post #2131 of 2151 Old 06-23-2014, 04:33 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by renegade72 View Post
can someone please explain to me what is the hdmi arc port on the back of the tv....I know it is for audio purposes but is this an input or output from the tv?
Both. It functions as an input for video + audio like the other HDMI ports, but can also output audio from the TV to an AVR when HDMI-CEC is enabled on both devices.

ARC = Audio Return Channel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2132 of 2151 Old 06-25-2014, 01:41 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampidemic View Post
Both. It functions as an input for video + audio like the other HDMI ports, but can also output audio from the TV to an AVR when HDMI-CEC is enabled on both devices.

ARC = Audio Return Channel
Just wondering if I could get your input..

I understand ARC is the replacement for optical and HDMI-CEC allows for power on / poweroff..

Are ARC and CEC used on the same HDMI port, the receivers single HDMI out?

I just bought the Yamaha YHT-49 receiver and speakers package, which supports true surround and HDMI-CEC and ARC. I had the option of getting that or the Onkyo HT-S3500 which seemed much the same, but I figured Yahoo was a better quality brand.

Was one of those systems better than the other or more compatible with this series of TV?
post #2133 of 2151 Old 06-25-2014, 07:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingoFresh View Post
Just wondering if I could get your input..

I understand ARC is the replacement for optical and HDMI-CEC allows for power on / poweroff..

Are ARC and CEC used on the same HDMI port, the receivers single HDMI out?

I just bought the Yamaha YHT-49 receiver and speakers package, which supports true surround and HDMI-CEC and ARC. I had the option of getting that or the Onkyo HT-S3500 which seemed much the same, but I figured Yahoo was a better quality brand.

Was one of those systems better than the other or more compatible with this series of TV?

HDMI-CEC can work on any port if both devices support it. It can be used for other control functions besides power off (example: volume, channel change, etc.)

ARC requires specified ports. Your TV has an ARC port, on a receiver it would be the TV connection port.

Not sure as to whether either of those receivers have compatibility issues with this TV. These issues, if present can be annoying, but are usually manageable.
post #2134 of 2151 Old 06-25-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:
HDMI-CEC can work on any port if both devices support it. It can be used for other control functions besides power off (example: volume, channel change, etc.)

ARC requires specified ports. Your TV has an ARC port, on a receiver it would be the TV connection port.

Not sure as to whether either of those receivers have compatibility issues with this TV. These issues, if present can be annoying, but are usually manageable.
Thanks.

Only thing I am unclear on is if HDMI-CEC and ARC can be on the same HDMI port or not?
post #2135 of 2151 Old 06-25-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, the TV is plugged into the HDMI-Out port on the AVR. HDMI-2 input on the TV allows the use of ARC (and CEC), while the HDMI-1 input only supports the CEC commands, without audio return.

Both brands you note are good, and you can find avid supporters of either.

Rick Brodzinsky

SF Bay Area - OTA & Xfinity

Samsung UN46F6350
Marantz NR1604
TIVO Premiere
Samsung BD-5900
post #2136 of 2151 Old 06-25-2014, 08:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks.

Only thing I am unclear on is if HDMI-CEC and ARC can be on the same HDMI port or not?
Yes, HDMI-CEC must be on to use ARC.
post #2137 of 2151 Old 06-26-2014, 02:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I think a lot of people use WMC, so not sure why you are having this issue. I think there is a WMC thread where you might want to ask about this.

I like Serviio though, it has remuxing and transcoding features that increase compatibility for playback.
Thanks! I'll do some playing. Lots to learn in the world of media servers -- I just today noticed that I can play movies at work on my phone that are hosted on my PC at home via "Samsung Link." What will they think of next?
post #2138 of 2151 Old 06-26-2014, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
Thanks.

Yes, HDMI-CEC is the control capability that is a part of the HDMI spec. It allows HDMI devices to control each other. For example, if you have an HDMI-CEC capable Blu Ray player, an HDMI-CEC AVR and a Smart TV, they will control one another in certain circumstances. If you power on one, it will likely power on all of the devices. If you use the volume adjustment on your TV remote and HDMI-CEC is enabled, it will change the volume on your AVR.

Audio Return Channel, or ARC is a part of HDMI-CEC control. ARC capable devices can send AND receive audio through ARC but HDMI-CEC must be enabled. I had to do this on my F6300 and my Denon 1912 in order to get the F6300 to send audio to my speakers through the Denon AVR when watching content from the smart menu of my TV (Netflix, youtube, Spotify etc)

Enabling HDMI-CEC on your devices will create some annoying quirks. My tv likes to take control of my AVR when I power it on and automatically turn my AVR input to "TV" so that the smart hub will send audio to the AVR. But 90% of the time, I use my PS3 for content (Blu Ray, Netflix, Amazon Prime, games etc) so for a while I would have to manually switch my AVR back to PS3 (BD) input after power on even though my Harmony Remote already sent the signal to go to the PS3 input....the smart TV would take control and make the AVR switch to "TV" input because obviously the SmartTV takes precedence. So I eventually figured out that if I turn on my PS3's HDMI-CEC, when I power everything on and the SmartTV tries to take control, all I have to so is fiddle with my PS3 controller and the PS3 then takes over the AVR and makes it switch to the PS3 input. That poor Denon AVR is everybody's bitch.

it was annoying until I figured that out. Now it's just a little quirk. It doesn't really interfere with my ability to watch content, but until I figured that out I was pulling my hair out. LOL!

