2013 LG LN5300 LED HDTV Review - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 433 Old 01-04-2014, 06:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Can someone please help me with this?  I just received my new LG ln5300.   It will not work at all with my Funai streaming box using either the HDMI or AV connectors.  It will only work with my Sony DVD player using HDMI, not AV.

I have read that it's possible to enable video playback using the USB, but I cant find any instructions on how that is done.  Other than not being able to use the TV, it's been really great!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 433 Old 01-16-2014, 11:17 AM

Just bought a refurbished LG 42LN5300 last night from Walmart's website for $298 clams. Seemed like a stellar deal to me.

Looking forward to gaming and Blu-ray movies on this set. Especially the gaming part.
post #363 of 433 Old 01-18-2014, 07:32 AM

After reading through this forum I noticed lots of confusion with regards to firmware updates. I got this TV back in July, and it was manufactured in June (42LN5300). After messing around I did find something that I didn't see posted here.

If you open up the settings menu (button: Settings) and then move the cursor to the options category and press the number "7" button 7 times it will pop up an "Upgrade TV Software" dialog. This is where it gets confusing for me. The "latest" firmware version I can find on the LG website is 3.11.13, but this menu shows that the current version is 3.11.15. Anyone else have this experience? Maybe that's why it doesn't pop up the upgrade menu right when we plug in the USB, because our current software version is newer?

This is where I found the trick to get into the software update area: Update Software Menu

It would be great if I could get a few to confirm their software versions, just to put my mind at ease. If we are already running a newer firmware than they have on their website, at least we are current! :)

post #364 of 433 Old 01-18-2014, 04:59 PM

That's a neat trick, phr0sty. Thanks for sharing that! I will play around with that when I pick up my display on Monday.
post #365 of 433 Old 01-18-2014, 06:15 PM

My 42LN5300 is showing a firmware version of 3.24.09 however the one I have on usb stick is 3.11.13. Thanks for the tip though...good to know we can update should another version come along.
post #366 of 433 Old 01-19-2014, 09:35 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by phr0sty View Post

If you open up the settings menu (button: Settings) and then move the cursor to the options category and press the number "7" button 7 times it will pop up an "Upgrade TV Software" dialog. This is where it gets confusing for me. The "latest" firmware version I can find on the LG website is 3.11.13, but this menu shows that the current version is 3.11.15. Anyone else have this experience? Maybe that's why it doesn't pop up the upgrade menu right when we plug in the USB, because our current software version is newer?

Thanks for the info! worth noting to anyone having trouble pulling this up, it'll only pull up after hitting the 7's if you have a USB drive actually plugged in.

I have a much newer version (same as above user), 03.24.09 - So it looks like all of us that had problems updating, are actually just running much newer versions already, and LG is being extremely incompetent with publishing the latest software on their website.

Also, the service codes provided in that article don't work on the LN5300 frown.gif if anyone has codes that work without serial port/IR comms please do let me know

uypY1Ti.jpg
post #367 of 433 Old 01-20-2014, 08:16 PM

Really, really liking this set so far. Out of the box colors and clarity were not bad at all. After a little bit of refinement (using Tralfamadore's settings as a baseline, much like Jon did), this panel looks phenomenal to my eyes. Great black levels, off-axis viewing angles, color reproduction, and an overall crisp picture. Mind you, I bought this refurbished and it seems brand new once I opened everything.

I'm not "feeling" any lag input whatsoever, but I've only been playing Diablo 3 (where I sink most of my game time these days). I'll have to put the set through more games and hours, but as of now the set has been superb on the gaming front.

I couldn't be happier! Great display, this LG really is a hidden gem in the rough. Glad I took the plunge.
post #368 of 433 Old 01-21-2014, 10:38 PM

Quick question! I just bought the 42inch model of this TV, and I'm going to be using it for gaming with a PS4 and watching lots of movies from various sources. Will Tralfamadore's settings be ideal for me as well?
post #369 of 433 Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey13 View Post

Quick question! I just bought the 42inch model of this TV, and I'm going to be using it for gaming with a PS4 and watching lots of movies from various sources. Will Tralfamadore's settings be ideal for me as well?

Try em.

For me, it looked too warm to start out with. I instead, used Warm 1 which balanced out all the colors on a color pluge the best since green was lacking on my set.
post #370 of 433 Old 01-22-2014, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey13 View Post

It might be, try them out. I only used them as a starting point and then adjusted things to my own liking. For example, while playing PS3 games I'm using game mode with tweaked settings.

