*Official* Samsung UNxxF5000 and UNxxF5500 Owners Thread - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 884 Old 03-01-2014, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Picture quality should be around the same, yes.
There will just be less probability of uniformity issues in the EH compared to the F.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 884 Old 03-01-2014, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can I safely run an analog input into the back of a 5000 as follows. Using the VCR "rec out" jack on my AVR to the 5000's audio input on the back of the TV?
post #723 of 884 Old 03-01-2014, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Can I not plug a set of headphones into the F5500? I have tried plugging in a couple of different headphone jacks into the audio out port but they are seemingly too big and would require much more force than I'm comfortable using to get anything more than the tip in. I -believe- my plugs are 3.5 but I'm not sure.

And is there -nowhere- to find a changelog for firmware updates? I can't find such a thing anywhere.

post #724 of 884 Old 03-01-2014, 04:36 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grausherra View Post

Can I not plug a set of headphones into the F5500? I have tried plugging in a couple of different headphone jacks into the audio out port but they are seemingly too big and would require much more force than I'm comfortable using to get anything more than the tip in. I -believe- my plugs are 3.5 but I'm not sure.

I have plugged both headphones and speakers into the audio out port. It does require a little extra force at the end to get it securely in. If you have tried multiple devices and are sure you have used enough force and any more may damage the TV, then I would suggest calling Samsung to determine if your port has a defect or if they have a suggestion.

BTW, if you have an American version of the TV, be aware that the volume of the audio out port is fixed level so you will not be able to adjust it unless your headphones have their own volume control.
post #725 of 884 Old 03-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprc View Post

I have plugged both headphones and speakers into the audio out port. It does require a little extra force at the end to get it securely in. If you have tried multiple devices and are sure you have used enough force and any more may damage the TV, then I would suggest calling Samsung to determine if your port has a defect or if they have a suggestion.

BTW, if you have an American version of the TV, be aware that the volume of the audio out port is fixed level so you will not be able to adjust it unless your headphones have their own volume control.

I have tried an old pair of Creative Zen earbuds, as well as a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones and neither jack can get more than the very tip in without stopping because the jack appears to be too big. I've tried pushing them a little bit harder but there doesn't seem to be any kind of "give" -at all-.

A "Mr. Samsung" (I guess he's an ambassador or something) on bestbuy.com answered a Q&A about a headphone jack and said the TV does not have one so I really don't know what to believe at this point.

post #726 of 884 Old 03-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I have tried an old pair of Creative Zen earbuds, as well as a pair of Bose noise-cancelling headphones and neither jack can get more than the very tip in without stopping because the jack appears to be too big. I've tried pushing them a little bit harder but there doesn't seem to be any kind of "give" -at all-.

A "Mr. Samsung" (I guess he's an ambassador or something) on bestbuy.com answered a Q&A about a headphone jack and said the TV does not have one so I really don't know what to believe at this point.

Well it doesn't have a regular dedicated headphone jack on the American model (kk10 says the European version does and I don't know about Asia) that is meant solely for headphones or speakers that can be controlled by the TV volume. Instead it has a fixed level audio out mini port that can be used with more sophisticated sound systems that control the volume themselves. Headphones can be attached to the port but without TV volume control. A 3.5mm / 1/8 inch plug should fit and if you think yours is too small to fit that size and want to use that port, I would either contact Samsung for warranty support or if you just bought it you could try to exchange it with the seller.

If you bought it at best buy, you could take your headphones to the store and try it on the display model to see how they fit.
post #727 of 884 Old 03-01-2014, 05:11 PM

Quote:

Well it doesn't have a regular dedicated headphone jack on the American model (kk10 says the European version does and I don't know about Asia) that is meant solely for headphones or speakers that can be controlled by the TV volume. Instead it has a fixed level audio out mini port that can be used with more sophisticated sound systems that control the volume themselves. Headphones can be attached to the port but without TV volume control. A 3.5mm / 1/8 inch plug should fit and if you think yours is too small to fit that size and want to use that port, I would either contact Samsung for warranty support or if you just bought it you could try to exchange it with the seller.

It's not that big of a deal if I can't use it, I just thought of giving it a try and was left scratching my head as to why it won't work. I mean, even comparing the audio-out port and the headphone plug, it's obvious to the eye that the audio-out port is definitely smaller than the plug of my headphones. If I had a 2.5 mm adapter maybe that would work but I don't know.

post #728 of 884 Old 03-01-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It's not that big of a deal if I can't use it, I just thought of giving it a try and was left scratching my head as to why it won't work. I mean, even comparing the audio-out port and the headphone plug, it's obvious to the eye that the audio-out port is definitely smaller than the plug of my headphones. If I had a 2.5 mm adapter maybe that would work but I don't know.