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
post #2139 of 2151 Old 06-27-2014, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 118
My wife just saw a message on the tv, so I dont know the exact wording, but she says it said something like "The terms and conditions of the smart tv have changed and you have to agree to the terms and conditions in order for it to work." Before she could do anything she said it disappeared. Anybody seen this or know what it is??????

never take life seriously
post #2140 of 2151 Old 06-27-2014, 07:18 AM

Anybody using the Vizio s425 with this TV?
post #2141 of 2151 Old 06-27-2014, 06:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeman View Post
My wife just saw a message on the tv, so I dont know the exact wording, but she says it said something like "The terms and conditions of the smart tv have changed and you have to agree to the terms and conditions in order for it to work." Before she could do anything she said it disappeared. Anybody seen this or know what it is??????
I have seen this a few times, I have never pressed the okay button before the message timed out or paid much attention to the message. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable these messages or revisit them after they time out, but I have never been forced to 'agree' to anything to proceed either.
yankeeman likes this.
post #2142 of 2151 Old 06-28-2014, 01:04 PM

So I have a receiver, the Yamaha 497bl.

HDMI cable is connected from HDMI out on receiver (marked as ARC) to hdmi2 on my TV (also marked as ARC).

I got the TV to recognize the receiver, but no sound comes out no matter what audio input I choose on receiver.

Trying to play stuff through amazon and Netflix.

Everything is plugged in and connected correctly. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited by JingoFresh; 06-28-2014 at 01:19 PM.
post #2143 of 2151 Old 06-28-2014, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I have a receiver, the Yamaha 497bl.

HDMI cable is connected from HDMI out on receiver (marked as ARC) to hdmi2 on my TV (also marked as ARC).

I got the TV to recognize the receiver, but no sound comes out no matter what audio input I choose on receiver.

Trying to play stuff through amazon and Netflix.

Everything is plugged in and connected correctly. What am I doing wrong?
Make sure you have HDMI-CEC enabled on the TV and receiver, then check receiver input settings. There may be a thread for your receiver to get feedback on the needed receiver settings to use ARC.
post #2144 of 2151 Old 06-29-2014, 04:38 PM

Liked: 11
I used the SmartTV function today and I was greeted by a TOS contract from Yahoo.com for some of its content which I accepted. Has anyone else received this?Thanks.
post #2145 of 2151 Old 06-30-2014, 01:35 AM

Is the official skype camera really the only one that works with the TV? Would like to just have one webcam and would be fine with switching it each time. $70 for a dedicated TV webcam seems expensive.
post #2146 of 2151 Old 07-02-2014, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Quote:
I have seen this a few times, I have never pressed the okay button before the message timed out or paid much attention to the message. There doesn't seem to be a way to disable these messages or revisit them after they time out, but I have never been forced to 'agree' to anything to proceed either.
Thanks bud. We havent seen it again. Why oh why are electronics nowadays so flaky???? So far after a few months though, the set works perfectly, including Netflix (I havent checked to see what software level i am on, but when it was delivered the Geek Squad set it up for automatic upgrading).

never take life seriously
post #2147 of 2151 Old 07-09-2014, 04:42 PM

Hi,
I have a un60f6350 and it is on OTA antenna with a tivo roamio. The last 2 weeks when I turn it on in the morning it will change from HDMI 1 to antenna all by itself. I had it down load the 1200 firmware, but it still changes imput to antenna. Sorry if this issue is common but I'm new to this thread.

Thanks
SS-Stingray
post #2148 of 2151 Old 07-10-2014, 06:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Is the official skype camera really the only one that works with the TV? Would like to just have one webcam and would be fine with switching it each time. $70 for a dedicated TV webcam seems expensive.
As far as I know the Samsung camera is the only one that works properly.
post #2149 of 2151 Old 07-10-2014, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss-stingray View Post
Hi,
I have a un60f6350 and it is on OTA antenna with a tivo roamio. The last 2 weeks when I turn it on in the morning it will change from HDMI 1 to antenna all by itself. I had it down load the 1200 firmware, but it still changes imput to antenna. Sorry if this issue is common but I'm new to this thread.

Thanks
SS-Stingray
If you are using ARC and an AVR , this is a common issue affecting certain AVRs. The most effective resolution is to feed the AVR with the optical output and turn off HDMI-CEC/ARC.

FYI, as best I can tell, the TV never sends anything other than AC3 (up to 5.1) or PCM (2.0) using ARC. I don't believe there is a quality advantage to using ARC (as would be the case if the TV could output DD Plus not supported over optical).
post #2150 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 06:45 AM

Quote:
If you are using ARC and an AVR , this is a common issue affecting certain AVRs. The most effective resolution is to feed the AVR with the optical output and turn off HDMI-CEC/ARC.

FYI, as best I can tell, the TV never sends anything other than AC3 (up to 5.1) or PCM (2.0) using ARC. I don't believe there is a quality advantage to using ARC (as would be the case if the TV could output DD Plus not supported over optical).
Thanks but I didn't understand your reply. I called Samsung and they remotely reset to factory. I will know tomorrow if fixed. It seems to be fixed since it didn't repeat after reset. Once again smart tv's that dumbed down.

SS-Stingray
post #2151 of 2151 Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hello. Don't blame but sometimes I like the so called "soap opera effect" (judder reduction). I use a 32F6300 HDTV with my PC and whenever I play a BD movie or watch a youtube.com video I can clearly see these "soap opera effect" but whenever I watch a movie in the .mkv format (via players like VLC or JRiver or any other player) no "soap opera effect" is there. Reading the judder reduction description of my TV it says that it works with "video source with film signals". If my TV reads the signals fed from my BD player and from youtube.com how can I make my TV to read the signals from my .mkv players as "film signals" too so I can have said SOE when watching those .mkv files? Any help would be much appreciated!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page