Anyone bought LG LA6200? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 707 Old 04-30-2013, 07:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does anyone know of an at home remedy for fixing light bleed? Like rubbing the screen or laying the thing face down? Any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 707 Old 04-30-2013, 08:38 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0887 View Post

Does anyone know of an at home remedy for fixing light bleed? Like rubbing the screen or laying the thing face down? Any thoughts
only one i know that works for sure is Returning it. I had two LG edge lits and both had the same issue. i tried pretty much everything like the rubbing and loosing the screws and nothing took care of the issues.
post #93 of 707 Old 04-30-2013, 08:44 AM

Thanks I will have a tech come out and just replace the panel
post #94 of 707 Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 10
FYI: Difference between 55LA6200 and 55LA6205
It seems that the only difference between the model numbers is that the 6205 is exclusive to Sam`s Club and is not available at the 60 inch size. According to the transcript of the painful 25 minute live chat session with LG, there are no apparent spec differences wink.gif

Orlando: Hello Charles. Welcome to LG Electronics U.S.A. Support only. How may I provide you with excellent service today?
Charles: hi
Charles: just had a quick question
Charles: what is the difference between the 55LA6200 and the 55LA6205
Charles: Orlando ?
Orlando: Let me see what I can do to assist you with this.
Charles: thank you
Charles: still there ?
Orlando: yes looking at the specs of the units
Charles: great thank you I will wait
Orlando: thanks for waiting have not found a difference of the models
Charles: they are exactly the same unit ?
Charles: they each have a different product page on lg.com and they are both available at different retailers
Orlando: that is correct have not been able to find any spec that is different from one model to the other
Charles: so why are there 2 model numbers ?
Charles: could you find out for me ?
Orlando: at the lg web site
Charles: yes why is the same tv sold with 2 different model numbers in the same market (U.S.A) There has to be some kind of difference ?
Orlando: yes they most be but i have not been able to see any difference when i compared the both units at the lg web site
Charles: If you were unable to spot the difference, maybe you could ask a Supervisor for help ?
Orlando: looking at the specs of the units at the web site will be same for me or the supervisor
Charles: So just to be clear... you think that there is probably a difference because there are 2 model numbers but you are unable to spot the difference by comparing the specs and your supervisor would not be able to either ? I am not trying to be difficult... but if I have the choice of buying both models, I would like to know which one to get.
Orlando: the 55la6200 is a model that is made for sale at Sam's Club
Charles: We are getting somewhere then smile.gif Okay thank you... it is a model number exclusive to Sam`s Club, but as far as you can tell it`s the exact same unit as the 55LA6205
Orlando: that is correct
Charles: Thank you for your help today Orlando
Orlando: well come have a nice day
post #95 of 707 Old 04-30-2013, 10:28 AM

Could it be the LA6205 includes the Magic Remote where as the 6200 doesn't? The LA5705 from Costco is this way as well

Tap-a-talked from my Galaxy Nexus
post #96 of 707 Old 04-30-2013, 11:18 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by camui78 View Post

Could it be the LA6205 includes the Magic Remote where as the 6200 doesn't?

According to the description on the Sam's Club website, the LA6205 DOES come with the Magic Remote whereas the normal LA6200 does not. Personally, as someone who has the Magic Remote at home and is annoyed by it, I'd rather get the normal remote but either way a good universal will get the job done.

In addition, the model numbers distributed to Sam's, Costco, etc. are always different so that those retailers can sell this model slightly cheaper, and other stores like Best Buy cannot be forced to pricematch since it is, in fact, a different model.
Quote:

Is that easier than just calling Best Buy out to replace the whole set? You just bought it and it would seem to be the quicker option than going through a repair.
luvmygadgets likes this.
post #97 of 707 Old 04-30-2013, 02:11 PM

quick question i remember seeing the unveiling of this tv as well as a few reviews but i did not have the nfc tag in my box. did any of you guys get the nfc tag?
post #98 of 707 Old 04-30-2013, 08:07 PM

Quote:

They didn't give you the LM6200 instead of the 55LA6200? Strange that is has that issue so either they did that or it's a bad panel (from reading other's experiences)

:)
post #99 of 707 Old 04-30-2013, 09:02 PM

It's definitely the la6200. It has got to just be a bad panel
post #100 of 707 Old 05-01-2013, 09:56 AM

Liked: 12
I did some input-lag test yesterday on the store in STANDARD and GAME MODE. Here are the results.

