Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 296 Old 09-11-2013, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by loucaruso View Post

I just realized that this black clamping issue- where the tv adjusts darker in dark scenes- seems to happen on my VOD- like amc, etc- could it be the compression?? any ideas on how to get around that- any adjustments???

That is the Dynamic Contrast going to work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 296 Old 09-12-2013, 01:08 AM

Liked: 12
Akula-ok, so is that why everyone says to leave it off?? (even though my tv looks better on high) and WHY would it work this way?- that in a dark scene it would adjust even darker going all black momentarily?? and why does it seemed to only happen on video on demand channels??
post #93 of 296 Old 09-20-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aktv27 View Post

I just bought the F7100 60 inch and have it hooked up to internet (wireless) and charter cable. Its happened a couple of times now when the picture goes from bright to very very dim. One time it almost went black. This seems to be happening randomly so far. A couple of times we restarted the tv and that solved the issue, and once it became normal on its own. Not sure what is going on here. Anyone experience this issue or know how to solve it?
I recently purchased the F7100 and it has done the same thing where the picture goes "dark" upon turning the TV on. By turning it on and off it fixes itself. Seems to be a common problem with these TVs.
post #94 of 296 Old 09-20-2013, 10:15 PM

Liked: 11
Has anyone had any issues with the TV randomly restarting if you switch devices? or any other time?
post #95 of 296 Old 09-22-2013, 05:36 AM

If anyone else has ever experienced this, please give me a "me too" feel good message!

Suddenly my TV has been randomly dimming to a very low light level and flickering the brightness. It happens infrequently, never while watching something, and mostly when going from 1 screen to another (e.g. From live directv to the now playing list, or from apple tv menu to netflix, or even from in netflix to a show selection). It has also happened switching to another device. If I do anything to the samsung TV itself like bring up the menu or turn the tv on/off will fix the issue.

Given I can correct the issue by simply pulling up the menu, it seems like a bug to me - as if the samsung is getting confused on the signal it gets. I will admit my hdmi cable to the tv is pretty shady (old as dirt and stretched to the max) but as I mention, this is an infrequent occurrence.

Thank you!
post #96 of 296 Old 09-22-2013, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung117 View Post

Has anyone had any issues with the TV randomly restarting if you switch devices? or any other time?

I just read your issue as soon as I finished posting my issue. While I have not had your issue, it's "possible" there's a fine line between my issue and yours (shoud be previous post). Albeit a very remote fine-line, but there may be thread of commonality in there somewhere.

Sorry I couldn't help though
post #97 of 296 Old 09-28-2013, 12:20 PM

Ok, have my first problem...my 60" F7100 is not displaying video, just the Samsung logo. But the real problem is that it's not responding to the remote - I can't turn it off, can't get to any function at all. Unfortunately all my wiring is behind my tv in the wall, and I'm not sure which breaker it's on, so unplugging or disconnecting and reconnecting the power is not a trivial exercise, so I'm hoping someone else has experienced this and has a solution ready.
post #98 of 296 Old 09-28-2013, 12:46 PM

Ok, I managed to program my cable remote to switch off the Samsung. When I powered back on, the tv seems to be working fine. However, the Smart remote (not the keyboard (I don't have the qwerty remote), I'm talking about the basic remote that comes with the tv) still does not work at all. The TV does not respond to any keys whatsoever. Any ideas?
post #99 of 296 Old 09-28-2013, 03:21 PM

Liked: 14
Is there a button in the battery compartment that syncs the remote to the tv

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2
post #100 of 296 Old 09-28-2013, 04:28 PM

Thanks - that wasn't it but your suggestion inspired me to figure out how to take off the remote cover and look for the sync button (which is indeed inside the battery compartment. But when I took out the batteries, I noticed that the spring for the negative terminal for one of the batteries was not released - it was pressed shut. I took a pen and let out the spring, and now it's working. How stupid is that? Anyway, all's good, thanks.
post #101 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 06:12 AM

Has anyone had an issue where when they use their Blu-Ray player, there are tiny blinking lights all over the screen. Hard to describe. They are almost like fuzzy blinking/flashing lights in the background, similar to what you would get if you go to a channel on basic cable that you don't get. It is more subtle during bright scenes, but I know that it is there and it bothers me and is definitely noticeable during darker scenes. I was wondering if it was a simple setting change? I am using an HDMI cable for the Blu-Ray player and it is all set up correctly so nothing like that is an issue. 

