Samsung UNXXF6400 Thread - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 881 Old 07-25-2013, 07:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 58
I've only seen release notes posted in the 7100 and 8000 threads. Not sure where those posters found them...

Btw really interested to hear your findings with the Darby and the 75"er!

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 881 Old 07-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

I've only seen release notes posted in the 7100 and 8000 threads. Not sure where those posters found them...

Btw really interested to hear your findings with the Darby and the 75"er!

Darby arrived this evening! Will get it hooked up and report back later this evening . I'd take pictures but its so hard to get decent pictures showing stuff like that. Have a hard enough time taking pics showcasing how good the set looks normally.
post #273 of 881 Old 07-25-2013, 03:14 PM

Thanks, I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say as well. My 75 gets here tomorrow smile.gif
post #274 of 881 Old 07-25-2013, 06:44 PM

This is a quick and dirty write up so it may not be as thorough as you'd hope for. smile.gif Played with the Darbee a bit. Can't do too much more tonight since I have to do some work. I'll be honest, these images/videos are not the greatest representation since it's all using my phone camera. Trying to stay still, show off the differences and got a decent shot isn't easy. Any color discrepancies you may see are obviously, my phone. It's not great in darker settings.

The first thing I'll say is the unit is small. About the size of cell phone. The remote is a joke - something you'd think an employee at radio shack wired together during their break, but it's serviceable. I already knew it before getting it and the Harmony will be programmer to control it anyways. Even though I thought I'd hate the look of the unit itself, it doesn't bug me too much. It's so small and easy to hide no one will see it.

Hooking it up, I had some problems getting the display to show up. It would act like nothing was in HDMI 1. This could have been some handshaking issue but not sure. I think it was a a loose connection. I jiggled the cords a bit, restarted my tv and replugged the HDMI into it. Something worked and I didn't have issues since then for the last hour of playing with it.

I definitely don't think it's as simple as plugging and playing it. I found myself playing with the settings a bit depending on what I was watching. With (good) HDTV broadcasts, I actually thought 100 wasn't overkill, but I'm no purist. I eventually lowered it to 70 although the effect wasn't as prominent. Worse HDTV broadcasts you won't see as much a benefit from. Garbage in, garbage out so to speak.

Blu rays were more promising. It makes things pop a bit more especially when it comes to the very fine lines of grass and hair. I don't know if I'd go as far to say it's this 3d pop that people describe, but maybe I'll notice that more. More than anything, it really does feel like it lifts a haze off the screen, especially with good Blu ray content like Avatar. I used the Hi Def mode the whole time. I thought the others were overkill.

I didn't notice any edge issues or halos. It really just feels like it takes the details it can find and make them pop more. Whether you like that effect or not is up to you. Sometimes, the native softer image helped focus on the main point of interest more in some of the shot compositions, like in the Hobbit. But at the same time, when you have the Darbee on, you can't help but appreciate the little bit of extra clarity it brings to make some of the scenes pop more.

Is it worth the 300 price tag? I don't think so. At least, not based on the short impressions. But give me a couple weeks. I feel like 100-150 is a more appropriate price. I have to test it out with games still so that may change my mind further. I don't think I'll be returning it. I do like the enhancement enough to stick with it and will likely find myself using the effect on versus off because with certain content it did help give it more of a pop.

Verizon Fios - HDTV shot. One of the better quality feeds. Hard to see since the angles are slightly off.
Darbee off:

Darbee on:

Some videos I posted to youtube showcasing the differences in demo mode. I'd recommend running these in 1080 if you can:

Same documentary shot of the kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5k4kxoAN3s

A less than stellar Verizon Fios HDTV feed of Demolition Man. The quality wasn't the best to begin with and it was a bit soft before hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpLHRpORHR0

Another Verizon Fios HDTV feed on HBO of that crappy Adam Sandler flick, That's My Boy. This feed was better than the Demolition One for sure (mislabelled as Demolition 1 video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImDwXL9cPwU

Three various scenes from the Avatar Blu Ray. Again, if you've seen this on this set, you know it looks much better than my crappy video feeds, but it gives an idea. This black scene in the first video particularly is much brighter, but my phone toned it down a lot for the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwbYEnSkQ04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS1s7mGjtzI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URs7qEoIRyM

