Old 01-06-2014, 02:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garuda613 View Post

Just setup my un75f6300 today. I have all windows along two walls.. All I see is the reflection of those windows. My sharp Lc-60le832u was perfect with no glare or reflections. I can barely watch TV.

Anything I can do, or do I have to sell it.

Uh02 panel, bought in US and drove it to Canada. Would have to sell locally.

If you search the forum you will find that you are not alone in your dislike for glossy screens. Here's another thread about it. Some of the threads mention films made to apply to the TV screen to reduce glare or reflections but so far I have not read that anyone on the forum has tried it.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472546/matte-screen-or-really-non-reflective-led-or-plasma-tvs-55-65-inch

It is a problem for many people. Problem is all TVs that I've looked it over the last few years are glossy to some degree. Some may be slightly less glossy, but not enough to make any real world difference. Some of the Sharps looked a bit more matte & I tried one but it was still way to glossy. My old Sony was nice & matte but I cannot find anything like it. I have to turn off most of the lights & sometimes cover my refrigerator that is 30' away in the next room because it reflects in the screen. Sometimes I turn off all the lights & use a bias light that is placed behind the TV. Do a search for bias lighting if you are interested.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 05:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike99 View Post

If you search the forum you will find that you are not alone in your dislike for glossy screens. Here's another thread about it. Some of the threads mention films made to apply to the TV screen to reduce glare or reflections but so far I have not read that anyone on the forum has tried it.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1472546/matte-screen-or-really-non-reflective-led-or-plasma-tvs-55-65-inch

It is a problem for many people. Problem is all TVs that I've looked it over the last few years are glossy to some degree. Some may be slightly less glossy, but not enough to make any real world difference. Some of the Sharps looked a bit more matte & I tried one but it was still way to glossy. My old Sony was nice & matte but I cannot find anything like it. I have to turn off most of the lights & sometimes cover my refrigerator that is 30' away in the next room because it reflects in the screen. Sometimes I turn off all the lights & use a bias light that is placed behind the TV. Do a search for bias lighting if you are interested.
Most TV's today have glossy screens because they help improve the overall pq, black levels, colors, etc. Of course if you can't see the screen then better pq doesn't really matter. lol

I know a lot of people think that LEDs are the way to go in well lit rooms but I will say the better plasma's, while they also have glossy screens and are dimmer then LED's usually have really good anti-reflective filters on them. They have the ability to soak in reflections and make the picture feel like it is in front where the LEDs I have tried always felt like the reflections to center stage over the picture.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:33 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have the UN55F6350, and would like to know if anyone noticed the motion seems way more choppy after the update to 1118? I was running 1117.4 before the update I was able to run the TV with AMP set to off and have relatively smooth motion now I have to have it set to clear to be able to even stand to watch it. Just curious if anyone else has noticed it.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:08 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan02gt View Post

I have the UN55F6350, and would like to know if anyone noticed the motion seems way more choppy after the update to 1118? I was running 1117.4 before the update I was able to run the TV with AMP set to off and have relatively smooth motion now I have to have it set to clear to be able to even stand to watch it. Just curious if anyone else has noticed it.

I didn't notice any differences in motion after the update, I'm running a 55,46 and a 40 inch.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:14 AM

I just got the UN55F6400 ...is this basically the same as the F6300?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot View Post

If you can't control the lighting from those windows, then I think the only thing you can do is exchange it for another set with a more "matte" screen to eliminate those reflections. I have one and also have lots of windows to one side, but they're covered and don''t bother me since I watch mostly at night anyway.
However during the day, it's really not an issue as well.

Not sure if stepping up to the 6400 would help in your case, I have a 46" version of that and it's definitely not as glossy but still see some reflections, again not a big deal.

Have you found any Samsungs with a proper matte screen?  Their site doesn't list the screen characteristics, and I'm wondering if a TH01 panel would be different than a UH02?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:

Stuck it up on the wall last night via a Sanus wall mount.  I will play with the tilt a bit tonight, but I'm not happy at all.  At night, the light over my dining room table is visible quite clearly, and I found the windows still quite apparent.  The Sharp I have was disconnected but still on the waterfall stand, side by side, the Samsung screen is like mirrored glass, whereas the sharp is like a dull hazy matte.  