And like MDA said above, Warm 1 also works as well. It's all a matter of preferences, unless you're after absolute accuracy.
post #371 of 433 Old 01-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 36
May be a dumb question, you guys recommend expert 1 to input settings, I have settings from this thread I really like, can I use expert 2 and input different settings to compare ? I would assume it wouldnt matter, but just checking.

Xbox Live- bucknuts07

PSN-bucknuts07

post #372 of 433 Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucknuts07 View Post

May be a dumb question, you guys recommend expert 1 to input settings, I have settings from this thread I really like, can I use expert 2 and input different settings to compare ? I would assume it wouldnt matter, but just checking.

Yes, that's what the two different expert picture modes are. One would usually make a Night and Day profile using one Expert picture mode for each, but nothing is different in terms of picture options between both Expert picture modes.
post #373 of 433 Old 01-28-2014, 10:45 AM

So, do you guys recommend this TV if i'm interested in gaming? 28MS seems good, but, is then quality good too?

post #374 of 433 Old 01-29-2014, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasinnat View Post

So, do you guys recommend this TV if i'm interested in gaming? 28MS seems good, but, is then quality good too?

It's one of the best TV's of price range for gaming with quality options for calibration like 20-point IRE and CMS (and PC mode). But 28ms seems like the delay that was tested with something not disabled that induces input delay. I do all sorts of "rituals" on my 32LN5300 and when I play rockband or guitar hero, i can put the video delay to 0ms for guitar hero and -14ms for rockband (which is actually 0ms and is a weird system). I'd say from personal opinion, it has about 0-3ms delay at most if you disable unneeded settings and set the TV in the right mode (*cough* PC input label).

This TV series doesn't have a VGA input so some of the analog silicon in the TV has been done away with and opened more possibility for processing digital signals (which may explain why the input lag is so low), but It doesn't detract from overall performance of the TV.
post #375 of 433 Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 PM

Hey guys,

I have the 42LN5300 with what appears to be an M-VA panel. I have the D service code and the pixels are rectangular, I found that out when I took a picture of a dead pixel on my screen:

I also noticed something I haven't seen before. They look like dark blotches on my screen. I can see certain areas of my screen appear darker than other areas. Good thing I got a protection plan from Microcenter, so I can still return and receive a full refund. Dead pixel and dark blotches are too much for my picky tastes. rolleyes.gif

Knowing that the models with service code 'D' (UB.BUSDLMR) is an A-MVA panel made by AUO, I will try and search for a model with service code 'Y' (UB.BUSYLJR) which has an S-IPS panel. I did hear that models with the S-IPS panels may have some uniformity issues though, can anyone comment on this? How better are the colors and viewing angles compared to A-MVA?

My next question is for the likely case that I can't find a 'Y' model, since I've seen people looking for them in retail stores to no avail. It's been almost a year since my initial hunt for a TV that looks (almost) as clear and has similar color reproduction to my 1440p PLS monitor. Now that it's been almost a year, are there any new 42" TV's out there that look just as clear, sharp, and colorful as the 42LN5300 IPS model? And not too much lag and no noticeable blur in games? This TV will be used exclusively for PS4 gaming, movies/blu rays and minimal TV (as in cable). 1080p is a must, and I don't know if 120hz would help the smoothness in games (since the PS4 is locked at 60fps), or if there is even such a thing as a TV with IPS-like colors and 120hz. But I'd appreciate any recommendations for tv's similar to this!

Thanks for the help.
post #376 of 433 Old 02-05-2014, 10:27 PM

I read that if you play games on console or pc, game mode reduces input lag...so I set to game mode for my xbox 360 and when playing nhl it seems to have a slight red tint to the overall picture. When switched back to expert there was no red tint but it didn't look as good. It looks great for other games on game mode with a few settings set to my liking such as contrast which I have set at 75 so for nhl I can see reflections in the ice and ice shavings that I couldn't see with the contrast any higher. I tried g/r tint and the individual color settings but nothing seems to help. Could be that I'm used to the expert setting with warm 2 for the color temp which I just realized didn't look as good to me as warm 1 or maybe even medium. On game mode though there is just a slider for color temp. Anyone have any ideas?
post #377 of 433 Old 02-06-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bills8321 View Post

I read that if you play games on console or pc, game mode reduces input lag...so I set to game mode for my xbox 360 and when playing nhl it seems to have a slight red tint to the overall picture. When switched back to expert there was no red tint but it didn't look as good. It looks great for other games on game mode with a few settings set to my liking such as contrast which I have set at 75 so for nhl I can see reflections in the ice and ice shavings that I couldn't see with the contrast any higher. I tried g/r tint and the individual color settings but nothing seems to help. Could be that I'm used to the expert setting with warm 2 for the color temp which I just realized didn't look as good to me as warm 1 or maybe even medium. On game mode though there is just a slider for color temp. Anyone have any ideas?

