Does the LG 55LM4600 HDTV really have surround sound? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-14-2013, 09:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi folks,

I'm new to Home Theater and this forum... I hope you can help.

We recently moved up from an old-style 28" CRT TV, to an LG 55LM4600. I focused on the video specs and think we did good there ($800 for 55" 1080P 120 Hz 3D LED), but I didn't look at the audio side of it, and may be paying for it now... or not? ...

The TV has 3 HDMI connectors and RCA connectors, but the only I/O that specifically mentions audio out, is an "optical digital audio out". Its manual says almost nothing about audio except these cryptic asides:
  • It is manufactured under license from Dolby Studios (and shows double-D Dolby Digital symbol here)
  • When discussing HDMI connections to HD receivers or DVDs, it has the footnotes "Audio Supported Codec: MPEG, Dolby Digital" and "HDMI Audio Supported Format: Dolby Digital, PCM (Up to 192 kHz)" (p. 23 of Owner's Manual)
  • Its specs say it has "Infinite Surround" but all this does is convert non-surround sound, to surround (I had to call them to get this explanation). Of course, I'm talking about "real" surround sound.

I don't otherwise see any mention of "surround" or THX or any other audio info.

If it matters, my A/V is coming from a Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S590 player as well as streaming through a Comcast HD DVR and NetFlix streaming (and Comcast Streampix).

So the question is, does my TV even have surround sound - should I bother to get some kind of 5.1 system?

If so, I will probably get Home Theater in a Box (I'm in the U.S., something in the $200 to 300 range). I imagine it would have to support the optical digital audio connection, eh?

Thanks if you can advise this newbie!!

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheRed View Post

Hi folks,

I'm new to Home Theater and this forum... I hope you can help.

We recently moved up from an old-style 28" CRT TV, to an LG 55LM4600. I focused on the video specs and think we did good there ($800 for 55" 1080P 120 Hz 3D LED), but I didn't look at the audio side of it, and may be paying for it now... or not? ...

The TV has 3 HDMI connectors and RCA connectors, but the only I/O that specifically mentions audio out, is an "optical digital audio out". Its manual says almost nothing about audio except these cryptic asides:
  • It is manufactured under license from Dolby Studios (and shows double-D Dolby Digital symbol here)
  • When discussing HDMI connections to HD receivers or DVDs, it has the footnotes "Audio Supported Codec: MPEG, Dolby Digital" and "HDMI Audio Supported Format: Dolby Digital, PCM (Up to 192 kHz)" (p. 23 of Owner's Manual)
  • Its specs say it has "Infinite Surround" but all this does is convert non-surround sound, to surround (I had to call them to get this explanation). Of course, I'm talking about "real" surround sound.

I don't otherwise see any mention of "surround" or THX or any other audio info.

If it matters, my A/V is coming from a Sony Blu-Ray BDP-S590 player as well as streaming through a Comcast HD DVR and NetFlix streaming (and Comcast Streampix).

So the question is, does my TV even have surround sound - should I bother to get some kind of 5.1 system?

If so, I will probably get Home Theater in a Box (I'm in the U.S., something in the $200 to 300 range). I imagine it would have to support the optical digital audio connection, eh?

Thanks if you can advise this newbie!!

Mike

For all intents and puroses, just consider your TV as a monitor. If you decide to run your sources w/HDMI up to the TV and then run an optical down into the HTiB you'll get surround sound.

Hopefully you'd get an HTiB or other system which will have multiple HDMI inputs for HDMI passthrough and you can let that process the surround sound.

Either way, you'll get surround sound assuming you run one of the two ways.

(On a side note, I'd run 5 channel stereo for your Comcast feed. Unless you're watching a movie which is being broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 Just my opinion.)

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
post #3 of 5 Old 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheRed View Post

So the question is, does my TV even have surround sound - should I bother to get some kind of 5.1 system?]
Your TV may have a pseudo surround sound. Not optimal.
Yes... get a 5.1 surround system if you want "real" surround sound.
post #4 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 11
Thanks folks, ok now I see... in a sense, I was asking the wrong question. Since the A/V signal actually originates somewhere else (Blu-Ray player, Comcast HD DVR, streaming), the question is whether those sources have surround sound. And I should pass them to a receiver.

Hoozthatat, you said

"(On a side note, I'd run 5 channel stereo for your Comcast feed. Unless you're watching a movie which is being broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 Just my opinion.)"

I'm a little confused. As opposed to what? Yes, I'm looking into getting a 5.1 system. Are you saying "5-channel stereo" beats "2 channel stereo" (for what it's worth), or making some other point that I'm missing?

I heard someone mention the DENON DHT-1312XP as a potential modest HTiB. I will probably start a new thread asking more specifically about HTiBs.

Thanks, you too! At least I'm pointed in the right direction now. :P

Mike
post #5 of 5 Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Hoozthatat, you said

"(On a side note, I'd run 5 channel stereo for your Comcast feed. Unless you're watching a movie which is being broadcast in Dolby Digital 5.1 or DTS 5.1 Just my opinion.)"

I'm a little confused. As opposed to what? Yes, I'm looking into getting a 5.1 system. Are you saying "5-channel stereo" beats "2 channel stereo" (for what it's worth), or making some other point that I'm missing?

I prefer 5 channel stereo for most of my DirecTV usage, unless I'm watching a movie on DTV that's broadcast in DD 5.1 or DTS 5.1

60F8000; RX-V367; TSi300 x2; YST-SW102; Harmony 650; Apple TV; Microsoft Xbox One Console; RF-HTS120;

xRite i1 Display Pro (OEM); CalMAN 5 Basic; ColorHCFR
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 55 Inch 55lm4600 Led Lcd Cinema 3d Tv Trumotion , Sony Bdp S590 3d Blu Ray Player , Denon Dht 1312xp A V Home Theater Receiver Avr1312 With Sys1312 Theater Speaker Package
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page