Should I take this apart? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here's the story:
I just got a Sony Bravia 46EX645 as a gift. It was a great upgrade from my 27 inch sony trinitron lol. I had lots of issues with the internet content and sony replaced the main board. Issues didn't resolve and they realized they should have replaced the network card. The part was on order so they said they would send me a replacement unit instead because they didn't want me to wait. I thought, perfect. Score one for Sony trying to do things right. Well the new unit came and the wireless works great! But unfortunately just off center in the new (refurbed) unit is a stuck red hot pixel glaring at me during every dark scene. I have a week to return this old tv.

What I'm thinking:
I have to return the product with the serial number of my old tv, so I can't just swap the wireless card. But I was thinking maybe I could swap the display portion of my old tv with this new (refurbed) one. Not only would that resolve the bad pixel, but also I know there aren't many hours on that display and there are an unknown number on this new (refurbed) one. What are your thoughts? I've never opened up a tv but from building my own computer, to fixing cars and changing an lcd in a laptop, I think I might be able to pull this off. Just wondering what your opinions were.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 10:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 12
Call them you should have no trouble since they already know they changed your serial number.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
You shouldn't have to do that. Not to mention, you violate the warranty by opening either of them up. Just call them back, explain the problem with the stuck pixel, and hopefully they send another unit.
post #4 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Well the decision was made for me. As soon as I got home I realized my wife took care of the box and had fedex come and get it. She thought she was doing me a favor (as well as herself since the box was taking up space). Oh well. Thanks for the input guys. I have my doubts that Sony would be willing to give me yet another unit since their policy is .01% bad pixels. What's that work out to? about 600 sub pixels?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page