Anyone bought LG LA6200? - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 745 Old 11-05-2013, 01:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Hey guys just to let you know that those CNET calibration settings are good but not perfect. I had my LG50la6200 calibrated by an ISF company and the picture looks great compared to CNET settings now. smile.gif. The CNET settings were too dark and would crush the blacks, this tv doesn't have the best blacks but color on the other hand were almost perfect. I would highly recommend getting some one to calibrate your TV's because it is a night and day difference. One more thing is some of my banding issues and juttering have dissipated not gone but less prominent since calibration. Also this tv is not a sports watching tv and more of a movie tv, my firmware is 4.00.20 just to let you know.

WrageJTF2 I have to agree with you, I just did the CNET settings and they were too dark and the colors were washed out, not very vibrant. I kinda liked the colors when it got to 70 but it looks off still, and I'm no calibrator so its hard for me to get the picture I want.

I know people say to use the AVS disk because every piece of equipment is different but looking at the write up I don't know how well I could do it plus the TV has the Wizard 2 calibration which didn't come out all that great for me either.

Any other calibrations out there?

How much does it cost to get a 42" professionally calibrated and do they need to get to the back of the TV, because its in the armoire pretty tight?

To WrageJTF2, I watch all the major sports, so your saying this TV is not going to display sports very well even with it being professionally calibrated?

Would the Samsung 40” UN40F6400 or the Vizio E420-DA0 be a better option then this TV especially for 3D, Black Levels, Watching Sports, Gaming Systems?

Any info please chime in, because I have time to return it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 745 Old 11-05-2013, 03:41 PM

Hello uvman23, don't get me wrong this tv is a great tv for the money, in order to get good blacks your going to have to spend a good chunk of money for it. The cost for a calibration for me was $250 and it was worth every penny.
I recommend you use the YouTube app on your tv and type in dse (dirty screen effect)in the search engine and test your tv to see how bad it is. Not all TV's have dse bad, but some have it worse than others.
I have both xbox360 and ps3 running on this tv and it works very well with little or no lag playing them. The 3d on this tv is amazing and if you have avatar or hobbit you will understand how well it works(WOW) all I can say.
Sports on this tv are good if you watch football, baseball, golf etc. when it comes to hockey (I'm Canadian) then you will notice some dse because of the ice rink. I have sucked up the small dse effects I get when watching because everything else on the tv works very well. This tv for me is just a in between until the 4k's come down in price. If I can answer more of your questions feel free to ask K! smile.gif
post #543 of 745 Old 11-08-2013, 04:25 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrageJTF2 View Post

Hey guys just to let you know that those CNET calibration settings are good but not perfect. I had my LG50la6200 calibrated by an ISF company and the picture looks great compared to CNET settings now. smile.gif. The CNET settings were too dark and would crush the blacks, this tv doesn't have the best blacks but color on the other hand were almost perfect. I would highly recommend getting some one to calibrate your TV's because it is a night and day difference. One more thing is some of my banding issues and juttering have dissipated not gone but less prominent since calibration. Also this tv is not a sports watching tv and more of a movie tv, my firmware is 4.00.20 just to let you know.

How do you figure ? Football never looked so good on my LG..and I have had Vizio's and Samsung's.....

I encourage y'all to write or call LG and ask for a firmware update , please mention to them the juttering issue.

http://www.lg.com/us/support
post #544 of 745 Old 11-09-2013, 06:02 PM

Sorry I should clarify that yes this tv Is good for football, golf, car racing etc. but the one sport I really enjoy this tv does poorly on and that is HOCKEY. I am Canadien and that is our past time, like baseball is to Americans. With the ice on the rinks you see DSE (dirty screen effect) not a lot but enough for it to be distracting while watching. frown.gif This tv is very good at everything else and I have learned to put up with the DSE and I'm fine with that. smile.gif Hope that sets everything straight
post #545 of 745 Old 11-09-2013, 06:23 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrageJTF2 View Post

