Need Help Choosing LCD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 06:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Budget: $500 (can't spend much more than that)

Size: 42-50 inches

Must have:

1080p
Good black levels (for a budget tv)
Good shaddow detail
Good screen uniformity (no banding or anything)

Not as important:

Viewing angle
color accuracy
menu/interface

Not important at all:

Sound
Inputs (2 HDMI is fine)
3D
Internet

Basically, I just want the best tv around $500 in terms of picture quality. I am upgrading from an Insignia NS-LCD42HD that has vertical banding and bad image retention. My first choice would be a plasma, but I can't seem to find any plasmas that are 1080p for around $500, only 720p, which I don't want.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What's the big deal with 1080p?
post #3 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 07:33 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Keep an eye out for close-outs, clearances at local retailers. Places that have guys who work on commission are more likely to cut prices extra on close-out models as their managers have told them to just get those old models off the floor. I was at HH Gregg a couple of weeks ago and the sales manager was gong to sell a 50" LG 1080p plasma for $485. (50PA5500 I believe). I decided against plasma in the end though as IR will be an issue with my wife and kids watching static images/stuff with black bars through the day and of course my wife does not want have to deal with the idea of running slides/or periodically running the various screen washers. Plus I needed something brighter for daytime TV watching.

42" and 46" LED-lit and CCFL-lit models frequently dip into the below $500 category. You just got to really watch for several weeks and wait for one that will meet your requirements. Watch for falling prices on Samsung EH5000 series as those should start disappearing before too long. They have good blacks for LED and the direct-lit design, while not quite as bright as edge lit, gives better screen uniformity generally. If black levels are most important, you probably want to stay away from most LG models. Their IPS screens are very nice and provide fantastic viewing angles, but for whatever reason, the S-IPS tech can't seem to produce great black levels.
post #4 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I was at Walmart recently just looking at TVs and they had three different 720p plasmas on display next to a bunch of 1080p LCDs and LEDs. I could easily notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. That's why I want to go with a 1080p set. Plus, I will be sitting about 6-7 feet away from the screen and at 42+ inches I think the lower resolution will be pretty noticeable.

bargugl, I know you recommend the Samsung EH5000 series, but they are a couple hundred dollars out of my price range and with my current TV driving me nuts with the banding and image retention, I am hoping to upgrade sooner than later. Are there any models for around $500 that you recommend? I have been looking at these:

Sony KDL46bx450 ($498 at Walmart)
Toshiba 50L2200U ($499 at Walmart)
LG 42CS560 ($448 at Walmart)
LG 42LM3400 ($499 at Best Buy)
Insignia NS-50L240A13 ($499 at Best Buy) *makes me a little nervous since my current tv is Insignia and it has banding and image retention, but it's also an old model. If they have new and improved panels I wouldn't be opposed.
Insignia NS-46E340A13 ($529 at Best buy)

Since I have a 42" now, it would really be nice to upgrade to 46" or 50", but the main thing I want is a quality upgrade. Any input on these models or any others that are nicer than these? Thanks guys.
post #5 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 11:30 AM

Liked: 11
Panasonic L42E50, $549.99 on amazon. Had it for 9 months before selling it and buying a larger TV. Very happy with it. It has about 80% of the picture quality of the premium WT/DT series.
post #6 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

I found the CNET review for that TV and it looks like they feel there are better options in that price range. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-l42e50/4505-6482_7-35137858.html

I know I can't expect the world from a $500 tv, but they seem to think the picture quality is not up to par with similarly priced TVs. Any other suggestions? Any feedback on the TVs I listed above? Thanks.
post #7 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soules75 View Post

Thanks for the input. I was at Walmart recently just looking at TVs and they had three different 720p plasmas on display next to a bunch of 1080p LCDs and LEDs. I could easily notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. That's why I want to go with a 1080p set. Plus, I will be sitting about 6-7 feet away from the screen and at 42+ inches I think the lower resolution will be pretty noticeable.

bargugl, I know you recommend the Samsung EH5000 series, but they are a couple hundred dollars out of my price range and with my current TV driving me nuts with the banding and image retention, I am hoping to upgrade sooner than later. Are there any models for around $500 that you recommend? I have been looking at these:

