LG 55LS4500 or Vizio E500i-a1 or wait. Max budget $700. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-21-2013, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I need to make a decision here. My absolute budget is $700. This TV is for general purpose upstairs and is not going to my movie room. Want a 50 to 55 inch and would like to stay with 120HZ. The LG 55LS4500 is about to be discontinued and is presently heavily discounted and will probably go out of stock forever this weekend. The Vizio E500i-a1 is whats called a core model and will be around a while just under my price limit. No pressure to buy this weekend if I go the Vizio model. Plasma is out, I am at 8000 feet. I do not see a really good reason for LED backlit or edge lit if I can save a lot of money and gets the same picture quality. Anyone have any thoughts on the need for LED? Seems like all TV’s in this price range have there problems. Both the LG and Vizio seem to have no control over Trumotion/anti-judder and confusion over whether it exists. The Vizio has wifi and the LG does not. The Vizo is true LED backlit where I believe the LG is edge lit. The LG is larger (55”) and is $70 dollars cheaper, but must be purchased this weekend.

Has anyone compared these to see which has the best picture? With a 5 min comparison at the store I just cannot tell much difference. Anyone have any important thoughts over which one I should buy or is it just a toss up. Should I just go back into hiding for a couple of months (about as long as I can wait) and see if anything else turns up? Not sure if there will be more discounts of 2012 models? The Vizio will still be there if I wait.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-21-2013, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 94
You didn't mention your viewing distance. They're both decent enough looking sets. The Vizio is indeed LED-backlit, apparently with some rudimentary type of local dimming (which, according to CNet, doesn't work), but it's smaller. I am pretty sure they're both actually 60hz TVs with some type of backlight scanning. LG is known for doing this, and the Vizio lists a "120Hz effective refresh rate. The Vizio should offer better backlight uniformity, but I have seen both and can't really discern a major difference between the two. I would go for the LG -- the TV will tend to shrink a bit after you get it, so it's always good to buy as big as you can afford. Take the $70 you save and put it towards a Blu-Ray player/streaming box or something for decent sound (they both sound pretty abysmal).

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #3 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Viewing distance will be 7.5 to 8 feet for one chair and 9 to 9.5 for the other chair. The 7.5 ft will give about 30 degree viewing angle for 55” which will work out great for HD movies. I will probably bring up a spare Blu ray player and 5.1 receivers from the movie room. As far as off angle viewing, the chair centers seem to be about 20 to 25 degrees apart. So if I center, each person would be about 10 to 12 degrees off center. But again this is a general purpose TV. About 80% of the viewing will be satellite, lights on; don’t care about quality, with some non HD material. I wonder if maybe 7.5 ft is to close, especially for any satellite non HD material. Maybe I should just tell the wife to use the 9ft chair.
post #4 of 5 Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 AM

LG 55LS4500 Just brought this at walmart for $448 for 75 year old mother-in-law.
eden, nc
post #5 of 5 Old 09-02-2013, 09:45 AM

Liked: 11
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E500i A1 50 Inch Led Smart Fhdtv
Gear in this thread - E500i by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page