Big Dilemma need help choosing my replacement TV. Pioneer Kuro 60" Busted! Long. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi Everyone,
So as the title says my Pioneer PDP-6020FD is basically busted. Came home one day and it just did not light up.
No i bought this set at Future Shop ( like Best Buy in Canada ) and bought the warranty. So i now have a 5000$ credit to buy a new set.
Nowadays that's a lot of money for a tv set!
But i'm very confused on what to get.
After lots of back and forth i've decided to not go Plasma this time around. I'm a huge Plasma fan but considering my set is in a extremely bright room it was becoming more and more frustrating to watch tv during the day. So my plasma days are over unfortunately.
Was dead set on getting the Panny ZT 65" but that set is now out of the game.

So i feel that 60" was getting to small and wanted to go BIG! I was thinking the 240hz Sharp 80" but after seeing the image in store i know i will regret my choice.
Coming from the King of image quality the Sharp set was just too way off in terms of image quality.
So i'm left with sadly 65" only unless i go for the Samsung 75" which is like 10k. Even though i'd get a big discount my goal here is not to add money.
So now that all the new sets are coming out i really don't know what to get.
Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. I know i want to go with a 2013 set.
So i've narrowed down to either Samsung or Sony. Given what i've read they're the best LED sets on the market.
Either the Sony XBR-65X900A or the Samsung UN65F8000.
First off the price of the Samsung seems to be pretty much set around 3700$ and the Sony 4k 65" price is nowhere to be found.
Does anyone have any idea what the street price will be on that set and if not do you guys think it will exceed 5000$?

Any help and info on these two sets will be greatly appreciated.
Are these the top 2 on the market this year? ( not taking into account the Panny since i know it's probably the best PQ but given the lighting conditions can't go plasma).
Coming from a Pioneer and the fact that i have a 5000$ store credit what would you all do?

Thank You all in advance for you help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?
post #3 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 270
The best led sets on the market are the Sharp Elite Pro and the Sony XBR HX950, both are Full Array Local Dimming. The ones you posted are Edge-Lit LEDs.
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-xbr-84x900/4505-6482_7-35431618.html

The Sony 4K 84XBR900 cost €25.000 wink.gif
http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/sony-xbr-84x900/4505-6482_7-35431618.html
post #4 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post

I was thinking the 240hz Sharp 80" but after seeing the image in store i know i will regret my choice.
Coming from the King of image quality the Sharp set was just too way off in terms of image quality.

I can’t speak from direct experience, but from the Sharp threads here (actually all the TV threads), the general consensus seems to be that you cannot adequately judge the PQ with a random drive by to a display in a store. You have to know what the settings were, know the quality of the input, etc.

Taking your own input device and files and adjusting the settings in the store seems to be the recommended method.

Bottom Line: if the Sharp 80” is the best fit “on paper”, maybe you should give it another chance (assuming you did not play with the settings last time and confirmed you were not looking at a cable source split 100 times across the whole store showroom).
post #5 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks For the reply!
The sony HX950 is something i looked at but it seems to be a 2012 model...
I have been reading a little on edge lit versus back lit but still can't underastand it too too well.
That 4k 84'' Sony is phenomenal!! But at 25,000$ definitely out of mu budget
post #6 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

I definitely agree that things look very different in a store then at home but i did spend a bit of time at my friend's house who has the 70'' Sharp and it doesn't seem all that great...
I mean i do have 30 days return policy so i can always try it out.
Still worried though that nothing will compare to my Pioneer in terms of PQ.
Though as much as PQ is important i'm also a huge techie and love all the new goodies TV's have to offer now a days.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 02:06 PM

I would get the 65" Samsung F8000's just being released now. UN65F8000 to be exact. IMO it is going to be one of the top LED TV's of the year. The pricing from what has been heard from Best Buy will come in under $4,500 US.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
to summarize edge lit versus full back lit: edge lit will generally (but not universally, e.g. elites) have non-uniformity issues (clouding, flashlighting), but good blacks. full back lit will have good uniformity, and possibley sacrifice blacks. local dimming improves full backlit blacks.
post #9 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

That's mostly what i'm leaning towards.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-19-2013, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanation. Suprising that Samsung who from my readings is considered to be one of the best LED sets on the market use Edge
post #11 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 19
depending on the size you want, I'd not shy away from the latest generation panasonic plasmas. the matte screen is great in bright rooms and you can get up to a 65''. they're plenty bright in terms of light output. with lcd's nonuniformity issues aside, lcd's will also have issues with side angle viewing and motion. plasmas you'll have to play the buzzing lottery. Best,
jeff
post #12 of 13 Old 03-20-2013, 12:41 PM

