Ofiicial Sony XBR-55X900A / XBR-65X900A Anticipation Thread ( Local Dimming and 4K Technoligy !! ) - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 303 Old 05-07-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick View Post

Yeah, that's what I mean. Will a 60hz signal for example be converted down to 30hz when the television upscales it to 4k.

That's a good question. Maybe someone can contact Sony and ask them about this. I know that owners of the 84" LG who play games being input at 1080p 60fps are very happy and say that game play is really smooth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 303 Old 05-07-2013, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Yeah, that's what I mean. Will a 60hz signal for example be converted down to 30hz when the television upscales it to 4k.

I had the chance to play with the LG 84 at the store and 1080p material always worked at 60hz, even when the tv was scaling it to 4k, it only switched to 30hz when 4k signal was sent, I think in the Sony tv should be the same, the only bad thing is that I tried to force custom resolutions like 2560x1440@60hz trying to avoid the 30hz limitation, but I couldn´t, the tv only accepted either 1080p or 2160p resolutions, maybe in the Sony tv we could force a resolution between 1080p and 2160p.
post #183 of 303 Old 05-07-2013, 05:14 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by abeslu View Post

I had the chance to play with the LG 84 at the store and 1080p material always worked at 60hz, even when the tv was scaling it to 4k, it only switched to 30hz when 4k signal was sent, I think in the Sony tv should be the same, the only bad thing is that I tried to force custom resolutions like 2560x1440@60hz trying to avoid the 30hz limitation, but I couldn´t, the tv only accepted either 1080p or 2160p resolutions, maybe in the Sony tv we could force a resolution between 1080p and 2160p.

Awesome. Was hoping these 4k sets wouldn't impact gaming in that aspect.

Guess I'll just wait and see what is said about a possible upgrade kit for this model as I'd really like to get the 55-inch set.
post #184 of 303 Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrofascist View Post

Chris, can you end our ignorance by letting us know if the X900A will play 4k material via HDMI@60hz? Does it just downconvert the signal to 30hz? This determines if this set is future-proof.

We already know the answer to this. 4k video can only be played at 30hz. 60hz will not be available until HDMI 2.0 comes out. Hence why this thread has had a discussion about a possible upgrade kit being released by Sony so early adopters can upgrade this aspect of their televisions.
post #185 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 AM

Liked: 10
Are these 4K TVs, 120Hz or 240Hz? I have not been able to find any web pages from Sony saying one way or another. It only shows Motionflow 960 which in the past has only been seen with 240Hz TVs.

Amazon and just about every other retailer is listing the X900 as a 120Hz TV.

How can we be buying the state of the art TV, paying 5-7k for a TV that is only 120Hz?

Can anyone show me a link that shows the Hertz of this TV, show that it is either 240Hz or 480Hz and not the 120Hz listed by every retailer? I personally think the 120Hz is a typo, but its being propagated to all the retailers. I wanted to correct them, but need a definitive link to information related to this.
post #186 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 07:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I didn't see it listed either but this might explain why:

Lifelike motion.
Watch the sprinter break off the blocks and race smoothly as the camera follows him from left to right. Even fast moving action sequences from your favorite movies appear amazingly realistic thanks to Motionflow™ XR 960 technology that takes motion clarity beyond refresh rates by smoothing out the picture where the camera can't delivering clearer, more natural movement.
post #187 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vphoner View Post

Are these 4K TVs, 120Hz or 240Hz? I have not been able to find any web pages from Sony saying one way or another. It only shows Motionflow 960 which in the past has only been seen with 240Hz TVs.

How can we be buying the state of the art TV, paying 5-7k for a TV that is only 120Hz?

Can anyone show me a link that shows the Hertz of this TV, show that it is either 240Hz or 480Hz and not the 120Hz listed by every retailer? I personally think the 120Hz is a typo, but its being propagated to all the retailers. I wanted to correct them, but need a definitive link to information related to this.

They do have native high refresh rate 120hz 4k panel.Once you add the frame interpolation and backlight scanning they some how arrive at that 960hz figure.
post #188 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vphoner View Post

Crutchfield.com lists it as being 240hz.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_15865X900/Sony-XBR-65X900A.html#details-tab

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #189 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 188
post #190 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post

here is some info on Motionflow XR

http://hdguru.com/beware-of-phony-lcd-hdtv-refresh-rates/

Thanks for this link: Here is the pertinent information:

Sony

Sony uses the term Motionflow XR followed by a 240, 480 or 960 depending on the model. We contacted Sony to explain what these numbers mean. A spokesperson cited three functions to determine the “XR” number:

“Frame insertion (interpolation), LED backlighting blinking (line blinking), and Image Blur reduction via signal processing. So, for example, a Motionflow XR 960 can be found by multiplying the native refresh times four (240 x 4=960) or as Sony told us: “With frame interpolation, four distinct images in the same time period of 1/60th of a second. 240 Hz times 4 = 960″

According to this, it should be a 240Hz panel, since it claims to be XR 960. Anyone disagree and think its a 120Hz panel as stated by Amazon and other retailers? Only Crutchfield lists 240Hz.
post #191 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 12:06 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

A take on the X900A's magnetic fluid speakers:

First, the speakers lend a dramatic ultra-wide appearance. Every other television looks square and cheap near the X900A. It's beautiful.