Also, has anyone found the best link to calibration and picture settings?

post #102 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Hey Folks!  I am new to AVS and just bought the UN55F7100.  Love it!  Great TV.  Here's my question.  I have a TiVo Premier and I have the samsung touch remote setup to control it.  I just accidentally figured out how to Fast Forward and Rewind by swiping the top of the Touchpad.  Now here's my question, how do I Pause/Play using gestures?  I know I can do it using the On Screen Remote, but there has to be a touch gesture for it...any body out there know?

Thanks!

post #103 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 01:38 PM

already answered...
post #104 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno_Sardine View Post

If anyone else has ever experienced this, please give me a "me too" feel good message!

Suddenly my TV has been randomly dimming to a very low light level and flickering the brightness. It happens infrequently, never while watching something, and mostly when going from 1 screen to another (e.g. From live directv to the now playing list, or from apple tv menu to netflix, or even from in netflix to a show selection). It has also happened switching to another device. If I do anything to the samsung TV itself like bring up the menu or turn the tv on/off will fix the issue.

Given I can correct the issue by simply pulling up the menu, it seems like a bug to me - as if the samsung is getting confused on the signal it gets. I will admit my hdmi cable to the tv is pretty shady (old as dirt and stretched to the max) but as I mention, this is an infrequent occurrence.

Thank you!

I had this issue too...but the TV recently updated and I haven't noticed it...

post #105 of 296 Old 10-10-2013, 04:27 PM

I have had my F7100 46" for about two weeks and noticed something that I never saw with my Panasonic Plasma. Not sure I can describe it well but here it goes ...

When watching some tv shows or movies it seems that there is a delay or stop motion kind of effect when there is fast movement or panning in/out of a scene.

It does not happen with sports which some reviews suggested would be an issue. It is simply that some show there is a stuttering effect. Anyone else see this? Is there a setting to change that will eliminate it?

Any help is appreciated.
post #106 of 296 Old 10-11-2013, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongmw View Post

I have had my F7100 46" for about two weeks and noticed something that I never saw with my Panasonic Plasma. Not sure I can describe it well but here it goes ...

When watching some tv shows or movies it seems that there is a delay or stop motion kind of effect when there is fast movement or panning in/out of a scene.

It does not happen with sports which some reviews suggested would be an issue. It is simply that some show there is a stuttering effect. Anyone else see this? Is there a setting to change that will eliminate it?

Any help is appreciated.

Yeah I thought I noticed this a few times when watching a movie the other night. I put it down to my HTPC (XBMC on Openelec) stuttering a bit.
If it was anything to do with the TV it could only be related to the Auto Motion settings so perhaps try turn them off and look again.
post #107 of 296 Old 10-11-2013, 02:23 PM

I had auto motion plus on custom with 0 for judder and 10 for blur.

I changed it last night to "off" for auto motion plus .... we shall see if it helps
post #108 of 296 Old 10-14-2013, 06:11 AM

Does anyone know how to turn off the volume beep when adjusting the volume up or down? What I am talking about is the beep the tv makes when I hit volume up or volume down. This is driving me crazy and I cannot find the setting.
post #109 of 296 Old 10-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Hey all, I just brought the F7100 Model yesterday from Best Buy. This TV is beautiful but right now I'm having issues with my Smart Remote to control my Motorola set up box (FIOS). The Smart remote can turn off the box and it does show the channel guide on the TV but refuse to change channels. Only way I can change the channel is through the FIOS provided remote. Any known fixes for that? Also Netflix won't connect even with my account information is correct.

Also any tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.
post #110 of 296 Old 10-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Does anyone know how to turn off the volume beep when adjusting the volume up or down? What I am talking about is the beep the tv makes when I hit volume up or volume down. This is driving me crazy and I cannot find the setting

Yep, go to menu, then system, then general, then sound feedback. Hope this helps:)
post #111 of 296 Old 10-17-2013, 06:56 PM

Hi,

I just bought the F7100 60" model.  I have a few comments and questions.  

First,  I really dithered about 55" or 60".  I got the 60 but of course my first sensation after installing it in my living room was 'Oh man, it's way too big, I should have got the 55"'

Now,  I sit about 12' away and I'm upgrading from an old bravia that was a 42".  But I basically polling for comments one way or the other.  I liked the very narrow bezel on the 55 and I think in my mind that any content quality issues would be less noticeable on the 55, but I eagerly await comments either way.  I have plenty of time (30 days) with which to change my mind.

BIG ISSUE for me was bluray playback.  I do not watch sports but like watching movies.  I have a PS3 so the first thing I did was throw in a bluray of LOTR extended edition.  We sat here actually laughing at how bad it was (secretly felt a little sick too).  The actors in the foreground looked like they are cut out of a glossy magazine and are glued onto flat 2d background scenery.  Totally bizarre looking.  It was absolutely unwatchable.  I was instantly planning on returning the tv and forgetting the whole thing.  