Sorry I should clarify that yes this tv Is good for football, golf, car racing etc. but the one sport I really enjoy this tv does poorly on and that is HOCKEY. I am Canadien and that is our past time, like baseball is to Americans. With the ice on the rinks you see DSE (dirty screen effect) not a lot but enough for it to be distracting while watching. frown.gif This tv is very good at everything else and I have learned to put up with the DSE and I'm fine with that. smile.gif Hope that sets everything straight

yeah I catch a very slight amount of dse on a real fast pan of the camera..but on my set it really is minimal.... ..the backlight is pretty much even ,with no banding.
post #546 of 745 Old 11-10-2013, 02:45 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy2719 View Post

Does this set come with the NFC tag in the box?
mine did,however I have absolutely no idea what to do with it.confused.gif
post #547 of 745 Old 11-10-2013, 10:35 AM

Hey Jon44a, see that's the problem with hockey it's nothing but fast pan and I always see it. I have no banding issues and my backlight to is also pretty even too. I have a 46" Sony 6 year old XBR4 and it has absolutely no dse and can give this tv a run for its money. Just wish they would take care and make quality products nowadays and stop rushing products out the door just to make a dollar.
post #548 of 745 Old 11-11-2013, 06:11 AM

I'm not sure what this whole "banding" and "dirty screen issue" is, can someone explain? I haven't noticed anything particularly wrong with the picture looking off, in fact it looks incredibly uniform across the screen no matter what I'm watching (I especial love the way football looks). It was actually the first thing that really blew me away regarding the picture, aside from the clarity. 

My only issue I noticed is when I have the Trumotion setting on 2 or above, its usually set to 3/Smooth-my wife enjoys the look, when objects or people move fast across the screen sometimes there's a weird stutter that happens to the object (sometimes it looks like a distortion around a person/object) or the picture can distort when the camera pans really fast. I first noted this when testing the Avengers Blu Ray (non 3D version, I don't remember seeing it while watching the Into Darkness 3D Blu Ray on Smooth but I was not looking for it). I've also seen it when using video apps or watching TV. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. If I have Trumotion off or down to just 0 or 1 (or set to game mode playing PS3) the problem goes away and that smooth look goes away, which sometimes my wife isn't happy about depending on the content. I did send an email over to LG so that at least it'll be noted. 

post #549 of 745 Old 11-11-2013, 11:49 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by witness30 View Post

My only issue I noticed is when I have the Trumotion setting on 2 or above, its usually set to 3/Smooth-my wife enjoys the look, when objects or people move fast across the screen sometimes there's a weird stutter that happens to the object (sometimes it looks like a distortion around a person/object) or the picture can distort when the camera pans really fast. I first noted this when testing the Avengers Blu Ray (non 3D version, I don't remember seeing it while watching the Into Darkness 3D Blu Ray on Smooth but I was not looking for it). I've also seen it when using video apps or watching TV. It doesn't happen all the time, but it does happen. If I have Trumotion off or down to just 0 or 1 (or set to game mode playing PS3) the problem goes away and that smooth look goes away, which sometimes my wife isn't happy about depending on the content. I did send an email over to LG so that at least it'll be noted. 

That's called "Judder", and it can be quite annoying.

That's the only problem I have noticed on my 42la6200, besides the speakers not sounding good. I cured the speaker problem with a Vizio soundbar that I already owned. I have NONE of the other issues others are complaining about. I think this is the best tv set I have EVER owned.
post #550 of 745 Old 11-13-2013, 02:58 PM

Hello people,

I'm new to the forum and wanted your opinions for my purchase of a 32" tv [YES, we do have 32" back here in my place]. I plan to purchase a 32" [max. due to severe space constraints] LG 32LA6200 model. My question is

1. Is there a difference in PQ or performance btw the LA6200 and LA6620 models?

2. How is the PQ when SD [standard definition] content is played on it? How is the upscale engine wrt to the same?

3. DivX HD - what formats does it support? Does the LA6200 play .mp4, .mkv, .ts  etc., files? 

4. Does it recognize an external HDD which is more than 1TB/2TB in NTFS file format?

5. Will my 3D experience be different in a 32" tv? I see a lot of you mention that 3D is better when viewed on a 42" and above sets. 

