Forum Jump: 

post #1621 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 09:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by therob View Post

Hi, newbie here.  Just got my 50" a couple weeks ago and love it but having an annoying issue:  I can't play MKV files through my SMB share.  They don't even show up in the list.  BUT some of them will show up and play if I change the file extension to AVI (a youtube tip), probably 50% success rate here.  Maybe an encoding issue but I've tried different settings and audio codecs but the MKVs still don't show up.  Considering a firmware update but figured I'd post here first to see if anybody might have any suggestions first.  Thanks.  I emailed Samsung support, currently waiting for a response.

Could be an issue with the mkv file because I have had 1 or 2 that didn't play but all the rest played with no issues from usb/plex/smb etc.

Samsung UN55F6300AF
Sony KDL-40Z4100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I've just spent the past hour on the phone with Samsung Tier 2 Support. Frankly, I'm disappointed in Samsung. They have no desire to fix ARC as evidenced by the new firmware not addressing it and have deflected the blame on Netflix.
post #1623 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Has anyone got the IR extender to work with Cox's new Contour boxes (CISCO 9865HDC)? I have tried everything and the Samsung remote will not control that stb.

post #1624 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heresnowhy View Post

I've just spent the past hour on the phone with Samsung Tier 2 Support. Frankly, I'm disappointed in Samsung. They have no desire to fix ARC as evidenced by the new firmware not addressing it and have deflected the blame on Netflix.

I was thinking about this over the weekend, and it could be the Netflix app (which doesn't relieve Samsung of responsibility to work with them to fix). Since the Netflix app didn't update until the 1120 code, I wonder if it is just not storing the ARC configuration properly on startup, so that it restores it on exit. I would bet that is "requirement" of all the apps, and something broke on the Netflix update.

We, the users, shouldn't have to worry about this, though.

Rick Brodzinsky

SF Bay Area - OTA & Xfinity

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #1625 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 12:33 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post

Just installed new update 1121. Netflix STILL doesn't work. I'm about to return this trash.

Hello Risky,

I have a slightly different model Samsung but the same problem as you. Since updating to 1120, and now to 1121, Netflix does not open at all.  It just shows a blank screen.

The other posters here are talking about what input they are returned to when they exit Netflix.  THIS IS NOT THE SAME PROBLEM.  Since it updated to 1120 and now 1121 I have no Netflix.

The app is there but the only thing it shows is a blank screen, no matter how long I let it sit.  By the way I have had this TV for 9 months and not had this problem before, so it came from the update.

Now getting Samsung to fix it?  I don't know.

Has anyone else had this problem and been able to get the Netflix app to open again?

rblancrt

post #1626 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eckohb View Post

Convert it to an .MP4 or an .avi file and you should be alright. My 360 wont play .mkv files, not surprising that the USB input on our TVs doesnt either

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkk View Post

Could be an issue with the mkv file because I have had 1 or 2 that didn't play but all the rest played with no issues from usb/plex/smb etc.

Thanks for the replies.  I've tried changing them to AVI and it does work sometimes but not always.  On a file that worked as AVI, I changed the file extension on my PC while still in the folder on my TV (back to MKV) and tried it again, went from working to error "This content format is currently not supported" or something similar to that.  I don't want to have to guess my settings and be constantly changing my file extensions so if MKV works for other people I think it should work for me as well.

post #1627 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 12:56 PM
DTS

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Try running (remux) the MKV files through MKVTOOLNIX
Get the PORTABLE version rather than installing the software just in case you dont like it or it doesn't work (though it should)
http://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html

Sometimes it's a header issue and sometimes it just wasn't encoded correctly.

post #1628 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblancrt View Post

Hello Risky,

I have a slightly different model Samsung but the same problem as you. Since updating to 1120, and now to 1121, Netflix does not open at all.  It just shows a blank screen.

The other posters here are talking about what input they are returned to when they exit Netflix.  THIS IS NOT THE SAME PROBLEM.  Since it updated to 1120 and now 1121 I have no Netflix.

The app is there but the only thing it shows is a blank screen, no matter how long I let it sit.  By the way I have had this TV for 9 months and not had this problem before, so it came from the update.

Now getting Samsung to fix it?  I don't know.

Has anyone else had this problem and been able to get the Netflix app to open again?

rblancrt

My Netflix wouldn't open last night after I updated to 1121. I went to the menu, selected "reset Smart Hub" and it fixed it. It required me to update about 17 apps, took about 2 minutes and then Netflix worked.
post #1629 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 01:39 PM

Vizio M651D-A2R VS Samsung UN65F6350
what do you guys think is a better model? the Vizio is aboutt 200 more than the samsung.
thank you in advance.
post #1630 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 02:16 PM

I have already tried resetting SmartHub since updating to 1121.  But, I can try it again.  I tried it several times after the update to 1120 and it didn't help.  But I'm glad to hear of someone correcting the problem.  Maybe it will work for me to eventually.

post #1631 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

My Netflix wouldn't open last night after I updated to 1121. I went to the menu, selected "reset Smart Hub" and it fixed it. It required me to update about 17 apps, took about 2 minutes and then Netflix worked.

so does it fix the arc issue?
post #1632 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorge View Post

so does it fix the arc issue?

