OFFICIAL Insignia NS-65D260A13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 39 Old 03-21-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have been looking for a 65" to 70" TV for the past 3 months. I am looking at LCD only because I do a lot of gaming. I was wondering if anyone owns or has seen the Insignia 65" NS-65D260A13 at Best Buy? I am looking for a basic TV with no smart apps or 3D. I was thinking this might be a good TV for the money.

Any thoughts?

Teddy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 03-25-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Toshiba 65HT2U 65" Class LCD HDTV - 1080p, 120Hz, HDMI, USB, DynaLight
NIB $999. 97 at Tiger Direct List price is about 1500.00
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1275032&SRCCODE=WEBGOOPA&cm_mmc_o=mH4CjC7BBTkwCjCV1-CjCE&gclid=CLKogc_ymLYCFQhxQgodWVUA
no affil.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #3 of 39 Old 03-30-2013, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Below is a review I have posted for the TV, if anyone is interested.

Just had the TV delivered today. Final verdict is it is a steal for the money. Right now it is going for less than $1,000 and it is worth quite a bit more than that. I would suggest the extended warranty because this model is quite new. Although I always buy the warranty on TVs.

I have been looking for a 65" - 70" TV to replace my 6 year old 50" Panasonic plasma. Although the plasma works fine I wanted something larger for my living room because my seating distance is over 12". I was considering another plasma but I am concerned with the heat a 65" plasma would give out and I have heard the newest Panasonic plasmas are more prone to image retention. I decided an LED LCD would be better. Below is some other TVs I was considering.

*Samsung 65" EH6000 - $1,700

*Panasonic 65" S60 Plasma - $1,500

*Vizio 65" - $1,300

*Vizio 70" - $1,600

*Sharp 70" - $2,000

*Sony KDL-70R520a - $2,500

*Panasonic 65" E60 LCD - $2,500

As you can see there is nothing around $1,000. The Vizio is close but you could add a high end Roku for $100 and it would be better than any TVs smart apps. All the TVs above do not have 3D.

Below is a list of pros and cons. Although I had a hard time finding any cons.

Pros:

1. Great picture. Colors are good, plenty of brightness. Motion seems to be fine, although I did turn off all motion enhancements. Backlight uniformity seems decent. Better than most I have seen in the stores. Based on the TV thickness, I would not be surprised if this is an LED backlit or directlit and not edgelit. There does not seem to be any light leakage in the corners.

2. The 120HZ setting bug does not seem to happen on this set like another Insignia model. I tested this visually and it seemed to keep my motion setting after a poweroff.

3. Video game lag is not an issue. I turned off all the enhancements (Motion, Contrast and auto Backlight which I do to calibrate anyway, they seems to cause more picture harm than good on most TVs) Tried some Xbox 360 and noticed no lag. Seemed to work great with a few different games.

4. Audio seems fine even with the speakers in the back. I use a Stereo for Video Games and Movies anyway.

5. Build quality is great. I really like the large stand. Some of the Vizios have such a small stand it is scary.

Cons:

1. The one issue i noticed is the TV does not seem to pass the Blacker Than Black signal. I calibrated using the Digital Video Essentials Bluray and noticed this. I tried every mode and setting on my Bluray player and the TV with the same result. Although I do not consider this a big issue, it can make calibration a little tricky.

2. There is some vertical banding, but you really have to look for it. This seems like a commen LED LCD issue.

Overall I am quite happy.

Teddy
post #4 of 39 Old 03-31-2013, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 465 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Glad you like lt seems like a good price for 65

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #5 of 39 Old 04-06-2013, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i just bought it, have it delivered Wednesday. I played with the picture settings for a while at the store and am positive i can make it look really good once it gets here. Was really hesitant about buying Insignia brand but for less than $1000 it was just too tempting.
post #6 of 39 Old 04-07-2013, 08:48 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome to the club Slicklorat. It seems there is not a lot of interest in this TV. I think it is a steal for the cost.

Are you familiar with TV calibration? In the past I have used the DVE Basics Blu-ray. This worked great for my plasma and some older TVs. The DVE disc worked good on the Insignia other than the color pattern. It seems when I use the blue filter to calibrate color, the reds are way too hot. Possibly the greens are too. The funny thing is I have noticed this on other LCDs. Unfortunately, the TV has no way to adjust RGB independently. I have ordered the Disney WOW disc hoping it has a better way to calibrate color.

