Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 850 Old 11-24-2013, 12:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlo010673 View Post

Hello been reading about the panel lottery and would like to know where the panel of my Samsung UA32F5000 came from.

Info from the service menu yielded:

32A6AFOS

Any settings specific for PS3 gaming will be appreciated for it's the only purpose of my F5000.

I use an older Panasonic V20 for movies.

The F5000 is my very first non plasma TV

Thank you very much.

If you have indeed read about it, then you should know already where your panel comes from.
Sorry but I have the feeling people obsession with this is getting out of proportion...
I probably also started out excessivelly worried about this myself, but the truth is that panel lottery is not a bad thing per se, it's very common practise for manufacturers of all kinds of devices to sell parts to other manufacturesrs even competitors.
It just so happens that with LCD panels the optical properties are very sensitive and it's impossible to have such strict manufacturing tolerances so that each and every panel will look exactly the same under the same circumstances.
There are ocasionally some clearly faulty ones, and here ghosting clearly affects Sharp more than others, but considering that a certain selection of panels has an higher probability of working just fine (which is the real scenario for 98% of us when we are about to buy a new TV) there's no reason to favor one manufacturer over the others.
Most accounts written in this forum seem to favor Samsung, but things turn into another direction if we look at other places where either AUO or Sharp are favored... there's no real better or worse panel here.
Different manufacturers wil employ slightly different VA technology into the panels, but they're all fundamentally VA so it's unlikelly to be much difference between any fine working panels.
Improvements in this kind of tech in the last years has been cumulative and subtil and does take time until they start to be notoriously discernible, if at all, on the screen.

Now that you have it with you, you can just look at it and judge (within reason) if it looks good or not.
Have you actually taken the time to do this?
If it looks good there's no need to discriminate what panel is used at all, why would you care?

Anyway 32A6AFOS. A = Samsung panel.

For console gaming, check the 2nd and the 5th posts of the previous page.
I must say I find the F5000 very capable for movies to, and it's USB media player is pretty good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 850 Old 11-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I just wish all manufacturers of TVs and laptops would use the same panel for a given model, regardless of who makes it, so that reviews would be of the same hardware that comsumers are getting and that discussions of a given TV will be of the same hardware. I'm happy with my TV display and did not know before buying it what the panel was going to be. It turned out to be a Samsung, but I wouldn't have cared who made it as long as I liked the way it looked.

My laptop display, on the other hand, is poor and I only found out afterwards that all the glowing reviews of the display on this specific laptop were about a different panel used in the exact same model that I bought. I didn't want to pay the 15% restocking fee so I kept it. They did not consider it covered for a free exchange without the fee since there was no functional defect, so I was stuck with it. If there were only one panel used for a specific model (and size) of TV or laptop, then people could make more informed decisions before buying. There will still be small differences in individual panels and of course there will be a small percentage of bad panels, but overall people would know what to expect.

BTW, the Samsung Black Friday prices are live now on both Best Buy and Amazon in the US (don't know about other countries) for those that were interested.
post #453 of 850 Old 11-24-2013, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post

I think very unsafe considering what I've seen locally. Best Buy usually has Samsung panels but others like Walmart do not.

Thanks! Got it at Best Buy today, panel is a TS01.

post #454 of 850 Old 11-24-2013, 04:10 PM

I also picked up a UN32F5500 for the bedroom today at Best Buy. All the 5500's I saw there were TS01. I returned a UN32EH5000 2 or 3 weeks ago because the picture was not good with my non HD Dishnetwork. It did look good with a BlueRay disc, so I suspect the problem was with my signal. I upgraded my Dish to HD yesterday, and the 5500 looks pretty good, so now the wife is happy.

post #455 of 850 Old 11-24-2013, 09:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 24
Thinking of getting a UN40F5500AFXZA from Best Buy tomorrow ...

