Anyone bought LG LA6200? - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 743 Old 02-12-2014, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the LA6200 60" for a few months now and suddenly noticing light bleed issues. I don't think this was there from the beginning so I'm wondering what might have changed. The set has been moved a bit recently after upgrading my AVR. Could something have been knocked askew?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 743 Old 02-13-2014, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscan View Post

I've had the LA6200 60" for a few months now and suddenly noticing light bleed issues. I don't think this was there from the beginning so I'm wondering what might have changed. The set has been moved a bit recently after upgrading my AVR. Could something have been knocked askew?

Are you viewing from the same angle, under similar viewing conditions--level of light in the room--with roughly the same picture adjustment? A change in any of these areas could make light bleed more noticeable...

Try to replicate your original environment, settings, see if the set seems its old self.

Then if it still seems seriously out of whack, maybe something's up with your set.
post #633 of 743 Old 02-15-2014, 08:45 PM

I noticed in the Cnet settings they can adjust the 'Black Level' setting under 'Picture Option'. But on mine it's greyed out. Am I missing some setting that makes it available? Pretty sure I have all the auto-adjusting features turned off.
post #634 of 743 Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YadGadge View Post

I noticed in the Cnet settings they can adjust the 'Black Level' setting under 'Picture Option'. But on mine it's greyed out. Am I missing some setting that makes it available? Pretty sure I have all the auto-adjusting features turned off.

As I remember it, black level isn't adjustable in "DTV" mode (greyed out and listed as "Auto"). So far in my experience, it's available with HDMI sources, Component, Composite...
post #635 of 743 Old 02-18-2014, 04:34 PM

55LA6205 firmware update available as of today, 2/18/14... Anyone have any idea what has changed? I can find nothing...

Version 05.03.06 currently... 05.04.14 available
post #636 of 743 Old 02-18-2014, 08:17 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK1982 View Post

55LA6205 firmware update available as of today, 2/18/14... Anyone have any idea what has changed? I can find nothing...

Version 05.03.06 currently... 05.04.14 available

There's no way to tell as LG doesn't EVER provide release notes. If you email them, they'll just give you stock answers that tell you nothing.
post #637 of 743 Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post

There's no way to tell as LG doesn't EVER provide release notes. If you email them, they'll just give you stock answers that tell you nothing.

I notice faster response time after the update, can anyone else confirm the same?

post #638 of 743 Old 02-18-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Yeah I emailed them before posting here...received a generic response that told me nothing, just like you said.

I'm hesitant to update since everything appears to be working fine at the moment.
post #639 of 743 Old 02-19-2014, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Esqueda View Post

I notice faster response time after the update, can anyone else confirm the same?

I think so; smart menus and features seem to open faster and more fluidly.

As for other possible changes: The Crackle app seems to have been pulled form the "Premium" section; its presence there always confused me, what with its being a free service. But I could use it on the fly, without having to create a smart app ID. Now it would seem I'll have to go through the Smart World registration process and reinstall it if I should want to use it again (it's still listed over there).

I did successfully use Crackle after the latest update and reboot once, so it's possible the change isn't due to the new firmware after all. I'll check my older LG, which didn't get a firmware update, and see if it's still listed under 'Premium.'
post #640 of 743 Old 02-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscan View Post

I have the same model in a larger size.. I had this same problem but it is fixable.. Take a soft non abrasive blanket and gently tough the screen with it until the problem goes away
post #641 of 743 Old 02-24-2014, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leksicon View Post

I have the same model in a larger size.. I had this same problem but it is fixable.. Take a soft non abrasive blanket and gently tough the screen with it until the problem goes away

is there any way for you to post a video detailing how you got rid of the issue? I've seen some on youtube but none of those are convincing IMO. Did you use a microfiber cloth or what do you mean by non-abrasive? was the TV on and displaying a black image?

post #642 of 743 Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 AM

got a replacement and guess what, no more backlight bleeding! been very happy with the tv, especially with true motion, tho i still notice some judder even if de-judder is set on 10.

but why can't update my tv thru internet connection, it says my version is up to date (4.04). i live in the philippines and bought the tv here. can i download the 5.03 update from LG USA support page and install it on my tv or will it mess up the software? thanks in advance :)

post #643 of 743 Old 02-25-2014, 10:59 AM

I wonder if someone could please offer me some advice, and please let me know if there is a more appropriate place to ask this question.

