Anyone bought LG LA6200? - Page 28 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #811 of 820 Old 06-20-2017, 07:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked: 422
Here is what Best Buy is offering as a replacement: Sony XBR-55850D. It doesn't have 3D but it is 4K. Seems like an upgrade and we didn't use the 3D much so that will not be missed.
Primestar31 likes this.

PSN ID: CrimsonNagus
XBL GT: Crimson Nagus (returning to XBL with Xbox One X)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 820 Old 06-25-2017, 03:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltide1017 View Post
For awhile now our LG keeps asking us to accept new TOS when we enter the apps menu every few days. Also, apps added to the quick menu disappear and have to be re-added every few days. Is anyone else seeing the same things, any know solution?

I just had my "Quick Menu" icon disappear from the My Apps menu, too. I re-added it--it seems to be staying put--and I did some looking around for other issues. Nothing performance-wise showed, but I did find "0KB/66GB" reported for storage space...when it used to show a significant amount consumed by apps, operating system, etc. Definitely unusual...and a bit concerning. The system software is present and running, so what gives? Dead system battery--if there is one--fried main board? I'm considering re-initializing...or updating the firmware (I never bothered to apply the one that removes Skype) to see if the set comes to its senses.

Anyone else see anything like this? There's something to be said for not borrowing trouble, but am I on the brink of component failure? For the record, the storage space info can be found by pressing My Apps on the LG remote, then selecting "more" at the top of the bar (storage is above the icon field on the right side of the screen)...

Last edited by JackN; 06-25-2017 at 03:48 AM. Reason: clarification
post #813 of 820 Old 06-25-2017, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackN View Post
I just had my "Quick Menu" icon disappear from the My Apps menu, too. I re-added it--it seems to be staying put--and I did some looking around for other issues. Nothing performance-wise showed, but I did find "0KB/66GB" reported for storage space...when it used to show a significant amount consumed by apps, operating system, etc. Definitely unusual...and a bit concerning. The system software is present and running, so what gives? Dead system battery--if there is one--fried main board? I'm considering re-initializing...or updating the firmware (I never bothered to apply the one that removes Skype) to see if the set comes to its senses.

Anyone else see anything like this? There's something to be said for not borrowing trouble, but am I on the brink of component failure? For the record, the storage space info can be found by pressing My Apps on the LG remote, then selecting "more" at the top of the bar (storage is above the icon field on the right side of the screen)...

Well, it didn't help the first time I tried, but I turned the set off and unplugged it for a while. The rear power cable might have been a tad loose... On re-boot, some reassuring developments: a few megs listed for Installed Apps, and the set remembered some layout changes I made with icons. Later, the LG displayed a more typical 2-plus GBs devoted to System files, a little for Installed Apps and 4GBS free.

I'll post to the board again my problems return...

post #814 of 820 Old 06-26-2017, 05:49 AM

Bummer: The issue persists. Back to strange data regarding storage space used, most of the time showing 0 of however many GBs utilized. Also, the slow to respond to remote commands is a bother as the set warms up. Otherwise, it continues to perform...so I guess I'll just use the set until it fails.

Then I might take a look at the possibility of the wiring harness coming loose and putting tension on component connectors--a problem with this model in the early going--before concluding I've got a bad main board, power source...or both.
post #815 of 820 Old 06-26-2017, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Bummer: The issue persists. Back to strange data regarding storage space used, most of the time showing 0 of however many GBs utilized. Also, the slow to respond to remote commands is a bother as the set warms up. Otherwise, it continues to perform...so I guess I'll just use the set until it fails.

Then I might take a look at the possibility of the wiring harness coming loose and putting tension on component connectors--a problem with this model in the early going--before concluding I've got a bad main board, power source...or both.
Go up to the LG.com site, and download the latest firmware to the ROOT of a USB drive. Power down your tv set, plug in the drive, power it back up, and follow the directions to reflash it.

It's possible that it'll then refresh everything, and work fine. It's worth a try anyway.

Last edited by Primestar31; 06-26-2017 at 01:39 PM.
post #816 of 820 Old 06-26-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
Go up to the LG.com site, and download the latest firmware to the ROOT of a USB drive. Power down your tv set, plug in the drive, power it back up, and follow the directions to reflash it.

It's possible that it'll then refresh everything, and work fine. It's worth a try anyway.

Thanks for the advice, Primestar31:

I'd been considering updating the firmware as a possible solution, but I was concerned I might brick the set if--due to hardware failure--it can't update the files. That said, is the USB method more stable (wireless functionality is still intact on my set, with the latest firmware detected in the cue)?

In addition to taking a look at the wiring harness, if I wasn't risking further damage to the television, I might just err on the side of doing nothing until the issues worsen; I have nothing to lose in that--even if they're affected--I don't use SMART features and the existing problems are only a mild nuisance.

Another thing I was considering: Factory Re-set in the menu (I think it's called 'Initial Setting'). Would that also re-flash the system's existing firmware?