Sound quality equals or surpasses many good sound bars. For someone who moves frequently a surround-sound system is inconvenient. Projecting sound bars must be wall-mounted over a set if the room isn't empty. The X900A's speakers are in the perfect location by default.
An added benefit is no separate remote.wink.gif

Lulz. I reiterate the view that:

A) they look horrendous (yes I've seen the 65" in person now)
B) it was a horrible choice by Sony to make them non removable, regardless of quality

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #192 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 12:15 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Lulz. I reiterate the view that:

A) they look horrendous (yes I've seen the 65" in person now)
B) it was a horrible choice by Sony to make them non removable, regardless of quality

They look spectacular but agreed they should be optional. Sony could have priced the X900A even lower and made money off the speakers separately.
post #193 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 12:28 PM

Liked: 47
Quote:

They look spectacular but agreed they should be optional. Sony could have priced the X900A even lower and made money off the speakers separately.

Perfectly said. While I was at Frys checking out the TV, the sales person was telling me that a lot of people who were interested in the TV did not but it because of the speakers (TV was either too wide or they didn't like the look of the speakers).

I would gladly buy this TV if:

1. Sony sold a version of the TV without the huge speakers at a lower price

2. The TV could be updated to the UHD standards (kind of like Samsungs evolution kit)
post #194 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 07:31 PM

Hello All

Saw the 900A at my Local Magnolia store ...

WOW . Please no flames but I like the speakers...

The native 4k Off Sonys new server ... what detail.....!!!

The upconverted Blue ray of Avatar was awesome..
The trluminous LED's work nicely. No Banding evident to me .
And relatively wide sweet spot for an edge lit LED .

I liked this set alot......

BUT I also like the other new set there ... Panasonic VT 60 Plasma.. WOW also.
what shadow detail.... very very nice !!!

I want one of each of these... Its a great time to be and AV buff....

starman14915
post #195 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 07:53 PM

Just bought a new XBR-55X900A and love it from hhGregg. All the stores and online are selling them for the same price-the only difference being state sales tax rates They had over 30 in stock so they are available in advance of the reported 5/20 ship date.

Despite numerous posts, the screen picture is much brighter/vibrant and sharper with better color, yet smooth pixel-less for regular network broadcasts. Blu-ray disk movies are improved with sharpness, better color, and a picture that "grabs you", so I do not agree with some posts that the picture is the same as the 1080p TVs. The up scaling is noticeable. Also YouTube is now offering 4K videos so you can see what new source material will look like. Not sure what the new Blu-ray disks with 4K mastering will do for this new 4K TV. Sony provides via mail 3 of these disks when buying the new 4K TVs The biggest improvement for me was the exceptional sound quality and passive 3D. The difference between my 2 year old NX810 and this X900A is remarkable

My sound is better than I was getting using a Boston Acoustics sound bar (w/subwoofer) with my old TV. The sound is very close to my Bose system. Very happy with the new speakers. And yes my 55inch takes up by 60" entertainment center space or I would have purchased the 65" TV. But I am happy with the new speakers and the fact they are attached makes for a good looking TV. My wife is very happy as the new TV looks great with her furniture instead of a sound bar popping out of a wall or corner. These new speakers produce an exceptional sound better than any Sony TV I have ever had including those that had front mounted speakers. There are 6 speakers with a total 65watts

The 3D is exceptional, as good as a movie theater with great 3D depth and a brighter picture (my 2 complaints with the NX810). Much better depth and much sharper than my previous Sony TV (NX810). Also the simulated 3D is also good. And the passive 3D is easy on your eyes. Just watched Avatar 3D and my eyes are not tired as they would be with an active 3D. 3D is now worth watching and the glasses are light on your ears as they are only a thin plastic (no batteries)