Four scenes from the Hobbit. Another great quality Blu Ray that is hard to capture on this camera. The one shot of the grass shows some of the detail that can come out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_cvwdKrTIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvFA1rIRD_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ_1mECy_aY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPY9mjNKL4E
post #275 of 881 Old 07-25-2013, 07:31 PM

Quick update since I just realized I messed up this demo a bit:

I noticed that my tv's settings during blu rays were the picture set as if it was 3D. This is what is basically happening. All the blu rays I have are 3d/2d hybrids (all on the same disc). The Playstation 3 always starts the movie out in 3D mode and kicks in the settings for 3D (with the backlight cranked up and other tweaks). I then turn off 3D mode via the remote and it's in 2D, but it's not reverting to the settings for 2D mode. It still has the backlight way up and all the other settings as if it was in 3D mode. I can't figure out a way to make the darn blu ray start out in 2D and stay that way, so I can use the settings I have for a good 2d picture. Anyone have suggestions?

Separate comment is I'm not terribly happy with the black levels on STB HDTV. It just seems a little washed out. I'm using the settings you posted Anthony from the 7100 thread. I do notice that if I do the black enhancement it feels better, but I know it's always recommended to turn those settings off. I've tried calibrating with the Wow Blu Ray from disney. My contrast is at 100 and brightness at 42 (tried contrast at 90 at first). It just looks a little washed out. Hard to describe. I know black levels are not the same as a DLP, but feels like something's slightly amiss.
post #276 of 881 Old 07-26-2013, 12:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Thanks for the Darbee thoughts, pix and videos. Interesting. Have to ponder the cost as well. Have a feeling that they will be acquired and the functionality baked down to a single $4 chip that'll then get included in blu ray players and maybe also TVs the way the faroudja stuff was.

Weird on the 3D settings. Are you saying that switching the TV to 3D then back to 2D leaves some picture settings the way they are set in the 3D mode?. I wonder, especially if you don't really watch 3D, could you just dial the 3D settings to be exactly as they are in 2D?

On black levels for the STB is hdmi black level adjustable? Or greyed out? If adjustable try the other setting (it should be Low which corresponds to video levels but if your stb is outputting full 0-255 levels for some reason then Normal would be the correct setting.

Double True!
post #277 of 881 Old 07-26-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the Darbee thoughts, pix and videos. Interesting. Have to ponder the cost as well. Have a feeling that they will be acquired and the functionality baked down to a single $4 chip that'll then get included in blu ray players and maybe also TVs the way the faroudja stuff was.

Weird on the 3D settings. Are you saying that switching the TV to 3D then back to 2D leaves some picture settings the way they are set in the 3D mode?. I wonder, especially if you don't really watch 3D, could you just dial the 3D settings to be exactly as they are in 2D?

On black levels for the STB is hdmi black level adjustable? Or greyed out? If adjustable try the other setting (it should be Low which corresponds to video levels but if your stb is outputting full 0-255 levels for some reason then Normal would be the correct setting.

Yeah I'm with you on it being integrated down the line. I've heard they are licensing the tech already.

For the 3D, it's basically keeping the 3D settings but not rendering the image in 3D when I turn it off view the remote. I've found no way to view blu rays in 2D settings. I did find a way to disable 3D on the PS3 which is probably what I'll do. I'd like to avoid changing the 3D settings since I do enjoy watching it sometimes.

Unfortunately, the Hdmi setting is grayed out for me on normal television viewing so can't change it. It's probably not as bad as I am seeing. It seems to be largely based on content.

I did get my exchange today so I'll calibrate that this evening and see if there are any differences.
post #278 of 881 Old 07-27-2013, 03:34 PM

Liked: 10
I just got a Samsung 6400 series smart TV. I don't see any way to operate the TV without the remote control i.e. on/off, menu etc. As you're facing the back of the TV, I see a button on the bottom left corner, could this be the on/off button? I don't' see anything about this button in the manual.
post #279 of 881 Old 07-27-2013, 05:22 PM

If you hit that button on the back it brings up a menu while on and turns the TV on while off. The button also serves as a joystick. It's a weird way of handling things for sure.
post #280 of 881 Old 07-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Thanks cstrasz,

I thought it looked like a little joystick yet part of me thought it might be a "total reset" button.
post #281 of 881 Old 07-27-2013, 05:51 PM