STANDARD MODE - FULLY UNPLAYABLE.

GAME MODE - FULLY PLAYABLE

as you can see if you are interested on a Gaming TV , you can go fine with this one.

According to this site.

http://www.displaylag.com/testing-method/
Quote:
Range: 21-41 ms

This rating is more lenient, and most fast HDTVs will fit under this category. Displays rated under this category are very responsive for fast paced games, and will suit most of your gaming needs. This is the rating you should look for if you want a quality gaming display that does not skimp too much on the image quality. Only the most analytic gamers will be able to tell the difference between GREAT and EXCELLENT displays.
post #101 of 707 Old 05-01-2013, 11:38 AM

With regards to the guy having light bleed issues - sounds like you have a bad panel. Return it, if possible.
post #102 of 707 Old 05-01-2013, 02:22 PM

I sent pics of the tv to best buy store manager and they will be swapping out the tv. Fingers crossed for a better panel. The picture on this thing is stunning!! Is anyone else having bleed issues? Mostly in the lower left or upper right corner
post #103 of 707 Old 05-01-2013, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

I sent pics of the tv to best buy store manager and they will be swapping out the tv. Fingers crossed for a better panel. The picture on this thing is stunning!! Is anyone else having bleed issues? Mostly in the lower left or upper right corner

You are the only person I've heard of with this problem. You shouldn't have this issue with another set I'd assume. The reason people are going with this set is because its backlit rather than edgelit, so we should be able to avoid this problem.
post #104 of 707 Old 05-01-2013, 03:22 PM

So I happened to go by my local Sam's Club on the way home last night and they had the 55LA6205 in stock and on display. I can now confirm with certainty that the unit does come with the smaller, gray magic remote. I played around with it and it does seem to be an improvement over the old black model in both comfort and responsiveness. The set looked fine and I couldn't see any clouding or light-bleed, but that's almost impossible to tell in a brightly-lit store. I DID think that I saw some slight vertical banding and DSE, as well as some pinkish hues on the far right side of the screen when it was all or mostly white. I am not sure, so I intend to go by there again with a USB drive with test material on it. I'll know for sure about screen uniformity then. I think the demo loops they run in the stores are specifically tailored to not show these issues if they exist.

The in-store price on the 55LA6205 was $1198, so that puts it slightly cheaper than the 55LA6200, plus you get the new magic remote in the box, if you care about that. I've often wondered if the Sams/Costco models of these sets are in some way lower quality than the standard versions (i.e. when the panels come off the line, they are separated into "good enough" and "better" piles and the discount models only get the "good enough" panels) but as far as I know this has never been proven.

After I test the floor model I'll decide whether I want to exchange my lm6400 for the 55" at Sams or just return it and order the 60" from Amazon.
post #105 of 707 Old 05-02-2013, 12:33 PM

I went by and evaluated the panel uniformity on the 55LA6205 last night. Here are the results:

- Panel uniformity is decent, with this 55" direct-LED model suffering from somewhat darker left and right edges, particularly in the corners. While not ideal, I find it much preferable to overly bright corners on the edge-lit sets and the flashlighting and clouding you often see there. Here is a picture of the set showing a solid white slide. Whites are not super-white on LG's sets, and it was obvious compared to the Samsung right below it which always seem to have the brightest, bluest whites, but I find that in a home environment this is something you never notice.

- If the set has any banding issues they are very minor compared to the ones I've seen on my edge-lit models. There IS some dirty-screen (DSE) going on which was pretty obvious during the long opening pan over the glacier in the Ice Age 2 trailer, but every LCD I've tried has suffered from this to some degree so I guess you just have to accept it if you don't want to go plasma. Here's a gray slide which usually will expose banding if present.

- I tried a solid-black slide and also one with a small white square in the middle to prevent the set from turning off the backlight completely. As I noted before, this is difficult to judge in-store, but I did not notice any clouding or backlight bleed so I didn't take a picture of it.

- Finally, someone asked if these sets were using IPS panels so I took a close-up of the screen. Here you can see the tell-tale chevron pattern indicating that this is an IPS panel.

