2013 LG LN5300 LED HDTV Review - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #421 of 426 Old 06-18-2014, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just a heads up for anyone who decides to use any of these monitors as a PC monitor. Contrary to what some people have been saying, I have found the MVA panel to be very unsatisfactory for PC use because of the poor viewing angles creating gamma shift. The 39" is guaranteed to be an MVA panel made by AUO, since no other manufacturer makes that size. The 42" will be panel lottery.

I got the 39ln5300 of which extensive calibration and review has already been done in previous pages. However, at a distance of 2.5-3 feet, the gamma shift flanks the center and goes towards the edges, consuming half the image. I can't believe how some people can think this is remotely IPS worthy in viewing angles. I have a gray wallpaper and grayish theme in Windows. There is a middle circle of dark gray, which is the right color, and everything around it extending to the edges is light "fluffy" gray, the kind of fluffy reflective look a gray furred plushie would have. I switched to a dark purple theme. Same thing. The contrast and blacks are clearly superior to IPS, but they aren't worth the viewing angle issues. I can't look at a solid block of anything without the fluffiness change caused by gamma shift by poor viewing angles. You need to sit far away and in the center to get a shift-free viewing experience, which defeats it's monitor credential's unless its just an HTPC. As just a TV, anyone viewing it more than 30 degrees is gonna notice the shift on darker images very easily.

The other big issue is glare. I don't know what LG uses for its coating, but it makes the screen reflection look vague and oily. You would think the vague-ness means its semi-gloss and not very reflective. It is actually the complete opposite. Whenever there is something dark on the scene, I can clearly see my face very brightly against it. Some LCD screens reflect larger but less distracting solid chunks of light. The LG reflects silhouettes and everything very clearly. My current TV that I am using, which is pretty old, has a thick gloss layer that has a very dim reflection. None of the strong bright reflection the LG has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #422 of 426 Old 06-21-2014, 04:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently bought the LN5400 and I think it is a great TV for it's price.

I use it in PC mode for my PS4 and have calibrated by eye to an acceptable level.

Has anyone found a way to disable or reduce the overshoot? I notice it quite a bit on fast moving games - and would love to be able to do something about it.
post #423 of 426 Old 06-21-2014, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 302
I have the LG42LN5300 in one of the bedrooms here used for TV/DVD /BD the picture isn't bad but not remarkable view angle is decent being an IPS panel. Blacks aren't the greatest so the contrast could be better but thats the thing with IPS panels .

I have a same year (2013) Sony KDL 40R450A in my bedroom with a Samsung SPVA panel and Sony backlight (they usually buy LCD cells and assemble the rest themselves ) better picture all in all than my LG better blacks ,contrast,color ,picture fine detail .

The LG is decent though there is some clouding at night and bluish blacks and crushed shadow detail (compared to the Sony) the LG blacks can not match the Sony OTOH the Sony has a S##ty view angle by comparison . All in all the LG isn't bad and has a lot of useful picture settings and TBH it's better than quite a few of the other sets out there .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -

Last edited by tubetwister; 06-21-2014 at 01:56 PM.
post #424 of 426 Old 06-21-2014, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought this used (in pristine condition) for £80 so it is remarkable at that price range for me
post #425 of 426 Old 06-21-2014, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh82 View Post
I bought this used (in pristine condition) for £80 so it is remarkable at that price range for me
Swinging deal a decent set all in all too!

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #426 of 426 Old 06-25-2014, 05:32 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I bought this TV a few weeks ago and am generally pretty happy with it. I am wondering though does any one else have a noticable "dirty screen effect" when watching the World Cup? Not clouding or backlight bleed, but more an effect from what I assume is uneven anti glare coating application. It's not really noticeable in other situations, I assume it might also appear during a football game kickoff or hockey where there's a panning relatively uniform light color?

I'm pretty sure mine is VA panel, the blacks are better than IPS and there is typical VA off angle gamma shift.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics Ln5300 39ln5300 39 Inch Led Lit 1080p 60hz Tv , Lg Electronics Ln5300 42 Inch Led Lit Tv , Lg Electronics Ln5300 32 Inch Led Lit Hdtv , Vizio 37 Inch Lcd Full Hdtv , Westinghouse , Playstation 3 160gb System , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page