Ofiicial Sony XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Anticipation Thread ( Local Dimming and 4K Technoligy !! ) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 303 Old 05-14-2013, 05:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked: 200
In Canada, only Amazon has the 4K Blu-rays. FS says we should see them there next Tuesday.

After stopping at BB tonight and viewing the Sony 4K 65" - 4K is were it's at in my Future. Don't know why they're all messing and arguing over 1080P sets! LG 55LV9500, your days are numbered!
Good thing the City is taking all my money for the next couple of months or that Sony 65" would have been in my basement tonight! (Although I'm still hoping for this set to come out without speakers.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 303 Old 05-15-2013, 02:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Just got my 65".

It does have some clouding. 4 little clouds at the top of the picture evenly spread out. Does anyone else have any clouding? I didn't see any clouding on the store models, but I'm sure Sony picks out the best ones for display.

Black levels are good, but not near as inky as the full-array 950.

There is very very minimal banding. It's practically not even noticeable during viewing. The only time I could really see it is when I played a vertical banding test scene. Hockey looked really good.

3D is the best I've ever seen on a TV. I wasn't a huge 3D fan until today. Now I'm really looking forward to seeing some movies/sporting events in 3D.

Sound is really good. I have a HT system so it's a shame they won't be used.

Viewing angle REALLY washes out when you move left and right. Much more than the 950.

Overall so far, I really like it. Only thing bugging me is the clouding. I don't know if I am expecting too much?
post #273 of 303 Old 05-15-2013, 03:11 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
At the price you paid, you shouldn't be dealing with clouding.
post #274 of 303 Old 05-15-2013, 06:59 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbrod1 View Post

Interesting I watched day 2 of VE and wrote down the settings that I saw which are slightly different from yours. I'm getting essentially the same settings but;
color temp warm 2
resolution 21
motionflow clear plus

I wonder why the settings are different one would think they should be the same unless daylight/night/3d etc.

I do not know how to get to get to Cinema 1 in picture mode I only have three options, custom, standard and vivid.

Look for a scene select option in the menus, here you will find cinema (1/2) game made etc.
post #275 of 303 Old 05-15-2013, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Salesman at BB told me, any clients found inside the Service Menu, will find their Warrantee Null and Void. Only their ISF Qualified Techies are allowed in there, and the initial Calibrating is $99.

Getting reports in, the Sony's are selling out, even the 84"!
post #276 of 303 Old 05-15-2013, 11:38 PM

Liked: 10
How do you get those three mastered in 4k blurays from Sony? I bought this tv and I don't see anywhere where they mention this promotion, any help is appreciated thanks...
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm823 View Post

Just bought a new XBR-55X900A and love it from hhGregg. All the stores and online are selling them for the same price-the only difference being state sales tax rates They had over 30 in stock so they are available in advance of the reported 5/20 ship date.

Despite numerous posts, the screen picture is much brighter/vibrant and sharper with better color, yet smooth pixel-less for regular network broadcasts. Blu-ray disk movies are improved with sharpness, better color, and a picture that "grabs you", so I do not agree with some posts that the picture is the same as the 1080p TVs. The up scaling is noticeable. Also YouTube is now offering 4K videos so you can see what new source material will look like. Not sure what the new Blu-ray disks with 4K mastering will do for this new 4K TV. Sony provides via mail 3 of these disks when buying the new 4K TVs The biggest improvement for me was the exceptional sound quality and passive 3D. The difference between my 2 year old NX810 and this X900A is remarkable

My sound is better than I was getting using a Boston Acoustics sound bar (w/subwoofer) with my old TV. The sound is very close to my Bose system. Very happy with the new speakers. And yes my 55inch takes up by 60" entertainment center space or I would have purchased the 65" TV. But I am happy with the new speakers and the fact they are attached makes for a good looking TV. My wife is very happy as the new TV looks great with her furniture instead of a sound bar popping out of a wall or corner. These new speakers produce an exceptional sound better than any Sony TV I have ever had including those that had front mounted speakers. There are 6 speakers with a total 65watts

The 3D is exceptional, as good as a movie theater with great 3D depth and a brighter picture (my 2 complaints with the NX810). Much better depth and much sharper than my previous Sony TV (NX810). Also the simulated 3D is also good. And the passive 3D is easy on your eyes. Just watched Avatar 3D and my eyes are not tired as they would be with an active 3D. 3D is now worth watching and the glasses are light on your ears as they are only a thin plastic (no batteries)

Price is steep but happy with the purchase
post #277 of 303 Old 05-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 23
FYI these magnetic speakers uses technology made by NASA.
It contains ferrofluid, a very neat colloidal liquid compound. I've played with it in my labs!

It replaces dampers, thus eliminating friction. Now these speakers are able to
produce clear sound in a small size; aprox. up to 3 decibels clearer sounds in
all frequencies!
Troy LaMont likes this.
post #278 of 303 Old 05-16-2013, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Has anyone checked out how any of the Mastered in 4k blu rays that hit the stores today, look on this television?
The question is, will any blu ray player actually transmit true 4K thru to the 4K unit ??
post #279 of 303 Old 05-16-2013, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself View Post

FYI these magnetic speakers uses technology made by NASA.
It contains ferrofluid, a very neat colloidal liquid compound. I've played with it in my labs!

