Forum Jump: 

post #841 of 858 Old 07-15-2014, 03:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by d33pblack View Post
Hi everyone, i've recently purchased a Samsung F5500 46", i'm loving it for gaming (input lag is very good) but i've noticed a terrible "flickering" during end credits movies and while there's a light in motion.
I know this TV is just 60hz but flickering is too much noticeable... especially when there's withe text on dark background. Is that a "normal issue" for this panel? Should i returned it to Amazon?

All picture modes except for 'Movie' and 'PC' brighten or darken the backlight depending on how bright the scene is (this goes into overdrive during credits). If your using "Standard" as your picture mode change it to 'Movie'.

As for gaming make sure you change the name of the HDMI port to PC, that will greatly reduce the input lag.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 858 Old 07-16-2014, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
All picture modes except for 'Movie' and 'PC' brighten or darken the backlight depending on how bright the scene is (this goes into overdrive during credits). If your using "Standard" as your picture mode change it to 'Movie'.

As for gaming make sure you change the name of the HDMI port to PC, that will greatly reduce the input lag.
I've already the picture mode on "Movie" but the problems is still there... anyway is not a big problem because i can notice that just when "end credits" start to roll down.

I use "game mode" for gaming with all to OFF (dynamic contrast, etc.). I've heard about the "pc label trick" but i've also heard the picture is washed out with that method... are you sure that method is better than "game mode" one?

Anyway i'm experimenting another minor problem lately. I've noticed when there's no constant audio in the background a little "audio delay" while i scroll between the menu options, this happens in the tv menu and also with my PS4 in the PS Store where there is no music in background. While i scroll between options the volume seems to be lower sometimes for just 1 second (i mean the sound of the last "menu selection" is lower than the previous one or vice versa), but it works good when there's a constant sound in the background. For example PS4 dashboard is not affected... I hope i was clear.
Is that normal?

Last edited by d33pblack; 07-16-2014 at 07:35 AM.
post #843 of 858 Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM

Edit: I saw there was the "game mode" causing the audio delay...
post #844 of 858 Old 07-20-2014, 02:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
been skimming the thread but dont really see an answer here. I picked up a UN32F5500AFXZA a little while back and finally got around to using it. I wanted something smaller for my older consoles and that i could watch netflix on. Anyway theres one setting thats always confused me

the color space setting. Its options are auto and native. What does native mean? Just judging from what it does on native im assuming this is color space 'normal' and 'wide' that you see on other tvs, with native being wide, but im not sure. Can anyone fill me in on this?

overall a decent tv for the price i got it for. Has a few quirks and i noticed while skimming something about auto dimming on most inputs. I think that might be the weird over contrast thing i seemed to notice in some games. I"ll have to look into it
post #845 of 858 Old 07-20-2014, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post
been skimming the thread but dont really see an answer here. I picked up a UN32F5500AFXZA a little while back and finally got around to using it. I wanted something smaller for my older consoles and that i could watch netflix on. Anyway theres one setting thats always confused me

the color space setting. Its options are auto and native. What does native mean? Just judging from what it does on native im assuming this is color space 'normal' and 'wide' that you see on other tvs, with native being wide, but im not sure. Can anyone fill me in on this?

overall a decent tv for the price i got it for. Has a few quirks and i noticed while skimming something about auto dimming on most inputs. I think that might be the weird over contrast thing i seemed to notice in some games. I"ll have to look into it
http://www.samsung.com/us/support/fa...UN32F5500AFXZA
post #846 of 858 Old 07-20-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenshin-dono View Post

The Native color space is fake. When Samsung says "Wide Color Enhancer" they are not lying; It literally takes all the color values and pushes them outward to make them seem more vivid (ex. yellow becomes more orange). -- On older sets you could go into the service menu and find 'WCE', inside it had Tint & Saturation controls to adjust how far it would skew each Primary & Secondary color.

As for playing games on the F5500, if game console is a PS2/XBox/GC/Wii or older turn on Game mode. If it is a Xbox360/PS3/PC or newer rename the HDMI input to PC. -- When renaming the input to PC you loose the "Image Enhacement" stuff but gain 2x the color resolution on Red and Blue and the input lag is almost cut in half.

F6400 Series Auto and Native

Last edited by Quad5Ny; 07-20-2014 at 06:24 PM.
post #847 of 858 Old 07-20-2014, 06:16 PM

Quote:
I've already the picture mode on "Movie" but the problems is still there... anyway is not a big problem because i can notice that just when "end credits" start to roll down.

I use "game mode" for gaming with all to OFF (dynamic contrast, etc.). I've heard about the "pc label trick" but i've also heard the picture is washed out with that method... are you sure that method is better than "game mode" one?