Those of you who have or have had this display ... what do you think? Worth getting?
post #456 of 850 Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 102
the 5500s seem to be on sale at amazon. Kinda tempted to get the 32". Was going to for the PS4 but now that the 67" looks great with the PS4 I'm not as tempted. Bah!

Sony KDL-70R550A
Denon x4000 (o)c (0)
Klipsch RF-62IIs
Klipsch RC-62II
Polk T15s
SVS PC12-NSD + Klipsch RW12d
post #457 of 850 Old 11-26-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

Forgot to mention, since you are using your PC DVI output, you might want to rename the HDMI input as"DVI PC" instead of "PC" in your TV and see if anything changes...

Yup, I switched over to DVI PC when using the DVI-to-HDMI cable. That said, I want to say that I think I'm better off going HDMI-to-HDMI. The ghosting is back and is as terrible as ever on the DVI-to-HDMI cable with PC DVI Output on my TV using JPRC's latest settings for PC Mode.. Haven't had the time to sit down and run through all possible permutations of configurations... in the middle of trying to wrap up a 2nd Masters so my focus is elsewhere at the moment.

It seems (dare I say it), that I have better visuals using a HDMI-to-HDMI connection. I'll double check to see without changing anything with JPRC's settings if just simply going with HDMI-to-HDMI resolves this (in possible conjunction with setting my Pixel Format... assuming it returns on my Catalyst Control Center presumably when I return to HDMI exclusively).

post #458 of 850 Old 11-26-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

That means you're not getting full HD signal. That can vary by station and by show. Find a station and show that you know is broadcasting at a high enough resolution and you will get the screen fit option. When you switch to a channel/show with lower resolution signal, it will automatically switch to 16:9.

(kkl10, OTA means Over the Air and is how we get free broadcast stations in the US via antenna.)

No, I think what's going on in my situation is there seems to be an "order to things" where what I pick while in OTA seems to "latch" and subdue what video modes I can choose from when switching to a different input.... or so it seems. I'm definitely getting Full HD in either case.

post #459 of 850 Old 11-27-2013, 08:18 PM

Hey guys. I bought the UN32F5500 from Best Buy last week. Great TV but I've noticed a faint buzzing noise coming from it. Don't know if it was always there but the only way I can hear it is if I mute the TV and go up close. Putting my ear against different areas I can hear the buzzing at the same volume all over the back of the TV. So it is essentially emanating from the whole TV not just one spot. Is it normal? Should I return it?

post #460 of 850 Old 11-28-2013, 02:13 AM
Advanced Member

Picked up the 40F5500 today and out of the box, hooked up to my pc with a dvi to hdmi cable ... the default picture looks pretty bad. Set it to "natural" and tried adjusting contrast, brightness, color and back lighting, but no matter what I do, while watching movies people's faces will have an orange glow that smears or obliterates finer details. In some shots the picture will look pretty good, but in others it is just terrible.

Is there some default setting I need to shut off? Some kind of lighting or color correction or something? I've tried everything under "picture" but the settings there are pretty basic and I haven't been able to fix the glowing orange faces ...

Any and all help, tips, links, etc will be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Switching from "natural" to "movie" made a huge improvement ... no more glowing faces, though colors seem less accurate ...

Any other suggestions to improve default picture quality before I try an actual calibration?
post #461 of 850 Old 11-28-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senek View Post

Hey guys. I bought the UN32F5500 from Best Buy last week. Great TV but I've noticed a faint buzzing noise coming from it. Don't know if it was always there but the only way I can hear it is if I mute the TV and go up close. Putting my ear against different areas I can hear the buzzing at the same volume all over the back of the TV. So it is essentially emanating from the whole TV not just one spot. Is it normal? Should I return it?

