Official Samsung UNxxF8000 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7428 Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My UN55F8000 was delivered yesterday, so it's time to have an owners thread.

ETA Helpful posts in thread:

How to enable Cal-Day and Cal-Night in Service Menu
Buzz's Cal-Night settings
Buzz's Cal-Day settings
Buzz's 3D calibration settings
Settings that are not available in Game mode and PC mode
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7428 Old 03-14-2013, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Congrats , on your new Sammy !

Now that you have it , if I may , I would like to ask some questions about it ! smile.gif

1 : Could you please measure the distance from the bottom of the tv to the top of your stand.
If you have it wall mounted , could you please , give a measurement of what it might be by using
the stand and it`s mounting holes as a reference. ( i.e.. 1 and 1/2 " or 1.5 " from top of stand to bottom of tv ).

2: Also , does the new F8000 series have an "On-Timer" and "Sleep" timer ?

3 : Is the back metal or plastic ( metal may hold in too much heat / plastic may dissipate heat )

Thank you for your time and efforts to help answer my questions , just for reference , I am looking for the 46 " , however I do believe that #1 would pertain to 46" as well and 2 & 3 should also be the same for the 46".

I really appreciate your help , thanks again. smile.gif

Gary 
post #3 of 7428 Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

1. When you say my stand, do you mean what I have the TV sitting on, or the stand that came with the tv?

2. The F8000 does have the On-Timer and Sleep timers.

3. I will have to check the back when I get home. I know the cover that goes over the input connections is plastic. I assume the entire back uses the same plastic, but I did tap on the back to see if it was metal or plastic.
post #4 of 7428 Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi grhopper ,

Thank you for your help smile.gif

What I am asking as far as the stand , is basically how much room or space is under the bottom of the tv when it is sitting on your { a } stand.
I just want to know is there would be enough room for my WD 750 router , for example the router that I have is about 1.5" high and if it would fit under the middle of the stand them that would be perfect. Sorry I did not explain myself better.

If the back is plastic , then that will be very good for the tv ( any size ) , I was trying out the LG 8600 series last year and the back was metal and after about 3 hours of being turned on it would fall out of calibration , then I touched the back and noticed it was very hot.

Needless to say the LG was returned. I have a 6 year old XBR2 40" and the back is plastic and I can have it on all day and the back barely gets warm , the plastic will dissipate heat where as metal might retain it.

Of course there are many factors involved such as adequate ventilation and the types of cooling fans used in the tv itself.

Anyway I do thank you again for answering # 2 , you know very time they add features , sometimes they take away , I am glad you know that the "On Timer" and "Sleep" timer are still there. It is also worth noting that Samsung was right in going back to 4 HDMI , 3 was not enough.

So , thanks again , post when you can smile.gif

Take care biggrin.gif

Gary  
post #5 of 7428 Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 PM - Thread Starter

Based on the spec sheet, the stand raises the tv 1.4". I measured 1.5" between the table and the tv. It will be pretty tight for your 1.5" router. The back is black plastic, not metal.
post #6 of 7428 Old 03-14-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 403
post #7 of 7428 Old 03-14-2013, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Going from a 6 and a half year old 32" Westinghouse, it's hard not to love it. I just got the Disney WOW Blu-Ray in, hoping I can get a chance to play around with that soon.
post #8 of 7428 Old 03-14-2013, 07:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the help and info "grhopper" , I just measured my router again ( this time with my glasses on eek.gif ) , and it is just over an inch and 1/4 , so I think I`ll be A-Ok !! biggrin.gif

And as for the back being plastic , that is also great news , hopefully the heat build-up will be kept to a minimum.

Thanks again for taking the time to help !! Great help too , I might add ! biggrin.gif

Take care , and please keep posting , thanks, smile.gif

Gary 
post #9 of 7428 Old 03-14-2013, 08:04 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post

Going from a 6 and a half year old 32" Westinghouse, it's hard not to love it. I just got the Disney WOW Blu-Ray in, hoping I can get a chance to play around with that soon.

hello grhopper

Congratulations!
What interests me is if you can see flashlighting or clouding. The 2012 ES8000 model was at times strongly criticized for that. The F8000 should be better, but is it?

Can you check and share your experience. Display a black screen (maybe you can find a pattern on the Disney WOW) and set the picture to Movie mode, with brightness at 45. With these settings, dimming is avoided (at least on the ES8000).
post #10 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 05:37 AM

Liked: 12
Review on Amazon for the UN55F8000:

"As for the initial picture quality results. They are outstanding. The back panel is comprised of literally thousands of miniature LED lights that produce very strong light and can dim all the way down to be completely turned off. So far, the factory calibration is much improved over last year's, I doubt we will have to modify it much. The image quality is much better as well, there is currently no observable light bleed or halo'ing around images. Darks are much much darker then the ES series, but the ES series were edge-lit, these new panels are not as they are full back-lit set's. The new sets do eliminate most of the image blur found common on LCD sets and it appears, at least initially, that the image is much faster and responsive. However, fast paced scenes like those in Transformers and etc are still not as clear the Plasma panels, but either way are improved still. Black levels are insane for a LED set and depending on when we measure against the best from LG and Sony, might be some of darkest blacks on a LED set yet. I should note that we havent measured it yet. However, we have put the set in complete darkness and tested it and all we could see were images and no halo, which is huge."