I logged on, found some settings guides including turning off automotion but no help.  Finally,  on the PS3 I found a video output setting related to upscaling freq. of 24hz content.  default is auto so I set to off.  Now, when I play the bluray, the samsung reports the input as 1920x1080x24p and the movie looks 'normal' to me.  Problem solved. 

So - question, is the ps3 a bad bluray player?  Would I benefit from something newer?   

Are there better setting's guides around?

Also,  netflix does not look good on this tv, what's the deal?  It's blurry and muddy looking, like old vhs.

Lastly, what about the size?  60 or 55  ! :)

post #112 of 296 Old 10-18-2013, 07:59 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkandor View Post

Hi,

I just bought the F7100 60" model.  I have a few comments and questions.  

First,  I really dithered about 55" or 60".  I got the 60 but of course my first sensation after installing it in my living room was 'Oh man, it's way too big, I should have got the 55"'

Now,  I sit about 12' away and I'm upgrading from an old bravia that was a 42".  But I basically polling for comments one way or the other.  I liked the very narrow bezel on the 55 and I think in my mind that any content quality issues would be less noticeable on the 55, but I eagerly await comments either way.  I have plenty of time (30 days) with which to change my mind.

BIG ISSUE for me was bluray playback.  I do not watch sports but like watching movies.  I have a PS3 so the first thing I did was throw in a bluray of LOTR extended edition.  We sat here actually laughing at how bad it was (secretly felt a little sick too).  The actors in the foreground looked like they are cut out of a glossy magazine and are glued onto flat 2d background scenery.  Totally bizarre looking.  It was absolutely unwatchable.  I was instantly planning on returning the tv and forgetting the whole thing.  

I logged on, found some settings guides including turning off automotion but no help.  Finally,  on the PS3 I found a video output setting related to upscaling freq. of 24hz content.  default is auto so I set to off.  Now, when I play the bluray, the samsung reports the input as 1920x1080x24p and the movie looks 'normal' to me.  Problem solved. 

So - question, is the ps3 a bad bluray player?  Would I benefit from something newer?   

Are there better setting's guides around?

Also,  netflix does not look good on this tv, what's the deal?  It's blurry and muddy looking, like old vhs.

Lastly, what about the size?  60 or 55  ! smile.gif

I just got a 60 F7100 on Monday. I bought the floor model and got a pretty good deal.

However, I too notice that the PQ is not as good as on my old 46C6400, however that could be a product of just being a larger TV. Larger TVs have larger and farther spaced pixels - the same amount if picture information is being displayed, just across a larger area. We used to sit about 10 feet away from the 46, which was probably on the far end of the "recommended range" but your eyes become accustomed to it. Now we sit about 14' away from the 60 inch. 60 inches is 72% more screen area than a 46, so that may account for some of the PQ differences.

I also haven't really dialed in any settings I like. I tend to like the brighter pictures and when I first change the picture mode to "Standard" it looks good, but once the OPC starts changing the brightness / backlighting for the room the picture becomes much darker and I'm not that big of a fan of it. I am taking advantage of the free calibration by Best Buy for being a Reward Zone Silver / Elite Plus member. They don't advertise this, but it's still available if you call.

The 60 also has a Sharp panel vs. the Samsung panel found in most of the other sizes. This may account for some of the differences between the 60 and the other sizes in this model range that people rag on, including the bezel size and some PQ issues, however it may also be mental - once people find out the most expensive (and among the most important) part of the TV isn't made by Samsung, they start getting their shorts all in an uproar and telling themselves that "Oh, it CAN'T be as good as a Samsung panel!"

As for the PS3 being a bad blu-ray player, I don't think so - I personally think it's one of the best and most feature rich players there is, and this has held true since it was introduced. It's constantly getting updates and I've never had an issue playing any disc in it. The PQ is always stunning, and it plays Skyrim and GTA IV and V to boot!

As for Netflix, what are you using to play Netflix content? I use my PS3 as I know that will output Dolby Digital 5.1 sound to my receiver. Playing via my TivoHD does not, and the TivoHD Netflix interface sucks anyways, but it does work when I'm playing netflix to the TV that is linked to it in the kitchen. I was watching some Breaking Bad this week and I did notice the images looked a little soft, however this is probably the source material, the codec being used to compress the data across the Internet, and the larger screen size coming into play. I generally don't watch streaming movies for PQ - it's just not there (I have a 25Mb Comcast conenction and a pretty robust Wi-Fi network, so bandwidth isn't really the limiting factor here.)

