*Official* Samsung UNxxF5000 and UNxxF5500 Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 850 Old 07-28-2013, 04:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Okay So read all three pages of the thread but still cant decide between 40f5000 and 40eh5000.
While I was at it I found a contender from sony aswell which is 40ex430.
Now eh5000 is cheapest, then is f5000 and then comes ex430
I cant decide what should I buy. I want my tv to last for coming years and be perform well with my pre ordered PS4
Now only Experts here can Help me out. Just give me a verdict so I can go and pick that up !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 850 Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM

I bought a UN40F5500AF and was wondering about 2 things, both about watching things from a USB drive.
I found that it automatically resumes a video from where you left off but could find no way to restarting it from the
beginning except rewind. Anyone know another way.
Also I was playing an MKV with embedded subtitles and couldn't find a way to turn them off the English subs just came up.
Neither of these things is a real problem since normally I play things through my WD HD TV Live.
post #93 of 850 Old 08-02-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
If I like this TV based on post-calibration reported online specs, how much does the Samsung/Sharp panel lottery play a factor in performance from model to model? This model has a reported contrast ratio of 4900:1 with a black level of 0.07 CD/M2 and a white level of 347.39 CD/M2. I know there was an earlier post saying that no two panels are exactly alike, but is it to the point that they could look like two completely different TVs in color accuracy, contrast ratio, or both?
post #94 of 850 Old 08-03-2013, 03:01 AM

Okay So read all three pages of the thread but still cant decide between 40f5000 and 40eh5000.
While I was at it I found a contender from sony aswell which is 40ex430.
Now eh5000 is cheapest, then is f5000 and then comes ex430
I cant decide what should I buy. I want my tv to last for coming years and be perform well with my pre ordered PS4
Now only Experts here can Help me out. Just give me a verdict so I can go and pick that up !
post #95 of 850 Old 08-07-2013, 02:56 PM

Liked: 11
I just bought the UN32F5500 and so far I am really liking it a lot. Of course, I came from a Westinghouse set so anything is going to be an improvement to that.

Anyhow, I didn't see anyone ask this question yet. Have any of you successfully used the Universal Control function with a Tivo? I do not see where Tivo is even an option in the STB setup. I understand what they are doing with this feature but to eliminate Tivo as an option seems odd. Aren't Tivos fairly popular? Maybe they aren't. Who knows. Regardless, if you have experience with it, please let me know what you found. Even if you tried it unsuccessfully too. That would at least tell me that I'm not alone.

Also, I normally run all sources through my AVR and have only one HDMI input on my TV. But, this TV is downstairs in our living room and the entertainment center is such that the AVR is in a cabinet underneath the TV section. I've used an RF transmitter/receiver thing for years now (don't remember what it is called - it has a battery transmitter that you put in the IR remote and a receiver that you run an eye to the device you want to control) but the batteries are losing their life within a day or two now instead of weeks. When I got this TV, I really liked the functions of the source management and the HDMI-CEC control over my PS3 so I thought I'd see if I could install my sources and AVR differently. I only have two source: Tivo and PS3.

So, I did HDMI out of both sources into an HDMI input on the TV. So far, so good. Now that I have video coming into the TV, I need to get audio out to my AVR. The only way I can see to get the audio out to the AVR digitally is via optical connection. So, from the optical out of the TV to the optical in of the AVR and I get sound. Great! Well, not completely. My Yamaha AVR was seeing the source audio coming in as stereo when I know for certain that the channel I had the Tivo on was a 5.1 channel. My first thought was a setting on the Tivo's audio output. Nope. That didn't change anything. I checked the PS3 and encountered the same issue. In the end, some combination of things got my AVR to see the incoming audio (regardless of source) as DTS so I am getting surround sound. What is odd is that normally I would see the source audio channels on the left side of the AVR display and then the output settings on the right side of the display but with this setting, even though it shows DTS, there is no source audio on the left of the display. It only shows the 5.1 channel output setup on the right.

I have read somewhere, probably here, that the new audio codecs are simply transmission protocols and that the audio files within those transmission protocols are actually PCM. As it relates to my issue, they said that as long as you have Multi-Channel input on, you should be getting the same data file that is being decoded by the device prior to your AVR. This was specifically talking about what to do with the OPPO BDP-103 using a 5.1 AVR that did not have the current codecs available but the OPPO could do it and just send out the signal to the AVR in PCM format. To clarify, my OPPO is not being used in this setup. It is just the source of the information about PCM audio that I am referring to.

Can anyone shed a little bit more light on this audio stuff and why it is that an HDMI digital audio signal going into a TV would not go out via a digital optical output and carry the same signal through without issue? It really doesn't make any sense to me why this would even be an issue.

