Seiki SE50UY04 - First "low cost" 4K Ultra HD TV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 76 Old 04-01-2013, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Seiki's new 50" LCD/LED model SE50UY04 has native 4K Ultra HD resolution (3840 x 2160) and costs but a tiny fraction of any other 4K UHD TV yet available. It's currently available for order (on sale) at well under the regular $1430 price from the NBC Store - HERE. With a 50" screen it's really too small to have much benefit as far as the increased resolution is concerned for normal TV viewing (even if you connect a 4K video source), but it could be used as a super hi-rez computer monitor that also doubles as a TV.

-

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 76 Old 04-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am hoping someone tries this out but looking at the specs it states 30Hz only input so not that good for computer games??? What do other people think. I am using 3 monitors now but with frames in between, so not ideal. This would be perfect but not if there is a lot of flicker from the low Hz. Would VGA work??
post #3 of 76 Old 04-02-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmarti@tampa View Post

I am hoping someone tries this out but looking at the specs it states 30Hz only input so not that good for computer games??? What do other people think. I am using 3 monitors now but with frames in between, so not ideal. This would be perfect but not if there is a lot of flicker from the low Hz. Would VGA work??

The problem is the HDMI 1.4b standard only supports 4K rates of 24 Hz and 30 Hz. due to the overall bandwidth limits of that interface. The soon-to-be-completed HDMI 2.0 standard supports up to 60 Hz. for 4K video signals, but the first UHD TVs with HDMI 2.0 inputs are not expected to show up on dealers shelves until sometime next year. All of the current first generation of 4K UHD TVs, including the $20,000 ones from the likes of Sony and LG, have this same limitation. Of course these UHD TVs will refresh the display at a higher rate (e.g., 60 Hz, 120 Hz) for 4K input signals at 30 Hz.

Ron Jones
post #4 of 76 Old 04-02-2013, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Well, cheap TVs serve an important function: putting price pressure on tier-1 and tier-2 brands.

This TV itself may not be great, but it will help accelerate price cuts from Samsung, Sony, and others, as Vizio did in the past. 5 years ago there was a huge difference between tier-1 prices and Vizio prices. Nowadays the difference is small. 60 inch Vizio is selling for $999 while 60 inch Sharp 650U is selling for 1199.
post #5 of 76 Old 04-05-2013, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

You are a couple of months late in reporting this. biggrin.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454633/inexpensive-2k-4k-tv-about-to-enter-us Don't feel bad. I had inside info.

Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others.
post #6 of 76 Old 04-09-2013, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital_dilemma View Post

You are a couple of months late in reporting this. biggrin.gif

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1454633/inexpensive-2k-4k-tv-about-to-enter-us Don't feel bad. I had inside info.

I had seen reports from the info available at CES back in Jan. stating the price would be "under $2,000", but the new info is that it is now available and at a lower street price than most had expected.

Ron Jones
post #7 of 76 Old 04-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
TigerDirect also has the SE50UY04 as available, for what it's worth, and also well below $2k USD. I'm just waiting for you early adopters to tear it to shreds (in a good way). smile.gif

...and I need your sweet love, Latina T-Mobile girl!

post #8 of 76 Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 PM

Gizmodo apparently thinks it looks great...

http://gizmodo.com/5994765/seiki-50+inch-4k-tv-eyes+on-how-the-hell-is-a-tv-this-beautiful-so-cheap

My Theater Gallery
Xbox Live gamertag: Ikari Warrior
Playstation Network ID: IkariWarrior
post #9 of 76 Old 04-18-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari Warrior View Post

Gizmodo apparently thinks it looks great...

http://gizmodo.com/5994765/seiki-50+inch-4k-tv-eyes+on-how-the-hell-is-a-tv-this-beautiful-so-cheap

The price is incredible. I like the fact it's just a display with no other "smart" or 3D features.

