Brand with best backlight uniformity? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-09-2013, 06:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there a consensus on which brand of LCD has the best reputation when it comes to nice, uniform backlighting?

I think I am about to buy a plasma, mostly because I have been scared away from LEDs by reports of "flashlighting" and other nasty things. I like the picture on some LCDs, but I can't consider a model with full local dimming because of my budget. I plan to spend between $900 and $1300, hopefully on a 55" TV.

I watch a lot of movies with black bars at top and bottom, usually in pretty dark room. I can't tolerate any ugliness in those black areas, especially after spending $1000 or so.

Your opinions are valued and appreciated. Thanks.

brlan with an "i"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-09-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
There is a new(ish, Samsung and a few others had it on 2012 models) trend in led backlit lcds, most commonly known as Direct Lit. This uses fewer leds than a "full array local-dimming" set but still placed behind the panel rather than at the edges. These are usually about as thick as ccfl sets were, so not hard to tell apart from the ultra-thin edge lit models. They're also generally at the low end of the price scale. Putting the leds behind the panel rather than at the edges pretty much eliminates edge bleed.

Steve S.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-09-2013, 07:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 88
Do any of the 2013 Samsung models have the direct lit backlighting? Most of them now appear to be edge lit. Last year's EH series was back lit.
post #4 of 15 Old 04-10-2013, 10:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 46
Haven't seen any 2013 direct-lit Samsungs yet. They made a lot of EH models last year and I would expect them to again for 2013 as they sold fairly well. New models aren't all out yet so there is hope.

Steve S.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Samsung intends to greatly expand direct-lit led offerings. Globally, they were planning on going to 80% of LED/LCD Tv's produced being direct-lit. LG is reported on planning to move to 50% direct-lit. There will be plenty on the market shortly, atlhough it seems that most of this is geared for the Chinese market:

http://www.displaysearchblog.com/2013/02/facing-slower-growth-and-increasing-complexity-in-product-mix-lcd-tv-brands-fight-for-share/
post #6 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 03:58 AM

Here's a list of LG's 2013 lineup which includes several direct-LED models. Looks like Amazon has a few of them in stock.

http://www.hdtv-news.com/lg-2013-comparison-database/
post #7 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 07:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 604
Quote:
Originally Posted by keeferb View Post

Here's a list of LG's 2013 lineup which includes several direct-LED models. Looks like Amazon has a few of them in stock.

http://www.hdtv-news.com/lg-2013-comparison-database/
Why would the lower model LGs be direct lit. Has to be some sort of negative to it or they would use it in their higher end models.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 07:17 AM

Quite simply direct-lit is cheaper to make than edge-lit. Direct-lit basically is the same design as old CCFL-lit but replaces the CCFL with LEDs. The reason edge-lit is more expensive is because they need to add lightguides, etc to distribute the light across the screen from the edge of the screen. In direct-lit, the led's are instead distributed behind the screen at a distance so they naturally distribute their light across the panel. In addition, this positioning of the LED's requires fewer LEDs than edge lit. Direct-lit should not be confused with the old full-array LED which, while still placing the LED's directly behind the screen, is done at a much closer distance using many more LED's. Full-array sets are quite expensive to make.

Direct-lit Tv's are fat like old CCFL lit TV's. The consumer demand is for thin TV's so besides being more expensive to make, manufacturers are positioning the thinness factor as a premium feature with edge-lit TV's. The very top end TV's for most manufacturers utlize the old full-array set-up with local dimming, which tend to provide the best PQ out of all LCD formats.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargugl View Post

Quite simply direct-lit is cheaper to make than edge-lit. Direct-lit basically is the same design as old CCFL-lit but replaces the CCFL with LEDs. The reason edge-lit is more expensive is because they need to add lightguides, etc to distribute the light across the screen from the edge of the screen. In direct-lit, the led's are instead distributed behind the screen at a distance so they naturally distribute their light across the panel. In addition, this positioning of the LED's requires fewer LEDs than edge lit. Direct-lit should not be confused with the old full-array LED which, while still placing the LED's directly behind the screen, is done at a much closer distance using many more LED's. Full-array sets are quite expensive to make.

Direct-lit Tv's are fat like old CCFL lit TV's. The consumer demand is for thin TV's so besides being more expensive to make, manufacturers are positioning the thinness factor as a premium feature with edge-lit TV's. The very top end TV's for most manufacturers utlize the old full-array set-up with local dimming, which tend to provide the best PQ out of all LCD formats.
So by purchasing a cheaper LG model you are getting a thicker TV but with better uniformity over a more expensive edge lit TV with lighting issues. How does the pq of a direct lit TV compare to edge lit?
post #10 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 07:33 AM

In theory and in general, yes direct-lit should provide better screen uniformity than edge-lit, although it's not always the case, but direct-lit will not have the obvious corner flashlighting of edge-lit. If all other components are equal, then PQ of both edge lit and direct-lit should be about the same, other than any uniformity/backlight issues.

Generally, unless you are an aesthetics junky there is no reason to pay more for an edge-lit tv over a direct-lit if it has all the features you want..
post #11 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In theory and in general, yes direct-lit should provide better screen uniformity than edge-lit, although it's not always the case, but direct-lit will not have the obvious corner flashlighting of edge-lit. If all other components are equal, then PQ of both edge lit and direct-lit should be about the same, other than any uniformity/backlight issues.

Generally, unless you are an aesthetics junky there is no reason to pay more for an edge-lit tv over a direct-lit if it has all the features you want..
Crazy! The manufacturer's should stop producing this crap! The technology is not there yet with these edge lit LED TVs to sell to the public. Can you imagine if you went to a movie theater and the screen had light issues like these TVs. You would demand your $10 back. So how are people spending $2,000 on these TVs!

I guess for the normal viewer they either don't notice it or don't care. Since there are probably more people that do not care and just throw away their money because all stores say LED TVs are the best you can buy, the manufacturers make their money and are happy.

I would have been embarressed to have someone over my house that does not own an LED TV. Hey, look at my $1,500 new LED TV then hear them say, what is all that lighting on that black screen. Then me saying, oh it's okay because that is what this technology does and the manufacturer says it is okay and not defective. So we just don't watch anything with dark scenes or any letter box movies.
We deal with it though because this is the best thing you can buy right now that is somewhat affordable. That is why this is all you see in stores because it is the best! I am so happy with my purchase : )
post #12 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter

So frustrating...
I am looking to replace my 2007 Toshiba LCD. Not not because it is two inches too thick for my taste, but because I want better blacks and handling of motion. I can't see the extra two inches of thickness when I am watching TV!

brlan with an "i"
post #13 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I'm trying to find decent reviews for the LG LA6200 series. It's back-lit, not edge-lit, so that should theoretically resolve the majority of screen uniformity issues. It's also a passive 3D for an added bonus.
post #14 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post

I'm trying to find decent reviews for the LG LA6200 series. It's back-lit, not edge-lit, so that should theoretically resolve the majority of screen uniformity issues. It's also a passive 3D for an added bonus.
It literally just came out about a month ago, if that, so there won't be a lot of reviews yet. LG's tend not not have the best black levels as most of their TV's use IPS panels, which are notorious for mediocre black levels. The Samsung panels are generally better for black level performance.
post #15 of 15 Old 04-11-2013, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:

The very top end TV's for most manufacturers utlize the old full-array set-up with local dimming, which tend to provide the best PQ out of all LCD formats.

Maybe some do, but with Samsung, even their top-tier flagship models use edge-lit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page