Anyway i'm experimenting another minor problem lately. I've noticed when there's no constant audio in the background a little "audio delay" while i scroll between the menu options, this happens in the tv menu and also with my PS4 in the PS Store where there is no music in background. While i scroll between options the volume seems to be lower sometimes for just 1 second (i mean the sound of the last "menu selection" is lower than the previous one or vice versa), but it works good when there's a constant sound in the background. For example PS4 dashboard is not affected... I hope i was clear.
Is that normal?
If your using none of the Dynamic Contrast or Enhancement features than yes PC mode is much, much better. It basiclly turns the TV into a PC monitor with a 2x chroma (color) resolution bump on Red and Blue. -- In Game and Normal mode Red/Blue's resolution is cut in half (ex. 1920x1080 becomes 960x540). Also the input lag is only 28ms on PC mode; compare that to 50ish on Game and 100ish on Normal.

Do you have the TV hooked up to a Receiver via optical? If you do, than yes that is normal. -- Also, in the Sound sub menu (and possibly Receiver) you can adjust the audio delay.

P.S. All modes except for PC and Movie have the Color saturation set WAY too high in the Service Menu. When switching to PC or Movie you will notice things look less Vivid even though the user 'Color' control is set to 50 in all modes.

Last edited by Quad5Ny; 07-20-2014 at 06:22 PM.
post #848 of 858 Old 07-20-2014, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone, i've recently purchased a Samsung F5500 46", i'm loving it for gaming (input lag is very good) but i've noticed a terrible "flickering" during end credits movies and while there's a light in motion.
I know this TV is just 60hz but flickering is too much noticeable... especially when there's withe text on dark background. Is that a "normal issue" for this panel? Should i returned it to Amazon?
Oh crap, I almost forgot. If you have the Eco Sensor on or any of the other power saving options... turn those off as they cause the backlight to dim as well.

As for returning it to Amazon, can you post a video of the flickering? If you do then me or someone else will let you know if it is normal.
post #849 of 858 Old 07-21-2014, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
Oh crap, I almost forgot. If you have the Eco Sensor on or any of the other power saving options... turn those off as they cause the backlight to dim as well.

As for returning it to Amazon, can you post a video of the flickering? If you do then me or someone else will let you know if it is normal.
I didn't return it to Amazon, i've decided to keep it also because i use this tv most for gaming, not much for bd movies.
I've read game mode also has 28ms of input lag if you turn off dynamic contrast etc.
I always have all the ECO options to off... I've not the TV hooked up to a receiver via optical, i don't know why game mode makes that iusse...

Last edited by d33pblack; 07-21-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #850 of 858 Old 07-28-2014, 01:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey guys. I just purchased the Samsung UN40H5500AF.
A fantastic TV for the price. Superb for gaming and movie watching. One of the few sets where the 'game mode' actually makes the PQ even better -smoothes out image quality and makes games looks sharper and cleaner- (after calibration of course).

The PQ is excellent, (heck even better than some high end models) but I'm noticing some subtle color smearing in certain areas. It happens with extremely dark blacks against brighter backgrounds (or even dark on dark) and there's a bluish/purplish smearing trail. It's subtle and not as bad as some of those Sharp panels, but it's noticeable. I also noticed it when playing Fifa 14. The red icons above the players' heads sometimes leave a very light reddish smear when the camera is panning very quickly.
I have game mode 'on' and all processing extras turned off. Is this a common thing with these sets (or LEDs/LCDs in general) or do I have a faulty product? Again, sometimes I don't see it at all and it only happens in very specific areas of games.

If anyone else is experiencing the light smearing issue in dark areas, I'd love to know.
My panel Version: TS01 (I'm guessing this is the good kind? Not Sharp?)

Here are my calibration settings using the Disney WOW disc (Put TV in Game Mode and 'then' calibrate):

Game Mode: ON
Picture Mode: Standard (Can't change with game mode on, but try to match the Movie mode if possible)
Backlight: 10 (My TV is in a very, very dim room hence the low backlight).
Contrast: 96
Brightness: 49
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50 (Tested the color pattern with a blue filter. The set actually has a perfect color balance out of the box-very rare).
Tint: G50/R50

ADVANCE SETTINGS
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Black Tone: Off
Flesh Tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color Space: Auto
Gamma: 0

PICTURE OPTIONS
Color Tone: Warm2
Size: Screen Fit
Digital Noise Filter: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Off
LED Clear Motion: Off

PS: A quick question for those using XBOX ONE with this TV. When switching to Game Mode, have any of you noticed a subtle change in the green color specifically? (Most noticeable on the system launch screen). It appears more 'vibrant' or slightly more saturated when switching to game mode. Anyone else notice this?

Video Game Reviewer and Commercial Illustrator

My Illustration Work: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Gaming Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TheGameScouts; 08-08-2014 at 01:55 PM.
post #851 of 858 Old 08-08-2014, 04:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm curious, how smooth is your image during camera pans while watching TV shows or movies? I just got the H5500 (2014 version of your set) and I feel that the image isn't as smooth when the camera pans, even during slow pans. It's not a problem during gaming really, only watching movies or TV shows.