At the end of the day, once I get the TV dialed in and after the newness factor has worn off, I generally rarely play with the settings. It becomes part of my family room and it's one of those things that I come home to enjoy after work or to watch some football on Sunday, it should not be a source of endless frustration and disappointment for nit picks. I know this forum is full of nit-pickers and that's fine if that's your thing - there's nothing wrong with that and this is the forum where all these people can congregate. However, I know out of the box the PQ is generally better than most 60" TVs that most of our friends and neighbors are going to buy for $849 and rave over, and with a little fiddling this TV will look great. Unless there's something egregiously out of line, I'm not going to fret and enjoy my TV. Life is too damned short for that!
post #113 of 296 Old 10-20-2013, 11:53 AM
Advanced Member

Love this thread. Gave me a lot of information on the UN65F7100AFXZA, which I am looking at buying.

I still have a question. I use a universal remote control and may want to continue to use it rather than the smart remote (we will see after I use it). My universal is a learning remote. Can I program things from the touchpad (like move left, etc) to a universal remote?

Thanks for any answers.
post #114 of 296 Old 10-20-2013, 01:55 PM

Liked: 13
I think if I didn't have a Harmony, I'd really take a look at using the Samsung SmartHub interface.

I would imagine that most, if not all, learning remotes could learn the commands from the Samsung remote, however the remotes from my 2010 model Samsungs still work just fine with this TV so if your remote can perform any of the left/right functions on an older Samsung, it should work just fine with this TV. However, I really don't use the TV remote all that much after I get the TV settings dialed in. Now that the TV is a new toy, I'm fidgeting with settings all the time. With my last Samsung, once I got the settings dialed in I really didn't touch the Samsung remote for a couple of years.
post #115 of 296 Old 10-20-2013, 02:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnieZ View Post

I think if I didn't have a Harmony, I'd really take a look at using the Samsung SmartHub interface.

I would imagine that most, if not all, learning remotes could learn the commands from the Samsung remote, however the remotes from my 2010 model Samsungs still work just fine with this TV so if your remote can perform any of the left/right functions on an older Samsung, it should work just fine with this TV. However, I really don't use the TV remote all that much after I get the TV settings dialed in. Now that the TV is a new toy, I'm fidgeting with settings all the time. With my last Samsung, once I got the settings dialed in I really didn't touch the Samsung remote for a couple of years.

That does help. I will want to do things like PIP and even control the smart hub but without the touchpad remote. The idea of punching in numbers by drawing them is horrible to me. I may wind up using the universal to just turn the set on and off and maybe pip but have the other available to me for apps and such.
post #116 of 296 Old 10-20-2013, 07:14 PM

Anyone know why the remote won't program to the Motorola box (FIOS) I'm still trying to figure it out unless there is a better solution.
post #117 of 296 Old 10-24-2013, 10:38 AM

I have a friend who recently purchased this TV from Best Buy. Last night it started randomly turning itself off and then back on again. Completely random intervals so it doesn't appear to be a setting issue. Has anyone else has this problem with this TV? Should he just exchange it for another one? Any insight would be appreciated.
post #118 of 296 Old 10-31-2013, 12:24 PM

Hi All,

New to AVS forum and first time post. I recently purchased a Samsung UN65F7100 from Amazon and the picture looks outstanding. Only complaint would be the clouding / flashlighting I'm noticing in dark scenes. I've tried multiple inputs, lowering the backlight and contrast and still seems to have the issue. I know edge lit TVs are notorious for this issue, but wondering if my case is worse then normal?

I've attached a couple of pics. This is in movie mode with backlight set to 10 -

Not sure if I should exchange it for another set or if my chances of getting anything better are slim.
post #119 of 296 Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sark78 View Post

Hi All,

New to AVS forum and first time post. I recently purchased a Samsung UN65F7100 from Amazon and the picture looks outstanding. Only complaint would be the clouding / flashlighting I'm noticing in dark scenes. I've tried multiple inputs, lowering the backlight and contrast and still seems to have the issue. I know edge lit TVs are notorious for this issue, but wondering if my case is worse then normal?

I've attached a couple of pics. This is in movie mode with backlight set to 10 -

Not sure if I should exchange it for another set or if my chances of getting anything better are slim.

Most will see clouding at backlights above 10 in a dark room. I have mine set to 6 at night and 14 during the day (use EcoSensor). It looks a little worse than most so you will probably do better with a replacement but it's obviously a hassle to replace to weigh up whether it's worth it to you.
post #120 of 296 Old 11-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Take a wet cloth and wipe the screen down horizontally starting from the top and see if that helps.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46f7100 46 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung Un46es7100 Led Hdtv , Panasonic Viera Tc P65vt30 65 Inch 3d Plasma Hdtv , Lg 55la7400 55 Inch Cinema 3d Led Smarttv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page