It replaces dampers, thus eliminating friction. Now these speakers are able to
produce clear sound in a small size; aprox. up to 3 decibels clearer sounds in
all frequencies!

A ringing endorsement.
post #280 of 303 Old 05-16-2013, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by sony 55 inch 4k View Post

How do you get those three mastered in 4k blurays from Sony? I bought this tv and I don't see anywhere where they mention this promotion, any help is appreciated thanks...

Sony free Blue Ray 4K master disks available (3 titles) from Sony for sales thru 7/31/13. Go to www.sony.com/registermy4K. You will need your X900 serial number. I saw the flyer at BestBuy, but it is sponsored by Sony not any specific retailer

Don
SW Florida area
post #281 of 303 Old 05-16-2013, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The question is, will any blu ray player actually transmit true 4K thru to the 4K unit ??

I bought the new Sony BDP-S790 that claims it up scales Blu-ray to 4K and passes it to the Sony HDTV. My X900 says it is receiving a 4K resolution so I believe this cinfirms that the player will transmit 4K. You need a HDMI cable capable if high speed band width. I found them on the internet for less than $10

Don
SW Florida area
post #282 of 303 Old 05-16-2013, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

I bought the new Sony BDP-S790 that claims it up scales Blu-ray to 4K and passes it to the Sony HDTV. My X900 says it is receiving a 4K resolution so I believe this cinfirms that the player will transmit 4K. You need a HDMI cable capable if high speed band width. I found them on the internet for less than $10

No thanks, I think I'll wait for HDMI 2.0, or the death of my Kuro, whichever comes later.
post #283 of 303 Old 05-16-2013, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I did not know that blu ray can transmit 4K, sweet. So can a 4K movie fit on a blu ray disk ? Is there enough space on the disk ? Maybe it will be like the older laser disk players, lol. 2-3 disks per movie. The laser disks where 12" across and about 3/16 think. Any one remember those ?
post #284 of 303 Old 05-16-2013, 04:35 PM

Liked: 15
Okay people! My XBR-55X900A arrived today.

This is the owner's thread just started for all observations, comments, questions, settings, etc.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1473062/official-sony-xbr-55x900a-xbr-65x900a-owners-thread
post #285 of 303 Old 05-18-2013, 11:55 AM

So I have a little issue with my 65". There is a 16 inch crack running down the side of the tv where the side panel isn't black. Not sure if they forgot to paint that or whatever they do to get it black.

Anyway, spoke with Sony about the issue and sent them pictures. First they setup an exchange and told me a new unit would be here in a week.

Next morning I get a phone call at 8am telling me they've decided not to exchange my unit and this is a completely "NORMAL" viewing condition according to their US engineers and their Japanese engineers.

After being on the phone for 2 hours with them they told me it was normal and that I have two options. Option 1 - For me to haul the 118lb tv to my local store to exchange it, which of course they don't have any in stock, and I also have a condition as well which prevents me from doing so, so I would have to hire people to take it down. Option 2 - I could return it and pay the astronomical return shipping fees.

Does this look like a normal viewing condition for a $7k TV?

post #286 of 303 Old 05-18-2013, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 42
Mbart11......I'm sorry to hear this. Between this and the issues you had with the 65HX950 exchanges it must seem like the Sony gods are conspiring against you. Let us know what you decide to do.
post #287 of 303 Old 05-18-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmay91472 View Post

Mbart11......I'm sorry to hear this. Between this and the issues you had with the 65HX950 exchanges it must seem like the Sony gods are conspiring against you. Let us know what you decide to do.

Yeah, I definitely am not having the best luck with Sony this year. They were much more willing to solve the HX950 issues. They weren't budging with the x900a. I ran into a lot of resistance. Not sure what's going on with the training programs to work on the manufacturing line at Sony.
post #288 of 303 Old 05-18-2013, 11:11 PM

Do also remember that VE showdown, was just using a typical 1080p content on that 4k television.

No native 4k content or even 4k clip was being used, there is an elysium trailer in native 4k, they never really used true 4k content for the sony 4k there so after seeing the scores and everything its obvious why 4k does not look as good because they prob just stuck a ****** feed to the 4k as well.

Currently Using:
SONY 55HX750
LG 55LM7600
B&W Panorama 1
post #289 of 303 Old 05-19-2013, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orijin View Post

Do also remember that VE showdown, was just using a typical 1080p content on that 4k television.

No native 4k content or even 4k clip was being used, there is an elysium trailer in native 4k, they never really used true 4k content for the sony 4k there so after seeing the scores and everything its obvious why 4k does not look as good because they prob just stuck a ****** feed to the 4k as well.

They did show 4k on day 2 at the end of the even after the voting at took place.So the 4k was not part of the shootout.