So there's no way standard blu-ray is ever going to support 4k?
post #10 of 76 Old 04-18-2013, 04:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
That's the way to save money. Get rid of all the fat you don't need in a TV. If people really want "smart" features, there are a million products that will offer them a superior service than the crap that is installed on TV's.

This is also great for consumers because the big brands are going to have to compete with these prices. It really puts into perspective how much they are artificially jacking the prices up.
post #11 of 76 Old 04-20-2013, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

If Seiki can bring out their planned 65" 4K UHD TV this summer with a MSRP of perhaps $3K to $3.5K then that will really start to shake up the marketplace for 4K Ultra-HD TVs.

Ron Jones
post #12 of 76 Old 04-24-2013, 04:09 AM

Menu 0000 to enter the seiki's service menu, if anyone else bought one of these.
post #13 of 76 Old 05-06-2013, 01:08 PM

be careful on going into the service menu. this will void your warranty! i had my 4k tv stuck in burn mode. i had to call them. I'm surprised they are not after that guy that posted that code. they wanted to know how i got the code. i didn't say. If they do there research they will get that person. or someone rats him out. It's a service menu only. you screw up adjustments kiss your money good bye.
post #14 of 76 Old 05-09-2013, 07:56 PM

I am stuck in the burn mode also. Please share how to get out of it. smile.gif Went there to upgrade the firmware and my curiosity got the best of me...
UPDATE: After thinking to hold down the physical power switch, I am back to normal. smile.gif
post #15 of 76 Old 05-09-2013, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 229
^^^^^^ Two good examples of why one should NEVER go into the SM unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. It is very easy to click on the wrong field or option and brick your set. Even posted instructions can lead to disastrous consequences depending on the firmware version. Speaking of which, I'm surprised one of the posters had to go into the SM for a firmware upgrade. That should be done via USB.
John4721 likes this.
post #16 of 76 Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

^^^^^^ Two good examples of why one should NEVER go into the SM unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. It is very easy to click on the wrong field or option and brick your set. Even posted instructions can lead to disastrous consequences depending on the firmware version. Speaking of which, I'm surprised one of the posters had to go into the SM for a firmware upgrade. That should be done via USB.

I tried to warn people about this in a Samsung thread and I got destroyed in the process because people accused me of creating panic and posting incorrect information. Whatever. Stay out of the service menu - it's not worth the risk. It's really not.
John4721 likes this.
post #17 of 76 Old 05-10-2013, 02:41 AM
AVS Special Member

A comment about something the reviewer said on Gizmodo -

"The power of the television's 4K-scaling engine will also be a very important measure of its worthiness and we haven't seen any 1080p content on it yet."

This is very important - if this thing scales 720p and 1080p content poorly, then this set is worthless. Also, how is motion handling? I'm mildly curious about this set only as an outsider who is curious to see where these 4k sets are headed, and this cheap set seems like something to watch - but just because it has the resolution doesn't mean it handles color, motion, black levels, etc. - you get the idea. Another thing - with a 4k set, I imagine DVDs can be tossed out because wouldn't they look like garbage upscaled to such a high resolution? Currently DVD still looks pretty darned good on a 1080p set, if the screen isn't too large, and if the bitrate is descent.
post #18 of 76 Old 05-10-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

CNET only gave it an ok rating (taken with a grain of salt) and one user gave it a glowing review. Sounds like the user was trying to justify his "first on the block" purchase. I think "low cost" is the operative word here but maybe this will push the major mfrs to get into gear. It is an edge-lit LED so.......
post #19 of 76 Old 05-10-2013, 01:52 PM