We have to turn off every light in the area last night to watch tv.. it's like our old Sony rear projection days.. I don't know what options we have in a 75-80inch screen in matte.  I spent ~3k on this, but there are few if any relative options in Matte at this price point.  So will look into a film, and window coverings. 

I was so pissed off last night it wasn't funny, seems they're manufacturing for folks in deep dark basements or nuke shelters.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The smooth motion settings result in choppy video for me. I haven't used 1117 because I got the TV around the time 1118 was released.

It is not a consistent occurrence but it is there. It seems to be more frequent on some content than others.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
AVS Special Member

As mentioned above by eric the glossy screens are supposed to improve PQ but if you can't see the picture it doesn't really matter.

A lot of manufacturers call their screen semi-matte, but to me it's semi-glossy, and a lot more on the glossy side. I guess they figure people do live in caves or have no windows. Everything I've read says not to watch TV in a totally dark environment because it causes eye strain. Apparently the manufacturers have never got that message.

The bias light I use illuminates the wall behind the TV quite a bit & therefore provides some ambient light to the room. For dark movies such as those with a lot of night scenes I have to turn off every light in the house except the bias light in order to watch TV. I have basically an open architecture floor plan so I can't just shut the door on the TV room. And I know I'm not the only person with an open floor plan. Maybe the manufacturers want you to watch TV in the basement. But not everyone has a basement.

Temporarily try placing a few different types of lights behind the TV & see if that helps. I realize with a wall mount that may be difficult. But I have seen bias lights made for wall mounted TVs, usually they are LEDs.

There is no easy answer. If you do try a film please let us know how it works out.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy View Post

I didn't notice any differences in motion after the update, I'm running a 55,46 and a 40 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaganoush View Post

The smooth motion settings result in choppy video for me. I haven't used 1117 because I got the TV around the time 1118 was released.

It is not a consistent occurrence but it is there. It seems to be more frequent on some content than others.

Maybe that it's worse is all in my head, but like bubbaganoush said some content is way worse than others. Gold Rush and Moonshiners were so bad this past week I almost went up into my bonus room to watch them on my Panasonic Plasma.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavenger View Post

I just got the UN55F6400 ...is this basically the same as the F6300?

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

I think the panel might be different but yours has Bluetooth the 63xx doesn't and I think yours has 3d also which the 63xx doesn't.

Samsung UN60H7150AF/Xbox One
Samsung UN55F6300AF/Xbox 360
Old 01-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:

My old Sony was nice & matte but I cannot find anything like it.

Ditto. Our current many-years-old Sony has a terrific matte screen. The colors and PQ don't pop like glossy-screened TVs, but we're more than happy to take the tradeoff for zero reflections. If we could find a 50" with a similarly matte screen, we'd buy it in an instant.

Looking at the sets at Costco, and reading reviews, my sense is that the Vizio E series is less glossy than the Samsung F6300 series, and the F series is less glossy than the Vizio M series. The LG LN5750 seems to be even less glossy than the Vizio E, and has a matte bezel as well.

Old 01-06-2014, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I have a 55 mounted on the brick wall in my loft. The ceilings are 25 ft and the wall to the right is all windows to the ceiling. I have no issues at all with ambient light or glare, unless viewing from the very far left.
Old 01-06-2014, 03:05 PM

Mine also leans forward just enough to where its noticeable and its driving me crazy. I have level hardwood floors. Its probably the cheap spider leg stand which is very flimsy. I may try to hang on the wall. Its really annoying!!!!!!!!!

Pioneer, Rotel, Samsung, Dual, and all things Klipsch
Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Would a few of you who have UN55F6300 or UN55F6350, care to please share their set's panel version, it's qualities or faults and weather they are happy with it? I hope to pick up a set soon. Even after reading this entire thread twice it's been difficult really finding this info.
Many thanks and stay warm.
Old 01-06-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

If you haven't done one already you could try doing a reset. I like to do that on mine after every software update.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am trying the settings posted by FriscoDTM on my 55" TH01.