Sony KDL46bx450 ($498 at Walmart)
LG 42CS560 ($448 at Walmart)
LG 42LM3400 ($499 at Best Buy)
Insignia NS-50L240A13 ($499 at Best Buy) *makes me a little nervous since my current tv is Insignia and it has banding and image retention, but it's also an old model. If they have new and improved panels I wouldn't be opposed.
Insignia NS-46E340A13 ($529 at Best buy)

Since I have a 42" now, it would really be nice to upgrade to 46" or 50", but the main thing I want is a quality upgrade. Any input on these models or any others that are nicer than these? Thanks guys.

The LG's tend to not have the best black levels, though I am not that familiar with those two models. The Sony is one of their low end products, which I remember right is an outsourced product, but don't quote me on that. I haven't seen a review on it. The Toshiba and Insignia 50 have been tested professionally and have done surprisingly well. Black levels are good for both of them for LCD/LED TVs. Both have also been cheaper than current prices. Here are extremely detailed reviews:
Toshiba
http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/toshiba-50l2200u-hdtv-review.htm
Insignia
http://www.televisioninfo.com/content/Insignia-NS-50L240A13-HDTV-Review.htm
post #8 of 25 Old 03-15-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

It looks like the Toshiba review is slightly better overall. This is probably my top contender at this point and at 50" it would be a nice size upgrade as well. thanks for your input.
post #9 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 24
I will never buy another Toshiba.

To be honest with you I've had good luck with those cheaper RCA's.
post #10 of 25 Old 03-16-2013, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

i just ordered the toshiba. it has solid reviews and walmart has a 90 day return policy, so we will see. hopefully everything works and looks good! thanks for everyones input.
post #11 of 25 Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM

Liked: 16
Quote:

I found the CNET review for that TV and it looks like they feel there are better options in that price range. http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-l42e50/4505-6482_7-35137858.html

I know I can't expect the world from a $500 tv, but they seem to think the picture quality is not up to par with similarly priced TVs. Any other suggestions? Any feedback on the TVs I listed above? Thanks.

I just bought this tv and CNET is full of crap. CNET is reviews are subject to influence by ad money or corporate influence (see the whole CES Dish Hopper fiasco). http://www.televisioninfo.com/products/panasonic-viera-tc-l42e50 . This review from Television info. gives a good summary of the TV and rates it as one of the best.

I've had this set for 2 weeks and it is great. It is a great build quality (Metal backing feels solid compared to other TVs). Sharp looking TV build-wise and picture-wise. It is a smart TV (built-in ethernet) and has 4 HDMI inputs. I got it for $517 at Best Buy and it shot back up to $799 a week later.
post #12 of 25 Old 03-17-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Nowadays CNET has almost no credibility. CNET also said that Panasonic 55DT50 is one of the worst TVs of 2012. After selling my 42E50 I bought a Panasonic 55DT50, like new, for $700. I am very happy with it, except some minor backlight bleeding and uniformity issues. I contacted Panasonic and they will take a look. If they won't fix or replace it, I won't mind sending it back and buy a new one for $1100.

I tried a Toshiba 5200 before and it was awful. 2200 should be even worse.
post #13 of 25 Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 PM

I agree. I had nightmare experiences with Dish and I will disagree with anything positive said about Dish.
post #14 of 25 Old 03-17-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

My current tv has crushed blacks, poor shadow detail, vertical banding, and really bad image retention. Even if the Toshiba doesn't perform like the Panasonic, it looks to have about twice the contrast ratio of my current tv, and being a DLED, it has great screen uniformity (backed up by the reviews i've read).

I am not a huge fan of CNET reviews, as I feel they are a bit vague and seem inconsistent throughout. I prefer the reviews that televisioninfo.com does, and they gave the Toshiba a solid review.

"We were impressed with the Toshiba 50L2200U (MSRP $899). This Toshiba produces good colors, has deep blacks, and gets modestly bright. It's also easy on the power consumption, which is a bonus since this TV's menu interface isn't so easy on the eyes. Aside from a few aesthetic details, the 50L2200U didn't give us much to complain about. There is the nagging issue of an unresponsive remote, but that was our biggest complaint with this TV.