Again, I appreciate your input.

Last edited by JackN; 06-26-2017 at 04:45 PM.
post #817 of 820 Old 06-26-2017, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, Primestar31:

I'd been considering updating the firmware as a possible solution, but I was concerned I might brick the set if--due to hardware failure--it can't update the files. That said, is the USB method more stable (wireless functionality is still intact on my set, with the latest firmware detected in the cue)?

In addition to taking a look at the wiring harness, if I wasn't risking further damage to the television, I might just err on the side of doing nothing until the issues worsen; I'd have nothing to lose in that--even if they're affected--I don't use SMART features and the existing problems are, at this point, only a "mild nuisance" level.

Another thing I was considering: Factory Re-set in the menu (I think it's called 'Initial Setting'). Would that also re-flash the system's existing firmware?

Again, I appreciate your input.
I've reflashed my 6200 ONCE a few months ago using the USB drive method, and had no issues. I think it's safer than updating it via wireless. Just make SURE the firmware you download is for your exact model version. My tv set is on a UPS though, as IF you had a power outage during the flash, that could brick it, but the flash goes pretty fast. As for a factory reset, NO it will not "reflash" the firmware, but it would zero-out everything back to as if it just came off the assembly line. That MIGHT be good enough and work for you, if you want to try that first.

If that doesn't work, go for the firmware reflash next. If that also doesn't work, (I'd bet it will work though) you've pretty much done all you could by then.

P.S. Mine started doing power cycling also. It turned out to be 2 bad LED's for the backlighting. It's a bitch to tear down the set to the point where you can replace the leds, but I did it, and now all my leds work again, and the tv no longer power cycles at random. I watched a Youtube video on how to do it. Let me warn you though, the SCREEN is so thin, (like paper) it's easy to chip it, and get a permanent line in it. That happened to me, (there was a thin spot, and my fingernail actually just barely chipped a tiny piece!) unfortunately, but it's the very right hand edge, so is still usable. Here's the video I used, as my la6200 had the same led strips as the model shown here:

Last edited by Primestar31; 06-26-2017 at 04:59 PM.
post #818 of 820 Old 06-26-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primestar31 View Post
I've reflashed my 6200 ONCE a few months ago using the USB drive method, and had no issues. I think it's safer than updating it via wireless. Just make SURE the firmware you download is for your exact model version. My tv set is on a UPS though, as IF you had a power outage during the flash, that could brick it, but the flash goes pretty fast. As for a factory reset, NO it will not "reflash" the firmware, but it would zero-out everything back to as if it just came off the assembly line. That MIGHT be good enough and work for you, if you want to try that first.

If that doesn't work, go for the firmware reflash next. If that also doesn't work, (I'd bet it will work though) you've pretty much done all you could by then.

P.S. Mine started doing power cycling also. It turned out to be 2 bad LED's for the backlighting. It's a bitch to tear down the set to the point where you can replace the leds, but I did it, and now all my leds work again, and the tv no longer power cycles at random. I watched a Youtube video on how to do it. Let me warn you though, the SCREEN is so thin, (like paper) it's easy to chip it, and get a permanent line in it. That happened to me, (there was a thin spot, and my fingernail actually just barely chipped a tiny piece!) unfortunately, but it's the very right hand edge, so is still usable. Here's the video I used, as my la6200 had the same led strips as the model shown here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bf5T2wwtydY

Thanks, Primestar31.

I'll let you know how things go. It was good to see the thread still active here and get some quality counsel on helping the ol' LA6200 "age successfully," keep it from going belly--or circuit boards--up.

Primestar31 likes this.
post #819 of 820 Old 06-26-2017, 11:28 PM

Update:

Well, I tried the least involved possible solution first and reverted to 'Initial Setting.' I really wanted to get down to brass tacks, so I was happy to see the set do a full re-boot. I understand it doesn't roll back firmware, but it really seemed to fundamentally reconstitute itself, accurately reporting used space in 'My Apps' and resolving the random weird lagging I was experiencing on remote commands. It's running like a new TV.

The real test, though, was seeing whether it all held after powering down and re-starting...and it did; even my moved icons stayed put.

In addition to all the other suggestions, looks like the 'Initial Setting' maneuver is well worth keeping in the bag of troubleshooting tricks. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

I'll report back whether this solution sticks...or not.

Primestar31 likes this.
post #820 of 820 Old 06-28-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Update:

I'll report back whether this solution sticks...or not.

It's a bit of a twice beaten dead horse at this point, but I do have my lasting fix. For review, the 'Initial Setting' re-set solved: Bad lagging on remote commands, occasional power cycling on input changes, lost icon placement...and erroneous storage space stats on the 'My Apps' page.

Primestar31 likes this.

Last edited by JackN; 06-28-2017 at 02:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55 Inch Class Cinema 3d Smart Led Tv Smartv 55lm6400 , Lg Electronics 55ln5400 55 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Share , Lg Electronics 39ln5700 39 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Lg Electronics 47la6200 47 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page