Teddy
post #7 of 39 Old 04-09-2013, 10:14 AM

ha - picking up WOW today :-), i used to take settings from here or CNET for my other TVs and adjust to my liking but since there is nothing out there i decided to get the disk, people seem to like the results across a wide range of TVs. I will probably use it to redo the settings on my plasma and the old lcd as well. Oh, and for all it's worth according to the guy at BB this model is made by Samsung - this might or might not be accurate i guess.
post #8 of 39 Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 AM

Just picked this up yesterday at BB during sale. I am VERY picky about televisions, this is my 4th try this year (started with 70" Vizio, 60" Samsung ST60 plasma, Samsung 65" F6400). I must say I am VERY impressed with uniformity. Also, the remote controls PS3.
I didn't have a lot of chance to work on settings last night, but it looked pretty good. I have the Disney WOW disc and another calibration disc, will work on it this weekend and post settings. I am VERY impressed. Even at 3 times the price, I don't think there's currently anything else out there. The only issue I had was low frequency buzzing like a plasma, not sure why-may be loose circuit board? Would love it if anyone else could comment on buzzing with their sets. Also, very poor energy efficiency, uses as much electricity as a plasma according to the sticker. Surprising for an LED set.
post #9 of 39 Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 PM

no buzzing here - i only used WOW so if you can post some of your settings it would be highly appreciated. So far i am fairly happy with the set - it def depends on the signal - blu ray looks great, directv HD is hit or miss (mostly good but sometimes i wonder), streaming from pc looks great, online streaming can be off noise wise. It cannot touch the plasma (50") it replaced in the living room - but size and money paid make up for it - and i get to watch the plasma in the bedroom :-)
post #10 of 39 Old 05-27-2013, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Still enjoying my TV. It is nice to see others are starting to buy this model.

I have used the WOW and DVE Blu-ray discs to calibrate. Below is the settings I have settled on. Feel free to comment and share your own.

A quick comment first. I was having trouble getting the color calibrated. I was using the Custom preset. What I found is that custom is not its own preset. It is copied from the last preset you started to modify. I tested all the presets and only Standard has the correct color. Be sure to start modifying Standard, and it will automatically switch you to custom.

Preset: Standard
Brightness: 50
Contrast: 48
Color: 52

DCM: Low (I found this helps to keep the backlight dimmed on a black or almost black screen when watching in the dark.)
Backlight: 30 (I like the picture bright.)
Insignia Motion: Off (Can't stand the motion "enhancements".)
Aspect Ratio: Wide
Color Temp: Normal (I like the whites to look white)
Overscan: On (If you turn this off, none of the zoom modes work)
Noise Reduction: Off
Tint: 0 (The color calibrates perfect at 0)
Sharpness: 30
Adaptive Contrast: Off (Seems to cause more harm than good)

The only setting I am messing with still is the Sharpness. Just curious what setting others are using?

Teddy
Brad Bartlett likes this.
post #11 of 39 Old 05-27-2013, 07:46 PM

right now this is what i have... still messing around though...

Brightness 50
Contrast 48
color 46
backlight 18 - coming from plasma everything else seems too bright
sharpness 44
tint 0
ratio wide
temp normal

all enhancements off

Thomas
post #12 of 39 Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 PM

Liked: 10
Just bought this at Best Buy for 1099 but curious what you guys in this thread have been enjoying it or not. Bought a Vizio Smart TV, and this was only a little more so worked it out as an exchange / delivery on Monday.

I only use Netflix, wondering if this will be sufficient with a roku, or something to get it to play that?

Also, does anyone have the width of the stand? I'm assuming it doesn't swivel so have to move it around. The price is certainly right! Thanks.
post #13 of 39 Old 06-21-2013, 10:31 PM

just wall-mounted it today so i have the stand right here :-) 27.5x12.5 it is, and you are correct - no swivel - I am still liking it, value is hart to beat, still messing around with my settings every now and then but I am getting close...
post #14 of 39 Old 06-21-2013, 10:49 PM

Thanks, that really helped I have a wood piece that I made for the last tv, to make it higher, but its not that wide. But depending on how it looks might have just an inch cut off from the chair next to it.

From looking at other tvs online 60 and up none seem to swivel assuming it has to do with weight, safety.