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-Inch-1080p-240Hz/product-reviews/B00BCGRLUI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1
post #11 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla1964 View Post

Review on Amazon for the UN55F8000:

"As for the initial picture quality results. They are outstanding. The back panel is comprised of literally thousands of miniature LED lights that produce very strong light and can dim all the way down to be completely turned off. So far, the factory calibration is much improved over last year's, I doubt we will have to modify it much. The image quality is much better as well, there is currently no observable light bleed or halo'ing around images. Darks are much much darker then the ES series, but the ES series were edge-lit, these new panels are not as they are full back-lit set's. The new sets do eliminate most of the image blur found common on LCD sets and it appears, at least initially, that the image is much faster and responsive. However, fast paced scenes like those in Transformers and etc are still not as clear the Plasma panels, but either way are improved still. Black levels are insane for a LED set and depending on when we measure against the best from LG and Sony, might be some of darkest blacks on a LED set yet. I should note that we havent measured it yet. However, we have put the set in complete darkness and tested it and all we could see were images and no halo, which is huge."

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-UN55F8000-55-Inch-1080p-240Hz/product-reviews/B00BCGRLUI/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Am I totally missing something here? I thought the F8000 was an edge-lit set, not back-lit? Am I wrong about that? This review claims that the LEDs are behind the screen, not edge-lit.
post #12 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 06:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_2 View Post

Am I totally missing something here? I thought the F8000 was an edge-lit set, not back-lit? Am I wrong about that? This review claims that the LEDs are behind the screen, not edge-lit.

No, just another misinformed review.
post #13 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
post #14 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I think the this guy deserves some credit, and he is being helpful in the comments section answering plenty of questions. Kudos to him. If you continue reading:
Quote:
**UPDATE 03/07/2013**

To clarify, this TV does not appear to be a full array back-lit set, but it uses new technology called Precision Black, which appears to be some kind of hardware filter on the TV set. See below for Samsung's description taken from the manual spec sheet.

It´s quite interesesting to check the comments since he compares the F8000 to the F8500 plasma which he also owns (lucky guy eek.gif):

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2J3ZB1IEYDXU0/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00BCGRLUI&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful
post #15 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post

I think the this guy deserves some credit, and he is being helpful in the comments section answering plenty of questions. Kudos to him. If you continue reading:
It´s quite interesesting to check the comments since he compares the F8000 to the F8500 plasma which he also owns (lucky guy eek.gif):

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2J3ZB1IEYDXU0/ref=cm_cr_pr_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00BCGRLUI&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=#wasThisHelpful

I was only referring to the section at the beginning in which he says it is a back lit set, not edge lit like the ES8000. That is a pretty big error to make.
post #16 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Should read whole thing first . . .
post #17 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Should read whole thing first . . .

OIC...So you are telling me stating that the F8000 is full backlit and is NOT EDGE LIT is not a misinformed review? eek.gif
post #18 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Exactly . . .
post #19 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Exactly . . .

OMG! I point out that this person is misinformed over calling the F8000 a back lit display instead of correctly identifying it as an egde lit and you guys want to criticize me?

How would you feel if you read this on Amazon and bought this TV thinking it was back lit and not edge lit as this reviewer claims? That is why it is a "misinformed" review as I originally stated. If you want to take the time to be a reviewer and have your reviews taken seriously, then you can't be making such a MAJOR mistake as he does and not expect it to be labeled as "misinformed" in a forum like Amazon comments where people really do make decisions based off of peer reviews. Shame on you for kudoing him. Pathetic.
post #20 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Shame on you for kudoing him. Pathetic.

Harsh words confused.gif, and honestly I don´t understand why.

By the way i´m not Godzilla1964 (I was born in 1964 though) but I did say "kudos to the reviewer" so I think your post may also be directed to me.

I don´t think it´s pathetic or should feel ashame for saying thanks to the Amazon customer. Clearly he is trying to help and is putting time and effort in his answers and updates, so in my opinion he deserves some respect .

True that he made a mistake saying that it was back lit, but he did rectify in an update.

So what´s the problem? Frankly I don't see any or at least not to the point of telling a forum member that he is pathetic and he should feel ashamed for expressing some gratitude to the F8000, F8500 owner for his review and updates.

EDITED:
Quote:
I just spoke with Robert from VE. It looks like my perceptions of the F8000 were correct. He had Ed Johnson up to his store to have the F8000 ISF'd. The bottom line is that Ed was stunned by the display. He was sure it was a full array panel, the black levels were that good. Additionally, there was no flashlighting, screen uniformity was great, gamma was flat across all luminance levels and color & detail were right up there with the Kuro.

