Don't Want An LED, But Have To Get One. Can you help? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 03-16-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good evening my HD compatriotsI
It's been a long time since I've hit the forum with a post, but I have a problem I'd love some input on if you have time. I want to buy as much TV as I can to cram into the 44" width of my entertainment center in our living room. My wife and I agreed that we'd always keep the TV behind closed doors for aesthetics and also for the little ones until I have room for a dedicated HT. So far as I can tell, that limits me to a 46 or 47" LCD/LED. BTW, I currently have an older 42" 720P entry level plasma that has served very well. In fact, I'm concerned that my lust for a larger HD unit will actually cost me a bunch of $$ and not even look as my old Panny. Nevertheless, I'm still looking.

Based on CNET's reviews I was headed to the VIZIO M3D470KD. It's a 47" edge-lit LED with decent black levels etc. etc. HOWEVER, looking again today, I find that this very well reviewed unit is no longer for sale (on Amazon, at least) and due to be replaced by a new M series model for 2013 that DOES NOT have the edge lit technology that seems to have garnered all the high praise for this series last year. See link:

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/vizio-m551d/4505-6482_7-35566547.html

So... now I'm back to square one.

I don't care a bit about smart this or that or 240hz this or that per se, but am looking for the best picture quality (black levels mainly) I can get in a 46" or 47" without breaking the bank. I loathe the idea of spending upwards of a grand on an LED when there are so many great plasmas out there, but again, I have to get it into that entertainment center.

I wouldn't be so pressed to do this, but dammit, LOTR on blu-ray sounds so much bigger coming out of my Swans Divas, Denon and Hsu gear than it looks on my lowly little 42"!

And to forestall any naysayers, 47" vs 42" is a HUGE diff in my humble opinion.

I've rambled on long enough. Anyone have suggestions? At this point, I guess I'm likely headed to the LG lm7600 series.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-17-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldac3 View Post

It's been a long time since I've hit the forum with a post, but I have a problem I'd love some input on if you have time. I want to buy as much TV as I can to cram into the 44" width of my entertainment center in our living room. My wife and I agreed that we'd always keep the TV behind closed doors for aesthetics and also for the little ones until I have room for a dedicated HT. So far as I can tell, that limits me to a 46 or 47" LCD/LED. BTW, I currently have an older 42" 720P entry level plasma that has served very well. In fact, I'm concerned that my lust for a larger HD unit will actually cost me a bunch of $$ and not even look as my old Panny. Nevertheless, I'm still looking.

Based on CNET's reviews I was headed to the VIZIO M3D470KD. It's a 47" edge-lit LED with decent black levels etc. etc. HOWEVER, looking again today, I find that this very well reviewed unit is no longer for sale (on Amazon, at least) and due to be replaced by a new M series model for 2013 that DOES NOT have the edge lit technology that seems to have garnered all the high praise for this series last year. See link:

I don't care a bit about smart this or that or 240hz this or that per se, but am looking for the best picture quality (black levels mainly) I can get in a 46" or 47" without breaking the bank. I loathe the idea of spending upwards of a grand on an LED when there are so many great plasmas out there, but again, I have to get it into that entertainment center.

I wouldn't be so pressed to do this, but dammit, LOTR on blu-ray sounds so much bigger coming out of my Swans Divas, Denon and Hsu gear than it looks on my lowly little 42"!

I've rambled on long enough. Anyone have suggestions? At this point, I guess I'm likely headed to the LG lm7600 series.

Two of the new 2013 M series Vizios are edge lit. The 47" M471i (no 3D) & the 50" M501d (with 3D). Due out in first quarter:
http://asset1.cbsistatic.com/cnwk.1d/i/tim/2013/01/06/Screen_Shot_2013-01-06_at_1.11.36_PM_610x311.png
post #3 of 7 Old 03-17-2013, 10:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 266
I would thoroughly research all other possibilities before going with Vizio. And if you do get a Vizio, get an extended warranty and carefully read what it covers and the length of coverage time.
post #4 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Otto Pylot,
According to Consumer Reports' survey of 190000 HD purchases between 2008 and 2012 Vizio's repairs and serious problems percentage was only 4% for LCDs/LEDs. Samsung was at 5% and Panasonic was at 2%. Interestingly, LG and Vizio were the same. Perhaps you have some anecdotal experience that's led you to steer away from Vizio, but those numbers are pretty good and their picture quality and feature set continue to impress.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 10:44 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Otto's concern is that Vizio does not stock much repair parts or truly "service" their Tv's as they are not a real TV manufacturer. They are a marketing firm that hires someone else to make Tvs. If it breaks, you better hope there is replacement coverage as it likely won't ever be repaired. Now the low failure rate does put the odds in the consumers favor and in this day and age, repairing of TVs is becoming rarer no matter what brand it is.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-21-2013, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldac3 View Post

Don't put a lot of faith in Cnet's review. Generally edge lit LED's are looked upon unfavorably due to uniformity issues. It's interesting to note that the M3D series they are so highly praising use the same LG IPS 3d panels that they blast in other products. In reading the review, it sounds like the lower black levels compared to the other LG paneled sets is a result of overaggressive local dimming that yes is creating a lower black level, but at the expense of all detail. Also, it sounds like they are describing a dynamic contrast function that is lowering the overall backlight or brightness levels in dark scenes as they state that the blacks become lighter when there is more bright material on the screen. (duh! that is exactly how dynamic contrast works) Dynamic contrast is something almost all TV's do and those features should be left off if one is to truly judge TV's comparatively. Seems to me like Vizio paid some money to Cnet and they wrote a review to try to make it sound better than it is. In this case they are letting a black level number overrule the actual quality of the black. If good black level performance is what you want, I would still look at other sets.
post #7 of 7 Old 03-22-2013, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post

Otto's concern is that Vizio does not stock much repair parts or truly "service" their Tv's as they are not a real TV manufacturer. They are a marketing firm that hires someone else to make Tvs. If it breaks, you better hope there is replacement coverage as it likely won't ever be repaired. Now the low failure rate does put the odds in the consumers favor and in this day and age, repairing of TVs is becoming rarer no matter what brand it is.

That's a fair assessment. However, I have experienced a Vizio purchase first hand and based on that experience alone, quality and customer service, I would never purchase another one, nor recommend one. I even won a Vizio at one time and donated it to a women's shelter, and it promptly died after 6 months. I'm sure there are some very happy Vizio customer's out there and I'm happy for them. But for me, purchasing a Vizio is too much of a crap shoot compared to other mfrs (who do have their own set of issues as well). Just read thru the Vizio threads. And I take any online reviewer, CNET, CR, etc with a grain of salt. This is where to come for the real reviews.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M3d470kd 47 Inch 240 Hz Class Theater 3d Edge Lit Razor Led Lcd Hdtv With Vizio Internet Apps
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page