For Xbox 360, the optimal picture options for this LG model are:

Xbox 360:
  • 1080p, Expanded reference levels
  • "Source" HDMI colorspace

LN5300:
  • Rename HDMI input to "PC" (this reduces lag even further than game mode). Use Expert 1 or 2 picture mode.
  • AUTO black level
  • Dynamic contrast off, Edge enhancement off, Warm 1 color temp, Wide colorspace, Gamma 1.9 (2.2 for use with a PC)

The grayscale (2-points / IRE 20-point) and color management system options are for getting rid of that "red tint" that you describe. You can do it without a colorimeter using pluge patterns, but it won't be as accurate. Its more pleasing to the eye to see a "white" ice rink than a red one.wink.gif

Also, your contrast when set to the right black level/reference level should be in the 90's and not as low as 75. Brightness should be somewhere in the 50-60 range. But that's really the only two settings that are similar for any TV. The rest is unique to your set.
post #378 of 433 Old 02-06-2014, 11:12 AM

Thanks for the input MDA400. To me PC Mode looks a little washed out or dull like its vga(on my old hdtv I used vga and it looks the same) like it's not even an hdmi connection. I actually preferred expert with contrast at 80 and backlight at 65. I'm wondering if I'm missing something in game mode that can help the red tint. Anyone have any experience with new 5310?
post #379 of 433 Old 02-06-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYpanda View Post

Just bought a refurbished LG 42LN5300 last night from Walmart's website for $298 clams. Seemed like a stellar deal to me.

Looking forward to gaming and Blu-ray movies on this set. Especially the gaming part.

Just bought the same deal. My set appears to be perfect from what i can see. What are the most popular settings people are using on this EXACT model. Also people. If you buy this refurb from walmart. Be sure to pay the extra $36 for the warranty.
post #380 of 433 Old 02-07-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYpanda View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOverSt View Post

Just bought the same deal. My set appears to be perfect from what i can see. What are the most popular settings people are using on this EXACT model. Also people. If you buy this refurb from walmart. Be sure to pay the extra $36 for the warranty.

Hey you guys. Quick favor to ask. What's the service code on your TV?

On the box shown above, underneath the second bardcode, it will either say 42LN5300-UB.BUSDLMR or UB.BUSYLJR. Which do you guys gave? Wondering to see what panels Walmart is still selling. Thanks smile.gif
post #381 of 433 Old 02-07-2014, 12:46 AM

sorry double post.
post #382 of 433 Old 02-07-2014, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suade View Post

Hey you guys. Quick favor to ask. What's the service code on your TV?

On the box shown above, underneath the second bardcode, it will say 42LN5300-UB.BUSXLMR. That X I put in there will either be a 'D' or a 'Y.' Which do you guys gave? Wondering to see what panels Walmart is still selling. Thanks smile.gif

Mine is a D.
post #383 of 433 Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOverSt View Post

Mine is a D.

Looks like you got an MVA panel, same as me. I bought mine from Microcenter months ago without knowing what the code meant, I thought all 42LN5300's were IPS panels. If you both got IPS ones I might of risked it (since I don't want to deal with the hassle of returning it). Don't worry the TV still looks great with the MVA, but I'm a very picky chooser when it comes to my tech and wanted something of similar picture quality/color reproduction as my PLS monitor.

I want to find the IPS model of this TV in person somewhere and see how better it looks and if there is a problem with uniformity. If IPS is all around noticeably better I can still return this one with my replacement plan since I have a dead pixel and a huge dark blotch on my screen.

Anyone know the difference between the LN5300 and LN400? On LG's site it says the LN5400 is IPS and 120hz with Trumotionm, but a lot of reviewers are saying that it's not 120hz and they can't turn trumotion off (whch some people hate).

Anyone have the LN5400 and can comment?
post #384 of 433 Old 02-07-2014, 05:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the input MDA400. To me PC Mode looks a little washed out or dull like its vga(on my old hdtv I used vga and it looks the same) like it's not even an hdmi connection. I actually preferred expert with contrast at 80 and backlight at 65. I'm wondering if I'm missing something in game mode that can help the red tint. Anyone have any experience with new 5310?

