Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does one exist in the 55" range?

My Panasonic GT30 55" is showing signs of irreparable IR (probably burn in). Having just dealt with it on my Pio Elite that's now hanging in my garage (replaced with a Samsung UN46EH6000) I think I'm done with plasma.

I briefly had a 52" Sharp led 3d that had horrible flash lighting and I don't want to deal with that again.

Anyway I'm looking for some brand/model suggestions that folks have had good luck with that don't generally have backlight bleed, clouding of flash lighting problems. Looking for 55" and would prefer to go with passive 3d this time having bought 4 pairs of active glasses for my GT30 - which pained me.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

~Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 09:50 AM

Liked: 47
There are 3 TVs I can think of.

1. Samsung F8000: there have been 3 reviews so far that have said this TV has no clouding or flash lighting. They also said it has great black levels for an LED, accurate colors and good motion. It also has a really nice design.

- Features include smart TV, Active 3D, micro dimming ultimate (edge lit local dimming) and cinema black (dims the black bars on wide screen movies). The price for the 55" is $2700. However, I'm sure the price will continue to fall as the year goes on.

2. Sony HX950: This TV is full array local dimming. It has blacks equal to or better than most plasmas and the uniformity is pretty much perfect. However, you will have halos (light rings around light objects on a dark background) due to there not being enough dimming zones to cover every pixel. This was one of the best TVs of 2012.

-Features include local dimming, smart TV and active 3D. You can find the 55" for around $3200. Sense this looks like it might be one of the last full array LED TVs, demand will stay high. Therefore, I wouldn't count on the price going down too much more (just look at the samsung B8500).

3. LG LM9600 (or 8600): This is the TV I almost bought last year. Like the HX950, this TV is full array. Unfortunately, this TV does not have the deep blacks and wow factor that you'd expect from a backlit LED. However, if you are not a fan of expensive active 3D glasses, this TV might be for you. LG uses passive 3D which uses much cheaper glasses and is flicker free. The main reason I didn't buy the LM9600 was because of its 2D performance. The light blacks and high lag turned me off. However, if you plan to use 3D a lot, passive 3D might be more comfortable.

-Features include smart tv, passive 3D, nano led and a frameless design. The price for the 55" is $1699-$1999.

I hope this helps. I am personally buying the samsung F8000 later this year. I would highly suggest looking at the F8000 threads to learn more. If you don't mind spending a little more and if you don't mind occasional halos, you should look at the Sony XH950.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
All passive 3D sets, outside the glasses free type, use the same LG FPR IPS panels. LG created the tech and sells the panels to everyone else. Minimal clouding will likely be an issue regardless of which LED set you choose as it is inherent in the tech, although the more expensive full array sets generally are better with clouding, but instead have issues with blooming. The only one I know of that is full array is the LG PM9600 series. You can check the owners thread to see if you can get an opinion on clouding/blooming. Despite being edge lit, the Panasonic ET5 series may work. I do not have personal experience with either series so again check the owners threads. I'd definitely still look at the active 3D sets if I was concerned about the clouding issue.
post #4 of 6 Old 03-16-2013, 12:14 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
U could try the new 2013 LA6200 LG TV. It's direct lit.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-17-2013, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll watch for any F8000 deals and may take a peak at the higher end LG offerings as well - although I do game a bit and the lag issues would be a concern. The Sony price is just a bit too steep for me.

~Bill
post #6 of 6 Old 03-18-2013, 05:09 AM

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKen View Post

Thanks for the replies guys. I guess I'll watch for any F8000 deals and may take a peak at the higher end LG offerings as well - although I do game a bit and the lag issues would be a concern. The Sony price is just a bit too steep for me.

I'm playing some games on my F8000 right now and input lag feels fine. There's a game mode that can be enabled, too, to improve responsiveness.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Viera Tc P55gt30 55 Inch 1080p 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung Un46eh6000 Led Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P60gt30 60 Inch 1080p 600 Hz 3d Plasma Hdtv , Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000 , Sony Xbr 55hx950 Bravia Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page