm already past Paul's 10 day return period.

I really love the 2D performance of this set, but I have been a 3D hobbyist and stereographer for 40+ years, and 3D quality is what I was going for when I selected this set.

Update: My dealer agreed to replace my set even though it was past their normal 30 day return window. I received the replacement yesterday. Thankfully, the problem is 90% better- definitely at an acceptable level to me. But strangely, I can still detect a definite difference in color balance between the left eye and the right eye when viewing in 3D. My wife sees the same thing. And to make sure it wasn't our eyes, we verified the problem by closing one eye and moving the glasses back and forth to alternately look through each of the two lenses in the glasses. Yes, the effect is subtle, but colors definitely look more rich and saturated through the left lens of the glasses than through the right lens. This effect is NOT visible when using those same glasses to view 3D on our older (UN40D6000 series) set.

Those of you who are watching 3D on your new F8000 series sets: can you please look carefully and report back whether you can see a difference in color or brightness between the left and right eye images?
post #2270 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaleita View Post

Update: My dealer agreed to replace my set even though it was past their normal 30 day return window. I received the replacement yesterday. Thankfully, the problem is 90% better- definitely at an acceptable level to me. But strangely, I can still detect a definite difference in color balance between the left eye and the right eye when viewing in 3D. My wife sees the same thing. And to make sure it wasn't our eyes, we verified the problem by closing one eye and moving the glasses back and forth to alternately look through each of the two lenses in the glasses. Yes, the effect is subtle, but colors definitely look more rich and saturated through the left lens of the glasses than through the right lens. This effect is NOT visible when using those same glasses to view 3D on our older (UN40D6000 series) set.

Those of you who are watching 3D on your new F8000 series sets: can you please look carefully and report back whether you can see a difference in color or brightness between the left and right eye images?

I'll check and report back. I tend to use my glasses that came with my D-series set back when I had it though because those glasses are far better than the flimsy ones from last year and this year., so my color adjustments are intended to offset the color tinting of those lenses. I imagine the tinting may vary between glasses. It's either the tv that's causing that color difference between the left/right images, or it's the glasses that vary a bit between the 2 lenses. Does the difference happen with every pair of glasses? Is it always the same lens (left/right) that has one a particular shade stronger than the other? Is it on every source (blu-ray playback, tv or video files)?
post #2271 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 06:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam S View Post

Sorry if this is posted somewhere in the previous 75 pages...

Does anyone have a recommendation for an alternative stand (VESA mounted)? I'm considering the 46" version, and it would sit on a 24" wide equipment rack in my living room.

Worst case scenario, I could drill some holes in the top of my stand, and secure the back U-shaped base down via some zip-ties. But I would prefer an alternate stand.

I didn't have room for the arc stand on my book shelf, so I made my own stand. Photos attached.

Maybe one of these options will work for you?

1. Intead of drilling holes in the tv stand, use a large C-Clamp at the rear of the arc to the edge of your shelf.
2. Make your own tv stand. Bolt a plank to the mounting holes in the back of the tv, bolt a large metal L-Bracket to the bottom of the plank and use the C-Clamp to hold the end of the L-Bracket to the edge of the shelf or screw a board with a space under it, the same size as the L-Bracket, to slide the L-Bracket under.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #2272 of 7420 Old 08-11-2013, 06:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

I didn't have room for the arc stand on my book shelf, so I made my own stand. Photos attached.

Maybe one of these options will work for you?

1. Intead of drilling holes in the tv stand, use a large C-Clamp at the rear of the arc to the edge of your shelf.
2. Make your own tv stand. Bolt a plank to the mounting holes in the back of the tv, bolt a large metal L-Bracket to the bottom of the plank and use the C-Clamp to hold the end of the L-Bracket to the edge of the shelf or screw a board with a space under it, the same size as the L-Bracket, to slide the L-Bracket under.

Great work, and thanks for the pictures!

Definitely something for me to think about...
post #2273 of 7420 Old 08-12-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

This is a new article about companies tracking returns. They mention Best Buy - this is exactly what I got caught up in last year, and why I ended up getting stuck with a defective ES7500 - too many returns and they banned me for 90 days from making returns, immediately after I exchanged my previous faulty tv for the ES7500, which counted as a return, plus the returned extended warranty counted as a separate return, 2 in a row.. Everyone should be aware that Best Buy, like a few other companies, are definitely tracking all returns. Their tracking is done by a company called "The Retail equation". No idea how many returns or what dollar amount triggers it - which makes it even more slimy. No warnings either - everything was fine and then bam! No returns for 90 days. Plus it's a huge privacy concern.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/retailers-keeping-tabs-consumers-return-115934658.html
post #2274 of 7420 Old 08-12-2013, 03:39 PM

Im in that boat as I type. I purchased a vt60 then went to the f7100 which was faulty with dead pixels so I got the f8000 and now im thinking to return it for the f9000 4k set. Video only is quit upset with me but I dont want to spend 7-8000 dollars and not get what I want.