No problem! Yeah I actually hit it by accident when i was fiddling with the back of the tv and saw a menu pop up. Didn't even realize at first there was a way to do functions on the tv itself lol.
post #282 of 881 Old 07-27-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

Same documentary shot of the kid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5k4kxoAN3s

A less than stellar Verizon Fios HDTV feed of Demolition Man. The quality wasn't the best to begin with and it was a bit soft before hand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpLHRpORHR0

Another Verizon Fios HDTV feed on HBO of that crappy Adam Sandler flick, That's My Boy. This feed was better than the Demolition One for sure (mislabelled as Demolition 1 video):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImDwXL9cPwU

Three various scenes from the Avatar Blu Ray. Again, if you've seen this on this set, you know it looks much better than my crappy video feeds, but it gives an idea. This black scene in the first video particularly is much brighter, but my phone toned it down a lot for the video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwbYEnSkQ04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS1s7mGjtzI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URs7qEoIRyM

Four scenes from the Hobbit. Another great quality Blu Ray that is hard to capture on this camera. The one shot of the grass shows some of the detail that can come out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_cvwdKrTIk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvFA1rIRD_Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZ_1mECy_aY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPY9mjNKL4E

can`t see any of these, i get "This video is private."
post #283 of 881 Old 07-27-2013, 07:34 PM

Vril try now.
post #284 of 881 Old 07-27-2013, 08:49 PM

So still playing with the new replacement, but I'm pretty sure this one has clouding just as bad as the last. Pretty much going to chalk it up to the fact that these sets will exhibit some form of clouding. If yours doesn't have it, going to assume you're more in the minority. I don't know if I can swap out for another set, and then another and keep trying to find one that doesn't. It also doesn't sound like the 7100s are much better (although the 8000s I'm guessing are since the micro dimming is more sophisticated but no way am I spending 3K more).

Maybe it will get better in time. Not sure. I tried the microfiber method of massaging areas on the screen with the set I got before this one since it was already going back with clouding issues, and it didn't make a lick of difference. Actually think it made it marginally worse.
post #285 of 881 Old 07-28-2013, 07:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Jeez that's a bummer. I totally hear you about making yet another swap. Even an easy dealer like Amazon it's a pita with a 75" set!

And I agree that you are just as likely playing the panel lottery with the 7100 and 8000 though the 8000 does have the Smart LED "local" dimming that should in theory help overcome clouding to some degree. And both sets give you Cinema Black to dim black bars on 21:9 content.

No one should have to step to the 8000 to get an acceptable picture, that's for sure.

Let us know what you wind up doing. And good luck!

Double True!
post #286 of 881 Old 07-28-2013, 11:08 AM

Yeah. I think part of the problem may be not knowing what to expect with regards to clouding. I get the impression it's inevitable on most of these sets (although I know yours is doing stellar). I only see it during all black screens or when it's 90 percent black, and of the lights are off in the room. Maybe I'm being top picky?
post #287 of 881 Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 PM

In case you were curious! I managed to take some pics tonight of the clouding. Now, granted it looks no where NEAR this bad. It's just the ISO on the camera cranked way the heck up but you can see where the clouding is. However, viewing it as normal in a dark room you will see these spots very faintly on a pure black screen. The bottom most picture is what it looks like in real world conditions.

post #288 of 881 Old 07-29-2013, 09:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

Maybe it's my iPad screen but that bottom picture looks great smile.gif

I would say that the middle picture looks a little worse (slightly more pronounced) than what I would say is average for an edge lit set. It may be that your settings are just over cranked, both backlight and contrast. Maybe time to play with them, or do the day/night thing.

Double True!
post #289 of 881 Old 07-29-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:

Maybe it's my iPad screen but that bottom picture looks great smile.gif

I would say that the middle picture looks a little worse (slightly more pronounced) than what I would say is average for an edge lit set. It may be that your settings are just over cranked, both backlight and contrast. Maybe time to play with them, or do the day/night thing.

I think you're right Anthony. I probably just need to play with the back lighting and contrast. Have you been using the 12 setting for backlighting in both day and night?

Also, have you used the eco setting at all? I'm a bit confused on how it works or if it's worth using. As I understand that may make it so I don't have to make separate day/night settings for every activity on my harmony remote.