I'm not surprised by you saying that PC mode looks dull like VGA (as most people who are use to over-enhanced images are), but there are underlying standards for what the creator of the content you are watching/playing intended. HDMI is superior to VGA. It's digital/lossless (like your flat-screen displays), It supports both RGB and YCbCr (something DVI or VGA lack), and carries audio. I know your post isn't to bash VGA, but I'm just adding the first point to why PC mode (which only works under HDMI) isn't dull.

The basic controls even though you can set to your preference, have a correct setting for any material you watch. In that regard, PC mode is not "dull", but does the easy part for getting closer to a true and original representation of the material.

And as I said, to remove the "red tint" you see in the "game" picture mode, you simply cannot get rid of it until you use the Expert picture modes and in advanced settings, use the 2-point/20 IRE point grayscale system. If only pictures of a screen could do justice on the internet, but one would be looking at it through a possibly more uncalibrated screen. rolleyes.gif Otherwise I'd show you how accurate PC mode can be.

EDIT: If you mean to say dull, contrast lower than the maximum whitepoint (before white is overly bright) will make that happen and not having the right black level set (black becomes gray). PC mode only decodes RGB. If you send a YCbCr signal, it will botch the colors.
post #385 of 433 Old 02-07-2014, 09:18 AM

Thanks again MDA400. I changed back to expert, set the contrast at 90 and by using the picture wizard I got the other settings to look pretty good. Seems like there's a flaw in nhl with thr ice, so my contrast was off and setting it to 90 made everything look a ton better. I noticed that medium color temp on expert gives the same red tint as game mode vs the warm settings.
post #386 of 433 Old 02-11-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:

Thanks again MDA400. I changed back to expert, set the contrast at 90 and by using the picture wizard I got the other settings to look pretty good. Seems like there's a flaw in nhl with thr ice, so my contrast was off and setting it to 90 made everything look a ton better. I noticed that medium color temp on expert gives the same red tint as game mode vs the warm settings.

The temperature settings are as follows on the LN5300:

Cool - boosts only blue (which would drown out warm colors like magenta, yellow and red)

Medium - Boosts blue and a slightly red. (this tends to cause a purplish-red hue)

Warm 1 - Boosts green and slightly red (this is the "recommended" setting that tends to boost yellow which is the hardest to balance on an LCD)

Warm 2 - Boosts red (everything is too brownish to start with)

Others will see it differently, but from staring at color pluge patterns while changing temp settings you can easily tell when the colors are or are not balanced.

Best way is to use a PC hooked up by HDMI/DVI and calibrate your TV using website test images or AVS rec709 test images.
post #387 of 433 Old 02-11-2014, 10:38 AM

I set it to medium and set the red to -20 and it looks better than warm 1 in my opinion. The warm settings look to warm. Medium seems to have better whites but without the red at -20 it has a purplish hue. The whites look
yellowish on warm settings. NHL 14 has a color pluge and contrast/black level pluge in the settings menu so I will try playing around with settings with it.@mda400
post #388 of 433 Old 02-12-2014, 05:58 AM

Quote:

I set it to medium and set the red to -20 and it looks better than warm 1 in my opinion. The warm settings look to warm. Medium seems to have better whites but without the red at -20 it has a purplish hue. The whites look
yellowish on warm settings. NHL 14 has a color pluge and contrast/black level pluge in the settings menu so I will try playing around with settings with it.@mda400

Like i said, medium or cool is usually too cold for color temperatures, but if its to your liking, that all that matters. As you can see, you are able to see the difference in grayscale if you change the IRE settings while looking at a pluge test, then you see the color change. It's not as accurate as a colorimeter, but if you want to save the time and hassle for one, you can get pretty darn close.
post #389 of 433 Old 02-16-2014, 06:54 PM

I set to 20 pt ire and messed around but nothing I adjusted changed the colors or black level not sure why. Also I figured out my issue with pc mode. I had black level set on auto which made everything look to bright but when switched to low it looked more accurated and like you said it was less of an over enhanced image.@mda400
post #390 of 433 Old 02-16-2014, 10:44 PM

I have discovered something that's kind if interesting..if you set aspect ratio to "just scan" it shows more of the screen at least for the xbox 360 than 16:9. 16:9 enlarges everything and shows less of the screen. I am now wondering if "just scan" is better than 16:9...?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics Ln5300 39ln5300 39 Inch Led Lit 1080p 60hz Tv , Lg Electronics Ln5300 42 Inch Led Lit Tv , Lg Electronics Ln5300 32 Inch Led Lit Hdtv , Vizio 37 Inch Lcd Full Hdtv , Westinghouse , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - Ln5300 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page