No need to return it, it's normal.
I can also hear a very faint sort of high pitched buzz noise in my UE32F5000 when I get up close to it in absolute silence.
I also noticed that the pitch of the noise is different when I change the backlight setting.
I suspect it is inherent to either backlight way of working or something related with the way how PSU powers the backlight or the LCD panel itself... I'm thinking about Pulse Width Modulation but not sure... I also hear it in my PC monitor and here the sound comes and goes depending on what is being displayed on the screen...
On the Samsung, besides this noise I also hear what seems to be the sound of a fan... I'm not sure if the TV has a fan... but it sure sounds like it and it's a bit louder than the high pitched buzzing.
I can't reliably discern the high pitched buzzing from a distance of 1 meter or more, but I can hear the fan-like sound from quite a few meters but it's very faint, far from bothering me, pretty much any other sound in a totally silent room will be louder.
My previous TV was a CRT and it had this obnoxious high frequency buzz that would drive me mad sometimes, I could literally hear it from the other side of the house, this is one of the downfalls of CRT actually.
Switching to LCD was a great relief to my acute ears.
I suspect only people with relatively acute hears could discern the high frequency buzz coming from their F5000 LCDs.
It seems to be a relatively common occurence in LCDs from what i can find on google.
The issue is more problematic in LCD monitors where users sit close to the screen.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/stop_lcd_whine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

Picked up the 40F5500 today and out of the box, hooked up to my pc with a dvi to hdmi cable ... the default picture looks pretty bad. Set it to "natural" and tried adjusting contrast, brightness, color and back lighting, but no matter what I do, while watching movies people's faces will have an orange glow that smears or obliterates finer details. In some shots the picture will look pretty good, but in others it is just terrible.

Is there some default setting I need to shut off? Some kind of lighting or color correction or something? I've tried everything under "picture" but the settings there are pretty basic and I haven't been able to fix the glowing orange faces ...

Any and all help, tips, links, etc will be greatly appreciated!

EDIT: Switching from "natural" to "movie" made a huge improvement ... no more glowing faces, though colors seem less accurate ...

Any other suggestions to improve default picture quality before I try an actual calibration?

Put your TV in PC mode and calibrate the Standard preset.
It has been repeated numerous times in this thread that PC mode is what should be used when connecting a PC or console.
It spares you a lot of hassle.
Please read the thread.
Tangled Cable likes this.
post #462 of 850 Old 11-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Advanced Member

Ah, thanks. Sorry I missed that. If we had a FAQ at the start of this thread it would probably cut down on a lot of the redundant questioning, but you're right, I should go through and read the whole thing.
post #463 of 850 Old 11-28-2013, 05:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senek View Post

Hey guys. I bought the UN32F5500 from Best Buy last week. Great TV but I've noticed a faint buzzing noise coming from it. Don't know if it was always there but the only way I can hear it is if I mute the TV and go up close.

Up close is normal operation; most electronic devices emanate a buzzing sound from the power supply. If you can hear the noise from a few feet away under normal use then it's probably some bad capacitors and you should swap it out.

post #464 of 850 Old 11-30-2013, 03:15 AM

hi guys i have tried to find out what quality panel i have on my Samsung UE42F5000AKXXU but i cant bloody work it out :( please dont be mad haha, can someone help me out pretty please

what does 'R' correspond to, thanks in advance

also i can not select film mode or game mode when the the tv is connected to my computer via hdmi, anyone know why this is, it seems to be Unhighlighted so that i can not select it, i also have a western digital tv live and i can not select film mode when on that hdmi source either, help would be greatly appreciated.

post #465 of 850 Old 11-30-2013, 09:02 AM

The most annoying feature on this tv for me is when I turn it on with my time warner remote I get this annoying screen with STB and On below it. I then have to grab the original samsung remote and press arrow down then enter to get rid of it.

It comes on whenever my cable box is off. so even when I turn the cable box on it remains up overlaying the screen for several minutes unless I manually use its remote to turn it off.

Anyone know how to get rid of this annoying feature?
post #466 of 850 Old 11-30-2013, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Along the lines of the post above, on the 5500 series, is there any way to always go to a TV channel instead of having the "smart" options with a box displaying the last TV channel viewed appear when you turn the TV on? Using OTA only.
post #467 of 850 Old 11-30-2013, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post

Along the lines of the post above, on the 5500 series, is there any way to always go to a TV channel instead of having the "smart" options with a box displaying the last TV channel viewed appear when you turn the TV on? Using OTA only.

