post #451 of 744 Old 08-26-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn1980 View Post

I'm actually debating between the LN5700 and LA6200.. I don't care about 3D but I do care about the smart tv function.. This will be use as a pc monitor and pc/console gaming So picture quality and less lag is a must.

I've got the 55LA6200 and I was playing Splinter Cell Blacklist last night and didn't notice any perceivable lag. I also have all the extra picture enhancements turned off (smooth motion, edge enhancement, etc.)

PSN ID: RollTide1017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 744 Old 08-26-2013, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Cool thanks..
post #453 of 744 Old 08-26-2013, 06:16 PM

Liked: 13
I've been playing payday 2 and don't even switch to game and haven't noticed any lag. I kinda got used to not switching when I was playing Bioshock Inf and would forget
post #454 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 10:39 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
CNET is out with an underwhelming review of LG's LA6200 series. They give it 2.5 stars out of 5. CNET is fairly strict with their ratings. Even their favorite products rarely get more than 4 stars.

They don't like the picture quality of the LA6200 series. Here's their summary:
Quote:
The good: The LG LA6200 LED LCD TV features thin, attractive styling with narrow bezel and sleek swivel stand; a capable, customizable Smart TV suite; accurate color and uniform screen; and is 3D-compatible, with four pairs of glasses included.

The bad: Subpar picture quality overall with light black levels, worse video processing than a typical "120Hz" TV and a middling bright-room image; surprisingly poor 3D image; cluttered Smart interface.

The bottom line: The midrange LG LA6200 LED LCD TV gets points for looks and smarts, but loses even more due to its picture quality.

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #455 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 AM

Liked: 23
Yikes! I'm glad a bought mine before that review was out.
EC-EXCURSION likes this.
post #456 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 AM

Can anyone help me out with the calibration to reduce some of the banding issues on this set? I think someone in the thread said they were successful in reducing it or maybe even getting rid of it. I have one particularly noticeable vertical one on panning shots or very light pictures. Very fait but now that I see it it is annoying.
post #457 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 10:54 AM

Do you guys agree with the review?
post #458 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I tried two 55" sets and my big issue on both was horrible lightbleed/clouding. Interesting, considering the review mentioned good uniformity. Honestly, I could get over lighter blacks and saturation as long as uniformity is good.

So long story short: my experiences don't parallel this review, but I still wouldn't recommend this TV.
post #459 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 02:10 PM

No I don't agree with the review. I especially take exception to the 3D part of the review with regard to the ghosting and crosstalk. I just watched the scenes he referred to in Hugo, him reaching for the mouse at 5:01, the tuning pegs on the guitar at 7:49, the face of the dog and I see none of the ghosting and crosstalk that he describes. He also states that he sees it pretty much everywhere? Either the glasses are defective or the set is defective.

This TV has the same or better 3D than the couple of year old LG 47LW5600 I have in another room. Calling it the worst he has seen tells me his set is not operating correctly. I am wowed by 3D on cable, after recording to Tivo and on Blu-ray. Yes the other artifacts associated with the passive panel (line structure) are there but I accept those as part of the current passive tech.

Some other points that he made I agree with. My set has excellent uniformity, the sound is pretty bad from the speakers so it really needs an external system to play through.

I find it irritating that LG didn't build the RF receiver for the Smart remote into all it's 2013 sets. I didn't mind paying for the remote separately, but people are selling just the remote and causing confusion when people try to use it and it doesn't work because it needs the RF dongle to do so. Stupid decision by LG.

Other things I take some issue with:

Black level is OK for me and could be better overall but this is currently around $700 on Amazon for the 47 inch model. Compared to their Editors Picks I am sure it is bad but the cheapest of those is twice the price of the LG. I would expect better performance for twice the money. It can be calibrated to be acceptable, not amazing.

I also watch this in daylight and don't have an issue with the picture being washed out or losing detail. I did apply the settings from the ShowroomCali posting and did not watch much before doing so.

He complained about too many calibration points. Really? you prefer 10? He says it didn't work well in testing but doesn't elaborate on what didn't work. LG evidently provides too many options resulting in his term of overkill for this and Color Management.

Of course the review is about the 47 inch model but the "What You'll Pay" link at the bottom of the review takes you to the Amazon page for the 60 inch model at the same price as the Ed's Pick for the Panny TC-PST series so we can compare apples to donuts I guess. Corrected as noted below

Last but not least the Smart interface IS cluttered because every possible app is crammed onto the screen or else people would complain like they have about the lack of even one, namely Amazon Instant. The firmware update last week to 04.00.20 resolved that issue and I would hope he would update the review, which was just published yesterday, to reflect that. HBO GO would be nice but not an app I personally miss on this set.

Everybody has different expectations with regard to picture quality and set functionality. I think his expectations for a $700 set that also does 3D exceeded his reality.

