Samungs new "F" series panels still stutter! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
A big reason I waited till now to upgrade from my old CCFL LCD is because of the Samsung Auto Motion Plus horror stories, specifically the screen stuttering with nearly any setting except "off" is used.

I bit the bullet and took home a UN55F8000, Samsung's newest model in their flagship series. I thought (incorrectly as it turns out) that the inclusion of a quad core processor over the lower end/older units' dual core would help eliminate this known issue. Alas, with every source I've tried, the screen stutters when anything above "clear" is selected, including every custom combination of dejuddering and smoothing I've tried. So, I guess the quad core processor either isn't worth a squat, or is only worth a squat while performing tasks which have nothing to do with picture quality.

As disheartening as this is, other than that, this TV rocks. Blacks are better than any LCD I've seen, including the full array Sonys and are IMO on par with the Elites (a very bold statement which I'm sure will draw fire from many of you). This alone makes the price of admission worth it to me, as I'm still squeamish about using a plasma for all the gaming and computer monitoring I do. I just wish Samsung would either work out the motion bugs or not offer it as a feature...pretty disappointed.

Samsung UN55F8000
Pioneer Elite SC-65
Bowers and Wilkins 683
Bowers and Wilkins HTM-61
Definitive Tech XTR-20BP
Definitive Tech Supercube 2
8TB Iomega Media Server
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I noticed the same on my 55ES8000, stutter on any AMP setting except Off or Clear. But, the issue was even worse than that, and I suspect you will see this on the F series as well. Any time I viewed 3D content, the stutter would return, even if AMP was set to Clear, and after returning to 2D, the stutter would continue until cycling AMP back to Off and then back to Clear. Once I stumbled upon this little gem of an issue, I promptly returned the 55ES8000.

Edit: it wasn't just the 55ES8000 I returned that exhibited this. I also saw it happen on a 60ES8000 I tried out.

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
post #3 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

I suppose I'm fortunate that I don't wish to do any 3d viewing then. Like I said, the tvs good qualities (great blacks, razor thin and thus easily mountable, decent audio section, very functional touch remote, 10p white balance, slick frameless screen look) to me outweigh the bad, but I'm pretty irked at Samsung about the motion. If you can't figure it out, fine, but don't hype it like the greatest thing since sliced bread if in the real world it doesn't work. At the $2500+ price point for a 55inch displayI expect EVERYTHING to work, well.

Samsung UN55F8000
Pioneer Elite SC-65
Bowers and Wilkins 683
Definitive Tech XTR-20BP
8TB Iomega Media Server
post #4 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
First of all, you can't just open a thread to mention one issue about Samsung F series
You can talk about that in the specific thread
Why are you complaining even if clear setting correct the problem?! Everybody knows that you have to set AMP to clear to get rid of the issue
post #5 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 05:15 PM - Thread Starter

Perhaps there are those who would find the information useful without having to wade through 100 pages of unrelated information to discover a proper discussion on the topic at hand. It sure would've been useful to me.

None the less, I'll be sure to check with you first before starting another thread.
gugarci likes this.

Samsung UN55F8000
Pioneer Elite SC-65
Bowers and Wilkins 683
Definitive Tech XTR-20BP
8TB Iomega Media Server
post #6 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 07:07 PM

Liked: 27
lol. 100's of pages? currently 10 pages guy

Out of everyone in there with these new sets, 1 is complaining of stuttering as well. I am fortunate and have no issue so far. I feel your own thread would be more warranted if you had useful information to share on a solution so that all could read it.
post #7 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 10:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by adgrimes View Post

lol. 100's of pages? currently 10 pages guy

Out of everyone in there with these new sets, 1 is complaining of stuttering as well. I am fortunate and have no issue so far. I feel your own thread would be more warranted if you had useful information to share on a solution so that all could read it.

If you're going to quote me, please at least do it correctly.

Wow...lot of self appointed thread police around here. I was just hoping to help someone perhaps not make a mistake. It seems the two of you have less altruitious motives. (Is that a word?...sounds good, I'll go with it)

I am somewhat intrigued how you have had no issues with yours. My worst stuttering has been off of my AT&T Uverse high def box, and 1080p HDMI from my HTPC passed through a Pioneer Elite receiver.

Samsung UN55F8000
Pioneer Elite SC-65
Bowers and Wilkins 683
Definitive Tech XTR-20BP
8TB Iomega Media Server
post #8 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by anis_ber View Post

First of all, you can't just open a thread to mention one issue about Samsung F series
You can talk about that in the specific thread
Why are you complaining even if clear setting correct the problem?! Everybody knows that you have to set AMP to clear to get rid of the issue

Is there a rule that says he can't start his own thread?
post #9 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post

If you're going to quote me, please at least do it correctly.

Wow...lot of self appointed thread police around here. I was just hoping to help someone perhaps not make a mistake. It seems the two of you have less altruitious motives. (Is that a word?...sounds good, I'll go with it)

I am somewhat intrigued how you have had no issues with yours. My worst stuttering has been off of my AT&T Uverse high def box, and 1080p HDMI from my HTPC passed through a Pioneer Elite receiver.