I'm not sure whether to call it flickering or stuttering, because it's so subtle yet noticeable.

Video Game Reviewer and Commercial Illustrator

My Illustration Work: 

My Gaming Website:

post #852 of 858 Old 08-10-2014, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone identify the panel manufacturer for this Samsung model, I have not seen this version number mentioned anywhere:

UA - 39FH5003
Ver. #: XD01
SN: 0BD93DBF701152X

Thanks.

Also, what is the difference between a straight xxxx5000 model and one with a "3" in the end like xxxx5003? I have noticed this model numbering for the past few years already. Does that connote a slightly-lower or -higher spec'ed model than the usual xxxx5000 model?
post #853 of 858 Old 08-14-2014, 06:37 PM

Hi,
I have the UN46F550, the one with the Universal remote. I have a Samsung HW-E450 connected by Optical. I'm trying to use the IR blaster to control the volume of the sound bar. You go through a "3 strikes" attempt to power on/off the sound bar when doing the setup. Then you get a chance to pick your model number, which is actually in the list.

However, it doesn't work. Has anyone actually succeeded in controlling the volume of their Samsung HW-E450 Soundbar using their TV remote?

Thanks!
post #854 of 858 Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever69 View Post
Hi,
I have the UN46F550, the one with the Universal remote. I have a Samsung HW-E450 connected by Optical. I'm trying to use the IR blaster to control the volume of the sound bar. You go through a "3 strikes" attempt to power on/off the sound bar when doing the setup. Then you get a chance to pick your model number, which is actually in the list.

However, it doesn't work. Has anyone actually succeeded in controlling the volume of their Samsung HW-E450 Soundbar using their TV remote?

Thanks!
I don't have that sound bar but make sure you have the IR blaster directly in line with the IR sensor on the sound bar. So far, not doing that has been the reason everytime someone has posted that they had a problem setting up devices to use with the Universal Remote.

I have set up several devices with the IR blaster. Some devices have a wider sensor range and some are very narrow. If setting up multiple devices, initially while doing the setup, place the blaster directly in line of the sensor location for each device and within several inches of it, but not right up against it. If you have to hold it in your hand to do so, then do that but keep your hand open so that it is not blocking the signal.

Then, once you have each of the devices setup, experiment until you find a position you can leave it where you can control all your devices with it in one location.
post #855 of 858 Old 08-14-2014, 06:57 PM

Thanks for the tip. I did actually hold it in my hand and tried placing it various places. I even tried a different IR blaster. All of them didn't work. I will try again tomorrow night by following your tips of making sure my hand is fully open and not impeding the IR.
Thanks again.
post #856 of 858 Old 08-14-2014, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatever69 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I did actually hold it in my hand and tried placing it various places. I even tried a different IR blaster. All of them didn't work. I will try again tomorrow night by following your tips of making sure my hand is fully open and not impeding the IR.
Thanks again.
Good luck. Just one other thing, because I remember someone asking me this before, you are supposed to point the remote at the IR blaster. One guy was pointing it at the TV. Anyway, hope you get it working.
post #857 of 858 Old 08-14-2014, 07:14 PM

OK. I couldn't wait. I tried again. The power on/off failed. Picked my model. And decided to just hammer on the volume key and sure enough, I saw the number on the sound bar go up! But I was holding it in my hand and now I can't get it to do it again.

This sound bar has got to be pickiest thing ever. I turned off the light and even identified where the IR receiver is (I noticed a circle) so I think that's it. Left of the Samsung night near the centre. Still, I have to hover my hand trying to find the perfect position. Wow. Who knew this would be so difficult!

EDIT: I give up. It sometimes works but it has to be millimeters from a very specific location. The sound bar is on top of the TV so I can't place the IR blaster in the air in front of the sound bar. Very very bizarre on why they would make this so awkward.

Last edited by whatever69; 08-14-2014 at 07:50 PM.
post #858 of 858 Old 09-09-2014, 03:36 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has any F5000 series owner's professionally calibrated their displays through the service menu's while balance controls?

I'm considering buying a 39FH5000 refurbished as an upgrade to my current 37EH5000 for the slightly bigger screen, higher contrast and much better brightness the F5000 series offers over the EH5000 series.

I believe the 39FH5000 is exactly the same as the F5000 series with the exception that it is direct lit with a thicker bezel which offers better screen uniformity but is most likely going to have a Chi Mei or AUO panel in which I can live with since my current 37EH5000 also has a Chi Mei panel and looks great after proper white balance calibration through the service menu.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un32f5000 32 Inch Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh5000
Gear in this thread - Un50eh5000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page