Based on my experience I would recommend this set as what it is. A nice, good looking mid price LED direct set that has 3D. Everything is relative isn't it?
Primestar31 and avsmickey like this.
post #460 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 03:20 PM

I don't agree with the uniformity, black level, or 3D comments.
I have no light bleed or banding on my 47. My blacks were grey until I plugged showroom Cali's settings and then they were great.
The 3D I've watched has been great. Love being able to control the depth.
Jayadub likes this.
post #461 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 05:31 PM

Liked: 11
I did reduce my banding by changing a few settings. Here mine are and they are just to my eye, I have yet to calibrate with a Disk. First, my definition of banding - if the TV displayed a gradient from say black to gray it would show as severe stepping of shades and not a gradual transition. It would be very evident in scenes staged in space with illumination. The settings I settled on sacrifices some brightness and I am also a complete hack so try these with that in mind. I can still get some banding but I'm sure those are now to blame on the source material and not the TV.

For Diectv I experienced some juddering on certain channels until I set it to Game mode. Have yet to see any judder on DTV since.

Directv settings-

Energy Saving: Off
Picture Mode: Game
Back Light: 45
Contrast:90
Brightness:50
Sharpness: 10
Color: 65
Tint: 0
Color Temp: 0
Gama: Low
Black Level: Low

All other settings are either not accessible or set to off.

Edit to back the color down to 65.
Back Light up to 45.
Contrast down to 90.

I think this gives me a very deep rich picture that is JUDDER FREE.

My setting would probably make a Calibrator vomit but it works for me and the blacks are deep!
post #462 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 05:36 PM

I'm starting to enjoy 3D more and more. For extreme pop to show your friends watch this video from the youtube app. It made my nephew hide a few times. Some of it is pretty silly with a camera but the snake, poker and Machete are cool!
post #463 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayadub View Post

Of course the review is about the 47 inch model but the "What You'll Pay" link at the bottom of the review takes you to the Amazon page for the 60 inch model at the same price as the Ed's Pick for the Panny TC-PST series so we can compare apples to donuts I guess.

I think that's my fault. CNET uses the same review for all sizes in the model line (because they use the same technology). However, I am shopping for a 60-inch TV so I linked to the web page for the 60-inch model.
Jayadub likes this.

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #464 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 09:06 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Anybody know what the new software update does? This is in reference to 4.00.20 update.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4
post #465 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 10:51 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbienoob View Post

Anybody know what the new software update does? This is in reference to 4.00.20 update.

LG doesn't provide firmware change notes. It did finally load an "Amazon" app for sure and there's now an "M GO" app (I'm not sure if that was already there, but if so I didn't notice it) that is a .99 cent movie rentals thing.

I'm not sure what else it did, if anything.
Jayadub likes this.
post #466 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbienoob View Post

Adds the Amazon Instant Video app and supposed to improve browser function. What else there is, no iidea. I keep looking for a back door to the service menu to see if local dimming or THX modes or Time Machine are available like in the 2010 and 11 models but nothing yet.
post #467 of 744 Old 08-27-2013, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

I think that's my fault. CNET uses the same review for all sizes in the model line (because they use the same technology). However, I am shopping for a 60-inch TV so I linked to the web page for the 60-inch model.

Yeah that was silly of me. Thanks. Clicking on the 47 inch button fixed the link to the price.
post #468 of 744 Old 08-28-2013, 05:51 AM

I now have put my set back to the defaults after I realized I was chasing my tail by trying to calibrate to any certain Directv channel. I now just flip from preset to preset after accepting some channels are just not going to look as clean as others. My old Hitachi rear projection 720p hid a lot of ugliness on Sat. TV I guess. Find the right program or Bluray and I am very impressed by this LA6200.
Jayadub likes this.
post #469 of 744 Old 08-28-2013, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodie301 View Post

I don't agree with the uniformity, black level, or 3D comments.
I have no light bleed or banding on my 47. My blacks were grey until I plugged showroom Cali's settings and then they were great.
The 3D I've watched has been great. Love being able to control the depth.

This, I agree 100% with this.
post #470 of 744 Old 08-29-2013, 09:02 AM

Anyone having problems with Netflix after the update? Youtube works and I don't have Prime, but Netflix hasn't been able to load for me.
post #471 of 744 Old 08-29-2013, 11:44 AM

My Netflix loads but I've noticed the smart function as a whole being about 5 times slower to load anything since update
post #472 of 744 Old 08-29-2013, 12:37 PM

It seems like this tv is getting bad mojo after the update.. I was deciding to get it but now i'm confused
post #473 of 744 Old 08-29-2013, 03:04 PM

I don't know what it is, but now the TV won't connect to my internet. I have input the correct password several times and it says it cannot connect. I reset the TV and still not connecting. Such a pain because other than this hiccup, I really love the TV.