Price is steep but happy with the purchase

Don
XBR-55X900A

SW Florida area

post #196 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 08:38 PM

I've never been impressed with 3D features on TVs........until now! I watched about 15 minutes of IMAX's Under the Sea 3D on the X900A at Best Buy and was blown away! Even if you are skeptical of the benefits of 4k, you owe it to yourself to give the 3D on the X900A a try. I'm assuming the increased 3D performance is due to a combination of the 4k resolution and the Triluminos display.
post #197 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I had my heart set on the W900A but Ive been really I'm impressed with the 4K.
I do a lot of gaming and I'm sure games upscaled from the new PS4 will look amazing.
My question to those who have the TV is how long do you typically keep a TV before upgrading?
Last TV I bought was is 06 and I plan to keep my new one as long.
If I'm going to keep a TV for 5+ years maybe I should just go for the 4K?
post #198 of 303 Old 05-08-2013, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post

I had my heart set on the W900A but Ive been really I'm impressed with the 4K.
I do a lot of gaming and I'm sure games upscaled from the new PS4 will look amazing.
My question to those who have the TV is how long do you typically keep a TV before upgrading?
Last TV I bought was is 06 and I plan to keep my new one as long.
If I'm going to keep a TV for 5+ years maybe I should just go for the 4K?

As long as Sony offers a hardware upgrade solution, this would be a great TV to own for the long run.

Thankfully 4k isn't like HDTV's of the past in terms of upgrades in picture quality. They use the same technology in current televisions so you should be good to go for a long time. I mean, a HDTV from a few years ago still looks plenty good compared to a current model one because nothing too drastic has happened in the past few years. Plasma is a whole other story, but for LCD's Sony is the only ones who really seem to be pushing the technology in terms of how sets are being illuminated and it seems to be mighty impressive. Both 4k owners are raving about it and for those who have seen the 1080p model, are also raving over how stunning the picture is.

By the time you're ready for your next upgrade, OLED TV's should be more than affordable with all the kinks worked out. (I especially hope they figure out how to print the pixels better so you get perfect uniformity and none of that ugly mura at night.)

BTW, seeing you're a gamer, make sure to wait for a review to see what the input lag is. I have a feeling it'll be low though. Apparently the 1080p model is rumored to have a very low input lag and I'm assuming this TV will follow in its shoes considering there is very little difference between the two sets.

I'm curious to see what those 4k videos will be like that will be for sale on the PlayStation 4 video store.
post #199 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 01:08 AM

X900 owners, what do you think of the black levels ? smile.gif
post #200 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

Awesome. Was hoping these 4k sets wouldn't impact gaming in that aspect.

Guess I'll just wait and see what is said about a possible upgrade kit for this model as I'd really like to get the 55-inch set.

The cheap Seiki 4k TV has a 120 hz refresh rate @ 1080p. Great for PC gamers who can take full advantage of their hardware. Would be nice if Sony does something like that.
post #201 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 AM

I spent 2-3 hrs with the Sony 65" 4k tonight.

Black levels not quite as good as the 950 .
BUT no Banding or DSE was evident at all to me...
AND Yes I did look for it...
I think the triluminous LED's had a good effect on colors and contrast etc.
Upconversion was VERY nice BUT native 4k was even better...
Even with the high price I think Sony has a hit here ...
I think I'll get the 65" for my new house AND maybe the
Panasonic VT 65 or ZT 65 if its that much better...

Then until OLED really matures I'll have the BEST of all worlds hee hee...

Hope this helps . I was surprised to find both of them at my local Magnolia Best but.
And BTW we used a less than stellar Blu Ray player... No Oppo ...

Still impressive.

Starman14915
post #202 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldm823 View Post

Just bought a new XBR-55X900A and love it from hhGregg. All the stores and online are selling them for the same price-the only difference being state sales tax rates They had over 30 in stock so they are available in advance of the reported 5/20 ship date.

Despite numerous posts, the screen picture is much brighter and sharper with better color, yet smooth pixel-less for regular network broadcasts. Blu-ray disk movies are improved with sharpness, better color, and a picture that "grabs you", so I do not agree with some posts that the picture is the same as the 1080p TVs. The up scaling is noticeable. Also Yahoo is now offering 4K videos so you can see what new source material will look like. Note sure what the new Blu-ray disks with 4K mastering will do for us. Sony provides via mail 3 of these disks when buying the new 4K TVs The biggest improvement for me was the exceptional sound quality and passive 3D. The difference between my 2 year old NX810 and this X900A is remarkable

My sound is better than I was getting using a Boston Acoustics sound bar (w/subwoofer) with my old TV. The sound is very close to my Bose system. Very happy with the new speakers. And yes my 55inch takes up by 60" entertainment center space or I would have purchased the 65" TV. But I am happy with the new speakers and the fact they are attached makes for a good looking TV. My wife is very happy as the new TV looks great with her furniture instead of a sound bar popping out of a wall or corner. These new speakers produce an exceptional sound better than any Sony TV I have ever had including those that had front mounted speakers. There are 6 speakers with a total 65watts