I'm just so new to Lcds so still getting acclimated with what is acceptable or not. Coming from the DLP it's definitely different for the black screen uniformity but even still much prefer the clarity and pop Lcds bring. I know it's a less film like image but I love it! Maybe in a few years full array sets will be more common place.

As it stands I don't think I'll be returning or changing from this set. It does most of the things I want and don't want to play the lottery game. smile.gif
post #290 of 881 Old 07-29-2013, 10:29 PM

Liked: 11
Thanks for sharing this. I just ordered the "UN55F6400AFXZA" from Best Buy. Sounds like I'll need to do some work and experimentation with my Logitech Harmony 650 remote. The set is in the Harmony 'database," FWIW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Kalia View Post

My TV has arrived and I can report that it does NOT come with two remotes. I know some web pages say that, and it may be true in Europe, but it is not true in the US.

However, programming a universal remote was easy; the TV responded to the very first Samsung code listed, which is 0812. (This is for OFA remotes---many but not all universal remotes are OFA.)

Unfortunately, the iR remote programmed with just that code doesn't do everything the BT remote does, no equivalent of SmartHub or 3D buttons for example. And while I have a learning remote to which such buttons could be added, it obviously can't learn anything from the supplied BT remote!
post #291 of 881 Old 07-29-2013, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikeer View Post

Thanks for sharing this. I just ordered the "UN55F6400AFXZA" from Best Buy. Sounds like I'll need to do some work and experimentation with my Logitech Harmony 650 remote. The set is in the Harmony 'database," FWIW.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Kalia View Post

My TV has arrived and I can report that it does NOT come with two remotes. I know some web pages say that, and it may be true in Europe, but it is not true in the US.

However, programming a universal remote was easy; the TV responded to the very first Samsung code listed, which is 0812. (This is for OFA remotes---many but not all universal remotes are OFA.)

Unfortunately, the iR remote programmed with just that code doesn't do everything the BT remote does, no equivalent of SmartHub or 3D buttons for example. And while I have a learning remote to which such buttons could be added, it obviously can't learn anything from the supplied BT remote!

I had no problems programming the harmony remote. The model showed up and I have buttons for my TV activity that correspond to 3D and the smart hub.
post #292 of 881 Old 07-30-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

@cstrasz - I do leave it on 12 all the time. In a pitch black room at night it's a touch too bright at times (eg fades to white, etc), but my wife and I usually leave some bias light on in the room.

I haven't played with the Eco setting but theoretically yes - it should help alleviate the need for separate day/night settings. I guess if it worked perfectly it'd be great. My concern with stuff like that is unintended or unwanted fluctuations, like clouds pass over the sun briefly and the picture momentarily brightens then dims when the clouds pass. I think that would drive me nuts though admittedly I've not tried it. I would also worry about unintended consequences like the idea that other settings might be better changed when the picture brightness changes. Picture settings tend to be interdependent, so unless the feature is really smart I'm not sure it wouldn't cause more problems than it solves. Maybe I should just try it smile.gif

Double True!
post #293 of 881 Old 07-30-2013, 08:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Just got my UN55F6400 last night. smile.gif Still trying to dial it in for good color in terms of flesh tones, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz View Post

I had no problems programming the harmony remote. The model showed up and I have buttons for my TV activity that correspond to 3D and the smart hub.

Yeah, same here. Though the "trackpad" on the remote is still useful. I'm finding the voice commands nearly useless, though.

Don't believe everything on the Interwebz! A duck's quack DOES echo!
post #294 of 881 Old 07-31-2013, 11:24 AM
AVS Club Gold

Welcome Tulpa. Have you tried starting with Buzz' settings from the F8000 calibration he did? They work really well IMO as a starting place on the 6400 as well. I posted them somewhere earlier in this thread. Let me know if you can't find and I will repost.

Double True!
post #295 of 881 Old 08-01-2013, 07:12 PM

My 55F400 arrives tomorrow - woo hoo smile.gif In looking at Consumer Reports' review of this model, I see that they recommend a Tint setting of G55R45.
todecoulter likes this.
post #296 of 881 Old 08-01-2013, 11:55 PM

I found a professional calibration done with F6400. You can read the full review here...

http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/samsung-lcd-tv/samsung-f6400-picture-settings.html

Good tips as well if it comes out a little too dim of how you can brighten it up. Though with any TV that is darker the colors are more natural.