It appears Samsung has indeed found a way to make edge lit displays mirror a full array panel. My eyes weren't deceiving me.

Quote from this same forum.

It´s seems that the Amazon reviewer was not the only one fooled into thinking that the F8000 was indeed "full back lit" (which is not, but judging by the amazing picture quality, who cares?) wink.gif

Regards
post #21 of 7428 Old 03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Harsh words confused.gif, and honestly I don´t understand why.

By the way i´m not Godzilla1964 (I was born in 1964 though) but I did say "kudos to the reviewer" so I think your post may also be directed to me.

I don´t think it´s pathetic or should feel ashame for saying thanks to the Amazon customer. Clearly he is trying to help and is putting time and effort in his answers and updates, so in my opinion he deserves some respect .

True that he made a mistake saying that it was back lit, but he did rectify in an update.

So what´s the problem? Frankly I don't see any or at least not to the point of telling a forum member that he is pathetic and he should feel ashamed for expressing some gratitude to the F8000, F8500 owner for his review and updates.

EDITED:
Quote from this same forum.

It´s seems that the Amazon reviewer was not the only one fooled into thinking that the F8000 was indeed "full back lit" (which is not, but judging by the amazing picture quality, who cares?) wink.gif

Regards

Trust me... I wasn't trying to be harsh in regards to your posts. It was a general feeling overall of being criticized when all I was doing was pointing out that the reviewer was misinformed. Also, the comment from VE was tongue in cheek. I highly doubt the calibrator was truly fooled into thinking it was full array local dimming, but was saying that to illustrate how superb they felt the black levels were for the 55.
post #22 of 7428 Old 03-16-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Trust me... I wasn't trying to be harsh in regards to your posts. It was a general feeling overall of being criticized when all I was doing was pointing out that the reviewer was misinformed.

Trust you. No worries wink.gif I think that when my head (+ Google +Thesaurus) translates english to my language, sometimes I do it too literally and something get lost in translation.

Back on topic, I guess grhopper and other lucky owners are enjoying their sets (and who would blame them?) but it would be great if they could share some more impressions.

Thanks!
bestboy1 likes this.
post #23 of 7428 Old 03-16-2013, 06:51 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by grhopper View Post

My UN55F8000 was delivered yesterday, so it's time to have an owners thread.

Does the quad core make a difference in web page loading and scrolling in seconds and 1080p video playing without buffering? Thanks, Craig.
post #24 of 7428 Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

I don't have any experience with the ES8000, so I do not have a baseline of comparison on the quad core vs dual core.

As far as picture quality goes, it's amazing. We watched The Lion King yesterday, and when they displayed "the Lion King" on a black screen, the black looked as if the tv was off. Same was true during the credits.

I did come across a couple of issues with the smart hub. First one happened while watching something on my Dish DVR. At some random moment, the voice input got triggered without anyone touching the remote. I cancelled out of the voice input, backed up the DVR some, and when it got to the same point of the show, the voice input got triggered again.

Later that day, while using the netflix app, the smart hub started doing some crazy stuff like going through menus or something. I wasn't watching, so I don't know exactly, but no one was touching the remote.
post #25 of 7428 Old 03-18-2013, 09:27 AM

Hi grhopper, Do you notice any banding,clouding, or flashlighting? The TV looks pretty nice, But! I'm not crazy about the stand design. Tks!
post #26 of 7428 Old 03-18-2013, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter

I have not noticed any banding, clouding, or flashlighting. What is it that you don't like about the stand design? I have not yet decided if I will be mounting it on a wall or placing it on a stand.
post #27 of 7428 Old 03-18-2013, 03:16 PM

Well correct me If I"m wrong? but looking at the pictures it appears that the stand is almost as wide as the TV. So to place this TV on a stand, It would have to be a wider stand. Even wider for the 60 or 65 inch set down the road. What do you guys think???? Tks.
post #28 of 7428 Old 03-18-2013, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Call me paranoid, but I would never put a tv this expensive on a stand that isn't at least as wide as the tv. I have to replace the entertainment center that my old tv was in b/c it would only hold a 32", so getting a new stand was part of the plan. Plus I've got the need for the storage that a wider would supply.
post #29 of 7428 Old 03-18-2013, 05:20 PM

grhopper how wide is your new stand?
post #30 of 7428 Old 03-18-2013, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't gotten the new stand yet. The one I'm looking at is the Sauder Registry Row TV Credenza which is 60" wide. According to the spec sheet, the 65" is 57" wide, so it's big enough to handle everything up to the 75". Right now I have it set up on 2 end tables that are put together side-by-side.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un55b8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55c8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Westinghouse Ld 3235 32 Inch Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46f8000 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Lg 47lm8600 Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000
Gear in this thread