I bought the LG LA6230 50" around September last year. In the last couple of days it has begun 'rebooting' for lack of a better word during playback of media from my HTPC and TiVO boxes. When the issue happens, the screen blanks, quickly followed by the LG logo you are presented with when you first turn on the TV. It is intermittent, but on some nights it can happen multiple times in a row roughly every 20 minutes. Both devices are connected through HDMI.

Initially I thought the issue was something simple like a flat battery in the remote, but sadly this is not the case. It is still under warranty, and after a quick call to the shop I purchased it from I was told to run the TV off the antenna (Freeview) to see whether the problem still occurs. I haven't been able to recreate the issue via the Antenna.

I did notice my HDMI cable (a no-brand 5M cable that runs back to my HTPC) was causing interference with the Freeview reception on the Antenna - could this cable also be the result of this rebooting issue? I have another cable on order to rule this possibility out or should I just be returning this TV for repair? Is this a common issue? (Google seems to suggest a PSU problem)
post #644 of 743 Old 03-05-2014, 09:25 AM

I'm still on the stock firmware but tempted to update now, does anyone have release notes of what the latest update fixed.
post #645 of 743 Old 03-05-2014, 12:30 PM

Just a quick update to my situation. I have replaced the HDMI cable between the HTPC and the TV which made no difference, I also came across a lot of forum posts about some upnp servers causing LG TVs to crash. Disabling network connectivity on the TV made no difference.

The shop I bought the set from has asked if I can bring in my TiVo box as supposedly there are some known issues between those and some TVs. It will be interesting to see whether having TiVo disconnected resolves the issue. I'm also going to remove my surge protector from the equation.
post #646 of 743 Old 03-05-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by championart View Post

I'm still on the stock firmware but tempted to update now, does anyone have release notes of what the latest update fixed.

LG doesn't provide release notes, period.

I have installed all the updates since last year, and haven't had any problems with them.
post #647 of 743 Old 03-05-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagoon View Post

Just a quick update to my situation. I have replaced the HDMI cable between the HTPC and the TV which made no difference, I also came across a lot of forum posts about some upnp servers causing LG TVs to crash. Disabling network connectivity on the TV made no difference.

The shop I bought the set from has asked if I can bring in my TiVo box as supposedly there are some known issues between those and some TVs. It will be interesting to see whether having TiVo disconnected resolves the issue. I'm also going to remove my surge protector from the equation.

Turn off SIMPLINK, and see what happens. INPUT button, Green button (under AV MODE button), Simplink 'OFF"
post #648 of 743 Old 03-05-2014, 08:53 PM

Quote:

Turn off SIMPLINK, and see what happens. INPUT button, Green button (under AV MODE button), Simplink 'OFF"

Thanks for the suggestion, but Simplink has been disabled already.

I can now rule out the TiVo box as with it disconnected the problem still occurred. I have a service scheduled for Monday, but I'm concerned the tech will not be able to replicate the issue and I'll be charged for a service fee and still have a TV that restarts automatically...

I'm going to try ruling out the surge protector next.
post #649 of 743 Old 03-05-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:

LG doesn't provide release notes, period.

I have installed all the updates since last year, and haven't had any problems with them.

Thanks i've been kinda skeptical about doing any updates. About to bite the bullet and finally update from stock firmware, holding my breath.
post #650 of 743 Old 03-09-2014, 12:06 AM

Just a quick update - it must be the power supply faulty in my TV as it won't even power on. I just get the boot logo followed by a popping noise. We'll see what the technician says about it all.
post #651 of 743 Old 03-09-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagoon View Post

Just a quick update - it must be the power supply faulty in my TV as it won't even power on. I just get the boot logo followed by a popping noise. We'll see what the technician says about it all.

