Super confused about sharpness setting! Can someone help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am super confused about the sharpness setting on my Song Bravia TV. I have the 2012 model KDL-60EX645. I owned a Samsung before this one, and the picture looked super sharp on my Samsung with the sharpness set at 0. On this TV, sharpness at 0 provides a VERY blurred picture. The sharpness control goes from 0-30. I have it set at 15 right now (the halfway point), which seems to provide a better picture and no blur.

Now I keep reading people saying that sharpness should be set at 0 on EVERY HDTV for viewing HD content. I watch HD cable and Blu-Ray. But as I stated, when sharpness is at 0 my picture is very soft.

Am I losing detail or adding artificial noise by having the sharpness at the halfway mark?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Is this on any source, cable and blu-ray? You are adding noise if you increase sharpness because of the "added" information. Sharpness is a preference thing. Some like it and some don't. I keep mine at 0 because I don't like any artificial processing and my pq is nice and sharp.
post #3 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 05:54 PM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyMonkey1 View Post

Don't be a sheople, trust your own eyes and preferences, it doesn't make sense just follow blindly other ppl preferences.

BTW the 0 settingpoint between different brands/models/series/designs don't mean they all have the same reference value (there is no design standardnorm for these).

i.e. I have my Samsung sharpness set at 40 when in 2D mode and at 95 in 3D mode.
post #4 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The idea is to set the TV with no artificial sharpness, however, there has been many anecdotal reports that some model TV's actually set the 0 sharpness level at the midpoint of the adjustment (like 50 of a 100 point scale) and introduce artificial softness below the midpoint, based on using calibration discs, etc. Whether that is true or whether some TV's just happen to be ridiculously soft without added sharpening, I have no idea. I have seen this effect myself as with one set, with a calibration tool, setting at 0 made the line borders completely blurry and I didn't really start to see halo artifacting until I was at about 75-80. Best thing to do is just set it to what looks best to you and not worry too much about it. A calibration disc of some sort will be of some help.
post #5 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

I thought it would be adding artificial noise as well, but on this TV if the sharpness is set at 0 the picture is very, very soft. Set at 0 on my Samsung and it was crisp and clear. I used a disc that has excellent video as my reference. On my Samsung with sharpness at 0, it was crisp and detailed. On my Sony with sharpness at 0, it was blurry and soft. I increased sharpness to the halfway point (15, 30 is the maximum) and there is a noticeable increase in picture gulaity in detail. Only drawback I have seen so far is that titles with a lot of grain, the grain is more apparent than with the sharpness down. Text even looks more crisp with my sharpness at halfway. There is no haloing that I can see.

I guess models do vary, that is for sure.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, the "definition" of sharpness and how each tv mfr interprets/implements that will vary, but the bottom line is that you are adding something that isn't there. Sharpness is an arbitrary setting. If it looks good to you, then that's all that matters, period. A calibration disk may help but keep in mind that you are not calibrating your set, only adjusting the parameters to be as close to rec.709 that you can without the use of specialized software and meters. If you can't adjust your set to comfortable viewing then you should probably call support cause there may be something that you're missing in your settings or, god forbid, something wrong with your set.
post #7 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 01:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyMonkey1 View Post

I thought it would be adding artificial noise as well, but on this TV if the sharpness is set at 0 the picture is very, very soft. Set at 0 on my Samsung and it was crisp and clear. I used a disc that has excellent video as my reference. On my Samsung with sharpness at 0, it was crisp and detailed. On my Sony with sharpness at 0, it was blurry and soft. I increased sharpness to the halfway point (15, 30 is the maximum) and there is a noticeable increase in picture gulaity in detail. Only drawback I have seen so far is that titles with a lot of grain, the grain is more apparent than with the sharpness down. Text even looks more crisp with my sharpness at halfway. There is no haloing that I can see.

I guess models do vary, that is for sure.

I've used the sharpness pattern on a number of calibration discs on several different sets. Typically I've found that on Sonys the setting's been correct at anywhere from 30 to 50 on a scale of 1-100, varying with the individual set. Other makes (Panasonics especially) have come up with much lower settings as a rule, some even had a little haloing at 0. I don't subscribe to the dictum that this always has to be at 0.

Steve S.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-17-2013, 09:54 PM

i see it as a "blur" feature on some TV's. not sure why but doesn't hurt to have it
post #9 of 9 Old 03-18-2013, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaweawe View Post

i see it as a "blur" feature on some TV's. not sure why but doesn't hurt to have it

It's a personal preference thing. Some tv's implement the sharpness feature better than others, and as SteveS pointed out, the setting range varies by mfr. You can dial it to whatever you think looks best for you or use a calibration disk and set it according to what the patterns say it should be. Some say leaving it at default which could either be 0 or 50 depending on the mfrs range settings is best because of the artificial information it adds, but again, that's the personal preference part of it. There really isn't a right or wrong.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony 60 Inch Kdl60ex645
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page