With this large of a screen and also since so much is broadcast in widescreen it might be okay. Everyone I know that didn't get the biggest tv they could regrets it!

Rather rearrange furniture. Also I'm assuming you turned off the motion control, or like the vizio has is "smooth" cinema? I like things to look real, not soap opera. And light to stay fairly constant or bright. Happy Best Buy is taking the vizio back, the apps weren't that great and seeing the size of it (60) compared to 65 is a huge difference!

Thanks again, Monday can't come soon enough to get it...
post #15 of 39 Old 06-24-2013, 11:26 AM

Just got the tv today! Since having the vizio smart tv 60 inch for two weeks and exchanging, can tell the difference right away.

For the price it is great! The picture looks good, turned off the Insignia Motion under advanced video settings to off, so its not super smooth but the way its supposed to look.

The sound is what it is for this size and slim and relatively lightweight. Could use a sound bar in the future but still trying to get the optimal setting, which is alot better in Netflix for some reason.

If you want it smart, buy a roku or similar add on to get everything. I got the roku 3 and its superfast with tons of apps. And wifi so no reason to spend so much to have it built in, this is by far the best tv for the price!
post #16 of 39 Old 06-27-2013, 06:58 PM

What's up everybody? I have been checking out stuff on avs for awhile but just joined because I too just bought the D260 an hour ago and cannot say how impressed I am. Had a Samsung and loved the picture but just did not trust Samsung anymore. Great buy on the tv and looks like it will do the job for us. Thanks for the positive reviews on this; I was suffering paralysis from analysis. Good on you all.
post #17 of 39 Old 06-27-2013, 07:12 PM

Still liking it, yeah the price is right. On high def you can walk right up to it and its amazing, just added a sound bar which isn't right below it and wish the speakers on the tv were on too, but the sound is actually pretty decent on the tv by itself so maybe didn't even need it, which is easy to switch back and forth.

Also tried turning on Dynamic Backlight on High under advanced video settings and its bright! Have fun with your purchase, seen some 55 inch smart for the same price, Roku is fast to add and gives you tons of smart apps via wifi.
post #18 of 39 Old 08-28-2013, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 342
I just calibrated and spent some time with one of these. I'm planning on writing a review here this week. For right now I'll just say I was shocked. tongue.gif
post #19 of 39 Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM

i hope in a good way
post #20 of 39 Old 08-28-2013, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 342
The Insignia NS-65D260A13 is all about getting the most picture for your money. Want to check out some 3D? You'll have to go to a friend's house. Some people might even call it a "dumb" TV... But getting a solid performing, large screen display for less sounds a lot smarter to me than any of the latest apps.

The Insignia's screen, while lacking the mirror like sheen of the super glossy screens, does pick up quite a bit of glare in certain situations. As with most LED TVs, it would be best to avoid harsh lighting in front of the screen, though an otherwise bright room can be manageable thanks to the TV's healthy maximum brightness.

It does seem more tolerant of viewing angle than most other LED sets. Colors and contrast held up well farther off to the sides, above, and below than what I normally see from the latest Sharps, Sonys, and Samsungs. At a normal to far viewing distances, everyone seated on a couch centered in front of the TV should get very similar picture quality.

Before calibration:

Before making any picture adjustments, I took a few notes of how the various picture modes looked at a first quick glance. Then I measured each mode with an i1D3 meter profiled off the Insignia with a Jeti reference spectroradiometer.

Vivid mode was severely lacking in shadow detail - in other words, dark objects in the image sunk down into a black blob. Whites, on the other hand, were both blazingly bright and blended together in an interesting mix of gaudiness and flatness. The picture looked highlighted, etched, and very grainy, and people looked chronically sunburnt.

Standard looked like the opposite of Vivid: it appeared washed out. Instead of shadow detail being too dark, dark objects were easy to see, even a bit too bright. Skin tones were more realistic, though they leaned toward pale and pink. Overall, Standard gave a less offensive but flat and pale presentation.

Energy Savings looked very similar to Vivid mode.

Theater was grainy and etched, though not as much as Vivid. Shadow detail was surprisingly good, and color looked decent overall though skin tones were a little too pink.

Game mode appeared similar to Vivid but with more shadow detail- which was tinted a bit red, with dark suits and hair acquiring some reddish tinges. I also observed some picture fluctuation and instability in Game mode.

Custom was similar to Vivid, but with slightly less blended whites.