Here's the calibration!

Post Calibration Settings

Picture Mode Movie
Backlight 16
Contrast 96
Brightness 47
Sharpness 13
Color 50
Tint G50/R50

ADVANCE SETTINGS
Dynamic Contrast Off
Black Tone Off
Flesh Tone 0
RGB Only Mode Off
Color Space Auto
10pt White Balance On
Gamma +1
Expert Pattern Off
xvYCC Off

PICTURE OPTIONS
Color Tone Warm2
Digital Noise Filter Off
MPEG Noise Filter Off
HDMI Black Level Normal (Low if available)
Film Mode Off
Auto Motion Plus Off
LED Motion Plus Off

10PT WHITE BALANCE
ON

Interval Red Green Blue
1 0 1 0
2 1 0 -2
3 0 0 2
4 0 0 0
5 -1 0 +1
6 0 -1 0
7 -1 -2 -2
8 0 2 1
9 1 0 0
10 2 1 0

WHITE BALANCE
Setting Value
R-Offset 25
G-Offset 25
B-Offset 27
R-Gain 19
G-Gain 22
B-Gain 21
SCREEN ADJUSTMENT
Picture Size Screen Fit

Quote:
F6400 Calibration Notes: The F6400 has an easy time calibrating to the D6500K color temperature with help from a simple 10 point white balance system. A Color Management System is also available that includes a luminance setting for each color. For a more natural looking picture that is suited for dimly lit to darker rooms on the F6400 try the following settings for yourself and adjust accordingly. It may initially look dim and subdued compared to the preset picture mode settings, but much more natural. Unless there is a lot of window light coming into the room these settings should work well. If that is not the case try turning up the backlight and if that still is not bright enough then go to the Standard setting versus the Movie setting. You would only need these options.
post #297 of 881 Old 08-02-2013, 09:35 AM

Hey all, i just picked up a 55" 6400. I love all the functions so far and the picture is far superior to the LG i had before.

After setting up the TV and IR blaster, I am findin myself very limited by the cable length of the emitter. Does anyone know what extension cable i could use to route this through the wall? or could i get the new BT IR Blaster that comes with the 8000?

Thanks for any help.
post #298 of 881 Old 08-02-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyGuyCMT View Post

Hey all, i just picked up a 55" 6400. I love all the functions so far and the picture is far superior to the LG i had before.

After setting up the TV and IR blaster, I am findin myself very limited by the cable length of the emitter. Does anyone know what extension cable i could use to route this through the wall? or could i get the new BT IR Blaster that comes with the 8000?

Thanks for any help.

There was a discussion about IR blaster cables in one of the Harmony remote threads and iirc the consensus was that the only thing you needed to worry about was whether it was a 2.5 or 3.5mm jack, but that these things were otherwise generic. Haven't tried myself so can't be sure though...

Double True!
post #299 of 881 Old 08-04-2013, 12:13 AM

Hey Anthony, what level of clouding do you have on your set? I know you mentioned watching the tv with dimmed lighting and not having the room entirely dark. Do you still see clouding in that case? Still trying to get a picture I'm happy with that doesn't exhibit clouding on an all black screen in a dark room, but not sure if that's even possible with LCD edge lit tech.
post #300 of 881 Old 08-04-2013, 08:39 AM
AVS Club Gold

Yeah I saw that you'd reposted your pic in the 7100 forum. Two things I would say...maybe three.

- if I crank my settings then the pattern of my clouding is similar to yours, ie worst on the left especially the lower left.

- at the settings I actually use I don't see it in practice with the occasional exception of a compete fade to black, and even then it's not as bad as that middle picture you'd posted previously

- my perception of it has decreased over time. That could be because it's gotten better, or it could be because my mind has adjusted

All that said, it seems like your set is worse than mine. I know it's a total pain but I would exchange it for another 6400. If its not much better the third time around, you could try stepping up to the 7100 for set 4 to see if it's better.

I know that would involve two more swaps from here but I wouldn't spend the extra $1000 unless I felt it absolutely required.

Double True!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46f6400 46 Inch 3d Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Sony Bravia Kdl32bx320 32 Inch 720p Lcd Hdtv Black , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Samsung 50 Inch Led Hdtv Un50eh6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page