How dare you say anything bad about a Samsung TV!!!!!!!

Just kidding. wink.gif
post #10 of 22 Old 04-03-2013, 11:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Is there a rule that says he can't start his own thread?

Let's hope not. It's so easy for specific questions to become quickly lost in the noise that tends to dominate the endless threads that rule this site.
post #11 of 22 Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrummingdude View Post

Sorry next time I will fully quote you. I just feel like we could record all these issues in one thread and it would be helpful for us to recognize problems for this years set.

I'm running my Century Link Prism Box(their new "fios tv") through my denon to my Samsung. I noticed some stuttering while watching things off DVR after getting off work. Not sure if its DVR's fault or mine though as this service was installed after new TV. I run my HTPC (aka laptop with a decent graphics card/hdmi out) and have had 0 issues. I stream 1080P (even 3D stuff too) off my NAS synology and no issues either.

I love the upgrade from my previous TV(previous samsung from 2008, flagship model) but honestly felt the picture would have progressed further in the last few years. Seems to me both samsung and sony's customer relations have gone in the crapper reading this forum. I'll need to start looking into new brands for next TV as I appreciate a brand that stands by there product. Samsung screwed me on warranty HTIB so I went with compile it yourself route.
post #12 of 22 Old 04-04-2013, 01:30 AM - Thread Starter

I hear ya. I'm coming from a 40" CCFL Samsung circa 2007?...so the difference for me is enormous!

Having said that, what torques me is not so much that I need to keep the setting to clear or off as it is the unavailability to successfully use the other options. The stuttering can be noticed the most in panning shots. Watching home renovation/design shows on HGTV yields the problem pretty quickly since there is a lot of "before and after" panning. I was pausing the show, rewinding to before the pan shot, tweaking settings and then letting the shot roll. Really effective way to bring it out.

I have to do some more experimentation with sources. Sometimes having a complicated system like HTPC>AVR>TV can cause you fits, especially since every device is capable of decoding/up scaling/balancing ect.

Samsung UN55F8000
Pioneer Elite SC-65
Bowers and Wilkins 683
Definitive Tech XTR-20BP
8TB Iomega Media Server
post #13 of 22 Old 04-07-2013, 08:55 AM

Liked: 11
A few years back I bought a Samsung LNT5271 and it stuttered like crazy with amp on any setting. I bought a 60es8000 and i exchanged it cause it stuttered bad, even with amp off. Now I have a 60f8500 and it stutters on any source with judder control off. Is this just Samsung tv's or is there one that doesn't stutter? I agree this issue seems to not be talked about much except for a few of us here and there and it does deserve its own thread. I think it's a major deal breaker and I just can't understand why samsung hasnt been able to fix this. There has to be a tv that doesn't do this.
post #14 of 22 Old 04-07-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 110
I had the A850 and it had zero stuttering/slowdown.

Unfortunately, both the D series and ES series suffer from stuttering.
post #15 of 22 Old 04-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove View Post

I had the A850 and it had zero stuttering/slowdown.

Unfortunately, both the D series and ES series suffer from stuttering.

My A850 is still pulling strong and with your color settings that were posted up years ago! Only problem is it doesn't always turn on, so I have to unplug it..give it 2 mins..then plug it back in for it to turn on. My set was manufactured in Jan 2009 so I missed out on the bad capictor lawsuit that qualified TV's up to December 2008.

I was able to get the F8000 to stutter as well on HGTV on those panning shots...its like a half-step baby stutter everytime they begin a pan shot. I could not mimick this problem on anything else..even tried baseball and golf.
post #16 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 12:21 PM

Liked: 10
Pardon my ignorance, but what is "AMP"
post #17 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
AutoMotion Plus
post #18 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Thanks for the answer and ignoring my ignorance
post #19 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 01:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Let me "clear" on something:
If you set AMP on "CLEAR", it eliminates the stuttering.

So isn't the problem effectively solved - by setting AMP to CLEAR?
post #20 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 01:36 PM

Liked: 19
What stuttering are we talking about ? I can't say I've noticed it on neither of my Samsung panels, ES9000 and ES8000

post #21 of 22 Old 07-11-2013, 01:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000 View Post

What stuttering are we talking about ?

I would like to know that as well...........

Can you give an illustration of this problem?

May God Guide and Guard the USA!
post #22 of 22 Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_K View Post
Let me "clear" on something:
If you set AMP on "CLEAR", it eliminates the stuttering.

So isn't the problem effectively solved - by setting AMP to CLEAR?
Old post but since the issue still exists and people are talking about it I wanted to comment on this.

No, it isn't solved. AMP has many different settings, including a custom setting that allows the user to dial in exactly how much motion smoothing to apply. Custom also has the LED clear motion option which to my knowledge is not enabled with clear selected, unless I'm mistaken.

The point is why have all these different modes and options when 98% of people say clear is the only setting that works? So then how is clear considered a "fix"? It's only 1 of several different modes, and yet it's the only one that mostly works. This is not what I call a fix. It's called the only mode that works out of all the available modes.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv Un55f8000 , Samsung Un55es8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60es8000 60 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page