There is no reason to be in the service menu. People think they just know everything and try to go into and tweaking it. the menu is hidden for a reason. If you really think about it. also making it the top of what it can do is going to cause shortness of the life of the tv. you will be like yeah i got my tv tweak out to the maxx. and 6 months down the road. well i gotta go buy another tv. mean while if you left it alone. you could've got a year or two more out of the tv. and for the prices you pay IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT. kind like hey lets get into your vehicle and every single time you put your gas pedal to the floor. not going to last as long. getting into the service menu or opening the tv voids the warranty. kiss your $1000+ away.
post #20 of 76 Old 05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^ yeah. A lot of folks get into the SM for two reasons. To enable a feature that wasn't part of the feature set for that particular model or to better calibrate their tv (so they think). Better made tv's have all of the necessary calibration options available to the user so there is no reason to go into the SM. Even professional calibrators should never have to use the SM on modern sets. Enabling features that aren't supposed to be enabled for that model is just asking for trouble the next time a firmware upgrade is applied.
post #21 of 76 Old 05-10-2013, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Big surprise - from CNET:

"Cheap 4K TV has pixels aplenty, poor picture"

Pixel count means nothing if the image quality is lousy. I would have been shocked if this tv was rated any better.
post #22 of 76 Old 05-10-2013, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

BTW, anybody who thinks they need a 4k set should read these first:

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57366319-221/why-4k-tvs-are-stupid/

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57566079-221/why-ultra-hd-4k-tvs-are-still-stupid/

I strongly recommend reading these. 4k will do nothing for the home video market but cause confusion and further splinter the technology. It's completely unnecessary for 99% of people - 1080p and blu-ray is an amazing, amazing combo for the home - and already the manufacturers are trying to convince us to get ready to toss our 1080p sets and trade in our blu-rays for 4K. Not gonna happen - they will never, ever convince the majority of the public that 4k is worthy of consideration. They have successfully convinced the vast majority of people that 1080p is worth the upgrade - and they've managed to get a good percentage of DVD buyers to switch to blu-ray. Isn't that good enough? Why can't they let us enjoy 1080p for a while before they start telling us that 1080p sucks and what we really want is 4k?

There may be some valid advantages to 4k - 1080p passive 3D is great, and higher detail at close range, and better resolutions for gaming and high-res image viewing. But I really think the vast majority of people will never see or understand the advantages, or want to re-purchase their entire film library yet again on a newer video format (streaming is a pipe-dream given the current bandwidth/caps issues, and many people like to own their films, not lease them from a server in the cloud that may vanish in the night and take their movie collection with them).
post #23 of 76 Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

+1
post #24 of 76 Old 05-11-2013, 09:32 AM

Liked: 16
Having seen a clip play in 1080p on a Samsung 1080p 55" LED and in 4K on the Seiki 50", I can confidentially say the 4K clip looked significantly better. I'm tired of reading posts from people who haven't tried the display spewing BS about the inability of most people to tell the difference. I've now ordered one for work because its so cheap that its a no-brainer.
post #25 of 76 Old 05-11-2013, 10:42 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post

Having seen a clip play in 1080p on a Samsung 1080p 55" LED and in 4K on the Seiki 50", I can confidentially say the 4K clip looked significantly better. I'm tired of reading posts from people who haven't tried the display spewing BS about the inability of most people to tell the difference. I've now ordered one for work because its so cheap that its a no-brainer.

Check this out.
http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/
I have seen the Sony 65" 4K TV 3 times from 7 to 11 feet away at Best Buy, and have seen no difference between this and a 1080P hdtv. The saleman says the same. Four other people observing the TV say the same. If you are 3-4 feet away you will see a slight diference. It is your money, buy it, it is not that expensive and enjoy. If you have a 4K source for the 4K Tv then you should see a difference.

The best example would be to use the Spears and Munsil 2nd edition Blu Ray which has a 5K clip (Montage) and a 4K clip (Lighthouse). Both clips looked incredible on my 1080P TV. The bit rate ran as high as 47.
post #26 of 76 Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 AM

Liked: 16
As I said, I saw 1080p and 4K versions of the same footage side-by-side at normal viewing distance and the difference was obvious. I never said that 1080p video looks any better on a 4K set...that wouldn't make any sense. The advantage is clear when watching 4K or 1080p 3D, regardless of what any article says. If you're the average consumer who can't tell the difference, then you probably wouldn't frequent AVSForum.
post #27 of 76 Old 05-11-2013, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDPERSON View Post

Check this out.
http://referencehometheater.com/2013/commentary/4k-calculator/
I have seen the Sony 65" 4K TV 3 times from 7 to 11 feet away at Best Buy, and have seen no difference between this and a 1080P hdtv. The saleman says the same. Four other people observing the TV say the same. If you are 3-4 feet away you will see a slight diference. It is your money, buy it, it is not that expensive and enjoy. If you have a 4K source for the 4K Tv then you should see a difference.

