Toshiba 50L2200U vs. Panasonic TC-L50EM5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
ok guys, I'm about ready to hang myself with the screen uniformity issues of my LG 55LM4600... wild flashlighting and I can't exchange it since my costco sold them out, so returning and buying a different one is the only choice I have. I'd LIKE a 55 incher, but nothing in my price range that I paid for the LG so I may have to go with a 50 incher.

now I'm deciding between the Toshiba and the Panny. I've always like Panny TV's but the L50EM5 is an edge lit model and I'm worried about uniformity and the Toshiba is backlit (albeit builkier, but who cares, it's going on a wall) so uniformity isn't as big of an issue. This sucker is going to be a gaming and television TV in the bedroom. Any thoughts on the two?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 96
I have never seen the Panasonic 50EM5, but I did buy a 50L2200U as a gift for a family member and helped adjust/pseudo-calibrate it a few months ago. I found it to be a great bang-for-the-buck TV. Excellent overall uniformity from being backlit, although the one i bought did have one minor bright spot in the lower-left corner, but it was so minor that it didn't bother during dark scenes or letterboxed content. The L2200U exhibited excellent overall contrast good black levels for such a budget TV. Motion was present but overall pretty minor. I did not try it with any video games, though. If the Panasonic really is edge-lit, then I'd say that would definitely tip the scales in the Toshiba's favor.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Sony KDL-32W650A, Sony BDP-S1000ES, Marantz PM8004, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Sennheiser HD598
lr Panasonic 50" ST60, Sony BDP-S5100, Apple TV
pc Energy CB-5, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
post #3 of 5 Old 03-22-2013, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

I have never seen the Panasonic 50EM5, but I did buy a 50L2200U as a gift for a family member and helped adjust/pseudo-calibrate it a few months ago. I found it to be a great bang-for-the-buck TV. Excellent overall uniformity from being backlit, although the one i bought did have one minor bright spot in the lower-left corner, but it was so minor that it didn't bother during dark scenes or letterboxed content. The L2200U exhibited excellent overall contrast good black levels for such a budget TV. Motion was present but overall pretty minor. I did not try it with any video games, though. If the Panasonic really is edge-lit, then I'd say that would definitely tip the scales in the Toshiba's favor.

gotcha, yeah, the uniformity was one thing I was wanting. my 55LM4600 IS 3D, but that's something I don't get a rats patooty over. just will miss the 55 inch size vs. a 50 incher frown.gif.... but the flashlighting is so bad that if I'm watching anything dark it's so distracting I have to almost stop watching. Haven't tried a toshiba tv before so I'm not sure how reliable they are hardware wise vs. LG, but If I can find one in store to test I''d probably jump on it
post #4 of 5 Old 03-24-2013, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree about the Toshiba 50l2200u. I just purchased one from Walmart for $498 to replace my old 42" 1080p Insignia LCD. The picture quality out of the box is poor, but once you tweak a few settings it improves massively. Now that i have it dialed in, it looks excellent.

Solid blacks, good shadow detail, solid motion performance for a 60hz TV, good colors, great screen uniformity - all on a 50 inch screen. Compared to my 1080p LCD Insignia, the picture just really pops and has more of a plasma look to it.

There are some weaknesses:

- Cheap remote that needs to be pointed directly at sensor
- Flimsy stand that allows TV to wobble (i plan on mounting mine soon since i have a toddler)
- Audio is not the best (but i use a receiver with Polk speakers, so this didn't matter at all to me as i turned the TV speakers off)

For the price you would be hard pressed to find a better looking 50" 1080p TV.
post #5 of 5 Old 03-24-2013, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Toshiba 50l2200u 50 Inch 120hz Led Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic 50 Inch 60hz Led Lit Tv Tc L50em5
Gear in this thread - 50l2200u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page