I added this I think while you were posting, but If you bought it at best buy, you could take your headphones to the store and try it on the display model to see how they fit.
post #729 of 884 Old 03-01-2014, 05:18 PM

What are the chances that the audio-out in the back is a 2.5 port and not a 3.5? Or do I just have a dud of some kind? It seems unlikely that I have more than one set of headphones with jacks larger than 3.5.

post #730 of 884 Old 03-01-2014, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

What are the chances that the audio-out in the back is a 2.5 port and not a 3.5? Or do I just have a dud of some kind? It seems unlikely that I have more than one set of headphones with jacks larger than 3.5.

My UN F5500 is definitely a 3.5 jack and I don't have trouble getting a 3.5mm plug into it. Even when I say it requires a little extra force at the end, it is not anything that is worrisome at all or would make me hesitate to do it. It goes in without a problem. Your port is probably defective. If you want to make sure it is not the headphones plug that is the problem then you can do what I suggest above with a display model.
post #731 of 884 Old 03-02-2014, 12:45 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

Picture quality should be around the same, yes.
There will just be less probability of uniformity issues in the EH compared to the F.

so how is the uniformity of the F5000 series? is it a hit or miss?

I mean some people in here have had it...dont remember if it happens on samsung panels or just the sharp ones? or others as well maybe.

post #732 of 884 Old 03-02-2014, 11:26 AM

This has nothing to do with the manufacturer of the LCD panels.

Uniformity issues are hit or miss with any LCD you buy, no matter the manufacturer nor panel type nor if it is a top-of-the-line or entry level model.
Uniformity issues are a common flaw in LCDs inherent to manufacturing variation.
It's just a matter of luck and chance.
Direct-lit LCDs have lower probability of some issues, but it's just a probability not a certainty.
post #733 of 884 Old 03-02-2014, 03:05 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyae86 View Post

so how is the uniformity of the F5000 series? is it a hit or miss?

I mean some people in here have had it...dont remember if it happens on samsung panels or just the sharp ones? or others as well maybe.

I've had a UN32F5000 (with a samsung panel) for several months. It's in a bedroom and only used to watch cable TV late night shows at bedtime and news stations while getting up in the morning. The picture is absolutely gorgeous.

However, I notice uniformity problems when the screen goes black during start up or shutdown... never while watching TV. Not even in fadeouts to commercials. I'm sure I could probably minimize it by lowering the backlight or other settings, which I know how to do, but it doesn't bother me enough to do it.

The only minor annoyance is that the viewing angle is poor. As I walk away from it, moving about in the room, it lightens up considerably. But looking at it, straight on, it's gorgeous.
post #734 of 884 Old 03-02-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:

This has nothing to do with the manufacturer of the LCD panels.

Uniformity issues are hit or miss with any LCD you buy, no matter the manufacturer nor panel type nor if it is a top-of-the-line or entry level model.
Uniformity issues are a common flaw in LCDs inherent to manufacturing variation.
It's just a matter of luck and chance.
Direct-lit LCDs have lower probability of some issues, but it's just a probability not a certainty.

aaahhh i see. Well that clears up things a bit more :) great info kkl10. Thank you so much. But why do i feel like id rather buy the f5000 instead of the eh5000 when the eh5000 is about 80-90 cheaper lol.

are there any reviews out there that compare both models? or seperate reviews of each? just want to see how much different are they. like if the f5000 is only 5 percent better...i would end up getting the eh5000 lol

post #735 of 884 Old 03-02-2014, 03:11 PM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:

aaahhh i see. Well that clears up things a bit more smile.gif great info kkl10. Thank you so much. But why do i feel like id rather buy the f5000 instead of the eh5000 when the eh5000 is about 80-90 cheaper lol.

are there any reviews out there that compare both models? or seperate reviews of each? just want to see how much different are they. like if the f5000 is only 5 percent better...i would end up getting the eh5000 lol

Check my post above yours.... you may have missed it when typing. The reason to get the F5000 is that it's so thin. It looks great even when off.
post #736 of 884 Old 03-02-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:

But why do i feel like id rather buy the f5000 instead of the eh5000 when the eh5000 is about 80-90 cheaper lol.

You may want to read my posts again... I actually suggested the other way around, definitely take the EH since it's cheaper and has less probability of uniformity issues.
You can easily find reviews if you google a bit, but from what I've read the F is not 5% better than the EH, they're largely the same.
And even if there is any difference between them, it's so small that would require calibration with a level of precision you most probably can't afford... and that's even assuming there's no LCD manufacturing variation.
So don't obsess over it and just go for the cheaper one.

EDIT: Sorry I misread your post, you meant yourself not me... only thing I see going for the F over the EH is aesthetics, in any case it's your call.
post #737 of 884 Old 03-02-2014, 07:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominic26 View Post

Can I safely run an analog input into the back of a 5000 as follows. Using the VCR "rec out" jack on my AVR to the 5000's audio input on the back of the TV?