Calibration:

The Insignia lacks the fine calibration controls of it's generally higher priced competition. Standard adjustments included brightness, contrast, and color. Under advanced settings were dynamic backlight (DCR), backlight, Insignia Motion 120Hz, aspect ratio, color temperature (with three non adjustable presets: cool, normal, and warm), overscan, noise reduction, tint, sharpness, and adaptive contrast.

With overscan turned off, every line of 1080P resolution was visible, though vertical resolution was a bit soft.

After calibration with backlight at it's midpoint and dynamic backlight turned off, contrast ratio measured 5289:1, with a black level of .0082 fL and a white level of 43.37 fL. That is very, very impressive performance for a non local dimming LED. In fact, it bests what I have measured from recent Sharp and Samsung models.

Visually, the blacks were extremely uniform and very dark for a non dimming LED, with absolutely no visible clouding or other issues. Uniformity of whites and grays was not quite as perfect, looking very slightly darker at the top and bottom, but only with test patterns. No uniformity problems were visible with normal content.

The Insignia Motion 120Hz control includes a setting for 24P film mode, though I could not see much if any advantage to using it over just leaving the control off. Both 24P mode and off produced pans and motion that were a little choppy for my taste with films. All the other settings of the control, with the exception of off, produced the uber-smooth soap opera effect.

The different color temp presets had different gamma characteristics, with warm giving the best results for a night mode and normal giving results that could be useful in a day mode.

The Insignia clipped blacker than black, and also shaved off whiter than white headroom above about level 245 with HDMI. Neither offense is serious at all in my opinion. It also appeared to suffer from severe black crush over the composite input.

Adjusting any picture mode automatically turns it into Custom mode. I found that which mode I started with made a significant difference with how that mode ended up performing as Custom. When I began the calibration, I began in Theater mode, since it was one of the best looking modes, and traditionally theater or cinema type modes provide good starting points. However, even after adjusting white balance in the service menu, grayscale tracking and color saturation tracking - magenta in particular - of the Theater based Custom mode were poor. In addition, with certain HDMI color spaces there was some quirkiness with the tint control. I was beginning to believe the Insignia's budget status carried over to it's performance in very unflattering ways.

To my great relief, I found that starting in Standard mode provided a much more accurate foundation. In fact, after service menu adjustment, Standard based Custom mode performance was not just good for it's class, it was shockingly impressive! While gamma measured on the low side, meaning that some mid tones were a little exaggerated in brightness, in every other way the Insignia's performance was excellent. Error levels were low for grayscale tracking, color saturation sweeps, gamut luminance sweeps, and color checker. In fact, the maximum dE2000 of any of those measurements combined was only 2.4. Some home theater receivers from Onkyo and others have simple gamma adjustments which could wring that last ounce of improvement out of the Insignia's gamma.

I found that with manipulation of white balance settings in the service menu, I could make Standard based Custom mode a good night mode and unmodified Standard mode an acceptable, though grainy, day mode.

For owners who do not wish to get a professional service menu calibration, a good picture can be obtained by starting in Standard mode, changing color temperature to warm, and carefully adjusting the remaining controls with a test disc.

Conclusion:

The Insignia needs careful adjustment to look its best, but the results can be amazing. Colors were both accurate and pleasant, contrast was superb for the technology used, and images were smooth and lifelike.

After calibrating more expensive models from Sharp, LG, Samsung, Vizio, and Sony, I am shocked at how the Insignia's performance can often better the competition, or, at the very least, never embarrass itself. I believe this TV can be the foundation of an outstanding home theater.
post #21 of 39 Old 09-23-2013, 06:04 AM

Hey Guys - I purchased the 65" Insignia about 2 months ago when I moved into a new place. For the most part, I really like it and think it was a great value for the money. The picture seems to be a little grainy at times but that could be the settings and/or the cable signal in my complex. Other than that, I'm very happy with it.

My only problem is when I went to hook up my old Nintendo 64 it didnt seem to recognize when it was plugged into the component input. I turned off the auto-recognize feature and tried to go to the component input again but it still didnt display any audio or video. After doing some research, it sounds like this model just does not recognize any signal under a certain quality.

It's not a huge deal but I had planned to hook up my N64 and old NES system to this TV but now it doesnt seem like that is possible. Just wondering if anyone has been able to hook up an older console to theirs? Some have suggested using an RF modulator, which I plan to try but havent been able to yet.