For the relatively low price of admission – the 50L2200U can be found for around $200 less than its MSRP online – this Toshiba is a great investment for people who do not want 3D or smart features on their TVs. If using your television as a means to watch cable content and movies is your main criteria when looking for a TV, then consider the Toshiba 50L2200U."

Of course I don't expect this thing to perform like a plasma or high end LCD/LED, but for $498 it seems like a solid tv that's strength is displaying a nice, solid picture. Exactly what I was looking for and I expect it will be a solid improvement from my 6 or 7 year old Insignia LCD.
post #15 of 25 Old 03-17-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:

My current tv has crushed blacks, poor shadow detail, vertical banding, and really bad image retention. Even if the Toshiba doesn't perform like the Panasonic, it looks to have about twice the contrast ratio of my current tv, and being a DLED, it has great screen uniformity (backed up by the reviews i've read).

I am not a huge fan of CNET reviews, as I feel they are a bit vague and seem inconsistent throughout. I prefer the reviews that televisioninfo.com does, and they gave the Toshiba a solid review.

"We were impressed with the Toshiba 50L2200U (MSRP $899). This Toshiba produces good colors, has deep blacks, and gets modestly bright. It's also easy on the power consumption, which is a bonus since this TV's menu interface isn't so easy on the eyes. Aside from a few aesthetic details, the 50L2200U didn't give us much to complain about. There is the nagging issue of an unresponsive remote, but that was our biggest complaint with this TV.

For the relatively low price of admission – the 50L2200U can be found for around $200 less than its MSRP online – this Toshiba is a great investment for people who do not want 3D or smart features on their TVs. If using your television as a means to watch cable content and movies is your main criteria when looking for a TV, then consider the Toshiba 50L2200U."

Of course I don't expect this thing to perform like a plasma or high end LCD/LED, but for $498 it seems like a solid tv that's strength is displaying a nice, solid picture. Exactly what I was looking for and I expect it will be a solid improvement from my 6 or 7 year old Insignia LCD.

Television info. gave the Toshiba a 7.0 score. It gave the TC-l42e50 a 7.8.....just sayin' cool.gif I didn't want Smart features but this TV was too good to pass up for $517.
post #16 of 25 Old 03-17-2013, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

I am not a huge fan of CNET reviews, as I feel they are a bit vague and seem inconsistent throughout.

I think that's fair, maybe even generous. Sorry if this is going too far OT, but...just to give a single example:

One thing that really irks me is when they talk about LCD viewing angles. It's usually expressed as good, poor, average, better than such and such, worse than such and such model. Would it kill them to explain how they assess that and give some actual numbers? Anyone reasonably intelligent could use a speed square and mark some angles on the floor of their lab with some tape. It just seems like such an elementary omission, enough to lower my confidence in them overall.
post #17 of 25 Old 03-17-2013, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

I think that's fair, maybe even generous. Sorry if this is going too far OT, but...just to give a single example:

One thing that really irks me is when they talk about LCD viewing angles. It's usually expressed as good, poor, average, better than such and such, worse than such and such model. Would it kill them to explain how they assess that and give some actual numbers? Anyone reasonably intelligent could use a speed square and mark some angles on the floor of their lab with some tape. It just seems like such an elementary omission, enough to lower my confidence in them overall.

That's what I mean when I say they're vague. Televisioninfo.com shows exactly how they test black levels, grayscale, etc. and backs it all up with numbers. CNET I think is aiming to give people a quick snapshot and it's sort of a "take our word for it" type of review. I know televisioninfo.com gave the Panasonic a better review than the Toshiba, but it was too hard to pass up the 50" screen of the Toshiba. Also, the Toshiba has better black levels and overall contrast ratio. It's a trade off...
post #18 of 25 Old 03-20-2013, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 386

That's my vote I have a New Toshiba 32" LCD and a new 50" RCA plasma ( Samsing boards and panel inside) bought 2 new sets last month , the Toshiba PQ is right behind the plasma it's very good .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #19 of 25 Old 03-21-2013, 06:10 AM - Thread Starter

Okay guys, I picked up the Toshiba last night from Walmart and got it all set up. Here are my initial impressions.