No, it doesn't fix ARC, but it does fix Netflix not loading...
post #1633 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:

Hello heresnowhy,

I tried reset smart hub again, but it didn't change anything.  I wonder if you could tell me what version of Netflix you have.  The version number is shown on the More Apps page. I have Version 4.005, Perhaps that is the problem.

Thanks,

rblancrt

post #1634 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

Oh sorry I meant the firmware update not resetting smart hub. I figured the arc fix would be in this version, I am still stuck on 1116.
post #1635 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:

Hello heresnowhy,

I tried reset smart hub again, but it didn't change anything.  I wonder if you could tell me what version of Netflix you have.  The version number is shown on the More Apps page. I have Version 4.005, Perhaps that is the problem.

Thanks,
rblancrt

We are using the same Netflix Version; 4.005. Just verified.
post #1636 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalkypink View Post

Sounds like an issue with the IR blaster. Do you have it plugged in securely?  Is it pointed toward the IR receiver on the comcast stb? When you say the comcast channel guide do you mean the samsung guide that reads the channel info from the internet, or the actual comcast stb guide (accessed by pressing the stb guide button)? If you're able to access the stb guide but still not able to change the channel that might be something more complicated, but it sounds like you just need to make sure your IR blaster setup is all kosher.

I meant the Samsung guide that reads the info from the internet, so I guess that nothing with the stb has ever worked. In order to connect an stb, does it have to be plugged into the HDMI STB port? My cable box only has AV out, so my stb is plugged into my AV in port. When I am configuring the setup, I am selecting AV as the source, but will this just simply not work?

post #1637 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 07:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodaboy581 View Post

PC mode does, in fact, disable dimming on the display. I just tested it using the black clipping pattern from AVSHD disc.

On Game mode, the words to the left of the pattern dim in and out as it is flashing on Game mode. On PC mode, that is not the case.

I also did another calibration in PC mode after noticing that.

But PC mode does the trick. No dimming, low latency, perfect for gaming and great (not PERFECT) colors. Getting perfect colors is almost impossible with most displays anyway, but you can come pretty close.

Enable PC mode by pressing "Source" then going to "Tools" in the upper right and "Edit Name" to "PC".

Picture
Picture Mode: Standard
Backlight: 9
Contrast: 95
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 50
Color/Tint (cannot be adjusted)
Picture Size: 16:9

Advanced Settings
Dynamic Contrast: Off (Cannot be adjusted)
Black Tone: Off (Cannot be adjusted)
Flesh Tone: 0 (Cannot be adjusted)
Color Space: Native (Cannot be adjusted)
White Balance: R-Offset 27/G-Offset 24/B-Offset 24/R-Gain 15/G-Gain 25/B-Gain 19
10p White Balance: Off (Cannot be adjusted)
Gamma: -1

Picture Options
Color Tone: Warm2
Digital Clean View: Off (Cannot be adjusted)
MPEG Noise Filter: Off (Cannot be adjusted)
HDMI Black Level: Low
Film Mode: Off (Cannot be adjusted)
Auto Motion Plus: Off (Cannot be adjusted)

PDF of calibration report: http://www.vengefulsoda.com/Samsung_UN65F6300_PC_Mode_Standard_FW1120_Gamma_2.3.pdf

I finally got a chance to try this today and it works great compared the before many thanks. The only change I usually have to change it backlight up to 11 for some reason it just look too dark for me at 9 on all the various calibration settings people have posted on the forum.

Samsung UN55F6300AF
Sony KDL-40Z4100
post #1638 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 07:27 PM

rblancrt:

I had issues with netflix following the 1120 update. I had a black screen and was able to get it to work by actually unplugging the tv to restart it. Ymmv
post #1639 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wihio View Post

rblancrt:

I had issues with netflix following the 1120 update. I had a black screen and was able to get it to work by actually unplugging the tv to restart it. Ymmv

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have unplugged the TV several times trying to fix this.  But maybe I should unplug it while it is stuck on the black screen.  Not something I would normally do but I might try it.

post #1640 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 08:02 PM

Thanks Samsung. This is the first product I've purchased that systematically has bugs and glitches added to it as it ages. Impressive.
post #1641 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I have unplugged the TV several times trying to fix this.  But maybe I should unplug it while it is stuck on the black screen.  Not something I would normally do but I might try it.

Nope that didn't work either.

post #1642 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 09:28 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Anyone having problems with wifi dropouts?

I've tried 1120 where it happened and 1121 is worse.

Netflix, hbo go, pandora, DLNA stuff...it all drops out during playback. I don't have this problem with my 5300 nor any other device I have.