It would be really helpful if you could answer them all. Thank you.

Regards.

post #551 of 745 Old 11-14-2013, 05:06 AM

So last night I tried the picture wizard thing for the first time and I have to say it did change two settings quite a bit over the CNET settings, brightness and contrast. The brightness was too low and the contrast was set considerably too low as well according to the test. It did seem like the picture was too dark before and I was losing details and I'm really happy with the picture after, which I applied to my TV antenna and Apps.

I also used the picture test on my Up Blu Ray and calibrated the picture for movies and again the settings were not correct based on the CNET settings, notably again the Brightness and Contrast were off. Especially the Contrast because I have the Super White settings turned On on my PS3. I then did the 3D conversion and set my 3D settings as well. After all of that I have to say that I am really happy with the picture in all the different formats, and I am done fiddling around with the picture. 

post #552 of 745 Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 AM

So on the calibrations settings below posted on this forum I'm not sure where to change the 10/20 point grayscale under ISF1? Anyone know?

LG 47LA6200 Direct Lit LED/LCD
Target Gamma - 2.1
Actual Gamma - 2.01
dE- 1.98

Expert Mode 1
Backlight- 80
Contrast- 82
Brightness- 44
H Sharpness- 22
V Sharpness- 20
Color- 50
Tint- 0 (Neutral)
Gamma- 2.2

CMS Settings (Saturation, Tint, Luminance)
R= -2,4,7
G= 10,4,-6
B= 6,3,-4
C= 6,3,9
M= 3,0,3
Y= 7,3,2

10/20 Point Grayscale

R/G/B
05: -3, -6, -22.
10: -2,-6,-28
15: 0,0,0
20: -7,-10,-16
25: -4,0,-3
30: -15,-7,22
35: 0,0,0
40: -27,-18,12
45: 0,0,0
50: -34,-20,16
55: -34,-16,0
60: -45,-31,8
65: -33,-13,15
70: -48,-20,20
75: -26,-16,10
80: -38, -28,20
85: -28,-16,10
90: -44,-29,24
95: -8,-2,3
100: 4,-14,2

Color Gamut: BT709
Color Temp: Warm 2
All enhancements: OFF
Real Cinema: On
post #553 of 745 Old 11-15-2013, 05:38 PM

Can anyone confirm if you can completely shut off trumotion in 3d mode?

I ask b/c the active shutter sets give me headaches, and earlier tonight I looked at a different LG model (7600, iirc) in 3d mode and it also gave me a horrible headache. It was a 240hz set, and I do sometimes get a headache from our older 2d Samsung when I turn on 120hz mode. The 240hz tv gave me a much worse headache than our 120hz does, about the same as active 3d sets.

3d at the movie theater gives me no headache whatsoever. And I checked out an LG passive set last year (may have been the 6200) for a few minutes and didn't get a headache.

I just want to make sure that if the trumotion/smoothmotion/whatever setting is causing the problem, I can shut it off and still enjoy 3d. And the 55la6200 is the main set I'm considering right now.

/alternately, now I'm wondering if it could be trumotion alone and not necessarily active shutter glasses that give me headaches... but it's probably not
post #554 of 745 Old 11-16-2013, 10:35 AM

Thanks a lot for all the info and settings that you guys posted. Just picked up the 42LA6200 today at BB for $600 plus tax after i had them do a price match with amazon. The only settings i haven't really seen yet are ones for game mode. Not sure if any gamers are in here that could possible share theres. Thanks.
post #555 of 745 Old 11-16-2013, 11:32 AM

I get a noticeable input lag when I play games on my PC in gaming mode. (not getting any lag when play my xbox360), is there a way to fix it?
post #556 of 745 Old 11-17-2013, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabot View Post

I get a noticeable input lag when I play games on my PC in gaming mode. (not getting any lag when play my xbox360), is there a way to fix it?

Sorry i'm not using it for gaming on a PC, but i can assure that on the Ps3, theres no lag. What aspect ratio are people watching this tv on?
post #557 of 745 Old 11-17-2013, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Parsons View Post

CNET is out with an underwhelming review of LG's LA6200 series. They give it 2.5 stars out of 5. CNET is fairly strict with their ratings. Even their favorite products rarely get more than 4 stars.