It looks like the numbers heavily favor bumping the green color settings. Especially on the blue and magenta colorspace settings. It is just a bit surprising to me since I haven't seen any settings which stand out to favor a certain color like that.

I don't have any calibration equipment so all I can do is judge relative differences. It seems like these settings make certain blues seem a lot more blue green. There was one Jeopardy contestant tonight whose shirt looks blue on the standard settings but look noticeably more blue green with these settings. I don't know how correct this is on my set.
Old 01-06-2014, 07:27 PM

So I got the 6350 and it looked amazing for the first few days. Recently though, I've been noticing noise effect whilst watching Netflix. I've only used the TV to watch Netflix and I don't think it was there previously or at least I didn't notice. Is my TV defective or am I imagining things?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:51 PM
hma

Thanks. Is there any way to set the backlight without a light meter? It seems that I should pick the proper backlight setting before trying to calibrate the other settings. Also, do you have any idea of what color temperatures "standard" and "warm1" and "warm2" are set at? I put mine on warm1 since warm2 looked a little too warm, but I would prefer to set it to 6500K if one of the settings corresponds to that.

-HMA
Old 01-06-2014, 08:53 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaganoush View Post

I am trying the settings posted by FriscoDTM on my 55" TH01.

It looks like the numbers heavily favor bumping the green color settings. Especially on the blue and magenta colorspace settings. It is just a bit surprising to me since I haven't seen any settings which stand out to favor a certain color like that.

I don't have any calibration equipment so all I can do is judge relative differences. It seems like these settings make certain blues seem a lot more blue green. There was one Jeopardy contestant tonight whose shirt looks blue on the standard settings but look noticeably more blue green with these settings. I don't know how correct this is on my set.

I don't see any major color bias but would be surprised if any calibration is universally transferrable. I'm also not in the business of calibration. Here are the measurements of the default settings on my tv and the current settings for comparison. I will continue to measure periodically as the set ages to see if/how things change. http://imgur.com/a/r36FD

TV 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300
AVR 2013 Denon X2000 w/ Audyssey XT
7.2 3 DIY 1099s (LCR), 4 Yamaha NS-IC600WH + 4 Dayton ME820C (SL, SR), 2 DIY OS-MTM (BL, BR)
Subs Two 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + iNuke6000DSP
Calibration CALMAN5, REW, UMIK-1
Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hma View Post

Thanks. Is there any way to set the backlight without a light meter? It seems that I should pick the proper backlight setting before trying to calibrate the other settings. Also, do you have any idea of what color temperatures "standard" and "warm1" and "warm2" are set at? I put mine on warm1 since warm2 looked a little too warm, but I would prefer to set it to 6500K if one of the settings corresponds to that.

-HMA

warm2 in movie mode got me the closest to 6500K, but I don't recall the numbers for the other settings.

TV 2013 Samsung 75" UN75F6300
AVR 2013 Denon X2000 w/ Audyssey XT
7.2 3 DIY 1099s (LCR), 4 Yamaha NS-IC600WH + 4 Dayton ME820C (SL, SR), 2 DIY OS-MTM (BL, BR)
Subs Two 19Hz DIY Ported UXL-18s + iNuke6000DSP
Calibration CALMAN5, REW, UMIK-1
Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 PM

Think the Netflix app on these TVs will ever get SuperHD? I still use my PlayStation to stream Netflix because my TV never gets SuperHD. 

Old 01-06-2014, 09:55 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

Maybe that it's worse is all in my head, but like bubbaganoush said some content is way worse than others. Gold Rush and Moonshiners were so bad this past week I almost went up into my bonus room to watch them on my Panasonic Plasma.

What "Film Mode" setting do you have configured in your Picture options? I'm not on 1118, but have noticed recently that I need to use "Auto 2" otherwise some content seems to stutter on certain channels and scenes.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:17 AM

A few questions:

Does anyone have any details about the UU04 panels? I haven't been able to find anything through searches (I found one mention of UU03 but that person was as surprised as I was with this one).