I took the plunge. The answer is yes.
post #738 of 884 Old 03-02-2014, 07:25 PM

Quote:

You may want to read my posts again... I actually suggested the other way around, definitely take the EH since it's cheaper and has less probability of uniformity issues.
You can easily find reviews if you google a bit, but from what I've read the F is not 5% better than the EH, they're largely the same.
And even if there is any difference between them, it's so small that would require calibration with a level of precision you most probably can't afford... and that's even assuming there's no LCD manufacturing variation.
So don't obsess over it and just go for the cheaper one.

EDIT: Sorry I misread your post, you meant yourself not me... only thing I see going for the F over the EH is aesthetics, in any case it's your call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

Check my post above yours.... you may have missed it when typing. The reason to get the F5000 is that it's so thin. It looks great even when off.

Thank you to both of you so much :). I will definitely go with the cheaper one. Once Black Friday arrives this year, I am sure to pick up the F5000 if it gets as cheap as the EH5000..I really loved my old EH5000 which I gave to my brother, so I will definitely get another one. I just wonder when will they release an updated one of the F5000? G5000 or GE5000, Im wondering...

post #739 of 884 Old 03-02-2014, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thank you to both of you so much smile.gif. I will definitely go with the cheaper one. Once Black Friday arrives this year, I am sure to pick up the F5000 if it gets as cheap as the EH5000..I really loved my old EH5000 which I gave to my brother, so I will definitely get another one. I just wonder when will they release an updated one of the F5000? G5000 or GE5000, Im wondering...

I don't want to get off topic discussing the next model too much in this thread, but the 2014 line is H5000 and H5500 and should be out very soon. Here is a link to the 5500 www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN50H5500AFXZA

Edit: the link to the 50 inch size above seems to be temporarily down - I assume it will come back online soon. But if that link doesn't work whenever someone is reading this, here is the 40 inch size already on sale: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40H5500AFXZA
post #740 of 884 Old 03-03-2014, 07:20 AM
dfp
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfp View Post

I've had a UN32F5000 (with a samsung panel) for several months. It's in a bedroom and only used to watch cable TV late night shows at bedtime and news stations while getting up in the morning. The picture is absolutely gorgeous.

However, I notice uniformity problems when the screen goes black during start up or shutdown... never while watching TV. Not even in fadeouts to commercials. I'm sure I could probably minimize it by lowering the backlight or other settings, which I know how to do, but it doesn't bother me enough to do it.

The only minor annoyance is that the viewing angle is poor. As I walk away from it, moving about in the room, it lightens up considerably. But looking at it, straight on, it's gorgeous.

Wanted to mention a reason I don't notice clouding while watching TV is that I set up my cablebox to always output 1080i. This allows for faster channel switching between 480i, 720p, and 1080i channels, and also freezes the last frame on the screen while switching to another channel. So the screen is never black when changing channels, minimizing clouding.
post #741 of 884 Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 AM

Liked: 14

Anyone able to measure the specs of a Sammy panel 32" using ARGYLLCMS yet?

Here's for a fully D65 calibrated AUO:

Black level = 0.0386 cd/m^2
50%   level = 30.18 cd/m^2
White level = 134.78 cd/m^2
Aprox. gamma = 2.26
Contrast ratio = 3488:1

Whenever I see Sammy panels measured they're usually in the 2.5K:1 region.

post #742 of 884 Old 03-03-2014, 06:31 PM

Has anyone updated to the 1121.3 Firmware and had issues with sound getting low? I updated my UN32F5500 to 1121.3 a couple days ago, and today the sound was very low, I had to turn the volume up high to get any sound. Its only hooked to a Comcast HD receiver using HDMI and nothing has changed other than the Firmware. I restarted the TV and the sound seems back to normal not sure if it related to the firmware update but I never had an issue in the few months I have had the TV.

Out of curiosity is there anyway to revert back to an older firmware?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN32F5500AFXZA
post #743 of 884 Old 03-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telc View Post

Has anyone updated to the 1121.3 Firmware and had issues with sound getting low? I updated my UN32F5500 to 1121.3 a couple days ago, and today the sound was very low, I had to turn the volume up high to get any sound. Its only hooked to a Comcast HD receiver using HDMI and nothing has changed other than the Firmware. I restarted the TV and the sound seems back to normal not sure if it related to the firmware update but I never had an issue in the few months I have had the TV.

Out of curiosity is there anyway to revert back to an older firmware?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN32F5500AFXZA

It's the firmware. It's a known issue with that version. I can't say whether this will work for you, but I was able to fix the sound volume back to normal by changing the sound mode. Just change it to something different that you have it on when it happens and then you can change it back to what you prefer.

