Why are my whites blue? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I purchased a Samsung 40es6100 to replace a mits that went belly up...set up went ok but since it is an LED everything has a blue cast to it...I have tried every setting...the one that I like the most is Standard....the tv is in a very bright bedroom and movie mode is dark and murky ...I need a flashlight to view it..Warm settings give off a greenish tinge with a slight white haze....contrast variations in some shows like "Touch" and "Elementary" make viewing them during the day a challenge...some scenes are so dark I can barely make out faces...I have turned off all the auto dimming features and the true motion features. ...I still own another Mitsubishi LCD and the color on that is breathtaking...comparing the two is frustrating...I prefer the LCD to LED...is there a Samsung 40 inch LCD smart tv without the blue push? Or better yet is there a way to dial out the blue push on this one ..in standard the 10p white balance adjustment is greyed out so I am left with color space and white balance..one other thing...at night the edge lighting is very visible making dark scenes lighter at the edge....I could easily live with that but the blue has to go...reds are blue...blues are intense and purplish ...I seem to be the only person who is complaining about this...a search here has not brought up one thread that can help me...please help me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone????
post #3 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have you looked at or for the RGB color correction menu, most TV's have it these days. my cheap Sony 42ex440 has it and I was able to dial the mono picture to what I consider a good black and white balance. Most sets tend to push the white towards blue as it makes it seem like the whites are whiter and brighter in the showroom. If it truly has a blue push where just it overemphasizes the blues you'll probably have to go into the service menu to dial that out.
post #4 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
You say you have changed the settings from standard to movie, etc, but have you gone into Custom and changed the white balance and color temps? You can easily turn the blue gain down, while keeping other settings how you like them.
post #5 of 8 Old 03-16-2013, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
I don't have the set but you need to find a way to do a grayscale set up.
I have no idea why it is grayed out but you should be able to access it. It is not color decoder issue ratherr high color temp/gratscale issue which is typical out of box.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #6 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys for answering me....I went to the RGB filters to see what I could do to fix this situation ....I used a paused shot from the new Spider-Man ...the red showed fine I could make out faces...the green was even better...but the blue was very dark..faces almost black...I was in Standard....my preferred mode...10pt was greyed out...white balance gave me the gain and offset ...nothing I did removed or lightened the blue in the gain offset ..it remained intense....I saw zero difference when working the sliders....then I went into color space which is set to custom...nothing I did in there while the blue filter was on did anything...the blue remained dark blue....I have never accessed the service menus on any set I have owned so I am reluctant to do that....if this is how the Samsung is normally I can learn to live with it ...unfortunately I am one week out from the return I thought I was still in the warranty period....you guys have been very helpful.( I finally realized what RGB was all about LOL)..... Should blue be really dark not allowing detail in the picture?...is that normal....if not how do I adjust this.....
post #7 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The gains and offsets are to calibrate the gray scale. It isNOT to tweak color. There are infos around as how to calibrate gray scale and to do it right you need colorimeter and software. Some colorimeters have color measurement capabilities as well to correct for RGB error. If you don't know what your doing you'd be better off leaving it alone.
I would say that you blue most likely is fine. But your garyscale need to be setup if your whites have blue cast in them.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

post #8 of 8 Old 03-17-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Caspian you nailed it I adjusted the gray scale and things are much improved...thank you for helping me...you guys rock
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un40es6100 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page