Also would it be possible for someone with an unedited UN40F6300 EDID (ie someone who uses their un40f6300 as a computer monitor and can run Monitor Asset Manager) to upload it/send it to me? I jumped into the EDID override game a bit too swiftly attempting to force a 120hz signal from my pc onto my F6300 for gaming purposes but now my AMD driver is stuck seeing it as an ASUS monitor even after rolling back to generic pnp. The problem is that after changing to the EDID override, not only was I unable to force a 120hz signal from my gpu, but my options to change the pixel format disappeared. At this point I don't care about the 120hz signal anymore and just want to properly calibrate my graphics card color settings for optimal HTPC performance (especially since renaming the input to PC diminishes the adjustments you can make to the picture settings on that input). 

Alternately does anyone know how to dump EDID from the TV chip to usb or through the HDMI? I see the EDID section in the service menu but I'm too afraid to mess with anything in there and the info I found on samygo didn't really give me any concrete answers.

Old 01-07-2014, 02:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPatriot View Post

Mine also leans forward just enough to where its noticeable and its driving me crazy. I have level hardwood floors. Its probably the cheap spider leg stand which is very flimsy. I may try to hang on the wall. Its really annoying!!!!!!!!!

My 6150 series with spider legs leaned backward a bit. I took off the base & separated the 2 pieces. I put a small piece of plastic on each of the 2 surfaces where the rear 2 screws go through that attach the 2 halves. IOW I shimmed it to tilt forward a bit to compensate for the backward lean. Obviously you would have to shim yours the opposite direction. I cut a couple small squares of plastic from a flat section of that clamshell packaging used to enclose small items. Maybe 1/2" square. Also had to trim off a corner so it would fit on the pad or metal surface where the 2 halves meet. Then carefully punched a hole for the screw. It took a bit of care in order to put the 2 halves together without the plastic slipping out of position. I slipped a piece of wire through the halves & the hole in the plastic shim to make sure the shim did not fall out place until the halves were pressed together. Depending on bad your tilt is you may need to use a couple shims. Not difficult to do but took more time than I planned. But it was worth it because my TV is now straight.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:08 AM

So I got the 6350 and it looked amazing for the first few days. Recently though, I've been noticing noise effect whilst watching Netflix. I've only used the TV to watch Netflix and I don't think it was there previously or at least I didn't notice. Is my TV defective or am I imagining things?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:36 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi all. I bought this TV several months ago and have been very happy with the picture quality so far. However, over the past month or so, I have experienced audio problems periodically with low bass levels. I know the built-in speakers are not supposed to be very good to begin with, but when low bass levels play, I sometimes get a low vibration sound (not sure exactly how to describe it). I'm wondering if one of the speakers is dying or something? I never heard this the first few months I had the set.

Anyone else experience anything like this? How would I go about determining if I really do have a speaker problem that needs to be addressed under warranty?

XBox - IndyMark007
Old 01-07-2014, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)

Wondering if someone could help me work out if I got ripped off on tax or not.

This was at BJ's, where I was taxed on the "pre sale price".

tv was 1599.99, minus instant savings of 730.00

total I spent at BJs including tv after savings(where it was $869.00) was 1030.27

tax was $142.00. NY tax is 8.875%

how is 8.875% of 1030.27 $142?

Old 01-07-2014, 07:59 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbejason View Post

Think the Netflix app on these TVs will ever get SuperHD? I still use my PlayStation to stream Netflix because my TV never gets SuperHD. 

I use SuperHD all the time on the version of Netflix included with the TV...

Old 01-07-2014, 09:08 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JingoFresh View Post

Wondering if someone could help me work out if I got ripped off on tax or not.

This was at BJ's, where I was taxed on the "pre sale price".

tv was 1599.99, minus instant savings of 730.00

total I spent at BJs including tv after savings(where it was $869.00) was 1030.27

tax was $142.00. NY tax is 8.875%

how is 8.875% of 1030.27 $142?

You were charged tax on the $1599 it seems, I think this is how some companies do it, Costco,Sams, etc. I've seen that posted in the store sometimes.

Tags
Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect