Best 80in+ 1080p LED TV with Smart TV and DLNA - USA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 05:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys. I am finally ready to build my media room and I am looking for a TV. I want it to be a LED TV 1080p with a minimum of 80 inches and would prefer if it was a Smart TV, however it has to have DNLA. I want a minimum of 120hz but would prefer higher. It would be nice to have built in Wi-Fi, but as long as it is "Wi-Fi ready", I can make due with an adapter. I dont really care if it has 3D or not, however it appears most at this price point do. As far as budget I would like to keep it around $8000 USD or less.

Most of the use on the TV will be watching Blu-Ray movies and other 1080p quality videos and movies. There will be a bit of gaming done on the TV, however not a significant amount.

I did a bit of research online, however there is not a lot of info on TV's that big, most are for 60 -65in when looking at big TV's. I would prefer a 2013 version, however I am not sure how many are out for this size. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Sayajin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
You can get a 2012 Sharp lc80le632u (backlit) for about half your maximum budget. Most people who have it hold it in high regard. You might want to check the thread. You might want to act quickly if you want it, as there are closeout sales going on. Otherwise, you may have to wait awhile for the new 2013 Sharp and Vizio 80 inchers which are scheduled to be released in coming weeks or months. Sharp's lineup is described here: http://www.sharpusa.com/AboutSharp/NewsAndEvents/PressReleases/2013/January/CES2013_FullLine.aspx and Vizio's lineup is described here: http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/vizio-2013-hdtv-4k-m-series-xvt/
post #3 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 12:03 AM

Liked: 11
I agree about the sharp 80lc632u, it has all the features you are looking for, has come down alot in price lately, and most if not all owners are loving their sets, and I am loving mine aswell, black levels are pretty damn good for an led, and my set has no flashlighting or clouding. It is only a 120hz without 3d but to me 3d is useless, and I havn't really run into any major ghosting or blurring issues with it yet.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 08:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the advice on the TV. I actually read both the thread on the one you suggested as well as the LC-80LE844U. While I dont really care for 3D one way or the other, I like the idea of 240hz over 120 so I wanted to compare both. One question I do have is that I dont see DLNA listed in the specs of either TV on the Sharp website, does it have that feature?

Also from reading the last 10 pages or so of each thread, it sounds like most people are suggesting to wait for the 2013 model to be released as there "may" be some significant differences with specs but definitely will be from an ascetics standpoint. Also, it sounds like the new models are expected to be released in the next 30-45 days or so. While I realize I can save a bit getting the 2012 model, I would hate myself if I didint want 30 days and then the 2013 was vastly different from the 2012. So I guess my question would be, does it make sense to wait a month for the 2013 model or should I dive in and go with the 2012?

-Sayajin
post #5 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 10:45 AM

Well to be completely honest with you most of the owners, myself included completely disable any of the motion enhancement features on the tv for watching films, wich renders 240hz tech useless, as myself personally loathe the soap opera effect motion enhancement tech introduces, and seeing as I understand it the 240hz models are just using the same tech as the 120hz models but inserting black frames inbetween to claim 240hz capability. Also I dont quite know why but when I have my 632u with the latest firmware, in movie mode I have the option to turn on aquomotion 240hz, even though it is only specced as a 120hz set.

I can assure you that my set (632u) does have DLNA I have not used it yet so I cant speak to it's functionality but it is there.. and as per your request on wether you should wait or pick up the 2012 632u lets just put it this way, the older models are tried and tested.. the actual panels have been around since 2011 and there are very few reported issues either image quality or build quality wise, so at the very least you know what you are getting yourself into, whereas noone really knows wether the '13 models are going to have any issues with image quality and or reliability. In the end the call is up to you, myself I am not a patient person and hate waiting so I would just bite the bullet with current models, and with electronics if you always wait for the next possibly better model you will never end up with what you want in the end.. but that is just my 2 cents.
post #6 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 10:49 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 25
It all depends on how quickly you need a new TV and what your financial situation is. For myself, I'm waiting for the Vizio 80 inch in order to replace my nine years going on ten years old Mitsubishi 65 inch CRT RPTV. I might still go with a Sharp model but I've got a 6 year old Vizio plasma that's still going strong and I'm interested in seeing Vizio's implementation of passive 3D. 3D's not huge for me, but I have enjoyed it in several movies at the theater (it was well done in Avengers and MIB3) and if I can get it for a relatively small premium, I'll do so. However, bear in mind that promised delivery dates don't always translate into actual product. Vizio had a vaporware 70-plus inch TV several years ago (shown at CES but never delivered). If money's not a problem and you can afford to wait for a few more months, it might be well to see what is coming. As for me, I'm awfully tempted when I see the 632 selling at some internet retailers for the low 3K region. It's likely that there will still be at least some of the 632s and 844s in the pipeline for a while after the introduction of the new sets, although the price may well rise some. As an elderly teacher (39th year) facing retirement in the next few years, I need to balance price and performance but I also want to get a set which will satisfy me for a decade or so as has my current set (I get a new one about every 9-10 years). Good luck on your choice. With your budget there are several good possibilities out there (and Sharp's 90 incher isn't much above it). smile.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Definitely something to think about. I dont mind waiting if we are talking about 30-45 days, however I would not want to wait any longer than that. Also, I didn't consider the fact that the new models may have "bugs" that will take a few revisions to work out. Is that really something that is of concern? If so, that makes the decision to take the dive now a bit easier.

Also, I looked at the 90in Sharp, however as I can get the 80in for half the price, its hard to justify even if its not drastically higher then my budget as a whole.

-Sayajin
post #8 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 02:13 PM

its not so much a matter of "bugs" per say but rather more a question of screen uniformity and build quality.. for instance, while the 80" 632u is held in high regard with almost no uniformity problems, and or dead or stuck pixels, the 70" model was rife with uniformity issues and just didnt look quite as nice as the 80" panel did. Also aside from two or three posters in the whole 80 632u thread noone has had failures or major qc problems and alot of posters were early 2011 buyers, wich makes me feel a little more comfortable when I went to buy my tv last month. I really dont think waiting another month would be the end of the world as not alot of people seem to be buying these giant tv's and that is why I think we are seeing such drastic price reductions as retailers are trying to move product they have been holding onto for some time. I cant speak to the 90" sharp as I havnt really done my research on it, however if you are thinking about that tv make sure you have the viewing distance to accomodate it, as I am hovering right on the edge of the 80's minimum viewing distance and there are a few small drawbacks to being so close. Dropping this much cash on a tv is never something to take lightly, and it pays to be informed before you do, so I hope we could at least help you out a little bit, and best of luck with whatever you chose to do!.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc80le844u 80 Inch 3d Led Tv , Sharp Lc 70le632u Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page