My first 6200 died within a few hours of operation. Not completely, but--as in your case--there was a loud pop, followed by a buzzing sound over any audio monitored via the set's optical digital audio out. And for any analog video source, there were crawling bands of noise that hadn't been there before. Instant return.

No problems with the replacement, as yet, and I'm very happy with it.

Good luck with yours; I hope you're under warranty. Or better yet, within a 30 day return window in which you can get a quick turn-around replacement.

Not sure what it is that's gone bad in some of these; power source, capacitors, I don't know. But there would seem to be a few bad apples in the bushel.
post #652 of 743 Old 03-10-2014, 02:23 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 22
After reading through the whole thread and maybe I skipped over it, but did anyone ever enable the local dimming in the service menu? Also, how are black bars on 2:35 movie? Are they as dark as the bezel or do they glow quite a bit?
post #653 of 743 Old 03-12-2014, 04:03 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post

After reading through the whole thread and maybe I skipped over it, but did anyone ever enable the local dimming in the service menu? Also, how are black bars on 2:35 movie? Are they as dark as the bezel or do they glow quite a bit?

I haven't seen anyone post about accessing the service menu in any of the 2013 models. The previous methods of access, like using the LG app for Android devices don't work.

The bezel is kind of a gun metal grey not black on the LA6200 47 inch so not relevant for comparison. Seems that some sets are better than others but the black level is not that great to begin with. I don't have any flashlighting or overly bright areas to begin. Screen uniformity varies from unit to unit. Your experience may not be the same.
post #654 of 743 Old 03-12-2014, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayadub View Post

I haven't seen anyone post about accessing the service menu in any of the 2013 models. The previous methods of access, like using the LG app for Android devices don't work.

The bezel is kind of a gun metal grey not black on the LA6200 47 inch so not relevant for comparison. Seems that some sets are better than others but the black level is not that great to begin with. I don't have any flashlighting or overly bright areas to begin. Screen uniformity varies from unit to unit. Your experience may not be the same.

Thanks for the response. I can get into service menu because of my remote. Thats why i put that out there. Just wondering if anybody screwed around and ended up enabling it. To get their black levels above acceptable.
post #655 of 743 Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 PM

Quote:

They glow a little, but you may find them acceptable if you can get your viewing conditions suitably dark and back off on the back-light to about 25. My magic combination for the best blacks is back-light 25, contrast 80, and brightness anywhere from 44 to 53 (the lower the better; anything short of masking detail in shadow).

No clue about enabling dimming. I wonder if--in LG's case--that's a feature limited to edge lit sets?
post #656 of 743 Old 03-13-2014, 02:40 PM

Liked: 12
As had mentioned earlier, I've calibrated my TV with backlight 28, generating a value 0.027ftl in black level and measuring a pattern in 100% white this generated 22.5 ftl.
I think the black levels could be improved from the service menu.
post #657 of 743 Old 03-14-2014, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the response. I can get into service menu because of my remote. Thats why i put that out there. Just wondering if anybody screwed around and ended up enabling it. To get their black levels above acceptable.

what kind of remote do you have to enter into service menu? can you post a picture or model #?

post #658 of 743 Old 03-14-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo Esqueda View Post

what kind of remote do you have to enter into service menu? can you post a picture or model #?

Model# 105-201M

Ps there a couple on ebay that are far too expensive. It should cost you between $30 and $40.
post #659 of 743 Old 03-19-2014, 07:04 PM

quick q...was flex removed? I cannot find it anywhere and nowhere to install it.

NVM..I've just rebooted the TV and it is back.

post #660 of 743 Old 03-19-2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBEN PORTILLO View Post

As had mentioned earlier, I've calibrated my TV with backlight 28, generating a value 0.027ftl in black level and measuring a pattern in 100% white this generated 22.5 ftl.
I think the black levels could be improved from the service menu.

Thanks, Ruben.

My calibration knowledge is limited, to say the least; could you explain the significance of those values?
RUBEN PORTILLO likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55 Inch Class Cinema 3d Smart Led Tv Smartv 55lm6400 , Lg Electronics 55ln5400 55 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Share , Lg Electronics 39ln5700 39 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Lg Electronics 47la6200 47 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page