Even when they played the 4k content the tv was only calibrated to REC709 ,where as the 4k content has a even wider color space which only the 4k X900 can display if it was allowed to.
post #290 of 303 Old 05-19-2013, 03:40 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I did not know that blu ray can transmit 4K, sweet. So can a 4K movie fit on a blu ray disk ? Is there enough space on the disk ? Maybe it will be like the older laser disk players, lol. 2-3 disks per movie. The laser disks where 12" across and about 3/16 think. Any one remember those ?

With the current compression techniques, no. These are simply 1080p movies mastered in 4k.

The only compression format that could contain a entire 4k movie on a single Blu ray disc would be with Red Ray. Red Ray is around 9gb a hour. A typical 90 minute movie comes in around 13.5gb. Even at that small file size, you literally get a crystal clear picture with no compression artifacts. It achieves this by cutting out light spectrum of video content that the human eye cannot see and then compresses the rest. Impressive stuff. The player will retail for $1,500 making it far out of reach for most consumers. I'm sure it'll drop quick though just like the price of 4k TV's should considering 4k LCD panels are already selling for around $400 to $500 from suppliers that Sony and others use.

Sony claims their digital 4k movies are going to be 100gb+ in file size. Basically, if your ISP has a bandwidth cap, don't expect to download more than two movies a month.
post #291 of 303 Old 05-19-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Probably why Sony wants you to get their Movie Server.
post #292 of 303 Old 05-22-2013, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

Salesman at BB told me, any clients found inside the Service Menu, will find their Warrantee Null and Void. Only their ISF Qualified Techies are allowed in there, and the initial Calibrating is $99.

Getting reports in, the Sony's are selling out, even the 84"!
Just because a person enters the service menu does not void the warranty. However some will go in there and do this and that and this can render the unit useless. Of course at that time they would void the warranty.
post #293 of 303 Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 AM

Liked: 10
Congrats on your new TV!!!

I was wondering if you see those interlaced lines when viewing 3D content? I went to Sony Store because I would like to buy the 65" and we where watching Spider Man on 3D and we could se some horizontal lines when wearing those passive glasses, and I was so disappointed, but my girlfriend and the salesman noticed them too.

They seem to disappear if we were watching from a distance of 10 feet, but if we were closer, lets say 7 feet, we started to notice them. The guy from Sony suggested to watch any 3D content from 10 feet away which ruins the whole experience with the 4K.

I would appreciate any feedback in this matter.

Thanks
post #294 of 303 Old 06-01-2013, 07:43 PM

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbart11 View Post

Yeah, I definitely am not having the best luck with Sony this year. They were much more willing to solve the HX950 issues. They weren't budging with the x900a. I ran into a lot of resistance. Not sure what's going on with the training programs to work on the manufacturing line at Sony.

What was the end result. Sony service gets worse as you go along so I know your issues all too well. Hence my going through the store and sending these subpar panels back to those guys as many times as it took till I was happy.
post #295 of 303 Old 06-06-2013, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 209
I ordered the 65" a few days ago, shipper contacted me to give me a rough delivery date. They will install it on the circular stand and make sure it starts up properly. They'll lift it up onto furniture, but not onto a wall mount, which is fine for me.

The seller takes no responsibility for shipping issues if it's signed for without inspection.
post #296 of 303 Old 06-06-2013, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Every BB I check this set out in has the looped 4K stuff running. I'm going to go back to one of the stores and ask if they will hook up a BD player so I can see some 3D and what upconverted 1080P looks like. Has anyone had any trouble getting BB to do this?
post #297 of 303 Old 06-06-2013, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Every BB I check this set out in has the looped 4K stuff running. I'm going to go back to one of the stores and ask if they will hook up a BD player so I can see some 3D and what upconverted 1080P looks like. Has anyone had any trouble getting BB to do this?

Sony Store had Comcast HD signal available for reference. Standard 1080i looked very impressive, more than just an "oh that's nice" from me at least. It is what clinched my purchase.
post #298 of 303 Old 06-06-2013, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Lee. I got a chance to see MIB 3D on this set at lunch time today. No ghosting but there the picture was lacking in a couple of areas. I'll be going back to adjust some settings tomorrow.
post #299 of 303 Old 06-09-2013, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

The Blu-ray player is up-scaling to 4K but the source is still 1080p.

The 4K mastered blu-rays are scanned at 4K but the resolution is still 1080p and can be played on any blu-ray player. They are using a higher quality source therefore the PQ is better on the 4K mastered.

The new 'Cleopatra' blu ray is being scanned at 8K since they are using a 70mm Todd-O print to remaster, but it will still be 1080p but I have heard it looks outstanding with excellent detail and vivid deluxe color.
post #300 of 303 Old 06-12-2013, 04:18 AM
Advanced Member

Comcast CEO says:

"...his company will introduce a set-top box, called XI3, that’s four times faster and three times smaller than conventional boxes.

Later today Comcast will provide the first public demonstration of U.S.-based delivery of 4K Ultra HD video which can take place over its existing network."

source: http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/brian-roberts-vows-new-set-top-box-features-will-set-pace-for-innovation-cable-show/
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv , Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page