You can go into the menu and turn the option off so you don't see that screen when the tv powers on.

Menu>Smart Features>On TV Settings>Auto Start

Set Auto Start to Off

post #468 of 850 Old 11-30-2013, 12:24 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks - I'll give that a try.
post #469 of 850 Old 11-30-2013, 05:03 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expidia View Post

The most annoying feature on this tv for me is when I turn it on with my time warner remote I get this annoying screen with STB and On below it. I then have to grab the original samsung remote and press arrow down then enter to get rid of it.

It comes on whenever my cable box is off. so even when I turn the cable box on it remains up overlaying the screen for several minutes unless I manually use its remote to turn it off.

Anyone know how to get rid of this annoying feature?

I saw a way in either the F7100 or F8000 thread, but forget exactly how to do it. I believe they said it's in the Setup menu. There is a list of devices in there and you need to go in and dis-enable the STB. I believe it was a month ago in the F7100 thread started by Pirate's Cove.
post #470 of 850 Old 11-30-2013, 05:29 PM

Thx for that reply dfp. I searched the setup menus . . . no cigar!
I did find that I needed to update the software though, it's doing it now. Maybe Samsung had the intelligence to get fid of that feature. It freezes everything until I arrow down and press enter.
If you have time and can find that thread I'd appreciate it. I found the 7000 with Pirrates cove in it but there are 111 pages. The search engine here is pretty useless as they are so concerned with the spammers they make the search engine not much help to the members.
post #471 of 850 Old 11-30-2013, 11:38 PM
Advanced Member

Ahhh ... I finally got the 40 inch F550 and while there are things I love about it ... when I'm playing a game and there is a dark area of the screen I can see these faint white blobs in some of the corners which I guess is what people are calling "clouding?" It's very distracting, especially if I move around and see the blobs moving about the screen ...

Is this a known problem with these sets? Should I exchange it and hope I get a better one? I don't think I could live with it as it is.

Please advise ...
post #472 of 850 Old 12-01-2013, 07:59 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thx for that reply dfp. I searched the setup menus . . . no cigar!
I did find that I needed to update the software though, it's doing it now. Maybe Samsung had the intelligence to get fid of that feature. It freezes everything until I arrow down and press enter.
If you have time and can find that thread I'd appreciate it. I found the 7000 with Pirrates cove in it but there are 111 pages. The search engine here is pretty useless as they are so concerned with the spammers they make the search engine not much help to the members.

I just did "Search the Thread" on the Samsung F8000 thread (disable STB) and found it. The answer is nyuushin's quoted post. Someone also answered in the Pirate's Cove 7100 thread. Look there a day or so before for their answer which should be the same. Let me know if this works.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1463286/official-samsung-unxxf8000-owners-thread/3300#post_23907862

post #473 of 850 Old 12-01-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangled Cable View Post

Ahhh ... I finally got the 40 inch F550 and while there are things I love about it ... when I'm playing a game and there is a dark area of the screen I can see these faint white blobs in some of the corners which I guess is what people are calling "clouding?" It's very distracting, especially if I move around and see the blobs moving about the screen ...

Is this a known problem with these sets? Should I exchange it and hope I get a better one? I don't think I could live with it as it is.

Please advise ...

Clouding is a common issue with LCD displays, it can affect any TV, some will have it more than others.
It's normal for LCD displays to have a bit of clouding in a dark screen, it's rare to be perfectly uniform.
Nothing one can do about it, if it is to bad exchange it but if it's really faint then you might want to keep it instead as you could get even worse...
post #474 of 850 Old 12-01-2013, 10:48 AM
Advanced Member

Universal remote programming help needed.