Could my tv be defective?
post #1643 of 2216 Old 02-17-2014, 10:25 PM

Netflix 4005 also. Tried resetting smart hub. No go. Netflix still goes to a black screen until I hit source or menu or anything. Everything else works great. I use Amazon Prime video more anyway and it's never had a single hiccup. Netflix worked before any update so I'm certain it's the netflix app. What irks me is in the Samsung App Store there's no option to uninstall or update it.
post #1644 of 2216 Old 02-18-2014, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowermb View Post

I meant the Samsung guide that reads the info from the internet, so I guess that nothing with the stb has ever worked. In order to connect an stb, does it have to be plugged into the HDMI STB port? My cable box only has AV out, so my stb is plugged into my AV in port. When I am configuring the setup, I am selecting AV as the source, but will this just simply not work?

For the samsung remote to have any influence over your stb you need to connect your IR blaster (that came with your tv) to the IR out port on the back of the TV (located above the 3.5mm audio out/headphone jack and below hdmi4/dvi..at least on my un40f6300 that's where it's located) and you need the IR blaster pointing at the IR receiver on your stb (if you can place your IR blaster a couple feet away from the stb it's ok to just point it at the front of the stb but if it's within 6 inches or so it needs to be aimed at the IR receiver on the cable box pretty directly, you can usually find it just by shining a flashlight on the front of the cable box). If you don't use the IR blaster there's no way for the TV to communicate with the STB. No data is sent from the TV through to the STB via HDMI or component video.

post #1645 of 2216 Old 02-18-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risky View Post

Netflix 4005 also. Tried resetting smart hub. No go. Netflix still goes to a black screen until I hit source or menu or anything. Everything else works great. I use Amazon Prime video more anyway and it's never had a single hiccup. Netflix worked before any update so I'm certain it's the netflix app. What irks me is in the Samsung App Store there's no option to uninstall or update it.

I have used Netflix on this TV for 9 months. This is ridiculous.  There has to be a way to get it working again.

post #1646 of 2216 Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM

Quote:

I have used Netflix on this TV for 9 months. This is ridiculous.  There has to be a way to get it working again.

Try deleting Netflix maybe? In the More Apps menu?
post #1647 of 2216 Old 02-18-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Try deleting Netflix maybe? In the More Apps menu?

Oh I wish this was possible.  Unfortunately Netflix is not deletable.

Does anyone know what firmware version there was before 1120, and where I could download it?

Samsung's website only offers the newest version for download.

post #1648 of 2216 Old 02-18-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Quote:

Quote:

Hello heresnowhy,

Thanks,

rblancrt

I have the Samsung UN32EH5300, With Netflix Ver 4.004.

Since you tried the reset option in the Smart Hub, and that didn't wipe the current version of Netflix from the hub, here's one last thing you might want to give a shot. Change the country/region for the S-Hub, then change back to the US. This will wipe the apps and settings that aren't available in whatever region you pick.

When I did this (long story short-I'm using a VPN, and switched countries to check out apps that aren't available here), the NF app reverted back to the previous one before the current standardized version with the tiles and black background. I then did a reinstall, which brought me back to ver 4.004.

Since you're not using a vpn, then it shouldn't load any apps when you switch countries. Just change back to US when you're finished.

Another note--Under the settings menu, when you click Tools after highllighting an app, there's a ''Lock'' option. I don't know what it does, but I'm wondering if it locks that app and prevents it from updating/changing, for just locks it and stops it from being used. If the former, you could use it to block any further updates should you get Netflix working again.

Here are the instructions for changing the Smart Hub region.

http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions/articles/94564-changing-the-smarthub

Dazed and confused over high tech.

Sigh...Concrap. The Internet Overlord Cometh
They're not com-tastic!
post #1649 of 2216 Old 02-18-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Since you tried the reset option in the Smart Hub, and that didn't wipe the current version of Netflix from the hub, here's one last thing you might want to give a shot. Change the country/region for the S-Hub, then change back to the US. This will wipe the apps and settings that aren't available in whatever region you pick.

When I did this (long story short-I'm using a VPN, and switched countries to check out apps that aren't available here), the NF app reverted back to the previous one before the current standardized version with the tiles and black background. I then did a reinstall, which brought me back to ver 4.004.

Since you're not using a vpn, then it shouldn't load any apps when you switch countries. Just change back to US when you're finished.

Another note--Under the settings menu, when you click Tools after highllighting an app, there's a ''Lock'' option. I don't know what it does, but I'm wondering if it locks that app and prevents it from updating/changing, for just locks it and stops it from being used. If the former, you could use it to block any further updates should you get Netflix working again.

Here are the instructions for changing the Smart Hub region.

http://help.unotelly.com/support/solutions/articles/94564-changing-the-smarthub

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I tried this about an hour ago.  Once I switched back to the US it updated several apps.  I'm not sure if it updated Netflix since it was the first app and I didn't realize what was happening at first.  But whatever happened I ended up with the same version of Netflix as I had before.  And I have not gotten it to open yet.

I had hope for this one.  I might try it again later.

post #1650 of 2216 Old 02-18-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C View Post

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately I tried this about an hour ago.  When I switched back to the US it did update several apps.  I'm not sure if Netflix updated because it was the first one on the list and I didn't notice what was happening at first.  Whatever happened I ended up with the same version of Netflix as I had before. I still have not gotten it to open.

I had hopes for this one.  I might try it again later.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 250gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page