Oh, another thing: I can't seem to find information on whether or not this TV supports ARC on HDMI1. Does anyone know if that is supported? I thought I could use ARC but then I realized that my AVR is slightly too old for that. But, I'd like to find out because I may consider upgrading to a newer AVR that supports ARC just to see if the audio issues go away while connecting everything the way I have described my current setup. Actually, if anyone knows whether the audio is fed through ARC while still supporting the source format, that would be a great thing to know prior to buying another one and testing it out.

Ok, my novel is over for now. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jeremy - Tech Connoisseur
post #96 of 850 Old 08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
AVS Special Member

What is the difference between the UN22F5000 and the UN22F5003 BJ's sells? I called Samsung and they said the 5003 is thinner and heavier. Also, the speakers in the 5003 are 5 watts, and 3 Watts in the 5000. Does anyone else know of any other scientific differences in sound and picture?
post #97 of 850 Old 08-09-2013, 03:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

What is the difference between the UN22F5000 and the UN22F5003 BJ's sells? I called Samsung and they said the 5003 is thinner and heavier. Also, the speakers in the 5003 are 5 watts, and 3 Watts in the 5000. Does anyone else know of any other scientific differences in sound and picture?
Back in 2011, there was a D5000 and D5003. The D5003 had connections going into the back, making it more difficult for wall mounting. It didn't have a VGA port or headphone jack. It came with a remote similar to 2008/2009 models. The D5000 was easier to wall mount and had a VGA port and headphone jack. Its remote was more inline with what Samsung was doing at the time. I wonder if the same thing could be assumed regarding the F5000 and F5003. The convincing review and scientifics I found at televisioninfo.com were for the UN46F5000, so if I want to increase my chance of getting the same picture quality, I guess I'd be better off just sticking with the F5000. P.S. The UN22F5003 isn't even on the Samsung website. I find that strange!
post #98 of 850 Old 08-09-2013, 11:09 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post

The UN22F5003 isn't even on the Samsung website. I find that strange!
I've been told that some retailers are provided with a slightly different model number so that they don't have to do apples-for-apples pricing. They are the exact same TV usually. Just a slightly different model number like this example. There very well could be other reasons and I'm not 100% certain that this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Jeremy - Tech Connoisseur
post #99 of 850 Old 08-10-2013, 03:08 PM

I have a UE42F5070, which should be the European version. I tried both settings posted here and they both look good, although the 2nd version is probably a bit too warm/colorful.

My main problem is:
I have connected my PC via DVI->HDMI cable and I am using HDMI 2 (labeled HDMI/DVI). I have set its name in the source menu to "DVI PC". However I can't get analog audio to work (sending only video through the DVI->HDMI cable). This is no problem with my older Samsung and my new LG.

I have an older NVidia gfx card and patched audio out of the EDID just to be sure.

I have tried the component and the AV/scart input for audio but I don't get sound.

According to many forum postings, this should generally work with Samsung TVs. Is the F5070 not capable of this?

Thanks!
post #100 of 850 Old 08-17-2013, 11:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerri Roy View Post

I bought a UN40F5500AF and was wondering about 2 things, both about watching things from a USB drive.
I found that it automatically resumes a video from where you left off but could find no way to restarting it from the
beginning except rewind. Anyone know another way.
Also I was playing an MKV with embedded subtitles and couldn't find a way to turn them off the English subs just came up.
Neither of these things is a real problem since normally I play things through my WD HD TV Live.

I don't know if you're still looking for an answer to your first question, but assuming your tv/remote function the same as the 32 in version of this model, you can hold down the rewind key for about 3 seconds (I didn't time it) and it will skip to the beginning. If you hold it down after it goes to the beginning it will go to the previous recording if you have one. Same with fast forward in the other direction. If you look closely at your remote you will see just above the Rewind and Forward buttons is the previous and next chapter symbols. I just got this tv yesterday so I don't have experience with your second question.
post #101 of 850 Old 08-19-2013, 03:35 PM

Thanks for the answer I will try that next time I use the USB on the TV directly. Mostly I use the WD HD unit to watch things.
post #102 of 850 Old 08-24-2013, 04:43 PM

Hello! I have had a un32f5500 for about a month now and I really enjoy everything about it, except one thing. Whenever the picture has a lot of black in it, the TV seems to darken itself. I have all the eco settings on 0 or disabled and the backlight on 20. A good example of what i mean is when I finish watching a film and the credits are displayed. Sometimes the credits only say one name at a time and in between the names the screen seems to go extremely black and then go back to normal when the next name appears, its almost as if the tv turns itself off its so black. Also when i press info on the remote it displays a little "power" meter in the bottom right hand side. The more black on the screen, the less power it seems to be using and the darker the image gets. I was wondering if there is a way to disable this from happening.