As a follow up, I'm finding very little correlation between reviews from various sources. For example, CNET panned this TV, but Consumer Reports lists the 47LA6200 as a recommended model (although they rate the more expensive LG 47LA6900 higher). Consumer Reports even lists the LA6200 in their November 2013 "Best of the Year" issue. Reviewers on Amazon rate the LA6200 4.4/5.0 stars. LCD TV Buying Guide gives the 55" model an overall score of 8.6/10.0 and lists it as an Editor's Choice for Value.

To emphasize the inconsistency of reviews, compare CNET's ratings for the LG 55LA8600. The U.S. version of CNET gives the LA8600 an underwhelming 3.0/5.0 stars. But, the Asian version of CNET gives the same TV 4.0/5.0 stars and awards it a CNET Editor's Choice award. CNET Asia even ranks the LG LA8600 as the very best full HDTV (even beating plasmas), as does Consumer Reports. Reviewers on Amazon, meanwhile, only give the LA8600 a 3.7/5.0 rating.
mustafa811 likes this.

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #558 of 745 Old 11-19-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabot View Post

Where to enable the gaming mode?  My model is 60LA6200。 I cannot find an option in the menu related to game or gaming mode.  Thanks.

post #559 of 745 Old 11-19-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheLongbow View Post

Where to enable the gaming mode?  My model is 60LA6200。 I cannot find an option in the menu related to game or gaming mode.  Thanks.

Press the AV Mode button on the remote and select Game. You can make any adjust you need to after that in Settings. 

post #560 of 745 Old 11-19-2013, 09:29 PM

LG smart TVs are being accused of reporting all users' viewing habits to LG, even including files accessed via USB drive. See the following articles:

The solution is to tell your router to block the URL smartshare.lgtvsdp.com.
Primestar31 and falkun like this.

VUDU Terms of Service:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #561 of 745 Old 11-20-2013, 05:46 AM

All of those articles are based on the original by DoctorBeet.  But I'm glad I found this post.

post #562 of 745 Old 11-21-2013, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by falkun View Post

All of those articles are based on the original by DoctorBeet.  But I'm glad I found this post.

That's correct. There is now confirmation from another user--and LG--that LG smart TVs are engaging in this behavior. See:

LG has issued an official response:
Quote:
At LG, we are always aiming to improve our Smart TV experience. Recently, it has been brought to our attention that there is an issue related to viewing information allegedly being gathered without consent. Our customers’ privacy is a very important part of the Smart TV experience so we began an immediate investigation into these claims. Here’s what we found:

Information such as channel, TV platform, broadcast source, etc. that is collected by certain LG Smart TVs is not personal but viewing information. This information is collected as part of the Smart TV platform to deliver more relevant advertisements and to offer recommendations to viewers based on what other LG Smart TV owners are watching. We have verified that even when this function is turned off by the viewers, it continues to transmit viewing information although the data is not retained by the server. A firmware update is being prepared for immediate rollout that will correct this problem on all affected LG Smart TVs so when this feature is disabled, no data will be transmitted.

It has also been reported that the names of media files stored on external drives such as USB flash devices are being collected by LG Smart TVs. While the file names are not stored, the transmission of such file names was part of a new feature being readied to search for data from the internet (metadata) related to the program being watched in order to deliver a better viewing experience. This feature, however, was never fully implemented and no personal data was ever collected or retained. This feature will also be removed from affected LG Smart TVs with the firmware update.

LG regrets any concerns these reports may have caused and will continue to strive to meet the expectations of all our customers and the public. We hope this update clears up any confusion.

Note the text I bolded above. Even after the firmware update, the transmitting of viewing information will be on by default. The end user must go into the TV's privacy settings and turn this feature off.

Unaddressed in LG's statement is the fact that LG is transmitting users' viewing habits in the clear, i.e. without encrypting it.
Quote:
What's more, since LG TVs are sending the data unencrypted, it's trivial for anyone on the same home or office network to monitor the communications. That data is similarly available to anyone who has the ability to monitor communications sent over the larger Internet.
Primestar31 likes this.