Is there a way to program a macro to take one to the internet on the 5500? I'm trying to pre-program a universal remote for my daughter and don't have the TV here.
post #475 of 850 Old 12-01-2013, 04:15 PM

Thx, i read through that tread and they discussed the issue but no resolution. Ill have to check back further as you suggest. The issue is if a device like the dvr box is off it freezes on that stb message. I know how to shut the message off, but it drives my wife crazy. If i can find a setting in the cisco time warner dvr box to always leave it on it would solve the issue. Ill check that out too. Thx for looking up that old thread.
post #476 of 850 Old 12-01-2013, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

Clouding is a common issue with LCD displays, it can affect any TV, some will have it more than others.
It's normal for LCD displays to have a bit of clouding in a dark screen, it's rare to be perfectly uniform.
Nothing one can do about it, if it is to bad exchange it but if it's really faint then you might want to keep it instead as you could get even worse...

I read a whole thread on supposed tweaks to fix clouding (rubbing the screen, etc) and the only one I decided to try was slightly loosening the screws on the back of the bezel. I did that and I loosened the screws on the back of my monitor arm, and ....

Clouding does appear to be much improved
. I am not immune to the effects of placebo, but where as before I basically had clouding on all four corners of the screen, now I have just a little in the center and bottom right corner. I looked really hard and it seems to be more or less gone in the bottom left, top left and top right of my screen ...

Now for the next issue ...

screen blur/ghosting ...

Very visible when scrolling black text on white screen. I know others have run into this problem but have any of you resolved it?
post #477 of 850 Old 12-01-2013, 05:13 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thx, i read through that tread and they discussed the issue but no resolution. Ill have to check back further as you suggest. The issue is if a device like the dvr box is off it freezes on that stb message. I know how to shut the message off, but it drives my wife crazy. If i can find a setting in the cisco time warner dvr box to always leave it on it would solve the issue. Ill check that out too. Thx for looking up that old thread.

I just checked that solution on my new 32F5000 and those menu items, System, etc. just aren't there. The F7100 and F8000 must have more options. Sorry.
post #478 of 850 Old 12-01-2013, 06:20 PM

Unxx5500 users. Anyone update to firmware ver 1117 yet?
post #479 of 850 Old 12-01-2013, 08:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananafi5h View Post

Unxx5500 users. Anyone update to firmware ver 1117 yet?

I haven't done it, but the description is the exact same as it was for version 1116, which I did upgrade to. I'm not sure what to think about that - either they did not update the description and we don't know what changes to expect in 1117.4 or it is basically the same as 1116 with some insignificant changes.
post #480 of 850 Old 12-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I don't have cable but I'm inclined to think it is something with your setup because I do have an STB/PVR connected to HDMI 1 and have never seen this message you mentioned when it is shut off and I turn on the TV (or any other time).

First you should clarify whether you have a 5500 or 5000. I'm assuming you have a North American model because you mentioned Time Warner but I haven't actually looked it up to see if they operate anyplace else.

Second, how did you set up the connection between your DVR and the TV? Do you use the DVR as the source of your channels and programming on your TV? I know when I set up my TV, it asked if I wanted to use the source for inclusion in the On TV info. I choose no. I have a 5500 and "On TV" would not apply to a 5000.

Third, I'm not quite sure what you are doing and have never had a Time Warner remote so you may need to clarify. Is there some reason that you cannot simply turn the cable box on first before the TV? It sounds like that would solve your problem instantly without making any changes and you are already using that remote anyway. Also, if you have programmed the Time Warner remote to operate the TV, can you program it to press Enter without using the Samsung remote?

Well, like I said, I don't have cable of any kind and have never used a Time Warner box or remote so if there is something specific to using Cable or to your TW box, I can't be of any help. But I do not get any message like that with my STB/PVR or my DVD-R or anything else I have connected whether it is off or on. So I'd assume it's something you can fix. Not sure I will be able to help you fix it since I don't have the same setup. But provide the above info for others who may be able to help.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un32f5000 32 Inch Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh5000
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page