So, I'd say the display model at the store was pretty decent, and a step above the LG edge-lits I've owned in uniformity. Of course, as we all know, the display model looking good means very little since there is so much variation in panel quality. As smp0887 can attest, what you get out of YOUR box is often a bit of a crapshoot and there is an element of luck involved.

I wonder if we should just turn this into the "Official LA6200/6205 Thread".

I'm seriously considering purchasing the 60LA6200 from Amazon. How is their return policy? Will it be easy to exchange if I get one with a bad flaw? What's the best way to go with extended warranties when purchasing from Amazon? Thanks!
post #106 of 707 Old 05-02-2013, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I finally fired up Playon server on my home theater pc, and the 42la6200 picks it up just fine as a dlna server choice. It's able to (so far what I've tried) play everything that Playon transcodes. By the way, I'm also using this tv as a HDMI monitor for the HTPC, and the picture is incredible for that use also.

If this tv keeps this good stuff up, I'm going to be able to get rid of my old WDTVLIVE box, as I won't have any need for it anymore. The tv also works fine with the drives full of ripped tv shows and movies that I used to have to play through the WD box. If you have mp3's in a folder, it has a fairly nice interface for playing them in order, and does very well. I have the tv hooked up to my Vizio VSB200 soundbar, and the music sounds GREAT!

I am so happy I decided to replace my old tv. This tv in my opinion, is a hands-down BEST BUY tv set for the price.
post #107 of 707 Old 05-03-2013, 07:24 AM

Just picked up 60LA6205, from the Brick - CAD $2148
$479 for their 4 year at home service no BS warranty, that they tell me refund to me if we don't use it.

The magic remote is included and I can confirm that is the only difference from the 60LA6200

No issues with image quality however Audio Optical Out on the TV seems to be limited to 2 channel (no 5.1)
passthrough or direct from SMART TV premium applications. I believe this is common on many LG models and I've read threads on here discussing using service menu to enable 5.1. LG have not been very helpful on this issue, however it is time I replace my receiver so won't be a problem for much longer

Canadian LG website has no information on this model at all, only available from the us website.

Overall i'm very impressed with the unit but its early days. its my first 3D model,
post #108 of 707 Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehstern View Post

Can anyone tell me how the 42LA6200 differs from the 42LM6200, if at all? Would it be worth the hassle to return a recently purchased LM6200 for the LA6200? I'm especially curious because, on LG's website, the LM is still a couple hundred more expensive, despite being older.

Other than the LED lighting, the smart features are also quite different. LG dropped the Plex/MediaLink functionality on the 2013 models (LA). I believe only SmartShare (DLNA) is available now. That was a bummer for me, as I have a 2011 model and really enjoy Plex on my TV without the need for a streaming box.

Also, they JUST released the Amazon app for the 2012 models last month with firmware 5.0. May be another year before you get it on the 2013 models. They also ponied up for DTS streaming on the 2012 model, something that was absent from their 2011 models. Don't know if DTS is available on their new lineup or not.

So the 42LM6200 will include MediaLink (Plex), AmazonPrime, and DTS streaming. All features I don't believe the 42LA6200 have. (Could be wrong on the DTS)

As such, I actually scoured the internet to try and still find a couple of 2012 models before they were all gone. Picked up a 42LM6200 to replace a broken Samsung plasma, as well as a 60LS5700 from Dell for the new living room to be built.
post #109 of 707 Old 05-03-2013, 08:57 AM

Can someone with the TV please let me know if the SmartTV DLNA functionality supports DTS pass-through. Also, please post your firmware version.
post #110 of 707 Old 05-03-2013, 11:16 AM

Just got my 60LA6200 delivered today from Amazon. So far I've been playing with the settings trying to figure things out, but with the little playing I've done I really like the TV so far.

I've streamed video (and side by side) to the TV with DLNA and my plex server on my PC. It works great.

It came with firmware 3.07.24 and says there is an update if I check. Can anyone tell me what this update does before I go ahead with it?