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #563 of 745 Old 11-23-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dippitaurus View Post

Hello people,

I'm new to the forum and wanted your opinions for my purchase of a 32" tv [YES, we do have 32" back here in my place]. I plan to purchase a 32" [max. due to severe space constraints] LG 32LA6200 model. My question is

1. Is there a difference in PQ or performance btw the LA6200 and LA6620 models?

2. How is the PQ when SD [standard definition] content is played on it? How is the upscale engine wrt to the same?

3. DivX HD - what formats does it support? Does the LA6200 play .mp4, .mkv, .ts  etc., files? 

4. Does it recognize an external HDD which is more than 1TB/2TB in NTFS file format?

5. Will my 3D experience be different in a 32" tv? I see a lot of you mention that 3D is better when viewed on a 42" and above sets. 

It would be really helpful if you could answer them all. Thank you.

Regards.

As to question #4, I cannot get my 32LA6200 to recognise NTFS at all. Can anyone else confirm this?

post #564 of 745 Old 11-24-2013, 12:07 AM

I can confirm I have a 1TB WD NTFS drive on one of the usb ports on my 42LA6200 tv. Works just fine. It's powered by a separate power brick. If yours is NOT powered by a separate power supply, that may be the problem.
post #565 of 745 Old 11-24-2013, 02:49 AM

Yeah, it appears to be a problem with NTFS 3G for Mac. Formatted with a PC and it works.
post #566 of 745 Old 11-24-2013, 03:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 852
What exactly is the difference between the 6200 and 6300? Thanks.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #567 of 745 Old 11-24-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

What exactly is the difference between the 6200 and 6300? Thanks.

The LG LA6200 exists and the LG LA6300 does not exist.

Are you trying to compare the LG LA6200 with the Samsung F6300? If so, they are made by different companies and the Samsung F6300 doesn't do 3D, but has a better Smart TV system. The LG LA6200 is probably more comparable with Samsung's F6400 because they are both 3D TVs. Also, the LA6200 is direct lit (and thus thicker), while the Samsung TVs are edge lit (and thin).

Or perhaps are you trying to compare the LG LA6200 with the LG GA6400?

VUDU Terms of Service:

post #568 of 745 Old 11-24-2013, 09:26 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 852
lol My apologies. Thats what I get for trying to keep up with 50 threads at a time. Literally. I meant to post in a Samsung thread. I have been eyeing the LG6200 for a while though.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #569 of 745 Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I was a little confused by CNET's calibration. The author wrote: "Color was also similarly superb, so much so that we didn't perform any tweaks of the color management system." Later, he proceeds to list settings for the color management system...after recommending no changes.

Are we to apply these, or keep everything zeroed, as initially suggested? Am I confusing the color management system with a different menu?

Here's how it appears:
Quote:
--Color management system submenu--
[no changes; all settings "0"]

Red: [Saturation 6. Tint 3, Luminance 3]
Green: [Saturation -2. Tint 6, Luminance 6]
Blue: [Saturation 0, Tint 0, Luminance 0]
Cyan: [Saturation 0. Tint 4, Luminance 4]
Magenta: [Saturation 20. Tint 0, Luminance 0]
Yellow: [Satu
ration 0. Tint 0, Luminance 0]

I thought CNET's calibration of the LM7600 was epic, and I want to be sure I have these correct before assessing. Thanks! And if I don't find these satisfactory, what's the next best bet in any available online calibration for the LA6200?
post #570 of 745 Old 11-25-2013, 12:47 AM

CNET's settings were TERRIBLE on my 42LA6200. Just use the built-in "Picture Wizard II" (located on the bottom of the PICTURE settings), and tweak it per instructions. It'll come out right for YOU and your environment.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55 Inch Class Cinema 3d Smart Led Tv Smartv 55lm6400 , Lg Electronics 55ln5400 55 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Share , Lg Electronics 39ln5700 39 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Lg Electronics 47la6200 47 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page