EDIT: Everything was resolved after restarting my router. It's weird, all the other devices connected to my wifi have been working fine so I had no reason to suspect the router was the issue.
post #474 of 744 Old 08-29-2013, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
I agree, response time to the remote control is shot to Hell in the new firmware. I am NOT happy about that! I wanted the Amazon app, but not at the expense of bad response to remote commands.

Apquijano, I don't use the wireless as I have an ethernet cable direct to the tv, but I have experienced that same issue when another device on my network attempted to grab the SAME IP address the tv was already using.

The fix is to go into your router settings, and to RESERVE a permanent IP address to the tv set, and to stretch out the setting for IP reservations to the maximum. That way even the dynamic stuff won't switch IP's every 24 hours, and the tv should stay happy.
post #475 of 744 Old 08-29-2013, 04:23 PM

Remote response has suffered since the update. Scrolling on an internet page is either none or all at once, meaning there will be no response to scrolling on the remote or iPad app then all of a sudden it has scrolled to the bottom. My Netflix is still available though. Everything does seem slower.
post #476 of 744 Old 09-06-2013, 06:49 AM

I feel I need to reply to the CNET review of these sets. I have a 55 inch version as well as another well reviewed plasma 3d set. The review is sadly lacking.
I don't think any equipment was defective, nor can I argue with technical measurement. However I believe the error in the subjective 3d assessment was improper vertical
viewing arrangement. The vertical viewing angles on these sets (and I believe any LCD in 3d mode) is tight while the horizontal viewing angles are generous.
You MUST view from eye level perhaps at least 3 meters away. Once above eye level, the 3d effect eventually becomes lost with severe crosstalk as described by CNET.
The CNET reviewers should be aware of this and have done an injustice that should be corrected. The "Hardware Zone" has more properly assessed the 3d performance of the Lg passive sets.

I can state my experience that when properly viewed, there is no better 3d to be had than with these sets. The effect is startling clear, with virtually no errors. Superior to my plasma.
So, if you want the best in 3d viewing, with good lcd 2d performance, this line is for you.
Jayadub likes this.
post #477 of 744 Old 09-06-2013, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 243
I find it funny that CNET praises the Vizio M-series for black levels but says the LG is not that good. What CNET doesn't stress enough with there Vizio M-series review is that you need to turn smart dimming on to get those great black levels but, that introduces bad flashlighting whenever there are bright objects surround by dark objects. With Smart dimming turned off, the Vizio I had was more grey then black. This is one of the reasons I exchanged mine for the LG 55LA6200. The black levels are not the best I've seen on the LG but, they are much better then the Vizio IMO. I still have some issues with the LG (some DSE or banding, some lightbleed at the top edge and bottom right corner) but, I have found issues with every LCD TV I've looked at.

I have no complaints about the 3D, looks just as good as the Vizio did IMO.

I'm glad I didn't see that review before I got the LG because I probably wouldn't have given it a chance if I had. I'm happier with the LG then I was with the Vizio.

PSN ID: RollTide1017
post #478 of 744 Old 09-06-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Nobody is paying a damn bit of attention to the GA6400 series thread and as a new owner of that TV, I have a question. Can someone point me to, or post, their 3D settings, because for the life of me, I can't figure out the "best" settings, as I am a complete newbie to 3D. I know the 6200 set isn't the same as the 6400, but they are bound to be close enough that this would give me a starting point. Thanks.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

post #479 of 744 Old 09-06-2013, 02:32 PM

In regards to the Cnet review: I'd have to agree with their score but disagree with their reasoning.

I've tested two of the 60" versions of this set, and I never had a problem with 3D at all. Nor did I find black levels to be bad for a set with no local dimming.

However, they said that the set was very uniform, and that's something I can't agree with. Both of my sets suffered from distracting banding and DSE. Furthermore, the lag was enough to be noticeable to me during fast action games. They only tested a 47-inch set, so that probably explains their great uniformity. It's harder to achieve on larger sets.
post #480 of 744 Old 09-07-2013, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jblank74 View Post

Nobody is paying a damn bit of attention to the GA6400 series thread and as a new owner of that TV, I have a question. Can someone point me to, or post, their 3D settings, because for the life of me, I can't figure out the "best" settings, as I am a complete newbie to 3D. I know the 6200 set isn't the same as the 6400, but they are bound to be close enough that this would give me a starting point. Thanks.

Anyone? At all?

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Carl Sagan (1980)

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55 Inch Class Cinema 3d Smart Led Tv Smartv 55lm6400 , Lg Electronics 55ln5400 55 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Share , Lg Electronics 39ln5700 39 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Lg Electronics 47la6200 47 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page