*The picture is terrible with factory settings. They sharpness is cranked up WAY too high and the colors are way off. However, once you dial this TV in (reduce contrast, colors, brightness, sharpness), it looks pretty fantastic for a $500 TV!

Pros:

- Solid black levels (way better than my old Insignia LCD)
- Sharp and crisp picture that really pops compared to my old Insignia LCD
- Good color performance once calibrated
- Good screen uniformity
- Solid motion performance for a 60hz TV (I don't care for the unnatural look of 120hz, so the fact that this TV is 60hz didn't bother me)
- Price ($498 from Walmart in my opinion is a steal)

Cons:

- Crappy remote (needs to be pointed right at the sensor and feels really cheap - not a big issue for me, since I mostly use the DirectTV remote and only use the TV remote to change inputs occassionally)
- Crappy stand (TV wobbles on stand, but I plan on wall mounting the TV sooner than later since I have two boys)
- Not a lot of settings to play with (but this is a budget TV, so this isn't really a surprise)

Overall this is a huge improvement over my 42" Insignia both in terms of picture quality, looks, and size. So far I am happy with my purchase and can't wait to start watching TV again without being distracted by vertical banding and image retention! I have not yet played any video games on the TV, so I cannot comment on input lag, but I noticed the TV has a "game mode." I am not sure what exactly this does...?

I'll try to upload some pics soon if I get a chance. If there is anyone out there who has a tight budget and is on the fence about buying this TV, I would recommend it. It's big and displays a great picture for the price.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I've had two Toshiba sets one I just bought and an older one some time back it had very good picture and was reliable .
I bet that 50L2200U is good . IMO good price at $599.00

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #21 of 25 Old 03-22-2013, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

I've had two Toshiba sets one I just bought and an older one some time back it had very good picture and was reliable .
I bet that 50L2200U is good . IMO good price at $599.00

walmart has it for $498

sears is oos but has it listed for $499 as well. thinking of getting it myself to replace my flashlighting LG 55LM4600
post #22 of 25 Old 03-23-2013, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

If you want an inexpensive and large hdtv with a solid picture, this is the way to go. I think the HD picture looks great once it's calibrated. I don't watch a lot of SD content, but I will say the picture quality on SD content is pretty rough. That's true of a lot of HDTVs these days though.

This TV smokes my old Insignia in terms of picture quality.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm good with Toshiba I have one new 32" in the B/room great pix. The older one I had some years ago lasted about 10yrs good picture for a std def 2 VCR's and a dvd player none in use now but they were all good still have one of the VCR packed away . Glad you like your new set . At that price I would have probably bought it
myself when I was shopping. I've always liked Toshiba.

post #24 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

this may not apply but I have a toshiba 24 sl4 IOU in my kitchen. The audio is horrible because the speaker is located on the bottom edge ( facing the floor )of the tv.the only way to hear it is to turn it up very loud. So loud that you can't enjoy it. It's hard to explain but trust me it sucks. So beware of that. but, like I say. probably not an issue with the larger screen models and no big deal if you have surround sound.
post #25 of 25 Old 03-26-2013, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

I think the audio on any 24" LCD/ Led is going to suck not enough room in it for effective speakers .

The audio in my new 32 Toshiba could be better for sure. I use inexpensive powered 2.1 PC speakers on it big improvement . Same can be said for my 2012 50" plasma that is why that one is hooked up to the AVR .
My 2 1/2 yr OLD Dynex 24 has really terrible audio.

I've yet to hear any late model LCD LED or PDP TV's with good Audio.
The Bose TV might be an exception but at that price you can buy A bigger better TV and some audio to go with it have at least $2500.00 left over .

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Insignia , Lg 50pa5500 50 Inch 3d Plasma Tv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh5000 , Panasonic Viera Tc L42e50 42 Inch 1080p Full Hd Ips Led Lcd Tv , Panasonic Viera Tc L55dt50
Gear in this thread - L42e50 by PriceGrabber.com