TV as Room Picture - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am considering purchase of probably a 60". I believe I've got it narrowed down to Samsung or Sharp. Leaning towards a Samsung ES6100 or ES6500 right now. I was wondering if either of those brands (or the others) are able to use the TV as a room picture when the TV is off? And if so, which models can do this? I'm sure there are apps that can do that. Do the apps rotate the picture every XX minutes to avoid burn-in? And you have to choose 4 or 5 pictures for the TV to alternate between? It seems I had read that Sharp has come out with this as a factory feature, so I would think burn-in with them would not be a concern. But I don't know if they have to alternate the picture or not. And no idea what models may have this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, what's the easiest way to get web browsing wirelessly on the TV? Do I just need to be sure the TV I purchase has WiFi built in to be able to do this (without buying add-ons)? Will this also allow me to play any music or videos I have stored on the computer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by jb2c View Post

I am considering purchase of probably a 60". I believe I've got it narrowed down to Samsung or Sharp. Leaning towards a Samsung ES6100 or ES6500 right now. I was wondering if either of those brands (or the others) are able to use the TV as a room picture when the TV is off? And if so, which models can do this? I'm sure there are apps that can do that. Do the apps rotate the picture every XX minutes to avoid burn-in? And you have to choose 4 or 5 pictures for the TV to alternate between? It seems I had read that Sharp has come out with this as a factory feature, so I would think burn-in with them would not be a concern. But I don't know if they have to alternate the picture or not. And no idea what models may have this. Any advice would be appreciated.

Also, what's the easiest way to get web browsing wirelessly on the TV? Do I just need to be sure the TV I purchase has WiFi built in to be able to do this (without buying add-ons)? Will this also allow me to play any music or videos I have stored on the computer?
For this purpose, buy an LED HDTV of a good brand name rather than the cheap ones. They tend to consume less power and tend to be more durable for 24/7 operation (e.g. restaurant menuboards and better-functioning airport boards). Many major restaurants and airports that use HDTV's as digital menu boards, tend to nowadays choose the good japanese brands for the reasons of longevity in continuous operation, energy efficiency, resistance to fading, and lack of burn-in, after previous bad experiences with running older HDTV's 24/7. Check reliability records too. The longevity record of newer LED HDTV's (built using good components) have been stellar during 24/7 operation, but beware of cheaply manufactured models. The brands you mentioned seem to be OK, but maybe get the 3-year extended warranty just in case, especially if you operate the TV for all 25,000+ hours for that time period.

-- (cheap) You can buy a $99 media player box such as AppleTV and program your universal remote to switch it to AppleTV slideshow mode whenever the OFF button is pressed. This may require a macro, which is unweidly.

-- (variable) Some TV's have a built in photo slideshow player. Some are easy to activate, others are hard to activate. Whether these modes can be easily automated by a single button press (like OFF on a universal remote), depends on the model. Research the TV.

-- (most reliable) You can buy a miniature computer like a low-end FitPC (cased) or Raspberry PI (barebones), and put it on one of your HDMI inputs. These are tiny DVD-sized boxes that can velcro behind your TV, if you wish. Those tiny computers consume only about 5 watts so you can run them as slideshow players 24/7. You can just plop your pictures into a shared folder on your network (from any other computer at home) to easily deliver new content to the slideshow player over its built-in WiFi.
Make your "OFF" button automatically instead switch to the HDMI input of the continuously-running slideshow player.
Make your "ON" button automatically switch back to your receiver's HDMI input.

Alternatively, you can also run it as part-time slideshow using a separate button too. (OFF at night, ON during part of day, etc)

Thanks,
Mark Rejhon

www.BlurBusters.com

BlurBusters Blog -- Eliminating Motion Blur by 90%+ on LCD for games and computers

Rooting for upcoming low-persistence rolling-scan OLEDs too!

post #3 of 4 Old 03-21-2013, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mark, thanks very much. Sounds like you really know your stuff. Would you lean towards the Samsung or the Sharp? Any idea which model Sharp has the picture feature? I'm sure I read recently that the new Sharps have that feature built in.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-22-2013, 06:45 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone??
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page