Let me know if anyone has any info on getting this to work on this model. Thanks!
post #22 of 39 Old 10-07-2013, 12:54 PM

So is this model backlit or edgelit?
post #23 of 39 Old 10-30-2013, 12:42 PM

Hey folks. Just bought this baby at best buy. I have noticed that the 120hz setting cuases some "clear watery like" edges at times during certain types of shows. Is this normal. I like it on for sports but during comercials it seems to show this type of occurrence which can be annoying. Also for Chad - what settings did you come up with? Looks like you did a very extensive calibration. Thanks in advance for any replies.
post #24 of 39 Old 12-25-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
I picked this model up on closeout on Christmas Eve morning to replace my secondary set mounted behind my drop down projector screen. The Panasonic plasma that was mounted there was over 10 years old and weighed over 100 lbs. (50"/720p) I gave it to my daughter when she moved into a house rather than an apartment as her 32" LCD was too small for her new living room. I originally thought I would do away with the secondary set as projectors and lamps have come down in price a lot in 10 years. However, my wife likes the ease of a regular TV and at the closeout price I got ($850) I couldn't pass it up. I was able to tune it with DVE today, and it is certainly acceptable for a budget set as my projector is a great performer for critical viewing.

I would like some info on getting into the service menu to do a full calibration as I have the appropriate tools. However, I have never done so on an Insignia and do not know the procedure to do so.

If I had to live with it as is I could but as an avid AVS'er, why would I?

Living the HT Dream...now in 4D.
post #25 of 39 Old 12-27-2013, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I was able to get decent results from only a DVE calibration. However, there is one area that this set that may be a deal breaker and that is video noise. There seems to be much more noise in the picture in this set than I have ever had before. I am able to tune most of it out by reducing the black level to the absolute lowest setting and still (barely and I mean just barely able to see the 2% above black pattern on DVE). In fact, just one notch up and noise is prevalent again. It still shows up in any less than stellar video- like older DVD transfers or old movies with less than great transfers. I am debating whether or not this is acceptable since the set will only be used for casual viewing- I am sure any other cheap set I buy may have its own issues as well. At least I have the extended holiday returns from Best Buy since I am no longer Reward Zone Silver.

Strengths of this set:

Black levels- good to great
Colors- really good with just a cursory calibration
Sound- some of the best sounding speakers I have ever heard from an LED (thin) set
Size- great bang for the buck
Weight- Nice and light for the size (56lbs)

Weaknesses:

Noise in video- hard to tune out without destroying the picture/black level
Cannot display blacker than black
No advanced calibration settings readily available (although this is the case with all cheaper sets)

post #26 of 39 Old 01-01-2014, 09:15 AM

Liked: 12
My local BB has this model as an Open Box for $860.99. With their 10% Open Box coupon, it would bring it to $775. Worth getting as an upgrade from my Vizio 55" E550VL??? Or should I just stand pat?
post #27 of 39 Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk1974 View Post

My local BB has this model as an Open Box for $860.99. With their 10% Open Box coupon, it would bring it to $775. Worth getting as an upgrade from my Vizio 55" E550VL??? Or should I just stand pat?

I kept mine and that is about what I paid. I am liking it more and more.

post #28 of 39 Old 01-03-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrimore View Post

I kept mine and that is about what I paid. I am liking it more and more.

Thanks for the feedback!

Unfortunately, my local BB already sold that Open Box. Another one 20 miles away has a New/Clearance model for $999 ($899 after coupon). They also have a open box with no stand, remote or power cord for $810 ($729 after coupon), but I'm a little wary about that one. I did see it on display and it did have, what I thought, a nice picture.

The other that caught my eye was the Sharp 60" that is on sale today for $899. I don't need Smart features...trying to evaluate if I want a 65" Insignia or a 60" Sharp or Vizio.
post #29 of 39 Old 01-03-2014, 01:56 PM

What is this coupon of which you speak?
post #30 of 39 Old 01-03-2014, 02:35 PM

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Panasonic Tc L65e60 65 Inch 1080p 120hz Smart Led Hdtv , Xbox 360 Console , Insignia 19 Inch Class Led Hdtv Ns 19e320a13 , Toshiba 65ht2u 65 Inches Lcd Tv 16 9 1080p 120 Hz , Samsung Series 65 Inch Class Led Hdtv Un65eh6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page