I'm in the same bandwagon as you are, the only difference being my budget is $4000 instead of $5000. And I REALLY, REALLY want to upgrade at least to a 75 or 80 inch. I have looked hard and long at the sets you describe. The samsung set is already out of the question (It's like 8 grand here in the U.S. 7 grand if you're lucky). So that only leaves the sharp, and I was already set on that one, until I ready some lukewarm reviews about it's picture quality and decided not to go for it. (Let alone aesthetically is just fugly in my opinion). And I also want 3d, so that left basically with no options. However, something I completely ruled out in the past might be the answer this time: Vizio. I had a HORRIBLE experience with in the past. I purchased one of their sets and it happened to die A WEEK after the warranty expired, and they refused to give me any leeway whatsoever. So I paid $400 bucks to repair it. Replaced the motherboard. And a few days later, It died AGAIN. Called the tech back, and it was the motherboard again. So the shop that sold me the motherboard gave me a discount, and I ordered a second motherboard, and it damaged it in less than a week. This think was a motherboard killer, pretty much beyond redemption, so that was a total loss. And I swore I would never touch a vizio TV again, not even with a 10 foot pole. Fast forward to today, and my "I want an 80 inch 3d TV and only have 4 grand available" conundrum". Then I found out the vizio M series had been announced. See here:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/vizio-2013-hdtv-4k-m-series-xvt/

So that peaked my curiosity, but amongst all the things I've read about vizio lately, this by Sam Biddle from Gizmodo stood out:

"Simply, I doubt anyone will be able to tell the difference between a 70-inch Vizio and a 70-inch [Expensive LCD Brand] side by side"

So it appears to me that Vizio has stepped up their game lately. And the M series looks gorgeous, the thin bezel looks amazing, and the street price for the 80 inch of $4500, puts it right at my price range. So now, I'm seriously tempted to purchased this bad boy once Costco starts carrying it. I actually intend to purchase a Coctso membership just to buy the Tv from them, because my endgame, is this: I'm I'm gonna roll the dice and give Vizio a second shot, I'm sure as heel gonna buy from the place that gives me the best warranty, and I'll pay with AMEX on top of that. So right off the bat, I'll walk out the door with 3 years piece of mind.

There's also a thread here on avs about the Vizio M series, and I will also stop by that thread to gauge the temperature, warranty and customer service wise, from previous vizio owners. Probably I'll just copy and past this post too, see what they think my chances of having another vizio nightmare are, but for what I've read, Vizio is apparently doing things right nowadays.

What if I go for a little bigger screen, just a couple of hundred dollars more, but this is really IT!
post #13 of 13 Old 03-24-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou View Post

Hi Everyone,
So as the title says my Pioneer PDP-6020FD is basically busted. Came home one day and it just did not light up.
No i bought this set at Future Shop ( like Best Buy in Canada ) and bought the warranty. So i now have a 5000$ credit to buy a new set.
Nowadays that's a lot of money for a tv set!
But i'm very confused on what to get.
After lots of back and forth i've decided to not go Plasma this time around. I'm a huge Plasma fan but considering my set is in a extremely bright room it was becoming more and more frustrating to watch tv during the day. So my plasma days are over unfortunately.
Was dead set on getting the Panny ZT 65" but that set is now out of the game.

So i feel that 60" was getting to small and wanted to go BIG! I was thinking the 240hz Sharp 80" but after seeing the image in store i know i will regret my choice.
So i'm left with sadly 65" only unless i go for the Samsung 75" which is like 10k. Even though i'd get a big discount my goal here is not to add money.
So now that all the new sets are coming out i really don't know what to get.
Any advice here would be greatly appreciated. I know i want to go with a 2013 set.
So i've narrowed down to either Samsung or Sony. Given what i've read they're the best LED sets on the market.
Either the Sony XBR-65X900A or the Samsung UN65F8000.
First off the price of the Samsung seems to be pretty much set around 3700$ and the Sony 4k 65" price is nowhere to be found.
Does anyone have any idea what the street price will be on that set and if not do you guys think it will exceed 5000$?

Any help and info on these two sets will be greatly appreciated.
Are these the top 2 on the market this year? ( not taking into account the Panny since i know it's probably the best PQ but given the lighting conditions can't go plasma).
Coming from a Pioneer and the fact that i have a 5000$ store credit what would you all do?

Thank You all in advance for you help.

I would add the samsung pn64f8500 to your lost. It's black levels at a minimum match the 9g kuros and it can reach peak brightness comparable to an led.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Pioneer Pdp 6020fd 60 Inch Class Kuro Plasma Hdtv , Sony
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page