So my question is...is it worth it to get the 65" 4kf9000 or keep the 75" f8000. I wont be able to buy a new tv for the future so this is the ONE. I dont want to regret not getting the 4k in 4 months when I get the ps4. Ahhhh choices.
post #2275 of 7420 Old 08-12-2013, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

See my reply ! , after your original post !

G. 
post #2276 of 7420 Old 08-12-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

Im in that boat as I type. I purchased a vt60 then went to the f7100 which was faulty with dead pixels so I got the f8000 and now im thinking to return it for the f9000 4k set. Video only is quit upset with me but I dont want to spend 7-8000 dollars and not get what I want.

So my question is...is it worth it to get the 65" 4kf9000 or keep the 75" f8000. I wont be able to buy a new tv for the future so this is the ONE. I dont want to regret not getting the 4k in 4 months when I get the ps4. Ahhhh choices.

I compared the UN65F9000 to the UN65F8000 at Magnolia the other day. From the same 10' distance, I saw no difference. I watched The Dark Knight on blu-ray. The 9000 I was told was up converting the blu-ray to 4k. I didn't see the difference.

Keep the UN75F8000

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #2277 of 7420 Old 08-12-2013, 07:41 PM

This is what im concerned about. Some say at 10' in a 65" you can totally tell the difference and some say like you have that there is no difference. Perhaps the up-conversion is not as good but maybe true 4k is actually that much better....
post #2278 of 7420 Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

OK___ , I don`t have Blue-Ray , not a one !! , except for PS3 games.

Yes , BD is better , but I am not about to rid my collection in favor of BD.

SD , at least for now is fine with me , so what does this have to do with your situation ? Res , my friend , Res.

Like I have already stated , I would save the coin , if you have BD , then 4K ????? , I just don`t see it and no one else will until November !

I say keep the F8000... unless you plan on scraping your BD collection for 4K , and that means a loss of $$$ !

OK__ just my 6 cents ( inflation biggrin.gif )

Later ,

Me 
post #2279 of 7420 Old 08-12-2013, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERKEY99 View Post

This is what im concerned about. Some say at 10' in a 65" you can totally tell the difference and some say like you have that there is no difference. Perhaps the up-conversion is not as good but maybe true 4k is actually that much better....

Hello merkey99,

Yes, a real 4k source is much better than any up-converted sd, hd or blu-ray. Hugh difference.
Rather than reading what people like me and others post, see for yourself. Try and get to a store and do the home work like we do. Seeing is believing!

If possible, find a store that has both on display. Bring a blu-ray with you. Have them take the unit out of the real 4k feed. (Currently there is no 4k broadcast, or 4k discs that are of the same pq as a true 4k sorce and most likely it will not be available for some years.) What early adopters are hoping for is up-conversion of sd, hd and blu-ray to 4k quality. I did not see it and I so wanted to. When you're in the store compare apples to apples, the blu-ray disc you brought. I did not see any difference between 1080p and the so called up conversion to 4k at 10 feet with my blu-ray. When I moved up to 5 feet from both, then yes, the up converted set looked better. Who's gonna sit five feet from a 65" screen? Do a search on the net about if 4k is worth buying now. Almost every reviewer says no. Look into the issue of hdmi 2.0 too. Buy a sony or lg and it will most likely not be upgradeable because of the hdmi format down the road. Samsung seems to address this issue with their evolution kit in their 4k sets.

post #2280 of 7420 Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Hello merkey99,

Yes, a real 4k source is much better than any up-converted sd, hd or blu-ray. Hugh difference.
Rather than reading what people like me and others post, see for yourself. Try and get to a store and do the home work like we do. Seeing is believing!

If possible, find a store that has both on display. Bring a blu-ray with you. Have them take the unit out of the real 4k feed. (Currently there is no 4k broadcast, or 4k discs that are of the same pq as a true 4k sorce and most likely it will not be available for some years.) What early adopters are hoping for is up-conversion of sd, hd and blu-ray to 4k quality. I did not see it and I so wanted to. When you're in the store compare apples to apples, the blu-ray disc you brought. I did not see any difference between 1080p and the so called up conversion to 4k at 10 feet with my blu-ray. When I moved up to 5 feet from both, then yes, the up converted set looked better. Who's gonna sit five feet from a 65" screen? Do a search on the net about if 4k is worth buying now. Almost every reviewer says no. Look into the issue of hdmi 2.0 too. Buy a sony or lg and it will most likely not be upgradeable because of the hdmi format down the road. Samsung seems to address this issue with their evolution kit in their 4k sets.
This is only the first generation of 4K. I would wait another year or two, so they could perfect the technology better. There's bound to be problems with the first gen. sets.

XBOX: xxx GR1MM xxx
PS3: GR1MM
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page