Thank you for any help in advance.
post #103 of 850 Old 08-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 108
When you say you have some of the eco settings set to 0 do you mean the min backlight on the eco sensor? I would try either turning that off or setting it to a high level to see if that is the issue. Also, under Picture settings there are two places I see black level settings that you could play with and see if they have any effect. One is under Advanced Settings and the other is under Picture Options.
post #104 of 850 Old 08-24-2013, 05:01 PM

I have the minimum back light setting off, I have also tried to leave that on 20 and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have also tried to adjust the option that makes blacks blacker in advanced options and the HDMI black level in picture options from low to normal to no avail.
post #105 of 850 Old 08-25-2013, 02:48 PM

Well Ive tried everything I can think of, and nothing makes any difference. Also I have the latest firmware 1110.1. I am going to call Samsung and see if they can shed any light on the situation. ill post any relevant information they give me.
post #106 of 850 Old 08-27-2013, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

We have a UE22F5000 in our kitchen and it's connected to a Soundbar via the 3.5mm jack.

Sadly, the TV disables all the audio menus when you use this jack, which seems odd. I want to tweak the EQ etc. but it won't let me.

Is there a service menu setting or anything to let your change this odd behaviour?
post #107 of 850 Old 08-29-2013, 06:02 AM

What are the panels to look out for in the UN22F5000 and what are the acronyms?

I was considering getting this as a humble monitor/tv(for 360 gaming)combo for my desk. From what I gather there is a Samsung panel signified with a "TS...", a Chimei "CH...", and a Sharp panel(which I don't know what the code for it is). This info is displayed outside the box right?

Also, what kind of panels are in these UN22's? IPS, TN, PLS? Mixed depending on panel? I noticed that they don't display the viewing angles on the specs.
post #108 of 850 Old 08-29-2013, 09:41 PM

What settings do you guys recommend for playing on an Xbox 360?

Thanks
post #109 of 850 Old 08-30-2013, 01:17 PM

If it's the same as the on the UN40F5500 audio setting see which Sound Mode you are in, if it's not set on Standard set it there.
Once set on Standard the Sound Effects becomes active, the EQ settings are in there.
post #110 of 850 Old 08-30-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades282 View Post

Hello! I have had a un32f5500 for about a month now and I really enjoy everything about it, except one thing. Whenever the picture has a lot of black in it, the TV seems to darken itself. I have all the eco settings on 0 or disabled and the backlight on 20. A good example of what i mean is when I finish watching a film and the credits are displayed. Sometimes the credits only say one name at a time and in between the names the screen seems to go extremely black and then go back to normal when the next name appears, its almost as if the tv turns itself off its so black. Also when i press info on the remote it displays a little "power" meter in the bottom right hand side. The more black on the screen, the less power it seems to be using and the darker the image gets. I was wondering if there is a way to disable this from happening.

Thank you for any help in advance.

SOLVED

I believe I have figured it out!! I have a un32f5500 and I was messing around with the settings while watching a movie with black single name opening credits and for some reason by luck when i had the brightness setting on 46 and above, it doesn't dim at all!! I tried it again on the same movie with the brightness setting on 45 and it dimmed to almost completely black between names when the screen was black with no text on it. So in short, have your brightness setting on 46 to avoid all CE dimming at all that makes the screen unnecessarily dark. I also had the backlight setting to 20 and gamma on 0. This works in movie mode and standard mode with game mode either on or off.
post #111 of 850 Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermati View Post

What settings do you guys recommend for playing on an Xbox 360?

Thanks

I have my settings as follows and it looks excellent.

Backlight 20

Contrast 100

Brightness 46

Color 75

Sharpness 20

Tint 50 (middle)

Picture size on screen fit

Dynamic contrast low

Color temp normal

Gamma 0

HDMI black level normal

I forget the name of the setting but it makes blacks blacker, that on off.

Also the setting that makes the color band wider, on normal.

Make sure you have GAME MODE ON, otherwise there will be some noticeable input lag.
post #112 of 850 Old 08-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerri Roy View Post

If it's the same as the on the UN40F5500 audio setting see which Sound Mode you are in, if it's not set on Standard set it there.
Once set on Standard the Sound Effects becomes active, the EQ settings are in there.

I can't even change sound mode! It says "Not Available" if you hit the button and the menu item is grey.
post #113 of 850 Old 08-31-2013, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades282 View Post

I have my settings as follows and it looks excellent.

Backlight 20

Contrast 100

Brightness 46

Color 75

Sharpness 20

Tint 50 (middle)

Picture size on screen fit

Dynamic contrast low

Color temp normal

Gamma 0

HDMI black level normal

I forget the name of the setting but it makes blacks blacker, that on off.