The 3D is exceptional, as good as a move theater with great 3D depth and a brighter picture (my 2 complaints with the NX810). Much better depth and much sharper than my previous Sony TV (NX810). And the passive 3D is easy on your eyes. Just watched Avatar 3D and my eyes are not tired as they would be with an active 3D. 3D is now worth watching and the glasses are light on your ears as they are only a thin plastic (no batteries)

Price is steep but happy with the purchase

Hoot Man! Nice review. I was especially keen to hear that the 3D picture was bright. I've had 3, large screen 3D TVs and though they got brighter every year the one I have now (65VT50) is still not bright enough. I have it up for sale as I'm moving to 4k asap. I only wish someone would release a 75" set for a nice price.
post #203 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starman14915 View Post

I spent 2-3 hrs with the Sony 65" 4k tonight.

Black levels not quite as good as the 950 .
BUT no Banding or DSE was evident at all to me...
AND Yes I did look for it...
I think the triluminous LED's had a good effect on colors and contrast etc.
Upconversion was VERY nice BUT native 4k was even better...
Even with the high price I think Sony has a hit here ...
I think I'll get the 65" for my new house AND maybe the
Panasonic VT 65 or ZT 65 if its that much better...

Then until OLED really matures I'll have the BEST of all worlds hee hee...

Hope this helps . I was surprised to find both of them at my local Magnolia Best but.
And BTW we used a less than stellar Blu Ray player... No Oppo ...

Still impressive.

Starman14915

You greedy man. What did you think of the passive 3D on the 4k set and how many pairs of passive glasses are in the box?
post #204 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 AM

How about some pictures? biggrin.gif Does the TV look like the pictures of it on Sony's website or are they really shiny? I read where the speakers were really shiny and reflective, hope not as I'm interested in this TV.
post #205 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 11:08 AM

Hello All
I believe they give you 4 Pairs of Glasses.
My Friend at the store said Sony is also releasing their 4 k Server ($700.00 usd) They had one there it was great.
Watching the water fountain scenes from the server you could see individual drops of water at times.
The sweet spot was much wider than I anticipated. The glass is still refectlive it reminds you a little like the XBR950 series
I Fact thats how I would summarize this set Sony took the best from the last few years, trluminos LED better blacks AND Added Native 4K and Great Upscaleing.
The set was not burned in yet so to speak , so it was not calibrated yet.
And TA DA the main thing
You need to see the set with the speakers in Person . The speakers sound great AND
I thought they were ALOT better looking in person than the pictures .
They made the set seem classy and HUGE at the same time.
As I said I think Sony has a winner here , With this set and the Server and
A Good blue ray player .
You could spend ALOT of time watching this TV.
YES it's different from the plasma's and The new plasma's Look great and have their strengths too.
BUT I think that Sony has a winner here with their network, Their server, 4K content available AND this TV...
I also thought the higher res made 3D look more "solid" ...
Go check it out I'd love to see if people have a similar view as I do.
Let me know. I'd love to know what you all think.
starman14915
post #206 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I got four pairs of glasses with the set. You have to assemble them which is extremely easy.
post #207 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 02:34 PM

It's insane to spend $700 on that. The PlayStation 4 is coming out later this year and Sony will be selling 4k movies through it.
post #208 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 PM

Quote:

It's insane to spend $700 on that. The PlayStation 4 is coming out later this year and Sony will be selling 4k movies through it.
They were my thoughts exactly. It's going to be hard to wait the extra 4-5 months, but I feel these players will dramatically fall in price once the ps4 hits the shelves. If on the hand the ps4 didn't have the abilities it's makes a lot of sense even at 700.

Sony should just do a Netflix-type shipping of secure flash drives with 4k content on them that you can transfer to the player and then send back to sony. Solve the bandwidth problem.
post #209 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Today I got my first opportunity to view the Sony XBR-65X900A with 4K demo content at my local Sony Store. Unlike the articles I have read to date, I could definitely see a significant 4K resolution effect from a viewing distance of about 9-10'. The Sony TRILUMINOS (Quantum dots or "semiconductor nanocrystal technology" in their backlighting) produced impressive colors as well.
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-33199_7-57569549-221/what-are-quantum-dots-and-how-could-they-help-your-next-tv/

LB
post #210 of 303 Old 05-09-2013, 05:48 PM

As requested, sample video on Xbox.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gBaLzvXDck
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv , Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Sony
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page