The only "legitimate" way to go back to a previous firmware is to contact Samsung and see if you can get them to send you a special file that will allow you to downgrade instead of just upgrade. If you want to look into ways to do it yourself and risk possibly bricking your TV, you can do a search for samygo. I will not link to it here since most people should stay away from doing such things. But I have done other things on my TV that most people should not do, so if you are so inclined, you can find it with a search. But if the only reason is this volume issue, I wouldn't do it. It's easy to fix the volume and not something I consider it worth messing with your firmware. If it's really annoying to you, I would try contacting Samsung first.
post #744 of 884 Old 03-03-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:

I don't want to get off topic discussing the next model too much in this thread, but the 2014 line is H5000 and H5500 and should be out very soon. Here is a link to the 5500 www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN50H5500AFXZA

takes me to a page not found :(

post #745 of 884 Old 03-03-2014, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

takes me to a page not found frown.gif

Here's the 40 inch size, already on sale. They took down the 50 inch page overnight I guess: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40H5500AFXZA
post #746 of 884 Old 03-03-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:

Here's the 40 inch size, already on sale. They took down the 50 inch page overnight I guess: http://www.samsung.com/us/video/tvs/UN40H5500AFXZA

Thanks. I actually was looking for it  just now lol. But thanks anyways. I wonder if there is a thread on this new HDTV??

But after seeing its featues....its a smart TV but not sure if they are going to make a non smart version of it...so far theres only smart. And seems like its better than the previous generation...

mmmmm interesting..Plus it looks nice

post #747 of 884 Old 03-03-2014, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Thanks. I actually was looking for it  just now lol. But thanks anyways. I wonder if there is a thread on this new HDTV??

But after seeing its featues....its a smart TV but not sure if they are going to make a non smart version of it...so far theres only smart. And seems like its better than the previous generation...

mmmmm interesting..Plus it looks nice

There's a H5000 like I said. Everything was revealed back in January at CES. The H5500 has several benefits over the F5500. I wouldn't expect much of a difference between the F5000 and H5000 though.
post #748 of 884 Old 03-04-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:

It's the firmware. It's a known issue with that version. I can't say whether this will work for you, but I was able to fix the sound volume back to normal by changing the sound mode. Just change it to something different that you have it on when it happens and then you can change it back to what you prefer.

The only "legitimate" way to go back to a previous firmware is to contact Samsung and see if you can get them to send you a special file that will allow you to downgrade instead of just upgrade. If you want to look into ways to do it yourself and risk possibly bricking your TV, you can do a search for samygo. I will not link to it here since most people should stay away from doing such things. But I have done other things on my TV that most people should not do, so if you are so inclined, you can find it with a search. But if the only reason is this volume issue, I wouldn't do it. It's easy to fix the volume and not something I consider it worth messing with your firmware. If it's really annoying to you, I would try contacting Samsung first.

Is this something you just had to do one time, or does the problem keep coming back and you have to keep changing it? What specific sound mode are you changing? Hopefully they release an updated firmware since the issue seems common.
post #749 of 884 Old 03-04-2014, 12:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by telc View Post

Is this something you just had to do one time, or does the problem keep coming back and you have to keep changing it? What specific sound mode are you changing? Hopefully they release an updated firmware since the issue seems common.

With my setup, I'm able to avoid it happening again because I figured out the trigger but you may not be able to do that. After a few times, I realized the bug was only happening for me when I change the sound settings on my PVR, which is connected via HDMI to the TV. This was triggering the change in the TV sound which would stay extremely low on full volume even after switching source back to the TV or to any other input. So I setup my PVR in a way in which I wouldn't have to adjust the sound and I don't touch any of the sound settings for the PVR anymore. You may not have a choice or may find it happening under other circumstances too so you may keep experiencing it.

The specific sound mode doesn't matter. I've had on various sound modes when this has happened. Whatever it is set to, just change it to something else. I don't know if this will work for everyone but it worked for me every time before I figured out how to stop triggering it.
post #750 of 884 Old 03-04-2014, 08:39 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

My UN F5500 is definitely a 3.5 jack and I don't have trouble getting a 3.5mm plug into it. Even when I say it requires a little extra force at the end, it is not anything that is worrisome at all or would make me hesitate to do it. It goes in without a problem. Your port is probably defective. If you want to make sure it is not the headphones plug that is the problem then you can do what I suggest above with a display model.

I had trouble getting the headphones inside the TV jack at first in my unf5000, and I thought maybe it was a 2.5mm jack. So, I did some research and found out it was most likely a 3.5mm jack even though it seemed smaller. Guess what? I pushed it in harder. XP. It's a jack that's pretty damn tight.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un32f5000 32 Inch Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh5000
Gear in this thread - Un50eh5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page