Also the setting that makes the color band wider, on normal.

Make sure you have GAME MODE ON, otherwise there will be some noticeable input lag.

Thanks man, I'll give it a try!
post #114 of 850 Old 08-31-2013, 01:24 PM

Liked: 12
I'm having no problems with this new LCD as far as function and picture quality. I ran it through the gamut and for what I bought it for it's perfect. For those that ask, I use it as a monitor and TV in a small back office. However, once I went through the initial setup screens all went well. Once I started to move through the menus, I noted there isn't an option to turn the Wi-Fi on or off. Having the set constantly connected is not desirable. I performed a factory reset and chose not to setup the Wi-Fi or the internet and the TV is constantly broadcasting for a connection. I noticed this when the activity light on my router was constantly blinking. I would turn off the TV and the router would return to normal operation. I ask of the forum has anyone noticed this and is there other models that allow you to turn off the wireless? I’m just not comfortable with this. I called support concerning this and have gotten nowhere. As it appears, there is nothing to do except open the back and cut the power cable or make a trip to RadioShack and get a switch. Considering this, are there any suggestions?
post #115 of 850 Old 09-01-2013, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetmind View Post

We have a UE22F5000 in our kitchen and it's connected to a Soundbar via the 3.5mm jack.

Sadly, the TV disables all the audio menus when you use this jack, which seems odd. I want to tweak the EQ etc. but it won't let me.

Is there a service menu setting or anything to let your change this odd behaviour?

I believe you are using the Headphone jack:

This is Samsung's info:
The headphone volume and the TV volume are adjusted independently of each other. While the headphones are connected, the TV speakers are muted and certain sound options are deactivated.
post #116 of 850 Old 09-01-2013, 08:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy21 View Post

This is Samsung's info:
The headphone volume and the TV volume are adjusted independently of each other. While the headphones are connected, the TV speakers are muted and certain sound options are deactivated.

Yes, headphone jack. I can easily use the optical but I'm pretty sure TV volume then won't have any effect. I could then adjust volume of soundbar but it seems to have low granularity so I preferred to use the TV.

I don't really know what Samsung mean by "headphone volume and the TV volume are adjusted independently of each other"
post #117 of 850 Old 09-01-2013, 01:43 PM

For me (42F5070), it makes no difference if I set the brightness to 46 or lower regarding local dimming. The TV does never local dimming. I have set the mode to film/movie and I am using it with a PC (input named to "DVI PC").
post #118 of 850 Old 09-04-2013, 06:43 AM

I recently pick this F5000 for my Wii, and I'm really impressed how good it handles SD content, the contrast is pretty high with vivid colors.
The GREAT bonus of this TV was it can output PCM sound signal! I connected an optical cable from the TV to my HTS and in fact it reads as PCM signal, games designed for DPII have no problems so far, in fact they sound WAYYYY better than connecting the Wii stereo cables (red/white) directly to my HTS (I really don't know why)
post #119 of 850 Old 09-06-2013, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

My sister's Magnavox CRT in her kitchen died on her. So she got a Samsung UN32F5000. I'm living with her and helping her out with our elderly, disabled mother. My sister even let me set this TV up. I have a lot to say about it.

Before I get into my long video comments, let me say that I think the audio is so good on this TV that I don't think you need a soundbar, external speakers, or a home theater system! This is coming from someone who thinks the Yamaha NS-AP5700BLF bookshelf speakers are among the best.

And now for some words on the video: One of the reasons I'm interested in this TV is because its surface black is pretty deep with a maximum backlight setting of 20, while its maximum luminance level makes it viewable in a day-lit room. During the day, I find that a contrast setting of maximum 100 and gamma setting of maximum +3 accomidate for viewing in a day-lit area. You won't notice the following problem during the day, but when viewing at night with all room lighting turned off, you'll notice that with these settings, the surface black on the video source rises above the TV's surface black. So at night, I wind up turning contrast down to 50 and gamma down to 0. These are the levels that show exactly how something was recorded anyway. While plasma displays are great for viewing in dark surroundings and LCD displays are great for viewing in bright surroundings, the fact that this TV has a deep surface black and bright whites makes it a good TV for watching in all lighting conditions.

To sum up all of the above, if you are a home theater enthusiast and want to use your TV under any lighting conditions and loves audio, yet you don't want a clutter of components, this bad boy is the one to get!
post #120 of 850 Old 09-07-2013, 05:46 AM

I have a problem with this TV maybe you guys can help me, I getting video/sound hiccups, I have connected my Wii to it via component cables (oficial Nintendo ones). Those hiccups only happen during long cutscenes, and Ive checked that always in the same part or near to it. Maybe 480p convertion is slowing down the TV?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung , Samsung Un32f5000 32 Inch Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh5000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page