I was at a Sony Style store and saw their 65 inch 4k set showing 4k content. Salesman had a tape measure. Sat a little over 7 feet away. There was a marked difference in quality between the 1080p set next to it. Used the same tape measure to sit a bit over 7 feet away from their top of the line 65 inch 1080p set. Trouble was that I couldn't sit there because I could see the pixels on the screen but can confirm that it was not as good (to my eyes) as the 4k set.... Kept going further back and eventually at about 11-12 feet the 4k set didn't have much better resolution noticable. Still felt that the colors were much better on the 4k set... I suppose that the 4k sets are made for those that like to sit closer to their sets.
post #28 of 76 Old 05-17-2013, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I see the 4K for the first time today at the BB store.

I didn't see any WOW effect. Nothing like going from tube tv to 720 or 1080p on HDTV.

I am happy with my 120" screen doing 1080p.

I can wait on this.
post #29 of 76 Old 05-19-2013, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
i got some days ago my unit.
i use it as a 4k computer monitor.

i have discover some bugs.
first when i runn a slide show at 3840x2160 30p from my computer that works perfekt with the sony vw 1000 (4k home cinema pr.)
the monitor have for some seconds a black screen and after the picture comes back it show only a 1/4 of the full 3840x2160 picture "the left up part 1/4 at the wohle screen".
some time it takes some min. some time it takes 40min. to see this bug.
did someone have this problem as well?

as i like to try my new oppo bd player that upcon bd to 3840x216024p i found that the seiki 4k tv just can display this signal at
YCbCr 4:4:4 and no other like 2:2:2 or RGB or Video Level HDMI.
also it shows casino rayale outputs with the oppo in 3840x2160 24p with a big motion bug.
about every 0,7 sec you see a big jump seems like the seiki cant handle the 24 p in the right way.

I try than to feed a 1920x1080 60p signal from my computer and i like to see how and if the monitor just use the native 1920x1080 pixels or as i hope bring it
to the full panel.
it not fill the whole panel and picture not looks sharp as it scales and as i found in the service menu a part that is the overscan and both V and H are at only 96 i like to bring it up to 100 each.
but than all the numbers went to 0 without any possibilty to bring it back.
there was not any picture anymore visible.
i found that inside the service menu i can do a factory reset and i did it and now the numbers are back and i have a picture.

i see after this that the oppo bd at quad hd not work anymore at this resolution als not in the YCbCr 4:4:4 that befor this factory reset works!
so this indicate to me that there was may be a new software version inside that because i did the factory reset not are used anymore.

did someone know if there is a softwar update for the bugs i describe or any other solution may inside the service menu to solve at least the slide show bug at 3840x2160at 30p and all other refresh rates like 23p 24p 29p?

oh btw the picture in 3840x2160 looks very nice.
color in "warm"
sharpness to between 0 to 10
black level are very nice and all in all it show a good picture if you feed good source material and not sit to far away.
best it about 1 times the screen in wide in distance.
post #30 of 76 Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 AM

Liked: 11
I just got this TV from the groupon deal. I also picked up the Samsung F7500 bd player, but it looks like it is not compatible with this TV. I think this is because the Samsung uses the 24fps output and the TV only handles 30fps in 4k mode. Not sure though.

Update: The problem was the cable. Even the cable from Seiki was not compatible. I got a few high speed HDMI cables from Monoprice and it solved the sync problem.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page