Thanks

:)
post #111 of 707 Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmes2020 View Post

Just thought I'd share some of the settings on mine since I can't find any calibration settings anywhere online. I used the AVS HD 709 calibration disk and with the ISF 1 mode it all looked pretty close to spot on. The picture is GORGEOUS. I've watched the Avengers about two dozen times since smile.gif

ISF 1
Backlight 50
Contrast 99
Brightness 52
H Sharpness 10
V Sharpness 10
Warm 2 setting
Tru motion off
Real cinema on
Color Bt709
Gamma 2.2
Black level low
All other "enhancements off"
Enjoy smile.gif

All of that is basically selected with ISF 1 anyway. Just change the brightness and contrast. Turn off try motion and turn on Real Cinema and turn off edge enhancement. Everything should be spot on. Compared with my last LG I was actually shocked how accurate the color values and grey scale were just with that tiny bit of callibrating. Try the calibration disk and see for yourself
do you have for settings for game mode and 3D?
post #112 of 707 Old 05-04-2013, 11:48 AM

Where did you see the warm setting?
post #113 of 707 Old 05-06-2013, 08:26 AM

So, I purchased the 55LA6205UA this weekend and so far I am extremely impressed with the set. The black levels are head and shoulders above the 55W5600 that I replaced, both in terms of depth and evenness. The unit is direct-lit (as opposed to edge lit), and I although it appears a bit brighter on the right side than the left, it's still miles better than the W5600 with local dimming.

Other nice things:
- DTS pass-through is finally supported;
- speed of the SmartTV interface, including Netflix, has greatly improved, as did the layout of the SmartShare (DLNA) interface;
- the picture quality is pretty amazing, again compared to 55W5600, not exactly sure how, but it seems a lot more crisp for the same resolution;
- the MagicWand remote that came with it (AR400) is much better than the older one with the W5600, easier to hold in your hand, has more buttons, and can control other devices (mine is set to control the volume on the receiver rather than the TV)

Minor complaints:
- lack of VGA/DVI inputs;
- with the remote configured to control the receiver and the TV together, I can't seem to bring up the Audio/Video settings menu when in HDMI mode;
- the cursor goes to sleep too fast and is sometimes difficult to bring back up;
- the media player still does NOT support multiple audio tracks.
post #114 of 707 Old 05-06-2013, 08:28 AM

also, does anyone know how to get into the Service Menu on this TV?
post #115 of 707 Old 05-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Just ordered the 60LA6200 from Amazon. It will be here on Friday.

I am crossing my fingers for a good panel and I hope this is the end of my year-long TV "quest".

So, those of you who have ordered from Amazon: What did you do for an extended warranty, if anything?
post #116 of 707 Old 05-06-2013, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordAlfred View Post

Just ordered the 60LA6200 from Amazon. It will be here on Friday.

I am crossing my fingers for a good panel and I hope this is the end of my year-long TV "quest".

So, those of you who have ordered from Amazon: What did you do for an extended warranty, if anything?

Once you get it, register it on LG's website. They will offer you an extended warranty for a price. It was $47.48/two years for my 42la6200... Much cheaper than Amazon's. Your tv cost over twice mine, so your warranty will cost more.
post #117 of 707 Old 05-07-2013, 03:21 PM

New firmware just downloaded to my tv.

Ver 03.20.32

I don't know what changes it made. Does anybody know if there are posted Changelog's for LG firmware?
post #118 of 707 Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 PM

Liked: 12
Finally got my 42la6205 last Friday.

The picture quality is awesome... and i still looking for a correct calibration settings, if someone have one please share it biggrin.gif

Pretty good with my xbox 360, in PC game mode it has a great 30ms of input lag, perfect for online game.

plus, no clouding or light bleed, everything fine.

biggrin.gif
post #119 of 707 Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've been eyeballing this set a bit recently. I'm coming from a fully back lit local dimming vizio xvt553sv and hate it. The clouding and haloing are just terrible. I was looking at the lm7600 but then saw this and noticed it was direct lit led without dimming. I know if I turn off the dimming mode on my vizio blacks turn gray. How does this perform in black areas? Are there any options for the strength of the backlight or is it just like a ccfl LCD but with LEDs? Honestly, I think I'd forgo a bit of black level to avoid clouding/haloing on full dimming and the bleeding/flash lighting of edge lit.
post #120 of 707 Old 05-07-2013, 09:00 PM

Guys can we have pictures of this tv in action?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 55 Inch Class Cinema 3d Smart Led Tv Smartv 55lm6400 , Lg Electronics 55ln5400 55 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Share , Lg Electronics 39ln5700 39 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv , Panasonic Tc P50st60 50 Inch 3d Smart Plasma Hdtv , Lg Electronics 47la6200 47 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page