Which is "smarter" ? PS3 vs. Sony HX850 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quick question all. I just purchased a Sony KDL-40HX850 and want to know whether it will be better to stream Netflix through the TV or through the PS3. The PS3 doesn't have as good a WiFi connection as the HX850 but could the TV actually be faster at processing the data for a better viewing experience? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 11:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by acd483 View Post

Quick question all. I just purchased a Sony KDL-40HX850 and want to know whether it will be better to stream Netflix through the TV or through the PS3. The PS3 doesn't have as good a WiFi connection as the HX850 but could the TV actually be faster at processing the data for a better viewing experience? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

In most cases the PS3 would be faster. The general consensus that I have seen around most forums is the 360/PS3 seem to stream content better. This isn't fact, but just from opinion.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 04:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Yea, I can't speak for that tv itself, but Netflix puts MUCH more effort into their PS3/360 apps than they do ones on tv's. Netflix on my ps3 works way better than if I connect my HTPC and view that way.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 640 Post(s)
Liked: 387
Netflix works well on my PS3 also

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #5 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys. One more thought. Instead of the PS3 or the TV, I was thinking of picking up a Mac Mini for streaming. Surely that would be better than the PS3?

I will say, by the way, that the Netflix app on the set and the ps3 are identical in look and feel (makes sense as they are both Sony products) and that's why I got to thinking about the difference between processors.

post #6 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

The new Roku 3 is the best of the set top streamers new dual core processor is supposedly fast also along with a new user friendly interface reviews are solid.
Actually the PS3 may be better than the mac mini which is way overpriced for a small htpc. Streaming does not require a lot of processing power just decent WiFi and internet you can manually set your PS3 wifi settings also . I have mine on auto it works well.
If you are getting buffering that would be an internet connection bandwidth issue ,if you are getting WiFi disconnects that's another thing altogether. Try re setting the PS3 connection either manual or auto . Although the interface isn't the greatest once you are logged on to Netflix it's fine . The Sony PS3 has plenty of video processor (way more than you will ever need) for streaming. Although the interface isn't the greatest once you are logged on to Netflix it's should be fine . If you have a lot of Apple stuff the apple TV STB is another option .
Other than that the Roku 3 unless you wan't an HTPC .
acd483 likes this.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #7 of 9 Old 03-19-2013, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you tubetwister! Greatly helpful.

While I'm sure I will have redundant services across devices, it's great to know which is best at what.

TV - displaying content
PS3 - gaming, streaming, blu-ray
Mac Mini - iTunes, downloading media (thank you Switzerland!)

That should have it covered.

post #8 of 9 Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 285
If it were me I would stream movies through your PS3 or through another device such as a Blu ray player ect. For some reason the streaming quality of movies through my Blu ray player is better then going through my tv. But thats just my opnion mind you.

Sony Bravia KDL-55W900A LED/3D TV.
Sony BDP S6200 3D Blu ray Player.
Sony 5.2-Channel 4K A/V HD Receiver - STRDH540.
Center Channel Speaker: Tivoli Signature Series.
Tower Speakers: Sony SS-MF315's.
Surrounds: Pioneer Satellite Speakers.
post #9 of 9 Old 03-22-2013, 02:59 PM
AVS Special Member

That's not unreasonable the PS3 has good fast video processing ,I imagine a decent B-ray player would as well.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Bravia 55 Inch Led Tv 3d Support Bravia Hx850 Kdl 55hx850 , Playstation 3 160gb System
Gear in this thread - 160gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page